Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma beta patch 1.09 - released

Having just barely scratched the surface of this patch, I'm quite happy about it. The Javelin is not quite there yet, but way better than before. New rotational speeds are a godsend, AT soldiers are vounerable enough as it is smile_o.gif

Me and a friend actually had this discussion a while back, and now it is suddenly implemented? Is BIS spying on us in our personal life? biggrin_o.gif I'm talking about the new possibility to disable the scoreboard -- BRILLIANT!!! In coop games, there are always some braggers that goes on their own personal Rambo mission instead of being part of doing proper teamwork. Maybe disabling disabling the scoreboard helps with these competitive tendencies. Love it! Haven't tested if it actually works yet though.

On the downside, and as several others have reported; I now have an issue with mouse control. Seems laggy or something.

I can also have a close column formation moving in full speed. I think earlier this was restricted to safe modes. This is extremely welcome.

I also have much greater success now on getting AI to move to the waypoints; steep hills (not clifflike) is now not an hindrance anymore. I'll test this further, as it has magically stopped a few missions in the making. Maybe I'll drag them back out of the bin.

The M136 sights bug is still not fixed, and not only that but it also affects the Spigot and Carl Gustav in Cold War Rearmed in the same way. mad_o.gif

I dearly hope that the good people at BIS would give some clue on what causes this to some but not others, and when is it going to be fixed. It's irritating when the sights on M136 are useless - you have to aim on gut instinct - and the best bet as a BLUFOR is to grab a RPG-7 from a fallen OPFOR.

Unfortunately, it seems that problems with the NVG were not corrected, which makes it nearly unusable. The constant blacking out of NVGs in response to even the tiniest light sources far away makes night missions a total pain. I don't know how NVGs are in real life, but in the game they're quite bad.

Unfortunately VOIP still doesn't work properly. I can hear the first few milliseconds of the first guy who's speaking and then I don't hear anyone anymore. Some other guys hear everyone perfectly though.

Many in the coop community are really looking forward to the VOIP, as this would be the first game since Vietcong to have a realistic 3D proximity based direct voice chat with lip sync. In Vietong it worked 99,9% of the time, maybe BI should borrow the VOIP technology from Pterodon?

For those who say TS / Ventrilo can replace the VOIP: It's not true. TS / Ventrilo can never do what the in-game voice chat can, where the direction and distance of the source of the voice can be heard.

This kind of voice also makes it easier to identify the speaking person in the game and adds to the realism, especially as ArmA does not have option for seeing the person's name you are pointing at, without enabling crosshair.

Has anyone noticed that arma IDs are now hidden from players? If you type #userlist you don't see other player's IDs.

I can't think of any reason for doing this other than it being true that hackers can reverse engineer the IDs into their original CD keys. Unfortunately it's a bit late to start hiding them, since I imagine anyone collecting IDs to turn into CDkeys will have collected more than enough already.

Still, at least Arma2 CDkeys will be secure now.

p.s. You need to change the squad.xml system too if were supposed to keep our ArmaID secret.

personally, i think that the things that needed improvements were done well for the most part. however, the things that were fine, they totally fucked up. strykers now take 2 rpgs? .....TRASH. if this game is supposed to be designed around being realistic, this patch totally fucked it right over. improvements better be made before finalization or theyre not going to sell any copies of this and everyone is going to switch to OFP2, i know i will at the drop of a hat if this shit keeps up.

uninstaller re: Dwarden's report:

"erases files from ArmA\Addons directory

A10.pbo + sig, missions.pbo + sig, miscUS.pbo"

Have had a report of a guy who mistakenly tried to use the uninstaller to delete his OLD beta version..... before trying to install the new 1.09 beta.

Then he lost the addons mentioned. He then had to do a complete reinstall.

however, the things that were fine, they totally fucked up. strykers now take 2 rpgs? .....TRASH.

That was never fine, since standart dual warhead RPGs rarely blow up light amoured vehicles... they simply are not desinged for that.

Has anyone noticed that arma IDs are now hidden from players? If you type #userlist you don't see other player's IDs.

I can't think of any reason for doing this other than it being true that hackers can reverse engineer the IDs into their original CD keys. Unfortunately it's a bit late to start hiding them, since I imagine anyone collecting IDs to turn into CDkeys will have collected more than enough already.

