Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

I like the idea of a way to win...  How about a way to lose the overall mission too?

I'm sure that would be difficult to implement.  But maybe somehow after the zombies take over the center base, they could accumulate and make a run on the perimeter in Corozal (i.e. game over)? wow_o.gif

Just an idea. tounge2.gif

D.Murph,

I found some typos in the soldier text.

conChat.sqs

Quote[/b] ]

3:titleText = Missing l at the end of essential.

5:titleText = Swear not sware

GruntChat.sqs

Quote[/b] ]

4:titleText = "apocalyptic plagues"

7:titleText = "stone age after the outbreak there."

12:titleText = I am assuming this is Sarge at the beginning?

13:titleText = "escaped crazy monkeys"

17:titleText = "used chemical weapons"

20:titleText = "Those f**kers bite hard."

Mercchat

4:titleText = "Afghanistan"

5:titleText = "smuggle"

13:titleText = "that FLARE had"

The Briefing has outbreak spelled like in 7:titleText on GruntChat.sqs in quite a few areas. Smuggling for the "Gun Smuggeling"

The rest are missing some punctuation. But it's not as big a deal as the misspelled words. (They catch my eye when playing wink_o.gif) oh and I can correct them if you wish and send you the finished sqs.

Otherwise I have a few suggestions. That the Base attack spawns move behind the hills and further from the base a bit? As it is right now I can sit with a M249 inside the base and practically go from 0 to 10000 in cash with one ammo box. /head shots ftw. And that another type of player model is used for the "Mercs"... RACS troops doesn't do it for me atmosphere wise. Would it be hard to setup the vehicles on the map to behave like the random ammo boxes? I think some variation in placement and types of vehicles would be welcome.

Along with the game play changes you are suggesting. Would it be viable to have it possible for the zeds to move from town to town. Say you clear one out, only to find a few days or so later that some more zeds have shown up from another town/city in search of fresh meat. With what MadRussian posted, a final last ditch effort to save the border from zed overrun may be quite fun.

Also I added for personal use the rest of the Robert Hammer Ak/M4 pack to the game. Semi-auto weapons are soooo effective against the zed hordes. Oh and some of Sigma's vehicles. I like to play Waylon Jennings "Good ole Boys" while I jump a group of zeds in the General Lee. (I had to adjust since I could not find a Bentley inside a shipping container.) Then get out and gun them down with my trusty Colt sportster. smile_o.gif

After skimming those pages. I can see that you have both the "Zombie Outbreak Guide" and "World War Z" books. :-) Its too bad Arma is so bad with melee weapons. We could be sporting Shaolin Spades in the cities when we run outta ammo.

Heklos, Thanks for the spelling corrections! even thou English is my first (and only) language i have always been a terrible speller, plus most of the dialogs for gruntchat.sqs where written pretty quickly and i forgot to check them for mistakes.

Quote[/b] ]That the Base attack spawns move behind the hills and further from the base a bit? As it is right now I can sit with a M249 inside the base and practically go from 0 to 10000 in cash with one ammo box. /head shots ftw.
Ill see what i can do but if i move the zombie spawns to far away they wont attack the base and just stand around like lemons sadly.
Quote[/b] ]and that another type of player model is used for the "Mercs"... RACS troops doesn't do it for me atmosphere wise.
Sorry i am not willing to add any more addons to the mission currently whiles its still very much a work in progress (dont want to put people of from playing if they have to d/l 100 addons) and all the other standard units didnt fit the merc look either.
Quote[/b] ]Would it be hard to setup the vehicles on the map to behave like the random ammo boxes? I think some variation in placement and types of vehicles would be welcome.
I could set them to be randomly equiped with weapons but with the hassel iv had with ammo crates over MP i am not willing to dive back into it just yet.
Quote[/b] ]Along with the game play changes you are suggesting. Would it be viable to have it possible for the zeds to move from town to town. Say you clear one out, only to find a few days or so later that some more zeds have shown up from another town/city in search of fresh meat
Already being implemented with some other features wink_o.gif

No problemo. I try to help when I can. I did figure it was done quickly as most of the incorrect are missing a single letter, or are mixed up. I do it myself all the time.

Quote[/b] ] Ill see what i can do but if i move the zombie spawns to far away they wont attack the base and just stand around like lemons sadly.

Ah. Right did not think about the distance limit when it comes to yomies looking for targets.

