Sign in to follow this  
avguste

Arma questions

Hello everyone

I am considering purchasing ArmA.I do however have a few questions:

1. How large is the community?

2.How would you compare ArmA with Americas Army?

I just found about the specs,monthly fees and where to get

Please tell me honestly if it is worth to purchase

Thank you

Community is fairly small on the player side of things, but you will still meet a lot of new people every day online. The main strength in terms of size is of the modding and mission making community, which is huge compared to all the games I know that someone might call similar, and this means that ArmA is a totally new experience every time you want one.

It's been a while since I looked at AA, but when I did the differences where huge in online play and I was pretty disappointed by it after the quite immersive training. The general attitude in online games is much better in OFP/ArmA, games are much much more varied, much bigger scale and much more realistic. One thing that helps a lot in getting good experiences in online play with ArmA is that fact that the community is more mature in their behaviour, not everyone but most. And another thing that helps a lot is that there are more missions and more dynamic missions, this helps people not to get bored and behave like idiots and it helps them not become overly adapted to particular missions - AA was from memory a circus of beyond visible range machinegun fire and total inability to hide by camouflage because everyone knows exactly what that particular bush is supposed to look like and so on, ArmA is none of that - unless you seek it out wink_o.gif

thank you for the answer. Isn't the fairly small community meaning that there are not always people to play with?

For regular gaming sessions the best bet is to join a squad, there are loads out there and you can find one for pretty much every continent in the world, the advantage to joining a squad is also that you generally have access to a private server and play with a regular bunch of people so will find the experience less tainted by the immature element smile_o.gif

But then again, on public servers you do get to meet a lot of regulars that may or may not be in a squad.

I rarely find myself alone on a server...

Hello everyone

I just found about the specs,monthly fees and where to get

Please tell me honestly if it is worth to purchase

Of course its worth the purchase, there are no monthly fees.

I play online and always servers and spots

Can't really compare to Americas Army for a few reasons.

No bunny hop, Arma has vehicles which puts it in simulator class

Demo available here, unfortunately I am not sure of how many demo servers online

http://www.armedassault.com/dwnl_demo.html

Have fun !

I would just like to interject that the gameplay of ArmA has evolved a lot since the demo. The demo is actually quite a lot worse than the latest version of the game.

I don't get it. The game is only $40US. Buy it. I've seen people buy $60 console games by just looking at the pictures! You can do alot worse with your money.

--Ben

I would second finding a private squad to play with online. ArmA's game play works best when there is a closer connection with people, rather then the one with some random and recreational players on public servers.

Comparing ArmA and AA is a bit different also. America's ArmA is not unlike some of the other mainstream modern warfare shooters today. ArmA I would say is in a separate class. and there are no close comparisons to it besides Operation Flashpoint.

In my opinion, the purchase is well worth it. Not only for the stock game, but the amount of free content available from the excellent modding community. But then again, more "mainstream" gamers expecting a certain type of game, more arcade-like, similar to the recent Ghost Recon games, or Call of Duty games will not find what they are looking for.

well, maybe I should not say that, but if you want to be cheap, you can buy ArmA on ebay for abou $12, shipping included. This way you will save the WORD by recycling smile_o.gif

buy in store if you want to save the BIS instead smile_o.gif