Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

Might be nice to hear a Geiger Counter clicking as an audio cue that you're entering a fallout zone.

Backstory for them along the lines of Cities that have been consigned to the undead being nuked in an attempt to control the outbreaks (Meaning in Europe and the US and the like), and then natural methods by which fallout moves occuring (Small, radioactive debris in the wind etc)

Yea i was planning to add a Geiger counter sound, but the only ones i can find on the net aren't really what i was looking for. Ideally id like a 3 or 4 sound samples that i could loop ranging from low level clicking to more intense clicking that i could use for the different Rad.Levels, rather then just have one sound for all of it.

As for back story, yea i was pretty much going for either near by county has used nuclear weapons, or nearby countries nuclear power station has melted down.

I'll have a shufti round the net in some spare time, I'll inform you if I dig up any Geiger counter sounds that fit your specifications.

Progress update:

Anti-rad and medkits now implemented. At the moment they are white flares and red flare for the m203, of course the m203 isn't available to buy in the mission (over powerd), so i used the flare ammo for it to represent the Anti-rad and medkits since they conveniently only take up pistol slot ammo. You'll have an action menu option to use either one and once used it will remove it from your inventory.

Anti rad will decrease your Rad.Exposure by 10% without adding to your sickness (since waiting for it to ware of naturally adds to sickness) and Medkits heal a 0.30 of your health. (since rad.sickness and health are same thing using it will also decrease your rad.sickness.)

Reason im using actual items to represent these is because Spon_Money (the money system+dialogs by spooner) doesnt support the buying of any other then actual items,weapons,and vehicles.(which could be a problem when i come to trying to implement hiring of AI mercs.)

Heya,

Any chance of having these options toggle-able like the starting cash etc?

Pity about the Medkits using pistol ammo slots. My preferred loadout is a sniper rifle of some sort and a Tec9 as my main use weapon. Ah well, the price we must pay. smile_o.gif

Can't wait to give these a runthrough. Do you think that older single player savegames will work with the new .PBO?

Well i suppose they could be toggle-able but for what reason? If you do not wish to use them you could simply not choose to buy them.

And you can still carry your tec-9 and ammo, and perhaps squeeze a med and anti-rad if your willing to sacrafice a magazine or two. Or just forget the meds and antirads altogether and avoid all any radioactive zones should you encounter them, and of course try your best not to get injured. Or you can go buy/find a favorite vehicle, and stock it up with all the supplies you'll need for your trip into the Quarantine.

I like think the fact they take up Pistol ammo slots sort of adds to the 'leveling' up feeling. Since early in the game you may only be able to afford small arms, and as such be forced to make a compromise on space between ammo,meds,and anti-rads. Meaning you wont be able to stay in the Q zone for long periods especially in radioactive areas. As you earn more cash you'll eventually be able to afford a rifle, thus freeing up all your pistol slots for meds and anti-rads, allowing you to survive longer in the Quarantine zone.

As for weather older save games will work im guessing they could work, however some of the new features may not work.

yesterday i put the mission on our dedicated Server an play a little bit. Its funny and we waiting for the new updates smile_o.gif

Greetings

Hello Mr. D.,

I've always been a great fan of zombie-missions. OFP boasted quite a lot of those (ZOS, Nogova Virus etc. etc.) and I'm happy to see ArmA has been graced with them as well. Yours is particularly good.

I especially like the fact that Quarantine has a STALKER-esque feel to it. Venturing into forbidden territory, strewn with dangers of all kinds, scrounging for equipment and just trying to survive. As you can imagine, I'm a great fan of STALKER, but Quarantine brings something STALKER lacked so sorely: the ability to team up with other players. Driving around desolate South Sahrani while the other player navigates is great fun and very immersive as well. Yesterday, I played my first big session of Quarantine with some friends and we weren't bored once in the 400 minutes of it all. Even dying wasn't exasperating, as it forced us to locate our corpses and retrieve our hard-earned weapons. Rushing to a town on the other side of the island before the sun sets was very exciting smile_o.gif

Having played the mission for quite a while and explored all its aspects, I have a few suggestions to make. Undoubtedly some of these have been made before; I don't have the stamina to read through 24 pages, alas wink_o.gif

1. Animations. The zombies are scary all right, but they use the same anims as the civilians. Not only does that diminish the immersion a bit, it also makes distinguishing survivors from zombies very difficult. I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but would it be possible to incorporate the TCP anims? They make the zombies even more zombie-like than they already are, and we would actually be able to tell the alive apart from the undead.

2. Rucksacks. It would be great to be able to tote more stuff along. I can imagine this would conflict with your 'leveling up' idea, but perhaps as a toggle..?

3. Money transfers. The ability to transfer money between players would stimulate cooperation and enable teams to buy expensive vehicles together.

4. Survivors screaming for help. This has been mentioned before too, I believe. Right now the only way to locate survivors is by listening for gunfire.

Thanks for a great mission. I'm looking forward to the next version!