Quote[/b] ] I could set them to be randomly equiped with weapons but with the hassel iv had with ammo crates over MP i am not willing to dive back into it just yet.

Oh I meant that the vehicles are spawned randomly like the ammo crates do.

Quote[/b] ] Sorry i am not willing to add any more addons to the mission currently whiles its still very much a work in progress (dont want to put people of from playing if they have to d/l 100 addons) and all the other standard units didnt fit the merc look either.

Sure thing. I can wait. I did have something from Agamoths upcoming apoc pack as a possible solution.

Quote[/b] ] Already being implemented with some other features wink_o.gif

Righto. I await your next installment. smile_o.gif

I go away for a week and see what I miss! I installed 2.5 last night and gave it a runthrough. I must say that things are much more difficult now. smile_o.gif

I am amused that when I call for survivors, the prisoners in the camp by the south docks call out for help. Nice touch.

Also I like the that the compound is no longer a ghost town. There are cars and people and the helos are great.

I almost was able to open my first ammo crate before the zombies were on top of me. It didn't end well for me...

There is enough new material in the mission now that I can put together more fiction from in "The Q"

Keep up the good work!

Ill see what i can do but if i move the zombie spawns to far away they wont attack the base and just stand around like lemons sadly.

Perhaps their spawn location could be a bit more randomized? It'd make it a lot tougher to "farm" zombies like that. Right now they're all spawning in pretty much the same spot, aim in the right position and you take 'em out before they can move.

Also, the mercenaries; Not sure if this is unintended, thought I'd share it anyway - as far as the dialog shows, the civilian merc comes with a randomly selected pistol - mine came completely unequipped, had to go buy him one. sad_o.gif

edit: Those heli's at the start are pretty annoying, probably just my sound-mod though. wow_o.gif

One more thing - in MP (on dedicated server) someone teamkilled a player and was given the firing squad -- all the other player's screens turned black and we had to restart the mission.

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps their spawn location could be a bit more randomized? It'd make it a lot tougher to "farm" zombies like that. Right now they're all spawning in pretty much the same spot, aim in the right position and you take 'em out before they can move.
sadly the only reason they currently spawn in the same spots is because they spawned too randomly and ended up spawning inside the military base most the time.However with the newly implemented Hordes feature (carry on reading below) the whole way the base is attacked will change for the better.
Quote[/b] ]Not sure if this is unintended, thought I'd share it anyway - as far as the dialog shows, the civilian merc comes with a randomly selected pistol - mine came completely unequipped, had to go buy him one
Nope it wasnt, will look into it!
Quote[/b] ]edit: Those heli's at the start are pretty annoying, probably just my sound-mod though. wow_o.gif

One more thing - in MP (on dedicated server) someone teamkilled a player and was given the firing squad -- all the other player's screens turned black and we had to restart the mission.

I will make the helis fly further away from the safe zone so it takes them a little longer to come back around again.

I will take note of that bug and look into it.

New update: Hordes and zombie populations now implemented!

After some extremely confusing and mind screwing bit of coding (which im not even sure i understand my self, but hey it works!wink_o.gif i have now implemented Zombie populations for each spawn zone. Each spawn zone on the map is represented by a black square and a number, the number represents the Population (or spawns) left in the area (this is not the exact amount of zombies however), so for example you kill a zombie, it dies, then respawns, this subtracts from total number of population (spawns) in that area. Once this value reaches 0 for the area, no more zombies will spawn (but there may still be zombies in that area) so if you leave (remaining zeds get deleted) and come back, no more zombies will be present and the area is clear.

Now of course i wouldn't let you get away with clearing areas so easily! Once an area reaches 0 population one randomly selected closest spawn area around it which are yet to reach 0 population, will send 1/2 of there 'population'(spawns) over to the area in a 'Horde'. Hordes are represented on the map as a ! sign with the number of population next to it. Hordes will slowly move towards the empty spawns zone, if they reach it with out being intercepted the population of the spawn area will go back up to what ever value of population the Horde had and once again be swarming with zombies when players later enter that area. If a player (or friendly AI unit for that matter) intercept the Horde, it will act pretty much the same as a normal spawn area, and the horde will be considered 'destroyed' when its population reaches 0.

Wow, this mission is just getting better and better. Wish I had the skills to do what you are doing. I cannot thank you enough.

Some questions I have for anyone is how do I change the zeds to the tcp_anim ones and would this change their behavior (use ladders,etc...)? I like their look better. Running/hauling ass zeds just does not look right to me, but the behavior of the current ones are good.

