Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

Consistent, unexplained crashes to desktop

Hey guys,

I've posted in the GENERAL forum a few days ago. As you may know, with the Christmas just around the corner (and with me having 10-days off work, finally), I've decided to buy a nice, $2,000 gaming rig and try Armed Assault, having been a devoted fan of Op. Flashpoint/Resistance some years back.

Sadly, over the past two hours, as I've tried to customize keyboard controls, and as I engaged in the first mission, ArmA has crashed to desktop at least a dozen times. It had happened in 1.06 as well as in 1.08 (after upgrading). For what it's worth, everything works fine (while it works). The only thing I can notice is that sound sounds pretty rough. The conversation the grunts are having in the HMMWVs in the first mission is razzy.

In any case, Crysis has been working flawlessly (for what it's worth), so I'm unsure whether this is ArmA-specific, or my system-specific error.

I'm running WinXP Home 32-bit, on nVidia GeForce 8800GTS (640MB RAM) and Intel Core 2 DUo with 1GB DDR 800 RAM.

If anyone can offer some pointers as to how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Your going to need to give more information as to what the crash is.

If I had to take a guess, its probably the 800700e(or whatever it  is) cant create texture problem.

If so, try in your shortcut -maxmem=512

You could also try the new 1.09 Beta patch which should also fix this same error.....Also it clears up the fog bug for 8800 cards so it looks better.

You know, it just happened in Crysis too. Blue screen of death. After restarting Windows, it identified the problem as RAM-related.

I ordered a pair of 1gb Corsair XMS2, one of which was faulty out of the box. I wouldn't be surprised if the single 1GB module I did install had a few faulty sectors too.

That's what you get for paying double over Kingston ValuRam. Let me order another pair. Hopefully that will remedy the issue. If not, I'll post again :-)

Cheers