Sign in to follow this  
radical.ghost

Instant viewdistance

Hi there, thanks to i0n0s, InstantViewDistance (IVD) v2.0 ist out, so all further credits go to him.

It's not that big, but however it should be quite useful for a lot of COOP - players out there :smile_o:

This AddOn enables you to alter your viewdistance and terraindetail settings anywhere and anytime in every mission while the mission is running.

i0n0s made a complete overhauled version of InstantViewDistance,

now it comes with GUI and works from inside Vehicles, too.

And one thing to add:

!! DO NOT USE THIS ADDON IN ANY PVP - TYPE MISSIONS AS THIS WILL BE CONSIDERED CHEATING !!

From the version 2.0 - readme:

Instant View Distance v2.0

initial release by radical.ghost,

complete overhauled version by i0n0s

=====================================

This Addon enables you to alter your viewDistance settings anywhere anytime.

Just use the "MouseWheel - Menu" to bring up a neat GUI dialog

and change your settings like you desire.

Installation:

-------------

Put the files

-> ION_InstantViewDistance.pbo

-> ION_InstantViewDistance.pbo.IVD_RG.bisign

into your desired AddOn / Modfolder and there you go.

The file

-> IVD_RG.bikey

is relevant to server administrators only.

Requirements:

-------------

This addon requires Extended Eventhandlers v1.9 or higher to work

(Included in this archive)

Usage:

------

Click on the left or right slider arrow to increase or decrease your VD at 500m

steps.

Click on the left or right side of the slider bar to increase or decrease

your VD at 1000m steps.

Drag the Arrow on the slider bar left or right to increase or decrease

your VD at 100m steps.

Use the buttons above the slider to set your VD directly to that value.

Use the buttons below the slider to switch your terrain detail level.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Note:

-----

It is strictly advised to use this AddOn in COOP - type Missions only

as it could and

probably WILL be considered cheating using this in any PVP - type Missions.

you have been warned..

Tested with ArmA v1.14

-> This Addon is client side only.

Knowing bugs:

None.

Changelog:

----------

v2.0 - thanks to i0n0s

Fixed: "Mousewheel - Menu" - entry now available from inside vehicles, too.

Added: GUI - Dialog with slider and buttons for quicker, more intuitive access

Added: Stringtable.csv for translation between english and german

v1.1

Fixed: "Mousewheel - Menu" - entry now available after respawn, too.

v1.0

Initial release

Credits:

--------

Crowe for helping me out with some scripting problems

i0n0s for his improvements and the new version 2.0 of this little helper

Download Mirror:

RapidShare - InstantViewDistance v2.0

ArmAHolic - InstantViewDistance v2.0

Thanks to Crowe for answering a lot of questions.

Thanks to i0n0s for the new Version of InstantViewDistance

Edited by radical.ghost
Text formatting was messed up due to forum change

Great addon by the looks of it. Also, can you set VD above 10 000 with this?

Outstaning work!! Just tried it on our server...we are now making it part of our manditory addons. This is a feature I have been waiting on for a LONG time.

After a few deaths on our server, I found that the menu option for this addon disappeared entirely. It worked at first ( worked great, very easy to use! ) but then stopped.

After it disappeared, I couldn't enter any vehicles or aircraft. Any ideas on this?

I've taken it out of my addon folder for now, hopefully you can figure this out because it looks to be a very handy thing to have smile_o.gif

By the way, radical.ghost, your avatar is from Ghost in the Shell, right? Its too small to read on here, but it looks like one of the images from Stand alone...

This is a cheat for all PvP maps.. for the love of god.. dont host it.. PVP games get ruined enough.. i dont want games where there is small vd for some nut jobs to come and ruin it with this...  wink_o.gif

Make it as a script pack for mission makers to add and not an Addon FOR CHEATERS

This is a cheat for all PvP maps.. for the love of god.. dont host it.. PVP games get ruined enough.. i dont want games where there is small vd for some nut jobs to come and ruin it with this...  wink_o.gif

Make it as a script pack for mission makers to add and not an  Addon FOR CHEATERS

Well anyone with two brain cells can figure out how to make a cheat. It's all common knowledge.

Primitive and self-centered people all around the world make cheats for various games and it is in fact quite simple even without an opened system like this one (hard part is not getting caugth on AC, but some of them menage to do so... ArmA has none, so making cheats should be very easy).

Flaming people on BIS Forums does not stop cheating in PvP servers, that would make fighting cheaters plain and simple.

I think your post makes no sense at all.

And yeah, server admins will be sooooo glad if instead of allowing one addon they'll have to edit dozens of misions on their server and reupload them.

icon_rolleyes.gif

i spent some time on viewdistance tweaking on-the-fly last year... because of the problematics with PvP games it was taken out...

using higher viewdistances in air depending on speed was a nice feature, but it was left behind, too ...

don't mind, it's not senseless .. you can still use them for SP and COOP missions...

