Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

Great mission, it gives me nightmares those damn zombies! biggrin_o.gif

I do have a problem though and can't get it to work on a dedi server. The mission times out and just sits at the main mission screen. I can host it and have people join but not on a dedicated server even with a game logic in the mission. I'm stumped as to why, do you have any ideas?

Great mission, it gives me nightmares those damn zombies! biggrin_o.gif

I do have a problem though and can't get it to work on a dedi server. The mission times out and just sits at the main mission screen. I can host it and have people join but not on a dedicated server even with a game logic in the mission. I'm stumped as to why, do you have any ideas?

I had a similiar problem when trying to join my mission when it was hosted on a dedicated server. For some strange reason it was only when i selected the very first player slot at top of the list, Selecting other player slots seemed to work fine, once i joined the game 'Player 1' (the first player slot) seemed to be completely missing. Im guessing the two are related, i have no idea why this is happening at all but will look into it.

Quote[/b] ]I found the first time I went to that military base in the south that there were about twenty zombies just standing in front of an MG as if lined up waiting for chow. Made for some easy pickings but the base was overrun.

Also, every time I go to one of those mission areas and clean up the zombies it comes back as mission failed, no players left in the area. This is without leaving the area at any time.

MG thing has already been noted and i will look into tryin to fix it. As for the secrure area missions failing im not sure whats going on there and will look into it.

I did a few missions and they all worked fine for me. The only thing (as I mentioned before) was that you couldn't get a mission end trigger while in a vehicle.

Was it possible that you were in one and it maybe timed out?

That's certainly possible because I usually drive down to these missions and if it's night time set up a few vehicles with their headlights on for a more...sporting harvest. wink_o.gif

However, I get the message something like "mission failed no players left in area" without ever going outside the bounderies and it seems to happen when I've cleared most or all of them out of the area.

I'm usually running a couple mods (trueview, smoke effects, and lowplants) so not sure if there's any interference there. I'll check it out some more and report back if I notice anything else.

It could simply be because you enter a vehicle whiles in the mission zone. For some reason the NearestObject command im using doesn't take into account players who are inside vehicles. Like discussed earlier in thread with missions not activating when players enter the area when inside of a vehicle.

Of course make sure you don't accidentally leave the boundaries of the mission as marked on the map.

nearestObject and triggers only detects objects that are actually in the area, not their respective contents. Easy enough to deal with, though; just iterate though "crew _object" when you iterate through the list of objects given by the detector...

Those missions are a long way to go by foot. But then again that could be fun in itself. pistols.gif

Might be a good idea to have 95% of all abandoned vehicles with no fuel as well as damaged like you have them, which can dial up the intensity quite a bit. Right now it's too easy to find a car in a pinch and just run over zombies. Sure you don't get points/cash but it's more fun to just be in panic mode sometimes trying to GTFO of a horde, and knowing there's a good chance that vehicle you're eyeing up is a stalled out deathtrap makes you think twice about getting in. wink_o.gif

Hey Murphy Man,

I've opened up the latest (2.2) mission in the editor in order to port the mission to another island (don't worry it's for private use only), but whenever I open the gun shop menu it causes massive lag and only displays 1-4 weapons. The lag disappears as soon as you abort the mission, but it makes the missions itself totally unplayable. The car shop menu works perfectly, its just the weapons one.

Any ideas what might be causing it? It's probably me being stupid though... confused_o.gif

I'd guess that not having the weapons addon (RH Pistols) loaded when you were in the editor would cause the shop menu to get into a state (since it is trying to read non-existant config). If it isn't that, I can't see that running it in the editor preview would be any different. But then again, I assume you don't have this problem when playing the game normally rather than in the editor?

(I'm assuming this is a problem with my SPON Money script, which is used by the mission for the shopping and banking. Otherwise, I'd leave it to the author ;P).

Well I've tried it with a clean install (just the required addons) and it's working fine so it's not your scripts, nor Murphys mission. I guess I'll just have to fiddle around and see what works.

Cheers for the reply tho Spooner.  smile_o.gif

Edit - seems to be a conflict with the FFN mod...

Wow, havent had as much fun since Seek & Destroy.

I've run pretty much nothing but Secure Area missions in SP since 2.2 came out. Really nice stuff. Thou I admit being able to run them in the saftey of a fully manned UH-60 ( whistle.gif ) has it's own appeal. Running 1.08 so savegame isnt an option really But it's ok, I can always get stuff back.

Hmmm. can I fit the mission.sqm and init files into a PM to the Author?(rural dialup is sloooow. Last dl was 2.6Kbps banghead.gif )

Can spawn points be made variable relative to ones bank balance? I think I may build one on an island if so. And another at the airfield where I set up a resupply post. (I figure a natural rate of progression over time as far as establishing more stable environments.) Definatly gonna check out map_misc, Portable Chaingun would be nice for the Yomie mobs. Thou I do really want to add an occasional zombie to the survivors list, ya' know, just to have a "Bud" Type Yomie hangin around. It would come in handy for when a Yomie sneaks up on me, He could Yomi-Bash my attacker and perhaps save me a trip to the Field hospital tent. May try keeping 1 survivor in an MH-6 (Mabey a KA-50, we'll see) and use him to trigger spawning while I sit back on a hilltop with the svd?

