Sign in to follow this  
Oligo

To slammer in the u.s.a.

I was just watching OZ, the HBO TV-series about Oswald maximum security slammer. They presented some interesting statistics saying that there were 2 million inmates in the U.S. in the year 2000. U.S. citizens make up 5% of the world population, but 25% of the world population in slammers. If you compare this to the evil opressive regime China: Chinese make up about 20% of the world population, but cannot make up 20% of the population in slammer, since United States of Freedom has already claimed 25% so there is not enough left. Yet crime rates in the U.S. are high compared to the countries with less people in slammers.

So are these statistics crap or are they real? I know the yanks are the most eager polluters on Earth but are they also the most eager to shut people in slammers? And why?

France has had a higher crime rate since the mid 90s, the US lokcs people up for lesser crimes than most countries too, as for china.. they have "their way" of dealing with criminals..

also the statistics are kinds misleading.. alot of the stats are from "one night wonders".. as in you get pulled over and have been drinking.. you spend the night in jail.. that statisitcally counts the same as a person who is in jail for years..

as the for the US being the worlds largest polluter.. its also the worlds largest producer of raw materials.. its not like it just polutes for the sake of it.. it makes alot more stuff than other places so it makes alot more production bi-product aswell..

Yet crime rates in the U.S. are high compared to the countries with less people in slammers.

another VERY misleading statistic..

in the US a statistical crime is VERY easy to come by.. a speeding ticket is a crime.. also you can have multiple crimes in one event.. say you run a read light, then get pulled over and your car's regestration is out of date.. and you have a expired license.. thats 3 different crimes.. none of them would result in anything more than a fine.. but statistically they are considered crimes..

other countried.. COMPOUND crimes, several countried in the UK do this.. lets say 1 guy breaks into 3 houses one noght and gets caught.. that would be statistically considered 1 crime.. because it was commited by 1 person and in the same timespan.. in the US though it would count as 3.. or a guy kills 2 people.. they will count that as 1 crime.. in the US thats 2 (2 murders).. now dont get me wrong, in these countries they still would punish the guy more for 3 crimes than 1 or 2 murders than 1.. but *statistically* they consider them one crime..

also many EU countries dont even count minor things like traffic tickets, domestic disturbances..etc etc as statistical crimes..

the problem is there is no international method of judgment.. every country sees "what is a crime" differently so the statistic has no *control* no base of measurement.. so its inhearently inaccurate.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Feb. 26 2002,09:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">also the statistics are kinds misleading..  alot of the stats are from "one night wonders".. as in you get pulled over and have been drinking.. you spend the night in jail.. that statisitcally counts the same as a person who is in jail for years..  <span id='postcolor'>

I agree with most of what you say, except with what you say about the statistics of how much people you have in the slammer. You see, the two million inmates is a population figure, not a figure of how much people are thrown into slammer each year. So at any one time during 2000, U.S. had about two million people in the slammer. This is 25% of the world inmate population.

I'm wondering if the cause is the fact that your courts seem to deal out very long sentences as compared to for example Finland. I'm not saying giving short sentences is a good thing, just wondering whether this is the cause of the large inmate population in the U.S.

hey wait a minute .............

2 000 000 persons can't be 25% of the world population

i don't have the time to calculate that , i'm too tired , maybe you wanted to speak about 25% of the US population

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 26 2002,10:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey wait a minute .............

2 000 000 persons can't be 25% of the world population

i don't have the time to calculate that , i'm too tired , maybe you wanted to speak about  25% of the US population<span id='postcolor'>

Naah, there is a much more trivial explanation. I made a typo, which I now corrected.

aaaaaahhhh

but i think that the two stats (usa-china) are almost equivalent

let's say about 2% of the us population (don't know the number of people who live in the country , let's say about 100 000 000) , the china is about at the same point with 1 000 000 000 people and ....... how many in slammer ? , oh maybe 20 000 000 .........

aaaaaaaahhhhh i've surely wrong , i return sleeping  smile.gif

Read a little more carefully. What I said is that there are about 8 million people in slammer in the whole world. Of these, 2 million are in the slammer in the U.S. (=25%). Yet, U.S. people make only 5% of the world population. Comprende?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Feb. 26 2002,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah, i just dont take much notice of posts that dont have much meaning.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, maybe you should go back to your beer, fornicating and fast food to get the meaning you so much seek.

I guess you're left with only copulation then. tounge.gif

Guest Scooby

"In 1994 there were 38,505 firearm-related deaths. These included:

- over 17,800 firearm-related homicides

- over 18,700 firearm-related suicides

- over 1,300 unintentional deaths related to firearms.1

It is estimated that there are approximately 3 nonfatal firearm injuries for every death associated with a firearm."

Reasons of being sent to jail being minor in US? BS...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ChickenHawk @ Feb. 26 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hate math.<span id='postcolor'>

I love math biggrin.gif

43.6% of statistics are made up, but only 18.2% of the population know this fact.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 26 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">43.6% of statistics are made up, but only 18.2% of the population know this fact.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

I need a break smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 26 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">43.6% of statistics are made up, but only 18.2% of the population know this fact.

...but its only 10% chance that this is true...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Feb. 26 2002,09:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...but its only 10% chance that this is true...<span id='postcolor'>

LoL, that reminds me of a movie, Naked Gun 1, where they're going to a hospital where a cop is really close to death, and he says: "There's a 50/50 chance of him pulling through, but there's only a 10% chance of that."

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Feb. 26 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 26 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">43.6% of statistics are made up, but only 18.2% of the population know this fact.

...but its only 10% chance that this is true...<span id='postcolor'>

with a statistical error margin of 15% since the sample poluation hardly gets above the statistical minimum requirements of 5% of the actual population (n must be equal or larger than 5% of N) smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Feb. 26 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 26 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">43.6% of statistics are made up, but only 18.2% of the population know this fact.

...but its only 10% chance that this is true...<span id='postcolor'>

I wonder how many statistics are statistically true.

Example; a statistic claims 32,34% of all american women between the age of 20 and 25 are virgins.

If this is actually true, at the moment of the publication of said statistic, then it is statistically 100% true.

Is this getting confusing?