Still, at least Arma2 CDkeys will be secure now.

p.s. You need to change the squad.xml system too if were supposed to keep our ArmaID secret.

i could be wrong on this but afaik the server admin can still see the old user IDs. they're only hidden from regular players. i thought there was a comment in the readme about that change.

personally, i think that the things that needed improvements were done well for the most part. however, the things that were fine, they totally fucked up. strykers now take 2 rpgs? .....TRASH. if this game is supposed to be designed around being realistic, this patch totally fucked it right over. improvements better be made before finalization or theyre not going to sell any copies of this and everyone is going to switch to OFP2, i know i will at the drop of a hat if this shit keeps up.

Have you ever read about how survivable Strykers are? Here's a good anecdote for you. This nonsense about an armored vehicle being utterly and catastrophically destroyed by a single RPG is, quite simply, wrong.

Quote[/b] ]I am with the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, which has operated in Mosul, Iraq, since last October with 75 Strykers.

A March 31 article ["Study Faults Army Vehicle," front page] cites the Stryker's substandard survivability and maintenance as putting soldiers' lives at risk. I strongly disagree.

Since October our battalion's Strykers have been engaged with 122 improvised explosive devices (IEDs), 186 rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), 33 car bombs (10 of which were suicide car bombs) and much mortar and small-arms fire. In November and December, we fought as many as 70 insurgents during attacks. As a result, the battalion had seven soldiers killed in action and 102 wounded (81 of whom returned to duty within 21 days). Most casualties came during dismounted infantry operations.

The insurgents' most lethal weapon is the suicide car bomb. When these car bombs slam into Strykers, they create explosions that are equivalent to a 500-pound bomb. Yet in all 10 suicide car bomb attacks, no soldier on the Strykers was killed or lost a limb or eyesight.

During the past six months, one Stryker, C21, has been hit by a suicide car bomb, nine IEDs, eight RPG direct hits and a lot of small arms fire. Its crew had six wounded, but all of its soldiers are still in Iraq and fighting. After each attack, the Stryker either stayed in the fight or was repaired in less than 48 hours.

Not only is the Stryker survivable, it is reliable. Our 75 Strykers each have at least 20,000 miles on them. We average more than 1,000 miles a month, yet we have maintained, on average, a 96 percent operational readiness rate. That means that only three or four Strykers are down at any given time. This is the best operational readiness rate of any armored vehicle in the Army. We also average less than 24 hours to refit a vehicle after it has been damaged.

In urban combat, no better vehicle exists for delivering a squad of infantrymen to close in and destroy the enemy. The Stryker is fast, quiet, survivable, reliable and lethal. Most important, it delivers the most valuable weapon to the battlefield: a soldier.

MICHAEL E. KURILLA

Lieutenant Colonel

1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment

Stryker Brigade Combat Team

Mosul, Iraq

Lesson learned: It's a very good idea to be familiar what the reality is before complaining about how "unrealistic" a change is.

regarding improved security/hacks etc

has anyone tried, to host a 1.09 beta and then over teamspeak whatever, someone with a hack tried to connect without having to use signitures?

we're still loosing ~50-60% of players because they have mods and they get no message to tell them where to download the signitures.

Have you ever read about how survivable Strykers are? Here's a good anecdote for you. This nonsense about an armored vehicle being utterly and catastrophically destroyed by a single RPG is, quite simply, wrong.

Quote[/b] ]I am with the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, which has operated in Mosul, Iraq, since last October with 75 Strykers.

A March 31 article ["Study Faults Army Vehicle," front page] cites the Stryker's substandard survivability and maintenance as putting soldiers' lives at risk. I strongly disagree.

Since October our battalion's Strykers have been engaged with 122 improvised explosive devices (IEDs), 186 rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), 33 car bombs (10 of which were suicide car bombs) and much mortar and small-arms fire. In November and December, we fought as many as 70 insurgents during attacks. As a result, the battalion had seven soldiers killed in action and 102 wounded (81 of whom returned to duty within 21 days). Most casualties came during dismounted infantry operations.

The insurgents' most lethal weapon is the suicide car bomb. When these car bombs slam into Strykers, they create explosions that are equivalent to a 500-pound bomb. Yet in all 10 suicide car bomb attacks, no soldier on the Strykers was killed or lost a limb or eyesight.

During the past six months, one Stryker, C21, has been hit by a suicide car bomb, nine IEDs, eight RPG direct hits and a lot of small arms fire. Its crew had six wounded, but all of its soldiers are still in Iraq and fighting. After each attack, the Stryker either stayed in the fight or was repaired in less than 48 hours.

Not only is the Stryker survivable, it is reliable. Our 75 Strykers each have at least 20,000 miles on them. We average more than 1,000 miles a month, yet we have maintained, on average, a 96 percent operational readiness rate. That means that only three or four Strykers are down at any given time. This is the best operational readiness rate of any armored vehicle in the Army. We also average less than 24 hours to refit a vehicle after it has been damaged.

