Sign in to follow this  
Drongo69

Coin command

Public Beta 0.3 - Now includes a template version with very few addons.

CoIn Command is a single player CoIn-themed RTS. The purpose of this release is to gain as much feedback as possible in order to tweak unit pricing and general gameplay flow. Continued support will depend on feedback.

From the readme:

Quote[/b] ]CoCom is an RTS that pits a modern army (Blufor) against a networked insurgency (Res). The player is the commander of Blufor. As he gains logistics points (generated by recruiting Logistics Officers), he can requisition various land and air forces, as well as intelligence assets, various upgrades and indirect fires.

Res is controlled by the AI and deploys a range of important people, or High Value Targets (HVTs). These HVTs have different functions, such as recruiting and deploying rebel squads, generating resources or buying upgrades.

Features:

- Includes a version with default BIS units on Nogova

- Also includes an addon-heavy version on Libya

- Detailed command system

- Give orders to infantry, IFVs, MBTs, recon helos, gunships, etc

- Call in airstrikes, artillery (CoC UA), UAVs, special forcers insertions

- Highly randomised enemy allows for high replayability

- Civilians (civilian deaths has a negative impact on Blufor)

- Intelligence simulation (for revealing enemy bases and leaders)

- Different enemy leaders, including agitators, trainers and masterminds

- Easily ported to new islands and units

- Easily tweaked gameplay values to suit each player's tastes

- Various upgrades, eg. Artillery, Intel, Airpower, SpecOps, etc

Known issues:

Quote[/b] ]- Games can not be saved due to the OFP savegame bug.

- If the camera is on a unit that dies and the unit is deleted (by the "Killed" EH), then the camera will be stuck in that position and the player will have to quit.

- Once an enemy unit has been detected by Blufor units, it will be a "known" unit until it dies, even if it breaks contact with Blufor.

- Blufor units in vehicles often don't detect (or report) enemy infantry, even if they are right on top of them.

Download: > CoIn Command public beta 03 (~329kb)<

Required addons:

CoC Unified Artillery 1.10

USMC symbols

Dragonwarrior UAV beta 4

For the version on DMA Libya, you will also need the following addons:

DMA Middle East Guerillas

DMA Technicals

DMA ME Civs

Facetex

JAM 3

DMA Libya

Libya Addons

Mapfact Baracken

Mapfact Oil

Mapfact MilObj

Mapfact Airport/Mines

3WX Objects

CAT Afghanistan Revisited

cocom1a.jpg

cocom2a.jpg

cocom5a.jpg

I get error message

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Preprocessor failed on file missions\__cur_sq.dma_libya\description.ext - error1

when trying to start the mission from the single missions list.

errorgx9.jpg

I can't reproduce the error on my PC. Do you have the Dragonwarrior UAV and COC UA installed? The only entries in description.ext are:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#include <DragonWarrior\resource.cpp>

#include <CoC_FED\FED.hpp>

So I don't know what else could be causing this error. What happens if you open the mission in the editor?

Oh silly old me, I forgot to load the UA addon banghead.gif

I am awfully sorry about that.

But now I have the next problem:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">No entry 'config.cpp/CfgWorlds.dma_libya'.

This missing config message on start of the briefing and instead of Libya, Desert Island is loaded. I have checked the Libya map in the editor and it works there.

Maybe I miss a needed addon for Libya? But why does it work without problems in the editor then?

Update on the missing config error: I have depboed the mission pbo file and discovered that it has the ending "DMA_LIBYA" whereas the missions from my Libya ilsand version have the ending "libya_256"; I have changed the ending of the folder accordingly and it appears to work as it should.

The handling of the units is quite complicated. It would be nice to use CoC CE2 to control the purchased units. The CE is more user friendly in my opinion, for example when mounting units and the player could define patrol waypoints himself and so on.

I would also like to take command of purchased units, again this would be possible with the CE.

You would have to place your purchase radio commands and so on into the Special category of the CE radio commands but I guess it fould fit in.

First post updated with beta 0.2. It now includes a low-addon template version using BIS units on Nogova. CoC UA, Dragonwarrior and USMC symbols are still required.

Quote[/b] ]The handling of the units is quite complicated. It would be nice to use CoC CE2 to control the purchased units. The CE is more user friendly in my opinion, for example when mounting units and the player could define patrol waypoints himself and so on.

I would also like to take command of purchased units, again this would be possible with the CE.

You would have to place your purchase radio commands and so on into the Special category of the CE radio commands but I guess it fould fit in.

Thanks for the feedback. I originally started making this with CoC CE. I would have much preferred to have used CE (it would have saved me a lot of time, as well as CE being a much better system), but I wasn't sure how to add dynamically generated groups into the CE framework.

I'm using the low-addon-template (PBO-version):

Errors:

- Missing addon hunter

- I get no intel points at all (stays at 0)

- first found HVT is marked on map (through tactical intel), any further HVTs are not marked

Also, enemy groups are sometimes marked on map, sometimes not (With that big enemy infantry group marker).

Also I think, that gathering lots of logistics officers should not scale in a linear manner. Right now it seems, you just 'build' many logistic officers and then it's hard to run out of logistic points.

Perhaps every group (based on type) should take away logistic points. A tank group requires more logistic points to run than an infantry group.

But then, it's always nice to keep it simple.

EDIT:

Looking into the scripts, Intel does not accumulate for every version.

but I wasn't sure how to add dynamically generated groups into the CE framework.

