Sign in to follow this  
Winters1807

Winters realisitc artillery support script

Winters Realistic Artillery Support Script

The featured artillery has been based off of real dispersion, frequency and numbers of artillery units in a battery.

Although they may not look pretty i have tried to make them as realistic as possible.

It features the following:

Flares:

50mm Mortars :

80mm Mortars :

Artillery :

Precision Artillery :

Spot Round :

Smoke :

Copperhead : (Guided Artillery Shell)

http://files.filefront.com/WintersRealArtyrar/;9299734;/fileinfo.html

Again, Credit goes to Psych for making the original script.

Armaholic : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2540

Combat Prison : http://prison.tibet225.server4you.de/ww2pn...._id=377

Cheers for the mirrors.

All good, used it a few times and it seems ok. Any problems and jus report em back here and i will see what i can do.

Nice scripts Winters, I'm using it for my mission and it works very well so far!

btw, I forgot to mention that the 81mm mortars don't make any noise.

hello thanks I have used this but i cant re target once a round has been shot

it always stays in same place could you help?

thanks

forget it I think it works now

just the marker wont move.

Yea, the 81mm mortars dont make a noise, but it depends on what sound pack you use, the best ordinance in the game that fits the 81mm mortars are the grenades dropped from the camels, however, a lot of sound modders leave that out, though you can just tweak the config file of the sound mod to get the sound working.

And about the markers, im not too sure as i didnt make the original script, i jus did some research and changed things rather than make it from scratch.

Nice bit of scripting - I'm trying to add it to some missions and have it working to a point. What I have noticed is that once you have used the support, it goes from the Radio options and therefore can't be used again.

How do I edit the scripts to get the support on more than one occasion?

Rich

Nice bit of scripting - I'm trying to add it to some missions and have it working to a point. What I have noticed is that once you have used the support, it goes from the Radio options and therefore can't be used again.

How do I edit the scripts to get the support on more than one occasion?

Rich

Hi.

In order to make them reuseable make sure you set the trigger to "repeat" and not just once only.

Hope this helped

Winters

Just briefly checking through the scripts. Looks nice, but could be improved quite a bit imho, if you're up for the challenge smile_o.gif

* Use actual fireorder communications, even if it becomes textbased radio only. It takes time to order the firemission, have it repeated, being asked for a code and reply, giving coordinates and so on. It's not click on the map and instant boom. But 120 seconds seem too long without any communications.

* SPLASH is given some seconds before impact, but I think only on high angle missions, or certain munitions. Time of Flight (TOF) can also be randomly requested in some missions, and always offered to the observer in other missions, depending on the nature of the given mission.

* Copperhead missions require lazing a target. Although they do pack a punch, the bomb used seems a bit over the top. In my own artillery script, I dropped the projectile(s) from above. If lazing target was good and within original request radius, it would hit the lazed target. If not, it would fall into the point designated by the placed marker.

* Ordering smoke delivers a single canister of smoke. In real life, it delivers quite a few canisters spread over an area depending on the altitude of the burst, per shot. Smoke however has very little use for human player against AI, as only humans are affected in a bad way of it. Unless using viewblock objects that is.

* Illumination usually have the option of lateral, range, or lateral and range spread. The latter forming a diamond pattern with illumination using four guns.

* I think mortar and artillery should be kept separate units. That is, in a call they would have different designations.

* I'm not sure if the M119 can deliver copperheads. If 155mm artillery is simulated, at least have support for DPICM types of munitions (airburst clusterbomblets). They are just <b>that</b> much fun, at least in a game/computer simulation tounge2.gif

* Consider also the possibility of FASCAM (antiarmor RAAMS and antipersonell ADAM) minefield laying capabilities. I wasn't successful with these; the builtin mines don't fall to the ground when created in an airburst, and personell mines require automatic creation of triggers.

* And this I think is very important; have the artillery unit reject using certain ammunition types into certain areas. They would i.e. allkow DPICM near populated areas or near civilian targets. Less restrictive for HE shelling, and probably no restrictions for smoke, illumination, and copperheads. In my own artillery I checked against placed area markers if target was in valid area, using empty markers to identify their centers. When munition was decided, the markers would show up and reject the mission if no allowed.

* Ammunition count system. Say, you have a certain amount of HE, Illumination, and DPICM rounds. Automatic reloading of guns until all ammunition is depleted. Maybe ammo trucks that can resupply to a certain extend, but not unlimited.

* Ease of use so that AI can call in artillery support to their wanted locations. With that, I mean that the script call could contain only the neccessary basic for a firemission by using no parameters, or a fully featured firemission with detailed communications using a lot of parameters.

* A slight randomization of the communication is always nice. Sometimes use grid reference, sometimes use polar reference.

* I never got into adjust fires, only fire for effect. But I see how it could be done: Drop one round onto map target, but have a slightly great randomness added to it. Then have observer adjust. When fired for effect, it will use the modified coordinates instead of the designated target.

These are just some ideas I have. I have no problem using a "fake" delivery system (no actual trajectories), as long as the "feel" seems correct. That is, communications, effect of round(s), realism in general. To me it is more important that the objectives are met (and credited for) than the actual scoreboard crediting the artillery kill.

I did try the M119 addon, which utilizes proper flight/life-time and ballistics using actual angle calculations, but I had serious problems with ammunition getting stuck or something; the guns wouldn't fire nor reload after a random number of shots, getting stuck. It also unneccessary "gave away" the calculations, which are really not needed. It did, however, use action menus for options and could be used with a single radio trigger event. This is a better approach for me than using a radio trigger for everything that deals with artillery. You quickly run into radiotrigger availability problems smile_o.gif An even better approach would be the dialog, but this looks like a bitch to program and I'll avoid it biggrin_o.gif

I've seen videos on youtube with something that looks like the God of all ArmA artillery addons, with proper dialogs and everything. But I'm not sure about the status of this project.

Just some of my thoughts about the magic of "realistic" artillery smile_o.gif

Using dropped Camel grenades for mortars? Hmm, nice. Thanks for the idea.

Is there any way to get past the whole mapclick and instead just tying them to a trigger or a gamelogic's position, so you just get bombs dropping from the sky in those awesome dispersion patterns?

I'm a total novice when it comes to scripting so if it's shit-easy, sorry in advance.

Is there any way to get past the whole mapclick and instead just tying them to a trigger or a gamelogic's position, so you just get bombs dropping from the sky in those awesome dispersion patterns?

I'm a total novice when it comes to scripting so if it's shit-easy, sorry in advance.

sorry dude, the only way i can think of doing that would be to set co-ordinates in the sqs file, but i wouldn't know how to do that as i did more research concerning this script and kept script monkeying to a minimum wink_o.gif

sorry dude, the only way i can think of doing that would be to set co-ordinates in the sqs file, but i wouldn't know how to do that as i did more research concerning this script and kept script monkeying to a minimum  wink_o.gif

Ah, that's a shame.

I saw a script called bombardement (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1136) which has a pretty cool action tied to the positions of objects, but I have no clue whether it's even possible to transfer that into a script like yours.

It's a shame though, I really like the way those shells drop, it gives an awesome effect.