After a few deaths on our server, I found that the menu option for this addon disappeared entirely. It worked at first ( worked great, very easy to use! ) but then stopped.

After it disappeared, I couldn't enter any vehicles or aircraft. Any ideas on this?

@ James2785

No ideas yet, but I'm looking into it.

Will see if there is something I missed..

And yes, well recognized the avatar, quite few people out there who know where its taken from smile_o.gif

@ Opteryx

There is currently no limitation on the value you set the viewdistance on and I did not touch that because I couldn't see any problems coming with this.

@ Matt Rochelle

As I stated before, do not use this in any PVP - type missions..

I know that there are a lot of morons out there trying to get advantage over other players with this AddOn but:

1. There are too many COOP - type missions out there that would need to be updated and re downloaded by every client just for adding a larger viewdistance.

2. Cheaters are able to alter their viewdistance anyhow with little effort and gain their advantage from being able to do so while others are not.

So if such an AddOn is available for ALL to download and use, the advantage the cheaters currently have above players will be quite zeroed out because EVERYONE may alter his / her viewdistance to a larger value.

My opinion is:

This AddOn is meant for the use in COOP - type missions, while it is POSSIBLE,

do not use this addon in PVP - type missions.

I signed this addon so admins may decide whether or not they allow it on signature verificating servers.

So if your server is playing PVP - type missions mostly it would be the better choice to not allow it beeing loaded for the clients, but this decision is up to the admins to make.

New Version available for Download, check the first post.

@ James2785

Indeed there was something I missed, that AddOn should work properly even after respawn now.

..stupid me..

I could not replicate the problem you had with not beeing able to enter any vehicles.

I guess it may have to do with some lag you had in your mission..

And if not, I guess it should be gone by now smile_o.gif

I love you Radical.Ghost!!!

Finally I can play with a view setting I find fit and not some 1200m preset setting because of some ppl using mid end PC's smile_o.gif:):)

This mod beats all mods so far.

@Matt.... pfff

for these who claim this to be cheat ...

there is way how limit viewdistance in needed or rnd areas or whole map ...

look at NIM dynamic weather, Evolution missions etc.

this way if there is 'clear' visibility no problem to see 3,5 km but if there is fog, cloudy, storm, rain w/e visibility drops to correct range ...

and it's way more natural ...

so to counter this 'cheat addon' in PvP all You need is 'weather addon' to adjust visibility for all clients on MP server no matter what is theirs VIEWDISTANCE set to

yeah, I'd like to have this tonight with me, so I could set VD 100 km and see my house from my cousin's place wink_o.gif and watch far fireworks biggrin_o.gif

@ Uziyahu--IDF

I'm afraid I don't know exactly what you are thinking of with that.

If you want to alter your zoomlevel during a mission I recommend the use of some scopes or a binocular.

Also there is a nice AddOn out made by HeinBloed so called GDTModOptics:

The GDTModOptics - Addon changes:

- Zoom on binocular and laserdesignator.

- Clear optics for gunner, commander and all weapons.

- No negative zoom on Ironsight weapons.

- Smaller aimpoint.

- Zoom for gunner and commander (Only commander with weapon).

- New KA-50 weapon optics.

- Optics for RPG and M136. Calibrated to 300, 400 and 500 meters. Rangefinder calibrated.

This is one I like quite much as it gives me some nice and handy features for a lot of COOP - games.

GDT Page

And BTW:

A happy new year to all of you smile_o.gif

Nice work radical.ghost. This is a nice addon to use with coop missions.

One idea to help with PvP maps, is allow it so you can turn off the addon scripts in the mission config. That way if a person makes a PvP map, they can set the mission to not allow the view distance scripts from you addon to work. Just an idea.

I like this addon. Putting the VD to 500m practically stops any LOD issue I have.... for a bit longer.

However i was playing Evo again today and after dying and respawning the menu simply disappeared. Could this be a conflict of some sort on Evo maps?

@ rekster

Nice Idea, had the same one a couple of days ago.

I have already a built - in solution for this:

In your Mission - init.sqf / sqs add the following line:

"executed = 1;"

( but in the next version (v1.2) I will change that one to be:

"IVDS_disabled = 1;" )

That should prevent the AddOn to be activated in that specific Mission.

Did only a short test with that and it worked quite well.

@ BroK3n

That issue you have should be because you probably have the old version (v1.0) of Instant viewdistance installed.

Check the first post and grab the 1.1 version from there.

That should help.

@ BroK3n

That issue you have should be because you probably have the old version (v1.0) of Instant viewdistance installed.

Check the first post and grab the 1.1 version from there.

That should help.

Ah, didnt see that one. Should solve the problem. Thanks!

what would cause this mod to suddenly stop working for a whole group of people? would it being on the server have anything to do with it? no new addons or scripts were added

Excellent addon!

Have a suggestion:

- How about adding shortcut keys for the different views? And configurable if you want it to be shown in the UI-menu.