Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.09

The direct speak channel (not VoIP, text channel) should allow 2 or 3 text message to be displayed.. otherwise if players are writing at the same time we can't read the entire message.

Also it could be a bonus to got the name of the speaker.

For those who don't have microphone, or can't talk it could be something useful (for immersion purpose).

I know there is global, side, squad.. but sometimes you aren't with your squad and you don't want to display the text to the whole server/team because they don't have to read what you are saying or it's easier to communicate only with the mens around you.

hmm is there way how order in-squad AI to disable vehicle engine ?

option is missing from menu

same like disable lights

Nop, dont think it was in prior versions, but either way its a real pain.

How can you go backwards from OFP on a simple feature like this crazy_o.gif

It seems that the persistent muzzle flash is not yet fixed. It's not a showstopper, but it looks kinda lame.

It happens to several weapons after reload and goes away if the gun is fired once after reloading. Unfortunately, if machine guns are out of ammo, then the flash remains, since the gun cannot be fired.

Here is a screenshot showing the problem:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/549/muzzleflashbc2.jpg

As it can be seen, the UAZ is already destroyed, yet the machine gun still has the flash.

False Tracer geometry on RACS 4x4 with MG. Motorcycles are jumping 30-40 meters high when are lying on the ground. If you moving from a grass to road, you hear sometimes the same footsteps as on the gras. No reload sounds for SVD or M24. AI cannot move between some buildings or on the terraces in Corazol. Tanks don´t use backward gear when the next waypoint is behind them (10-50 or 100 meters - no different).

Quote[/b] ]AI cannot move between some buildings or on the terraces in Corazol. Tanks don´t use backward gear when the next waypoint is behind them (10-50 or 100 meters - no different).

AI never was able to move on terraces, rooftops, balconies, etc.

It´s because there is no Roadway LOD for that objects. I also think it´s lame as it would add a lot to have moving guards on rooftops, terraces and hallways and balconies.

AI doesnt even move well along fences. It´s something I don´t understand but it´s Arma.

Vehicles in general in Arma do no use reverse gear for more than maneuvering when stuck. I guess it´s not implemented at all that AI considers driving backwards for more than 2-3 meters when maneuvering.

Both things are unlikely to be adressed imo. Those are feature requests existing for a very long time already. I don´t think we´ll see such with Arma.

1) For VON radio and very important for direct speaking:

We need to music option the following think:

a) HW microphone input volume (direct connected(handling) with/from windows record mixer)

b) or maybe better sollution, SW auto volume normalizer, when is player microphone to loud or to silent, game will automaticaly (by SW recoding) increase or decrease volume (pre-amp).

2) For VON radio. Right now is kind out of use, because you can speak with some you frends trhu radio withouth anyone can hear all what you say, and fot others is hearing how someone fight on another side of map because the mission does not allowe to chreate squads. So we need to add there new/more channels (and posibly remove or not "SQUAD/TEAM channel") some like this:

All radios ( global channel )

All channels ( side channel )

Channel 1

Channel 2

Channel 3

Channel 4

Channel 5

Squad/Team channel ( squad/team channel )

Vehicle channel ( vehicle channnel )

Direc Speaking ( direct speaking )

I've also noticed that ATI cards still can't properly display .jpg custom faces. They have to be converted to .paa, which requires a lower resolution to fit into the 100kb limit.

Hello

I have been away for a while but i was excited with the release of this patch. Especially the performance Increase.

So Is this a Performance increase JUST for High range Expensive cards like the 8800GT,GTS,GTX etc?

Hello

I have been away for a while but i was excited with the release of this patch. Especially the performance Increase.

So Is this a Performance increase JUST for High range Expensive cards like the 8800GT,GTS,GTX etc?

I personally know of two people who also got a massive performance boost with 1.09:

I myself have a GeForce 7950GX2 and got a massive boost.

A friend of mine has a 7950GT and also got a massive performance boost.

I would assume that such a massive boost will be noticable on most cards, at least to a certain extent.