I am not a un-pbo'er/script changer so any files would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone use the SLX mod with this?

Some questions I have for anyone is how do I change the zeds to the tcp_anim ones and would this change their behavior (use ladders,etc...)? I like their look better. Running/hauling ass zeds just does not look right to me, but the behavior of the current ones  are good.

I can cofirm that implementing TCP's anims does not interfere with yomies' behaviour: they will still enter buildings, climb ladders etc. Implementing the anims is a matter of attaching zombie_stagger.rtm and zombie_frantic.rtm to the right animations in yomies' config. I've got the modified yomies on my HD but naturally I won't distribute them as that would be infringing upon 5133p39's work. However, I've posted a brief how-to in the Dawn of the Yomies thread.

I must say that these animations add a LOT to the atmosphere.

This is becoming more and more like World War Z, which is a great thing, since that book and the scenarios it puts forward are absolutely excellent.

We now need a way to lure hordes towards a position (Like in World War Z the US troops would use sound systems playing "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden), would allow organised mercenary groups to lure Zack into Killzones. (Thinking of cleared cities with snipers on rooftops etc)

Great news D.murph! That will add so much to the map.

man can't wait.

I have the feeling that this map will become one of the classics.

I'm still experiencing major issues with this mission, the ammo crates don't work properly, they're always empty or if they contain a weapon I can't take it. Every time I try to use the Outpost store the games turns into a slideshow, once the yommies start attacking the base they never stop any way and the base inevitably falls.. any headway with these bugs or am I the only one experiencing these problems?

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the minefields always generate explosions in the exact same spots every time... wouldn't it be better if players had to replenish the minefield themselves by hand. Is the Mercenary Hire store only a placeholder, because the store interface is always empty for me and I haven't been able to hire any mercs myself.

Cheers

The only time that I had any issues like what you describe is when I would use SLX. Right now I play with both Six Sense packs and it runs like a champ.

How do you run the mission? I actually start up a local LAN game and play that way. The few times when I was fiddling with adding the extra weapons and vehicles I like, I would run the map in the editor and the ammo boxes would teleport all over the place and when you finally got to them they were empty.

I run it on a dedicated server with just the required mods and these issues still crop up, however some clients don't have any issues when they use the outpost store.. I have tried modifying it to include RH_AKs and QG units and I've only ever had these issues at the Outpost store with or without other mods. I may try a fresh install if other people don't experience the same bugs...

It might be worthwhile releasing 2 versions of Quarantine, a lite version which only require the basic mods and an extended version, which makes use of the Queens Gambit skins(I use the Partisan skins on my server) and RH's AK pack, perhaps even Pingu's Claymores which come in handy when you take up position in a building.

Right. I've done some of that editing myself. But D.murph has stated a few times. (To me included smile_o.gif) that he wants to get it all running as perfect as possible prior to adding addons.

On a side note pingu's claymores is a solution. A few times I've had my brains eaten from behind as I was too focused on making 800 meter head shots out front. I was thinking wish i had something to at least alert me to zed attack.

Quote[/b] ]I'm still experiencing major issues with this mission, the ammo crates don't work properly, they're always empty or if they contain a weapon I can't take it. Every time I try to use the Outpost store the games turns into a slideshow, once the yommies start attacking the base they never stop any way and the base inevitably falls.. any headway with these bugs or am I the only one experiencing these problems?

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the minefields always generate explosions in the exact same spots every time... wouldn't it be better if players had to replenish the minefield themselves by hand. Is the Mercenary Hire store only a placeholder, because the store interface is always empty for me and I haven't been able to hire any mercs myself.

Ammo crates are still bugged a bit and i am tempted to just remove them all together as it seems to be way more hassel then its worth trying to implement. As far as i know you are the only one experiencing the outpost bug. Only other time ive heard of people experiencing it is when they have certain addons installed.

The zombies constantly attacking the base has been noted and fixed.

And thats just the way minefields work, just a trigger covering an area that sets off an explosion when zombies enter. Yes it would be better and more 'realistic' to have all the mines as individual mines but that just be a pain in arse to implement.

And no the hire mercenary shop is not a place holder. You should be able to purchase mercenaries from there, so far your the first to report this bug. It could be related to your outpost shop causing slide-show bug.

UPDATED:Zombie unit cap has been increase to around 500, (from previous 144) so i have now increase the amount of zombies that spawn in each spawn zone.