Mh, can't you name units via the init code with createUnit or whatever you use to generate the groups the player can buy?

I am pretty sure that you can expand/alter the CE unit arrays on the fly during a mission.

A possibility I see is to "pre-purchase" the units for the player, that means place them in the editor and give them names to prepare them for the CE (but they are not controllable right from the beginning). For example you could place 3 IFV groups, 3 Mech. Infantry groups, 5 sniper teams and so on in the editor with apporpriate names and everytime the player buys one group type you could add them to the CE arrays. That would limit the amount of troops the player can have but with the size of the AO this would not be a bad thing to begin with.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote[/b] ]- Missing addon hunter

- I get no intel points at all (stays at 0)

- first found HVT is marked on map (through tactical intel), any further HVTs are not marked

Also, enemy groups are sometimes marked on map, sometimes not (With that big enemy infantry group marker).

The source of the missing addon and the lack of intel points have been found. I will release a fixed version shortly addressing these problems.

As for enemy units being marked, only ones that are detected should be marked. Are detected units not displaying the marker?

Quote[/b] ]Mh, can't you name units via the init code with createUnit or whatever you use to generate the groups the player can buy?

I am pretty sure that you can expand/alter the CE unit arrays on the fly during a mission.

If I get any motivation to keep working on this, I'll take a look at converting to CE. However, it doesn't look like there is much interest in this mission, so after I fix the more glaring bugs, I'll probably abandon it.

Thanks for all you hard work on this tacrod! Can't wait to see the finished results!

As for enemy units being marked, only ones that are detected should be marked. Are detected units not displaying the marker?

For HVTs, they are marked correctly when 'found' by intel. But it seems that HVTs that are found by soldiers ('tactical intel'wink_o.gif aren't marked sometimes (I think only the first one).

Also, sometimes an enemy group is marked by that NATO marker, sometimes not (most of the time not).

Some suggestions:

- use the NATO marker for enemy infantry (diamond shape instead of rectangle), like CE does it

- groups should report enemy groups (position and strength)

example:

"Contact at AA00, counting 4 Infantry, 1 APC. Out."

- Clickable group markers: clicking on a unit's marker automatically selects the unit

Hi there.

Sounds good.  Sounds complex too.

I've moved over to ArmA:QG. I'll have to re-install OFP and give your mission a whirle. smile_o.gif

EDIT: just downloaded the mission and read the readme.txt.  sounds like a lot of thought  has gone into this mission.  Well done.

I like the idea of the patrol feature, where troops will patrol for opfor. But how about a ‘road block’ option.  

Blufor troops (and road barriers or wire) are positioned on roads into and out of larger towns to intercept traffic and there for limit movement of the insurgency and sloly gain intel from the locals.  

However if the road block is in position for too long it runs the risk of being car bombed or otherwise attacked, adversely affecting ‘Will’…

What do you think?

First post edited with small update. Changes:

Quote[/b] ]

- Changed enemy unit markers to EnemyInfantry and EnemyArmour

- Fixed a bug with intel not incrementing

- Added dummies to make spawning easier and eliminate missing addon problems

I haven't fixed the bugs related to detection and intel yet. Clicking markers to select units and more detailed reporting are good ideas too.

Quote[/b] ]But how about a ‘road block’ option.

Blufor troops (and road barriers or wire) are positioned on roads into and out of larger towns to intercept traffic and there for limit movement of the insurgency and sloly gain intel from the locals.

However if the road block is in position for too long it runs the risk of being car bombed or otherwise attacked, adversely affecting ‘Will’…

The original concept had agitators that moved across the map to infiltrate towns, requiring Blufor to set up roadblocks to cut off such traffic. I also had plans for carbombs to be generated as an alternative unit at trainers. If I keep working on this, I'll think about adding these elements.

Hey Tacrod,

I just got around to trying out Coin command.

Although I haven't really explored it fully yet,so

I don't have any bugs to report.

But it's a great concept,and very enjoyable so far.

So I'll be spending a bit more time with it.

The clickable markers definitely do sound like

a nice idea.Are they feasible?

In any case,nice work so far.Hope you find the

interest to continue adding to it.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But how about a ‘road block’ option.  

The original concept had agitators that moved across the map to infiltrate towns, requiring Blufor to set up roadblocks to cut off such traffic. I also had plans for carbombs to be generated as an alternative unit at trainers. If I keep working on this, I'll think about adding these elements.

ah-ha!

So, great minds really do think alike.

thumbs-up.gif

The clickable markers definitely do sound like

a nice idea.Are they feasible?

Some suggestions:

- use the NATO marker for enemy infantry (diamond shape instead of rectangle), like CE does it

- groups should report enemy groups (position and strength)

example:

"Contact at AA00, counting 4 Infantry, 1 APC. Out."

- Clickable group markers: clicking on a unit's marker automatically selects the unit

*cough*

User the Command Engine

*cough*

tounge2.gif

I had a look into the scripts to estimate how much work it would be to make it CE compatible on my own, but no chance. I don't have the time these days to work with such scripts that are not mine.

The road block and VBIED idea sounds great. Is there actually any civilian traffic involved in the mission?

For atmospheric civilian traffic you could use DAC zones with custom waypoints (infantry and/or unarmed vehicles zones). It is something I use frequently in my self made missions and it is quite nice I think.