MG recoil(with ironsight) when croching and standing is ridiculous. There need to be way way more recoil. Also, same goes for MG hip-shooting. There's almost no recoil at all, whereas it should be jumping all over with sustained fire.

MG recoil(with ironsight) when croching and standing is ridiculous. There need to be way way more recoil. Also, same goes for MG hip-shooting. There's almost no recoil at all, whereas it should be jumping all over with sustained fire.

Saw a video of a british soldier fireing a machinegun over a wall while standing up. He was pushed backwards and actually stood on one leg for a second before he could fight the recoil back. But the weapon didn't jump up and down like in arma 1.08.

Saw a video of a british soldier fireing a machinegun over a wall while standing up. He was pushed backwards and actually stood on one leg for a second before he could fight the recoil back. But the weapon didn't jump up and down like in arma 1.08.

So what?

This is:Arma feedback thread - based on 1.09

So what?

So 1.09's MG recoil is not neccessarily unrealistic as Rakgitarmen is saying, and may be more realistic than 1.08, is what I believe general is making the point of.

Whether it's realistic or not, keep in mind, that in real life you can place the gun on objects support it. In ArmA, the only way to support machine guns is to go prone, so they're nearly unusable in 1.08 if you're not prone.

I'd pick the recoil in 1.09 over 1.08 any time, because it makes the weapon usable. (Realism aside - this game needed a bit of balancing because of engine limitations.) I still remember the AI being able to shoot me with 1 shot from 500+ meters in 1.08 while stanind and shooting with a machine gun.

I agree that realism is important, but only if all aspects of a given thing are realistic, not just one that people seem to moan for. (No offense intended to anyone.) I think machine guns (and sniper rifles) lack many important details in ArmA, so I don't mind these "cheats". They make the game playable.

(BTW, I use Q1184's realistic recoils.)

So what?

So 1.09's MG recoil is not neccessarily unrealistic as Rakgitarmen is saying, and may be more realistic than 1.08, is what I believe general is making the point of.

Try hipshooting an MG in game, and then look out for some videos of something monstrous like M240, RPK-PKM being shot from hip.

I don't know if it's better than 1.08 or not, but it's not even close(or resemble) to the real thing. It should be jumping all around while hip-shooting. This is common sense.

Quote[/b] ]Whether it's realistic or not, keep in mind, that in real life you can place the gun on objects support it. In ArmA, the only way to support machine guns is to go prone, so they're nearly unusable in 1.08 if you're not prone.

I agree, but at least they should fix the hip-shooting side. If they are so desperate that can't implement "MG deploying", then they should find a recoil value that is half way between "realistic" and "usable-because we're so lazy to do some homework".

Dunno you, but when I see MG's being used like an assault rifle while standing, running; I can't help but question Arma's "t3h ult1m4t3 simul4tion EV4rr!11" claim. I'd rather not have unrealistic non-prone ironsight shooting, than taking it and running around Rambo style. Maybe I'm spoiled after Red Orchestra, because even though it doesn't claim the same thing, it does a better job than ArmA.

Without repeating in the problems 1.09 thread ive posted about the overal audio level in terms of distance=volume level that seems to be lower in 1.09 overall than 1.08.

1.08 firing at 400 meters is louder than 1.09 which seems much further away.

Can anyone set up a large battle and sit in the center of it as a civvy and switch between 1.08 and 1.09 and see if you can here the difference, also get some attack helis flying around too the distance/range volume on those is different for sure.

1.09 has been real good for me so far.

Especially in the lag department. I could be wrong, but I definitely think they improved the netcode.

VOIP is rather buggy for me though. First of all, the sound distorts a lot. I made a "server" to play co-op with someone. Not a dedicated server - I hosted the game on my PC and we played like that... works fine, without any noticeable lag. But 30 to 40% of his voice "cracked", which was kinda annoying. So we used Vent instead.

Also, when another person connected to the game, my PC crashed a lot when we were using ingame VOIP. My PC instantly rebooted itself, and it happened like three times. Not fun.

Otherwise, 1.09 is good. My co-op buddy reports improvements in the viewdistance department. In 1.08, the far distance was blurry, and now it's fine.