Where is this code at?

ADDED:New (Optional) ambient music - requires Quarantine_Ambient_Music.pbo addon to be installed.

I got it installed, but I don't hear anything... Nor do i see any triggers to activate a specific sound...

FIXED:Players not being rewarded for zombie kills if shooting them with vehicle mounted weapons.

What about running them over with your vehicle?

Quote[/b] ]Where is this code at?

Heres the like to yomies thread where its discussed how i broke the limit.

Quote[/b] ]I got it installed, but I don't hear anything... Nor do i see any triggers to activate a specific sound...

Have you got it installed into you addons folder or any mod folders you are using to play the mission in your BIS/arma directory? or have you changed the name of the pbo at all?

Quote[/b] ]What about running them over with your vehicle?

No. It is not possible to detect who ran who over. With a killed event handler it only returns the killed unit as the killer as well.

But i do think sharanilife RPG mission does some how detect who ran who over, my guess would be that they achieved this by a killed event handler that detects the nearest driver of a vehicle within a a very close radius to the killed player when he dies. But i consider this a feature that would be more hassel then its worth to implement, just get out your car and shoot the zeds! cant have people making money too easily by just driving around running them down for a few hours. tounge2.gif

Hi, I registered because I found some bugs and I would like to share them so you can fix them.

1.- I was in a Merc Mission, which is under Paraiso, with a mate, hunting 30 zombies, we entered in the zone and I went to the upper floor of a building to avoid them from bitting me. My mate stayed in the ground. Then I saw a zombie going to bite them in his back, the zomb was 5 meters away from him so it was a easy shot... I got the 50$ Zombie killed etc, but then it says that I killed a friend, i was finned with 2000$ and had to be 5 mins in the jail, and my friend told me I didn't kill him...

2.- The first 30 mins I was alone, so the military base was condemned to fall, after 10 mins when all the mines were 0, I went back there and the mines kept exploding and it was pretty annoying...

3.- This isn't a bug, this is a suggestion. Isn't a way to raise up the military base after it falls?

Maybe a supply convoy of 5t loaded with people in it formed up with 2 or 3 trucks. Just think that when a server loads the mission there are usually only 1 or 2 people, so it's imposible (and boring) to them keep supplying the military base continously. Maybe the soldiers in the convoy, when they reach a point in the base, they fight in the base to take it back. Or maybe if the zombie spawns if far away from the base, because the East one is located 5 meters away from the base entrance.

4.- Also, I remembered this again, in the prison, I don't know how do you get out of it because I spawned in the normal spawn, maybe through a container or whatever, if you get too close to the container between the 2 soldiers guarding it the weapons I had dissapeared, also the Anti-rads, Med-kits etc...

Also again, you say the music can be activated by triggers or the playMusic command, but i don't know how to use the command, is it for mission editing purposes or something?

Thanks a lot for reading!

First off, thank you for your hard work on this excellent mission!

During one game, I noticed a bug: my random hired pistol merc disappeared along with two rescued survivors when I 'saved' them at the military base rescue flag.

Suggestion: ability to purchase an ammo drop in advance at the military base, then call it in later.

Lastly, a few questions. This mission is the first that spurred me into editing it and examining the scripts, so please excuse my inexperience.

Is it possible to make 50% of the spawning yomies slow(er)?

What about preventing them from walking through vehicles? It looks bad. Plus, they shouldn't be able to stroll through my hard earned, buttoned up, hazard-proof BRDM. They should be able to attack open vehicle (military 4x4) occupants within reach, but having them ignore collision altogether is just over the top!

Your description of the upcoming horde behavior actually elicited a promise to get and play ArmA, specifically Quarantine, from my friend. He was pretty reluctant before. Well done! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]1.- I was in a Merc Mission, which is under Paraiso, with a mate, hunting 30 zombies, we entered in the zone and I went to the upper floor of a building to avoid them from bitting me. My mate stayed in the ground. Then I saw a zombie going to bite them in his back, the zomb was 5 meters away from him so it was a easy shot... I got the 50$ Zombie killed etc, but then it says that I killed a friend, i was finned with 2000$ and had to be 5 mins in the jail, and my friend told me I didn't kill him...

Strange, as you only get fined and sent to prison if you kill a friendly AI, not a player. And if you do kill a player inside the quarantine zone you shouldnt be punished any way. Ill look into it.

