Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

Making barricades and so on?

I was just wondering how possible that would be myself. Not a plain old static barracade mind you, but something like a "destructable" pile of rubble with a mute, heavily armored (Or timed invincibility?) AI unit which the Yomie would attack, breaking thru when the unit was killed. At least something so as to give you & rest of your team time to reload your clips before they bust thru.

I'm having so much freaking fun with this. for SP purposes I bumped the Yomie count up to 50 (The most I can stand a fair chance with without running out of ammo on those Secure area missions crazy_o.gif ),

22:30 hrs, Went in to Arcadia on foot without NVG, just me, my M4A1 and M9 and got mobbed (20 Yomies within 30m. = no time to sprint, stop, reload, run, turn, steady weapon and fire off 20 headshots) so I ran my n%$z off into the Hotel thinking I'd be safe. Nope, they followed me in and up to the roof. Luckily they were brought up right and "dont run inside the house" (or with scissors) But they are curious,,, I got the ones that followed me to the top, headed down to the 2nd floor where I ran into another pack of 10, went to go back up only to find the 6 others that had strayed from the tour... Munch Munch Munch.

Not even Resident Evil creeped me out as much as this mission can at moments

P.S. Anyone know of a weapons mod with a "realistic" shotgun? (i.e.Shot spread)

I've even begun writing short stories with a Yomie-theme. lol

T.Y.V.M. Murphy, I really never expected this sort of entertainment from ArmA thumbs-up.gif

Would be cool if there could be randomized corpses which could either a. be holding usefull weapons or cash, or b. actualy be a Yomie playing possum, waiting to get shaken down by greedy players like me biggrin_o.gif

Would be cool if there could be randomized corpses which could either a. be holding usefull weapons or cash, or b. actualy be a Yomie playing possum, waiting to get shaken down by greedy players like me  biggrin_o.gif

Now that seems like a very nice idea, exactly like the randomized vehicles lying around... Would make the looting even more fun and dangerous.

Your mission seemed pretty scary, indeed wink_o.gif I sometime get scared and run off to all vehicles, hoping to find one able to get me far from them.

Last time, I managed to save some survivors, loaded them in the first damaged truck I found and rolled our way back to Paraiso. En route, some Z's were roaming on the road, getting me even more stressed. I missed a turn before passing the guarded gates because I was so scared. The truck crashed in a wall and we all died. nener.gif

Thank you for all these excellent and unpredictable moments !

Malick

Would be cool if there could be randomized corpses which could either a. be holding usefull weapons or cash, or b. actualy be a Yomie playing possum, waiting to get shaken down by greedy players like me biggrin_o.gif

That is actually a great idea. Nice one.

I like playing this mission quite a lot, but D.murphy you ever think of putting random easter egg type stuff in there? I mean the quarantine zone is a big place and there should be lots of military hardware laying around from the initial outbreak wink_o.gif One of the things that creep me out even in RL is abandoned military fighting positions. The idea that someone could have lost their life to only have this area left alone for years is creepy to me and so I think that environmentally and for atmosphere it would be cool to sometimes come across abandoned fighting positions, bodies and assorted items. I like to setup yomies sometimes in the editor, place a bunch of random squads and units and then travel from one side of sahrani to another. Its amazing what you find in your travels. I have seen smoke in the distance, and then hear gunfire to only make it to the place of the fire to find a truck still running, dead yomies all around in a starburst arangement around a body still clutching its weapon. One can imagine that the weapon is still warm, with the former owners finger still on the trigger. smile_o.gif

Well as for easter eggs theres plans to be able to find papers and such (see previous page) and you can actually occasionally find the body's of survivors (who where alive but properly got mobbed by yomies before you got there) with weapons and such, how ever there body's do delete faster if your mowing down yomies and as such you might not find them often. I might add randomly placed bodies to the towns and such, however theres of course the problem of the 144 group limit. Each unit id place down would take away from the potential maximum amount of yomies to be spawned, especially a problem in multiplayer with multiple spawns being activated.

As for the idea of barricades i have thought about it but it seems it be pretty difficult to implement, im not sure if yomies will even attack or target static objects, let alone syncing everything over MP and such. But you could always grab a few buddies and park a load of cars in a circle or a line to create a barricade.