Edit:

I think the 3D sound of the VOIP is a bit exaggerated. If someone is speaking to your right, you only hear his voice in your right ear. Sounds weird. Part of his voice should be heard in your left ear as well. Like this. Someone speaks to your right: 70% of his voice goes to your right ear, the other 30% goes to your left ear. At the same time of course. :P tounge2.gif

HEs talking about direct speak, wich is stereo most times wink_o.gif

Pandemonium on Earth! I've just realised PublicVariable now works for codes... this is a really really old fantasy come true, I still can't believe it... Thanks BIS!

I found out new issues - i think those are new.

- the bmp has lod bug. When you standing in 150-200 meters distance to bmp and there is turns his turret but not the corpse, the tracks are turning too!

- ai has prolems to ride motorcycles

- most of the reload sounds ( static mg, turrent mgs on vehicles ) are missed

- helicopter (captive true,behaviour "careles",combatmode "blue") are unable to fly over a in-progress battlefield w/o going affect by the scenario on the ground when moving with script and move getops.

- when the helicopters are decreasing their speed, then they goes 50-60 meters higher. The ai is not able to reduce the speed and hold fly altitude.

- the commanding of units (soldiers) to movement doesn´t works exactly enough. You cannot send the soldier to move to the corner of the house or similar - he moves to a posoiton 3-4 meters away

- ai uses nvgoggles when its not dark enough and some vehicles doesn´t switching their lights off at the same time (ah-6)

- some vehicles doesn´t switching lights off when going aware or combat mode

Positive is:

- very better performance

- the new grass in north Sarhani

I found a problem with lighting with the party headquaters building in Bagango. Here are 3 screenshots:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1835/lightbug01bw8.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2554/lightbug02am0.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7667/lightbug03we8.jpg

All of them were created by standing at the same spot and slowly turning to the right. Initially (as the 1st screenshot shows) I was facing south. In this case, I had the strip of light right in front of me.

On the 2nd shot, I turned ~10 degrees to the right, at which point the light suddenly disappeared.

On the 3rd shot, I turned another ~50 degrees to the right to reveal that for all the screenshots, I've been standing in front of the building - sunlight in the 1st screenshot passed right through the building!

I included the watch for reference, but this problem can be reproduced readily with this particular building, during daytime or night.

While it's not a showstopper, it'd be nice to see it fixed, as it looks rather lame.

I found a problem with lighting with the party headquaters building in Bagango. Here are 3 screenshots:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1835/lightbug01bw8.jpg"]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164....pg]http

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2554/lightbug02am0.jpg"]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140....pg]http

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7667/lightbug03we8.jpg"]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406....pg]http

All of them were created by standing at the same spot and slowly turning to the right. Initially (as the 1st screenshot shows) I was facing south. In this case, I had the strip of light right in front of me.

On the 2nd shot, I turned ~10 degrees to the right, at which point the light suddenly disappeared.

On the 3rd shot, I turned another ~50 degrees to the right to reveal that for all the screenshots, I've been standing in front of the building - sunlight in the 1st screenshot passed right through the building!

I included the watch for reference, but this problem can be reproduced readily with this particular building, during daytime or night.

While it's not a showstopper, it'd be nice to see it fixed, as it looks rather lame.

that is just a object shadow bug that has been is most if not all versions of Arma and not just 1.09.

the game culls polygons that are not facing the player. it also seems to do that to the shadows.

like the shadows from the ground (hills and mountains).

with the sun low in the sky, at the right angle the ground casts shadows on its self, but if you turn away from the light source, the shadow disapears.

i hope they find a fix for that. i dont like moving dow the side of a mountain with the sun being blocked by the tarrain yet my player is illuminated as if nothing is blocking the light source.

Am I imagining it or are the AI squad leaders now sending

more guys after a target than they used to? Left to their own

devices they tended to send individuals to attack targets

(eg. "2 engage man.... [2 jumps up]...Oh no! 2 is

down"). Now they seem to send a group (albeit still told

off individually: "2 engage man, 3 engage man, 4 engage

man")

if it's not just your imagination, I would be really impressed.