In urban combat, no better vehicle exists for delivering a squad of infantrymen to close in and destroy the enemy. The Stryker is fast, quiet, survivable, reliable and lethal. Most important, it delivers the most valuable weapon to the battlefield: a soldier.

MICHAEL E. KURILLA

Lieutenant Colonel

1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment

Stryker Brigade Combat Team

Mosul, Iraq

Lesson learned: It's a very good idea to be familiar what the reality is before complaining about how "unrealistic" a change is.

pwned_jihad.jpg

WarWolf @ Dec. 28 2007,13:05)]uninstaller re: Dwarden's report:

"erases files from ArmA\Addons directory

A10.pbo + sig, missions.pbo + sig, miscUS.pbo"

Have had a report of a guy who mistakenly tried to use the uninstaller to delete his OLD beta version..... before trying to install the new 1.09 beta.

Then he lost the addons mentioned. He then had to do a complete reinstall.

now that may be the 'reason'

i got previous beta installed in past but i removed them manually (erase)

if the uninstaller checks for beta version e.g. by registry and uninstall something more than 1.09 beta

it may lead to result of erased files in main \Addons

I wanted to mention about two important things that someone forgot to implement.

First thing, is the ability to disable forcefeedback in game controllers. Since Arma doesn't use FFB as it should be (it's supposed to give data about stalls in flight, or loosing grip in vehiciles, not masturbating) , let me be able to disable annoying vibrations on my desk. W/o loosing controller.

Second: My VoIP/VON doesn't work well in sounblaster cards (got no problems with BSOD's though). The problem is that nobondy car hear me since i cannot choose input anyhow. Everytime i start talking the game is probably trying to find the right source, and it does fail. People do hear loud noise or I am damn too quiet. Randomly!

side note: Two above are just possible, while the other things i wanted to mention are just a wishlist:

Car behaviour - I would be GLAD to be able to remove that HUGE deadzone. I do not need that. And a linearity in a steering is a must. It's harder to turn with a wheel than a keyboard. It's not fun at all :/ I don't want a racing sim, i do not need even suspension in that funny boxes. Just ability to control it.

Why the planes increase thrust by themselfs? Why they gain height slower than a baloon, thus making my vacuum cleaner able to compete with them. (The fact that they are unplayable at all is another thing i won't mention, as the radar and targetting) Here! http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2128

Please download that 16 years old lesson. Just please.

Why can't you use that textures from map (show textures in map menu) to display a terrain under, instead of that fog.

I can't translate a common saying, but will try -

by using half-solutions you end up with half-product.

For now the flight model of airplanes is a compromise between a simulation and total crap. For thoose who really enjoyed games like Lock-ON, or IL2-Sturmovik, the controls of a plane are not fun, either easy. Behaviour is ridiculous, and way different than pilot imagination, any Ace of Spades sees planes as a big "Don't Touch - makes you vomit w/o G-forces at all" sign.

Sights.. Ok enough bitching.

Quote[/b] ]Have you ever read about how survivable Strykers are? Here's a good anecdote for you. This nonsense about an armored vehicle being utterly and catastrophically destroyed by a single RPG is, quite simply, wrong.

i've seen footage of an RPG knocking a fucking abrams on its side. furthermore, STRYKERS HAVE TIRES PEOPLE. if you hit RUBBER with an RPG, they blow up, thats simply common sence. if you want to try to say that strykers are a high quality machine, you obviously have no millitary experience and have never done your fucking research. stop being a die hard fucking american millitary victim of their propaganda and have the brain capacity to think for yyourself . fact is, strykers simply cannot handle an rpg shot, they are a kevlar REINFORCED shield, not designed to take rpg rounds. .50 cal would penetrate it. it was designed to take small arms fire, as well as a marter blast from like 40 feet away. that is written in the design modifications for the vehicle that it is simply not designed to withstand a direct explosive impact. end of fucking story. if you think that strykers should take 2 rpg youre a fucking retard. plain and simple.

cheers

Quote[/b] ]Have you ever read about how survivable Strykers are? Here's a good anecdote for you. This nonsense about an armored vehicle being utterly and catastrophically destroyed by a single RPG is, quite simply, wrong.

