Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

1.11 fixed the savebug for me on Vista, QG runs cleaner too, Vanillarma about the same so far, but I'm only playing Quarantine in one form or another.

That BLUEFOR idea taint too bad and with ArmA edits ability to "Find" on all open doc's, I should be able to find any other needed player ref's to "Independant"

Anyone with thoughts on the workability of a Variable spawnpoint relative to ones finances?

And another thought, would it be possible to make vehicles sellable at stores? (I'm thinking yes?). I may never sleep again at this rate (At least till I get that CDL.)

Speaking of my CDL, Hate to go off topic (Really I do!wink_o.gif but any suggestions on an Arm-A-ble Laptop?

Quick update:

I been working on syncing the markers for the M2 guns and Secure area missions to all clients and JIP players, to make my life easier i have been using the new addPublicVariableEventHandler command that came with Arma patch 1.09+, at the moment it is still yet to be tested but fingers crossed itll all work out and a shall release a new version in coming weeks. Also because of this the next version of Quarantine will require 1.09 or above to play, hopefully this shouldnt be too much of a problem for most of you, and even an advantage to the SP players since the Save game is fixed with 1.09.

shall be working on the other bugs soon! cheers guys, murphy.

Your are the man. Please keep working on this excellent mission/mod. I do not even bother to go online anymore. Just play this in single player mode.

Quick update:

I been working on syncing the markers for the M2 guns and Secure area missions to all clients and JIP players, to make my life easier i have been using the new addPublicVariableEventHandler command that came with Arma patch 1.09+, at the moment it is still yet to be tested but fingers crossed itll all work out and a shall release a new version in coming weeks. Also because of this the next version of Quarantine will require 1.09 or above to play, hopefully this shouldnt be too much of a problem for most of you, and even an advantage to the SP players since the Save game is fixed with 1.09.

shall be working on the other bugs soon! cheers guys, murphy.

sad face

sad face

yes because using a beta that is far superior to 1.08 and much more stable than a so called "stable" version is really something to cry about.

sad face

yes because using a beta that is far superior to 1.08 and much more stable than a so called "stable" version is really something to cry about.

i didnt cry i said sad face lol its an expression fyi and its just my opinion im perfectly fine with 1.09 i never said 1.09 sucked compared to 1.08, vice versa. biggrin_o.gif

Well, I found a script that's supposed to help build walls using sandbags or logs. If I can get it to work right (Seems it's in spanish?) mabey I can make some generic sandbag emplacements for the mg's? All the benefits of a wall without the AI having to try peeking over the barbed wire?

Or if Murphy is feeling more ambitious than I am, Wall Builder script

Theres a few others I'm playing with too, an extended explosion effect for vehicles which uses HE rounds to simulate exploding fuel / ammo. (Could be helpful while being chased by a horde near vehicles?) And a Bazef addon pack I found at

Armed Assault info which has some nice towers w. spotlights as well as a really nice secure checkpoint building. Hope to get an MG stationed in the tower somehow but not sure how to work positioning vectors to get them in the tower properly (Noticed the loss of a few towers along with the border wall on United Sarani)

Also saw a script to meddle with the Sarani power grid, would be nice to shut down power West of Corazol, that lighthouse makes me lag at night. lol

Wheeee.

Anything I come up with that I think is worth 2 cents, I'll forward to Murphy.

def a good idea. spotlights add so much to the atmosphere, much like near the end of 28 days later when the infected run towards the military house and they have these massive floodlights and stuff. ive put spotlights/static m2s in towers a lot of times but not with scripts. i just placed them there manually using my eye to judge.

def a good idea. spotlights add so much to the atmosphere, much like near the end of 28 days later when the infected run towards the military house and they have these massive floodlights and stuff. ive put spotlights/static m2s in towers a lot of times but not with scripts. i just placed them there manually using my eye to judge.

ah dude the 28 series movies are the best biggrin_o.gif thats wat this mission reminds me of

Ive put spotlights/static m2s in towers a lot of times but not with scripts. i just placed them there manually using my eye to judge.

Hmmm, how is it exactly you get them positioned in the nest? I can dead center them, but they always end up at the base. Entry in the init line for the unit to elevate them or something? Or would elevation be the decimal figure which I've seen in the placement dial? And if so relative to what, sea level or ground level? (Having similar issues with the Bazef 1.1 object pack. Walls are nice but never seem to position properly, need to figure out how to adjust pitch and elevation somehow, Ugh, manual labor... lol) Mabey I should read the Comref some more. lol

Still need to check those towers to see if the spotlights lock to targets or just scan horison.