Quote[/b] ]2.- The first 30 mins I was alone, so the military base was condemned to fall, after 10 mins when all the mines were 0, I went back there and the mines kept exploding and it was pretty annoying...
The military base zombie attack system is due to be removed and the new hording system will take care of attacking the military base in the newest version. as for the mines, ill look into it!
Quote[/b] ]3.- This isn't a bug, this is a suggestion. Isn't a way to raise up the military base after it falls?

Maybe a supply convoy of 5t loaded with people in it formed up with 2 or 3 trucks. Just think that when a server loads the mission there are usually only 1 or 2 people, so it's imposible (and boring) to them keep supplying the military base continously. Maybe the soldiers in the convoy, when they reach a point in the base, they fight in the base to take it back. Or maybe if the zombie spawns if far away from the base, because the East one is located 5 meters away from the base entrance.

I am still undecided on weather to let players raise the military base again after it falls.They should be under pressure to keep it going rather then have a careless attitude to it knowing they can always raise it again if it falls. Any way hopefully the base wont fall as easy with the new horde system handeling the attacks.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">4.- Also, I remembered this again, in the prison, I don't know how do you get out of it because I spawned in the normal spawn, maybe through a container or whatever, if you get too close to the container between the 2 soldiers guarding it the weapons I had dissapeared, also the Anti-rads, Med-kits etc...

when you prison sentance is up it should spawn you outyside of the container. your weapons disapearing is because you triped the trigger thats meant to disarm you when your inside the prison, ill shrink it to make sure it doesnt happen.

@Ironpants

Quote[/b] ]During one game, I noticed a bug: my random hired pistol merc disappeared along with two rescued survivors when I 'saved' them at the military base rescue flag.

ah, i think i know the reason for this, ill get it fixed it straight away.
Quote[/b] ]Suggestion: ability to purchase an ammo drop in advance at the military base, then call it in later.
That be pretty fiddly to implement and im not sure i want to spend time on somthing like that. after all this is a survival horror, your own fault if you dont take enough ammo! tounge2.gif
Quote[/b] ]Is it possible to make 50% of the spawning yomies slow(er)?
I dont think so, sorry.
Quote[/b] ]What about preventing them from walking through vehicles? It looks bad. Plus, they shouldn't be able to stroll through my hard earned, buttoned up, hazard-proof BRDM. They should be able to attack open vehicle (military 4x4) occupants within reach, but having them ignore collision altogether is just over the top!
I am aware of this but i am not sure how to fix the problem. I will however look into it more closely.

Thanks again all for the feed back!

Heya Murph.. you find a way to get rid of those 60ish guys you have on that island?

I'm assuming their spawn refrences to allow for less lag for spawns.

I'd put up a kill zone around them if  were you if you want them to stay alive.

some people will go to lengths to destroy a game unfortunately.

I have one if you want, very simple script.

but have you figured out a way to not have them in?

like maybe have them in for the start but delete them immediately so their not hanging around?

Maybe set their probability of presence to 0%?

I'm not sure what would work or even what those people are for..

I see rh weapons on them.. and I know rh are tricky to buy and cause lag.

having them in would get rid of that lag I understand.

but would having them in on load, then delete them immediately, accomplish the same task?

Maybe it would allow for those weapons, to get that first load in that they need, to not cause lag?

Same thing with the yomies?

Or are they always needed in game at all times?

and can't be set to 0%?

I'm hoping theres a better way than having 60 guys waste resources hanging around on an island. sad_o.gif.

Heya Murph.. you find a way to get rid of those 60ish guys you have on that island?

I'm assuming their spawn refrences to allow for less lag for spawns.

If having them on Rahmadi proves unavoidable, move them to Antigua, I can guarantee that almost nobody will realise they are there.

All thous guys are there to help decrease lag ironically. If you spawn new soldiers that weren't loaded up with the mission from the start Arma has to load up there models mid game causing some one off heavy lag. Same goes for weapons (hence all the RH weapon guys) I could of course just delete them all after game has started. But there is one or two units on that island which are essential and need to be there over entire course of the mission.

I am not sure if setting them to 0% probability of presence will still load up there models and such at game start or not, i think ill just use a this list trigger with a slight delay to delete all of them after X seconds at mission start. And of course throw up a kill zone around the island to make sure no one goes there and kills the few essential units that need to be present.

Question on population zones: Are zones including cities going to have larger populations than say... the zone including Monte Pesto etc?