i've seen footage of an RPG knocking a fucking abrams on its side. furthermore, STRYKERS HAVE TIRES PEOPLE. if you hit RUBBER with an RPG, they blow up, thats simply common sence. if you want to try to say that strykers are a high quality machine, you obviously have no millitary experience and have never done your fucking research. stop being a die hard fucking american millitary victim of their propaganda and have the brain capacity to think for yyourself . fact is, strykers simply cannot handle an rpg shot, they are a kevlar REINFORCED shield, not designed to take rpg rounds. .50 cal would penetrate it. it was designed to take small arms fire, as well as a marter blast from like 40 feet away. that is written in the design modifications for the vehicle that it is simply not designed to withstand a direct explosive impact. end of fucking story. if you think that strykers should take 2 rpg youre a fucking retard. plain and simple.

cheers

Haha. There is so much bullshit in your post it's comical.

If you think an RPG explosion can make damn near 70-ton tank get "knocked on its side", you have lost your mind.

Also, the quote is from a reliable source - something which, based on your comments, you are not. Go crawl back to whatever internet hidey-hole you were previously nesting in.

cheers

AHAHAHAHAHA

You're just too much.

i've seen footage of an RPG knocking a fucking abrams on its side.

rofl.gif

you obviously have no millitary experience and have never done your fucking research

whistle.gif

blackspirerider pls make you own research little better vanilla ArmA has some kind of RPG-7 not RPG-29 (RPG vs Abrams). wink_o.gif

The basic hard steel armor of Stryker is augmented by applique panels of lightweight ceramic / composite armor / reactive armor kits. There are some variants eg. in Iraq with a 'cage' of slat armor, which encircles the vehicle the main body, as protection against Rocket-Propelled Grenades (RPGs). Maybe someone can add this visual (armor) variants asap.

sidhellfire OFP/ArmA are more land combat simulation than air sim. wink_o.gif

Otherwise where in IL-2, LockOn do you have infantry or tank combat? Do you bitch in those forums about less land combat? Maybe dreams and wishes come true and we get one day this ultimate sim-hard all-in-one real combat game. biggrin_o.gif

i've seen footage of an RPG knocking a fucking abrams on its side.

I'm by no means a military expert (never been in one, to begin with smile_o.gif ), but flipping a tank on its side would definitely require a bit more substantial than an RPG.

cheers

+1 WL for abusive language and name calling.

stop being a die hard fucking american millitary victim of their propaganda and have the brain capacity to think for yyourself . fact is, strykers simply cannot handle an rpg shot, they are a kevlar REINFORCED shield, not designed to take rpg rounds. .50 cal would penetrate it. it was designed to take small arms fire, as well as a marter blast from like 40 feet away. that is written in the design modifications for the vehicle that it is simply not designed to withstand a direct explosive impact. end of fucking story. if you think that strykers should take 2 rpg youre a fucking retard. plain and simple.

Based purely on literary skill, I'm going to go with Michael Yon over you.

What is the extent of your military experience? Beyond watching videos on youtube.

ROFL.

Well i can top that.

I've personally witnessed an Abrams and even a T72 launched about 60 feet in the air by a deadly rock!

edit: Dunno really how strong those Strykers are, but yeah they have tyres, and I read on their web that they are 'interim' i.e. temporary vehicles anyway, so no doubt they cut corners. IS it possible to armour tyres?

I don't mean to interrupt this "party" but it really depends on too much factor to simply put: this or that vehicle can or cannot survive an RPG rocket.

For multiple reasons: point of impact, angle of impact, ammunition used, is the rocket in "working order" or not (age, where was it stocked, "genuine" or not...)? etc... etc...

All in all: yes a Stryker can survive an RPG hit but it might not as well. Same with Abrams or other vehicles.

In Iraq (and other scenes) there were Abrams completly immobilized by a small arm's fire (talk about a lucky shooter), there were others making it back to base almost in pieces.

But game developpers work with limits. They cannot take into account both reality, what they can actually do and keep the fun (if devs were much close from reality many people wouldn't even play the game I can bet on it). They can't as well re-create the complete architecture of an Abrams (admitting the US gov would give them the information which is impossible). And I'm not even talking about other limits like system requirements of players!

So I think nobody is right or wrong. Thus no need to be rude with eachothers guys. This is just a game. thumbs-up.gif

EDIT: By the way... Isn't the Stryker an AAV? So why is it impossible to cross rivers? Or is it just me? huh.gif Thanks if anyone can answer that!

So I think nobody is right or wrong.

Ironically, this in itself is wrong. There is both a right and a wrong, and it's pretty easy to figure out which is which.

Accurate war reporting from people who were there or have military experience=Right

Someone who's experience comes from youtube videos=Wrong.