Work on the mission has slowed down A LOT lately, real life of course takes priority over the mission building, and plus i need a little brake from ARMA at the moment, i feel the current version is stable enough to be enjoyable (as i can see it is by you guys kind comments) but trust my brakes are usually short lived and followed by a massive burst of enthusiasm and fast work, so as soon as i find time ill get straight back to work.

I thought i share a fun little snip bit with you guys, i was driving full pelt down the road between Dolores and Cayo when i was approaching the abandoned outpost/fuel station. I smashed through the barricade, hit a pallet on the road, and my car flipped (didnt even know that could happen in Arma!?) and landed upside down on the roof spinning down the road. After the initial 'Oh fuck' i took a second to get my bearings and work out what just happend whiles strapped in the car upside down, then i hear foot steps and groan of the zombies closing in around me! 'Oh fuck!' jumped out the now FUBAB'd car took a few down and legged it to pickup parked by petrol station. Got inside, 'oh crap no fuel!' by this point i got mobbed by zombies and died. Great fun!

Any way thanks guys, im glad your all still intrested in my little mission, and that your all having a good time! If any ones hosting this on a dedi please drop us a line here so we can all go zombie hunting.

Cheers,

Murphy

Well with the Yomies, theres one per group due to the FSM. With corpses, theres really no need for an FSM (Unless it were to trigger a yomie spawning in it's place) so a full size group could be used (if even nessisary as corpses are more like objects, but perhaps needed to simplify the spawn clearing process along with the rest of the spawn zone?)

The only issue I'm envisioning (Aside from the mess of scripting to begin with) is that if there were a Yomie spawn trigger set to go off when the player "Geared" at the corpse in question I think the Yomie would suddenly appear standing as opposed to being prone which would just sort of destroy the illusion imho. But then, mabey they could be spawned in prone, I'm not sure, just going by what I've seen to date with yomies spawning.

Another nifty feature would be to have a "Mercenary Cantina" type store for us SP pplz or 1-4 player servers where players could hire mercenaries, medic's, MG soldiers etc.

And for those who havent tried it out yet, I'd recomend running the ECS mod. I had to disable most of the anim's and whatnot but it add's some cool features to the game like a repair function to the repair buildings and gas stations (Makes cool lil' impact wrench, hammer, wratchet and other misc repair-shop sounds while fixing vehicle  biggrin_o.gif  ) as well as a wounding system which allows any character to partially heal their injuries in the field, radio chatter for all sides from vehicles, etc. the list goes on.

It can be pretty resource intensive out-of-the-box, but it's fairly easy to turn off unnessisary features like volumetric fog, dynamic weather and stuff.

**Edit**

Also may want to disable the ECS handling of AI as it seems the Outpost guards wont target Yomies. crazy_o.gif

about the random yomie's corpses...

If i am not mistaken, the 144 groups limit is per side, so you can have 144 BLUFOR groups, 144 OPFOR, 144 RACS, and 144 CIVILIAN.

And dead corpses are CIVS - when any unit dies, it is removed from the old group, and the Side command then return CIV (if i remember correctly).

Anyway, the best would be to make an addon of static corpses.

This way you could be sure it won't eat anything from any side's group limit, and its also better (well, the difference is maybe 0.01%, but every little bit counts) for the server to spawn simple static object instead of living AI which has to be killed immediately to make a corpse from it.

Ofcourse the static corpses should be a containers, like an ammocrate, so you can put in some random gear.

Im not entirely sure, you could perhaps edit the way it currently spawns the civs, to spawn the new Anim zombies, then go around all the markers in the mission and edit them so they spawn the Anim zombies and not Yomies. That is of course if the new zombies are a simple 'drop in and play' addon, if they need external scripts in the mission folder to work then it might need some more tinkering to get it to work with the current spawning system.

In short - I dunno.

I got a question: A topic is a bit too long to real all, so sorry if there was a info about that:

1. It work property in SP so good in MP or it's prefered to play only in MP?

2. Is there another link which is not connected with Rapidshare?

Thanks for the reply D.Murphy. I really enjoy your mission. I hope you or someone could add the zombie anim in. I am just a gamer who enjoys the fruits of your labor. Keep up the excellent work.

P.S. Wonder what ever happened to that chainsaw addon I saw.