Regards,

Celery

D-Man,

We have had great fun with this mod. I played with Weasel for a bit and also saw AI folks wandering around. I wonder if that somehow has to do with a player that joins and then either drops or is dropped (primarily because they don't have the right pbos)?

The AI will start shooting at players and I think that is what happened when we had a frag fest. The M2 Gunner decided that one of us was enemy and blasted us. When we came back to get our gear (inside the fence) it did the same thing. Well, that lead to the general melee.

Keep up the great work, this is a great mod for co-op play.

Magic

Hey again guys, glad your all having fun!

As always ill try and answer all your questions/suggestions:

@Xawery

1. As yomies addon (this zombies) is not mine, and i do not have any experience in addon making/editing im afraid that is not possible at the moment. Although i could use the zombie addons with the new animations i am unwilling to since thous zombies do not have the great path finding and coding the yomies have which means they will not follow you into buildings and up ladders.

Inless Sleeper (yomies creator) updates his yomies with new animations they will currently remain the same.

2.Again it seems this could require an addon, and i am not experienced in addon making.

3.The money system and dialogs are that of Spooner and his excellent SPON_MONEY scripts. So again any thing concerning money transfers is out of my hands. However Spooner has said the next version of his SPON_Money may include money transfer between players.

4.Already planned!

Cheers for suggestions! keep them coming.

@Rmakowsky

Yea i believe the problem with AI shooting you is because when you run down zombies it gives you a negative rating. Thus making you an enemy to AI. Its been fixed in the latest version by simply giving every one a ridiculously high rating that you'd have to run down thousands to become hostile to friendly AI.

As for random former Player AI's running around im still stumped on why that happens since when you disconnect it should kill the player + group members and respawn it back at refugee camp ready for any other players to connect. Very strange.

Hey D.murphy man,

you're absolutely right about the pathfinding, it's great! At one point during yesterday's session we needed to find a safe spot to study the map and plan our next move. So I suggested climbing into a watchtower.

"You sure zombies can't climb ladders?"

"Sure I'm sure, let's go!"

So there we were, on top of a watchtower, safe and sound, studying the map. Suddenly I hear this familiar metallic sound, tic-tac, tic-tac... My first thought was "why is my teammate climbing down?" As I turned off the map I stared directly into the disgusting face of a zombie which had just climbed the ladder biggrin_o.gif

Incidentally, I did manage to integrate the TCP anims into Sleeper's Yomies. Given my complete lack of cpp knowledge I'm actually quite proud of this; all hail induction, haha! Naturally, this is for private use only, seeing as I haven't asked anyone for permission. I must say though that these new anims do marvels for the immersion. I sped them up a bit so you can't just run away from the zombies, and the result is decidedly freaky and disturbing. Especially when they decide to gang up on you crazy_o.gif

If you want the Yomies to be using some other animations, it is possible, and i am willing to do it - if i get the permission to use them.

I was already working on the yomies, to fix some bugs and make them generaly better, so...

I need to know:

1. Which animations are we talking about (sorry, too tired right now to read the whole topic), and who is the creator so i can ask him for permission.

2. I will split yomies into two versions - one with classic BIS anims, the other with those special zombie anims.

But i need you to tell me, which anims for which movement (i recall somebody writing that the zombie anims should be used for slow walking only, because ...i don't know ...because there are no special zombie running anims?), etc.

3. Since i will be doing this, are there any other features to be changed/added?

...please write your comments/requests (regarding yomies), to the Yomies topic (i visit here often, but this here is about Quarantine not Yomies-only, so it doesn't seems right to dicuss the Yomies here).

Progress update:

Due to some problems that have cropped concerning the way yomies are spawned (and survivors for that matter), i have now set all the spawns in the quarantine zone to INFINITE. For thous of you who have not used the yomies package in the editor ill explain the difference from the previous spawn set up that was REPEATED.

When a spawn was set to repeated the yomies would spawn in full strength to what ever amount you set, for example 30 yomies, when a player enterd the spawn zone. The player could kill all the yomies in the zone, leave, then return and the yomies would again be spawned at a full strength of 30. However due to a bug every yomie that was killed would not spawn back when the player left and returned. So for example you killed 5 out of 30 of them, left, came back and only 25 would spawn. Of course this would eventually lead to towns becoming completely empty of zombies over a period of time.

Now i have set them to infinite every time the player kills a yomie, it will respawn again in the spawn zone some where else, whiles the player is still in the zone. This also creates the illusion of there being MORE zombies about then previous versions as they are constantly at full strength the entire time your in a spawn zone rather then being able to eliminate them all, leave, and return later to respawn them all.

Due to this change i have had to tweak the way secure area missions work. The secure area missions have now been renamed to 'Eliminate # of infected mission' An area is, again, randomly selected for the mission area, and now players must eliminate a certain number of infected in that area to complete the mission, rather then killing off EVERY zombie in the area like before, since that would now be impossible. I have also tweaked the reward for this mission so its based on how many zombies you had to kill to complete it, so if the mission require you to eliminate 30 zombies, youll $3000 reward, 40 - $4000 reward,50 - $5000, etc...