P.S. Anyone know of an addon pack with some decent pre-built sandbag walls? That wall builder requires too much english / spanish translation for me to tackle. help.gif

Quote[/b] ]P.S. Anyone know of an addon pack with some decent pre-built sandbag walls? That wall builder requires too much english / spanish translation for me to tackle.

The VTE mod has some decent sandbag walls, but it has been a while since I played with it.

The VTE mod has some decent sandbag walls, but it has been a while since I played with it.

Cool, but at 320MB / 2.5 Kbps dl, we'll be tweaking out ArmA 2 sooner. My dial up blows chunks of chunk.  

I dont suppose the objects file is on an ftp somwhere?

wink_o.gif

EDIT, RE: MG (not)Targeting yomies. Well for poop's & giggles I replaced the barbed wire fencing with the Vanilla L shaped sandbag fencing (Cant seem to get the buggers to square up properly thou so I may have to just make a wall 3 bags deep and massivley overlayed (I've known some games turn that into a performance hit from collision, ArmA seems not so picky. Big pain in the butt, but till I did that the MG's never had a chance to run out of ammo, now they're nearly melting their barrels. Wonder why BI never included a straight 1m stretch of sandbag walls in the objects list?

Speaking of my CDL, Hate to go off topic (Really I do!wink_o.gif but any suggestions on an Arm-A-ble Laptop?

I just received MSI GX700E - the link is GX700 which is little bit different)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2,4 GHz

RAM: 2x 1024MB DDR2 667 MHz

Display: 17" WSXGA+ Amazing Crystal Vision, 1680 x 1050

Video: nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB VRAM

Audio: Theater Class 4.1channel Surround Sound Effect (RealTek ALC882H), 4x repro + subwoofer

HDD: 250GB 5400RPM SATA

(originally it comes with Vista Home Premium, but i bought WinXP Pro because i need them)

I am running ArmA in resolution 1280x1024 32bit, Everything on normal except the shadows (low) and post processing (minimum), view distance 1750m.

I haven't measured the FPS yet (i just finishied the basic install & config of the OS and ArmA), but i have been playing already for more than 2 hours in single session, and it feels OK (for me it means the FPS are all the time higher than 40).

I am satisfied with the performace, it could be better, but its a notebook so you cannot expect miracles.

/Sorry for OT.

BTW. now with my new notebook, i will be able to continue working on my Yomies, so i hope i will be able to exchange some tips with all of you working on this Quarantine mod.

One suggestion i have for the mod, i know what i'm about to say may sound like sacrilege to the survival horror part of most posters but what about the ability for players to re spawn off each other?

I don't mean generally all the time, but say when in certain "safe" zones or when there are no zombies within a set distance around them. its just after playing with a group of friends for a number of hours on the mod we found people were getting frustrated with always having to travel back to the very beginning to pick up someone who managed to get themselves killed. having the option would allow a group of players to stay together more easily which enhances the experience tremendously i believe. otherwise there is usually 1/2 the group on the other side of the map spending 1/2 the game trying to meet up with the original half.

As i said, the very idea of this might sound like sacrilege to some people, but i just wanted to put the idea forward as from my experience and from those who i play with, the ability would significantly improve game play and general enjoyment of the mod.

Many thanks for the mod itself so far, already provided hours of enjoyment.

what about the ability for players to re spawn off each other?

Playing only SP myself, I took a slightly different approach. I started using a QG Merc Repair unit (Has Medic Skills), thou in fairness, I wiped out the respawn and backup troops.

Mabey have 1 out of 4 players spawn as a Merc?

Hmmm, on the MP side, would it be possible to have players respawn on the Yomie side? He could be like the Chopper pilot in Dawn of the dead who led the other Zombies upstairs at the Mall, or the Clever Gas station attendant Zombie fromLand of the Dead, leading a squad of Yomies on foot to the spawn area? Might be an interesting approach for PvP now that theres a Seize Zones mod?

(I Sooooo hope ArmA 2's buildings are more usable so as to allow something like a Dawn of the Dead Mission, Securing the mall, then warding off the Zombies and Biker Gangs)

@ 5133p39: Coongrats on the New porta-rig! Any chance of future Yomies being able to spread infection? i.e. turn survivors & Civilians into Yomies?

Edit:

Fixed range nightvision sure sounds like an addon that might be worth considering for the "creep-me-out / make me play with the lights on" factor. Vague shadows and forms moving around at about 50-100m, blackness beyond, death approaching,,, Never thought I'd find a mission that would raise the hairs on my neck.