I got a question: A topic is a bit too long to real all, so sorry if there was a info about that:

1. It work property in SP so good in MP or it's prefered to play only in MP?

2. Is there another link which is not connected with Rapidshare?

1.The mission was designed to be mainly played in MP, however due to no dedicated servers or any one else hosting it in MP most people tend to play it in SP.

Although its still very fun to play in SP, i think the missions best enjoyed in an MP environment with other players.

2. Just under the link for the rapidshare d/l on first page is the Armaholic mirrior

Thank man!

I will test it, cause I feel it wil be great experience!

BTW, do you know some servers which are palaying this mission on 1.14?

Is there any chance of an update that utilises Queen's Gambit vehicles and weapons (Really thinking of the Technicals in it), and maybe adds a "Recruiting Centre" for those of us who play singleplayer or small multiplayer? (Hire mercenaries, which you can either equip yourself, or you can hire ones that already have weapons, but they cost a lot more.)

Love the map though, it's absolutely great biggrin_o.gif

Ravenholme is right, a recruiting centre is needed.

But I got serous problem. I... cant do nearly everyting!

I cant buy a vehicle, no action, radio action, near vehicles, no shop assistant etc.

I cant make anything near a bank

I cant buy any weapons!

Thats a bug or I have installed something badly?

Have you tried looking DIRECTLY at the flag poles associated with each shop/bank (i really need to include that little tip in the briefing next update)? Unfortunately i am not aware of any servers (1.14 or otherwise) that are currently running this map, id be glad to hear from any one interested in hosting it on there servers thou.

As for an update using queens gambit, thats a no, since i don't own queens gambit at the moment. And on the subject of updates lately i been VERY busy with real life and haven't made any real progress sadly, but rest assured ill certainly look into adding the ability to recruit AI as well as the other features previously discussed in the thread when i get around to mission editing again.

Thanks again, glad your all enjoying my little mission biggrin_o.gif

Hmmm, anyway to address this little bug me and a friend found just now: Because of the way Yomies are handled (Independents until they're switched to hostile when they notice you), me and this friend were being shot at by survivors and military for running over zombs in the supply truck. It's quite annoying =/

Ah, a pity you don't have QG, some of the things in there would be great additions, also.. you might be able to update it with some of the 1.14 things, like proper weapon emplacements and structures.

Still great fun though, me and this friend are organising enough money to buy a Urals Repair/Fuel and a UH-60, and setting up camp at Valejo. (Could you add more vehicles for sale at the military base as well? The other helis, not the Gunship ones but the things like the Little Bird and Hip)

I have checked the flags. I am looking at it from 5-1 metre, moving on it a crosshair and nothing happens :/

hey murphy thanks for the great mission. One question though, is there any way you can swap out the zombies for the nemzombies because those new ones look awesome with the animations.

I have checked the flags. I am looking at it from 5-1 metre, moving on it a crosshair and nothing happens :/

While the crosshair is directly on the pole, with the toes of your boots pressed firmly against it's base, roll your mouse wheel or hit Enter to bring up the action menu as it does not "announce itself".

OMG. works now!

That should be fixed in further versions, cause its invisible and only with ENTER you can make it.

Also, I know how to make missions very good, but if I unPBO it and connect all players as one team could I play as single player with one squad?

Setting up at Valejo, playing with two friends. One had bought a Fuel Urals, the other a BRDM-2, and I had bought a MH-6, and was providing Aerial recon. The whole atmosphere as I went ahead of our little convoy, reporting on the concentrations of the infected along the route, before heading to Valejo to begin clearing it of the infected was absolutely awesome.

I love this map smile_o.gif

If someone play can you report it here, so I can join some time?

Best with IP or server name.

Next time my friend is hosting, I'll ask him if he minds you joining (Be aware it's semi-RPish the way we play, as it's something to do other than our semi-RP Coop campaign set during the Sahrani Conflict), and then will PM you the server name and password if he agrees.

Does JIP work? If your ArmA crashes how are your variables handled, lost forever?

JIP works, but I'm not sure about how crashing and rejoining is handled, as strangely enough it didn't happen last night (Odd, because one of the people I was playing usually experiences crashes due to Vista, of course, 1.14 may have fixed this)