I am now considering lowering the amount of zombies that spawn in each spawn zone to accommodate the fact that the zombies are constantly respawned every time they are killed. Since spawn 40 odd zombies, that are constantly replenished whiles a payers in the area will seriously subtract from 114 group limit. If 3 players are in 3 different spawn areas, all spawning around 40 yomies each,means 114 - 40 - 40 -40 = no more yomies being able to be spawned any where else. So a 4th player entering a new spawn zone wont have any yomies to fight.

I feel i am now coming pretty close to releasing the new version to the public (maybe even today), so stay tuned guys.

"You sure zombies can't climb ladders?"

"Sure I'm sure, let's go!"

Same thing happened to buddy and me. I remember that Yomies once climbed to the roof of the hotel, so we were ready. But we lost nightvision and it was pitch black. We crashed the car and we were surrounded by at least 12 zombies, so we climbed the small house - they all came up the stairs and firefight lasted for at least few minutes... total carnage. We were left there with just few bullets left smile_o.gif

Drum roll please.........

Quarantine v.2.4 released!

V.2.4 change log:

ADDED:Radiation fallout

ADDED:Medkits and anti rads (m203 flare red & white)

ADDED:Find crash site mission

ADDED:Randomised ammo crates in buildings

FIXED:Syncing of rewards for completeing missions

FIXED:Zombies drying up (again)

FIXED:Getting negative rating when running down zombies

FIXED:Disconected players are now removed when they disconnect. When some JIPs into that slot they respawn afresh ath refugee camp like normal.

UPDATED:Breifing explaining all new features

CHANGED:Secure area mission is now Eliminate infected mission, reward based on how many infected you have to eliminate.

FIXED/CHANGED/UPDATED:a few other small bits and peices iv forgotten about and not worth mentioning.

Now go get testing so you can come back here and tell me how shoddy my scripting is and what needs fixing tounge2.gif

Downloaded, will test it for you ASAP (Be singleplayer though)

Nah, someone get it on dedi and we can test it properly biggrin_o.gif

Would be cool

EDIT: Tried out a crash site mission - Worked fine and was fun

Suggestions:

New "FLARE" kits:

Yellow - Tool kit, used on vehicles to repair some damage, specifically tire/rotor/engine damage.

Green - Fuel Can, used to refuel a vehicle.

A pity you can't create new, specific items for this. I edited my version to have an M16 with M203 so I could use flares when in the dark without NV

This addon might be useful if you want more real looking stuff instead of flares

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2880

Good stuff there.

Been following this thread alot and I must say your still the best D.murphy man. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Got some ideas but I'll get them all together and sorted before posting.

Hmmm, I've noticed that the military base now falls too easily, because it's not being attacked in waves, but is instead being constantly assaulted by a respawning army of Zack (Unfairly, some spawn inside the compound as well)

I have an idea on how to change the Army compound mechanic, but I'll PM it to ya when you reply to the PM I sent ya.

Edit:

it might be cool to add Gnat's Active Cargo to some vehicles that could support it

Youtube vid (Expand the description for linkage)

2nd Edit:

Bug to report, when accessing the shops in the military base (Maybe the other shops as well), whilst playing online (me and a friend played a two-player game) the player spams "BLEH" in the chatbox.

V2.4 HOTFIX

FIXED:Base falling to easily/zombies spawning within the base.

FIXED(Hopefully):Some players not being able to see the action to 'Browse Shop'

FIXED:Side chat being spamed with "Bleh" when accesing some shops.

FIXED:Some problems with detecting when a players in/out of a fallout zone

ADDED:Geiger counter sounds when your in a fallout area.(Thanks to Ravenholme for sounds)

I think I could just use a siren sound for the High radiation warning, since that's what some Geiger counters throw up in areas of high radiation. When I stitch together an OGG for it I'll send it to ya.

Just glad I could help

Great stuff man! We'll be organising a proper testing session this evening on a dedi server, but I'm afraid it can't take too many players...

BTW, in the previous version, I've been getting a very strange bug. Once I've rescued a survivor he would join my group, but after a while he'd simply disappear from it. He would still be around and the rescue option would come up again, but not if he was already sitting in a vehicle. The other players didn't have this problem. I thought this had something to do with who was hosting the session, but we checked for that and it didn't matter; the survivors would still un-join my group after a while. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Hm not entirely sure, but i will look into it. Could perhaps be some issue with other players 'rescueing survivors' and some how instead of running client side (so only survivors under there command get unjoined/deleted) its some how ran on all clients would be my initial guess. Or it could be a bug when leaving a spawn zone, all the spawned units should be deleted, however i did make sure it wouldn't delete units under players command, but it might not be working as smoothly as hoped. (If a unit gets deleted when in vehicle it still stays inside the vehicle but your unable to command it, Arma bug.)