Question for MP games, if the man1, man2, etc. units were moved to far flung towns on the south side, would they respawn there or at the respawn geurilla marker in the seaport? (If latter=true then execvm ""fitswithstoryline.sqf"";

biggrin_o.gif  ) True it would mean having to locate a nearby vehicle, hope it isnt fubar and race to town (Mabey let player spawn with an m9 and 3 clips like most of the other survivors, or do a random grab bag for starting weapons etc.?) then if it's an MP server, that would just make JiP's more like survivors in need of rescue from the undead hordes.

Hey are you thinking about using Agamoth's apocalypse mod, it would be perfect for this mission.

@ 5133p39: Coongrats on the New porta-rig! Any chance of future Yomies being able to spread infection? i.e. turn survivors & Civilians into Yomies?

Yes, this is one of the planned features.

(if you have more Q about Yomies, use this this thread)

Quote[/b] ]Question for MP games, if the man1, man2, etc. units were moved to far flung towns on the south side, would they respawn there or at the respawn geurilla marker in the seaport?

They will still respawn at the seaport. However when i get around to fixing all current issues one of the next features was in fact to have a sever selectable option for either 'Mercenary' mode which would be the current setup, or Survival mode. Survival mode would have random respawn all across the quarantine zone rather then at the seaport, and maybe a few other differences. Dont expect that any time soon though people.

@Liljb15

Yes i am keeping a close eye on Agamoths Apocalypse mod, once its further into development and release i will definitely consider adding it to the mission.

@thy_raven

I could see this working in some limited form, perhaps players could set up there own 'camps' for a hefty price. Players would only be aloud to have 1 camp at any one time. When players respawn they could have the option at the refugee camp to be teleported to there own camp for a small price, but players could also choose to teleport other players camps for a slightly higher price, % of the money spent to go to other players camp would be paid to the owner of the camp.

Of course this is just an idea i had whiles reading you suggestion and typing this up. I will have to flesh the idea out a bit and again, don't expect any new features in till current version has been fixed up and stabilized.

yes i did see that, will give it a whirl and see if its worth adding when its released.

Now time for another progress update! And its good news!

Recently i have discovered how to host a dedi server and then join it all on one machine. As mention here in this extremely useful MP scripting tutorial by Mandoble & Spooner (thanks guys) which now means i can test Quarantine quickly and reliably in an MP environment without having to organize a beta test and get hold of people with dedicated servers etc... cutting potential testing/bug hunting/fixing time in half and also making the implementation of new features a hell of lot easier.

So with that i have now exterminated numerous bugs that have cropped up only in MP, namely the synchronization of secure area missions with server and clients.

Expect v.2.3 by the weekend if all goes well, then you guys can hopefully be able to go zombie hunting with friends without any problems at all!

woohoo fantastic job and congratulations on the hosting smile_o.gif

wow i checked that link about the MP scripting tutorials the Debugging thing i can definetly use if start thinking of making a mission myself. biggrin_o.gif

D. Man did you see that chainsaw mod by MrBrickMaker that is coming out?huh.gif?

This is a must !!!!!!!!

There is a video of it on http://www.armedassault.info

Need to package it with a 12 gauge Double Barrel Remmington with a walnut Stock in Cobaqlt blue steel ( Dont forget the S-Mart Logo) and an Ash skin.

"This, is my BOOM stick!"

Klatu! Verada! Necktie!

*Edit: It's a shame I never wanted to build something out of a wood fence in the vanilla editor,,,

side="EMPTY";

vehicle="FenceWood";

Why didnt they just call it sandbag wall? banghead.gif

Regardless, the Static M2's dont seem to be having any issues shooting over them / finding targets. biggrin_o.gif

well fritz now im using the latest ARMA beta patch for this mission the problem with AI not being able to fire over sandbag walls is one of the many fixes included in the latest patch:

5170 - Fixed: AI was not able to fire over sandbags unless the enemy came very near.

So all problems with AI M2 guns not mowing down the infected intill they where very near is now solved. thumbs-up.gif

It's funny, with all my excitement over checking to make sure 1.11 didn't break anything in Quarantine I neglected to look thru the changelog. Mabey I'll go do that now. whistle.gif

While you're at it you can get 1.12b.

I thought you were looking for something other than the vanilla wood fence made of sandbags. Not sure why they called it that, but it is consistent with the other odd names.