Mabey setting up a Merc-for-hire post similar to the stores?

Hmmm...

Hope 1.11 dosent break anything, would be nice to save.

Ooops, I digress..

The one real annoying bug I saw was that on rare occasion my troops would turn on me, (My Tag went red??). At first I thought it was due to my having made spawn and trigger markers overlap (Hey, they had alot more Zombies Spawning in them!! lol )

And yes, I noticed the trigger issue for Secure missions while in a vehicle, but on the plus side, I was in an Apache at the time. As long as I dont trigger the start of the mission by getting out with an, I can just rocket them all away, land, pick off the "hiders" ala. M249 and complete the mission sucessfuly. Oh wait, alot of you dont have an Apache... band.gif

goodnight.gif

Cracking work Murphy!

Can I ask how you over-came the problem of only 144 units being spawned?

You talked a few pages back about the script you were using to delete bodies not working, so you made sure the yomies own one was used instead (delete group & vehicle I think you mentioned).

You see i'm making a missions, works great. Got 15 yomie_spawn markers all spawning fine (with 50-80 yomies in, on 'infinate'wink_o.gif but when I run through all my markers till the last one, they seem to stop spawning completly.

My general thoughts were that the yomies were actucally deleted out of the marker once the player leaves, so that if the player enters a new marker, yomies will spawn and not be affected by the 144 max rule, but this dosnt seem to be the case.

I've tried yomies own template, and the demo mission as bases to make my mission, but still no avail.

Is there some kind of remove yomie script/tripper needed other than the one in their own template?

Or do you just have to waste all the yomies in the area? (even though you should be able to have 'infinate' on so they keep coming)

I'm stumped. thumbs-up.gif

The one real annoying bug I saw was that on rare occasion my troops would turn on me, (My Tag went red??). At first I thought it was due to my having made spawn and trigger markers overlap (Hey, they had alot more Zombies Spawning in them!! lol )

As far as I can tell about the own troops attacking, it is your rating relative to them. The Yomies have a rating of -50000 so they are enemy to everyone yet they are still technically on the independent side. If you are playing on the independent side as well or are BluFor and have them set to friendly with the independent side, killing one gives you negative rating. Just as if you shot one of your own men.

I got around this by giving myself a rating of 50000 so I need to kill a lot of them (and I do mean a lot) to have my rating drop down to where I am considered an enemy. The strange (or perhaps not so strange) thing is that it doesn't matter how many my teammates kill, they do not attack each other.

Essentially you can also rig up a script that gives you a positive rating when you kill them, similar to earning money for it.

At least these are my observations.

I've got a bug.

I'm hosting a multiplayer game

On my dedicated server, no players see the 'secure area mission' text that should appear, but they see it on the map.

No players can 'rescue' survivors.

On my own game, that I have hosted on my PC (Arma->multiplayer->New etc) ONLY I can see the 'secure area mission' marker, and rescue survivors.

The others can see them, but still not rescue them or complete the secure area missions.

What's the probem here?

As far as I can tell about the own troops attacking, it is your rating relative to them.   ,,,

Essentially you can also rig up a script that gives you a positive rating when you kill them, similar to earning money for it.

I was a bit puzzled as to why the yomies were on my team in the editor. lol.

But theres already a 5k rating bonus for each kill in the stock init. Guess I'll bump it to 10k n' see. Thanks for the tip Snake.

On the plus side, the 1.11 patch did not only not break anything thus far but I can now actualy save my game. (Hope the +10000 a head rating works)

Alot of very well done "tricky-scripting" went into this, much appreciated. Nearly every time I've got arma-edit running I find myself in awe.

Now with my save-game feature working, I'm all the more curious as to if the spawn base can be made variable to coincide with one's bank account? Would be cool, working up from a pocket full of lint and a dream, to an anti-zombie warlord with a small army at my command. This is why I love ArmA so much, nearly endless friggin' possibilities. If only allied AI didn't have such wanderlust. (Tried adding a spotter/medic support team, but every time I opened up, they ran for the hills. )

Even if iam not a fan of zombie scenarios i had a lot of fun with this mission. notworthy.gif

Edit:

The problem with negative rating due to zombie kills is very anyoing.

Even if iam not a fan of zombie scenarios i had a lot of fun with this mission.  notworthy.gif

Edit:

The problem with negative rating due to zombie kills is very anyoing.

@ Al Simmons: Line 46 in the main init.sqf  file, 5000 points added to rating per zombie killed. I bumped mine up to 15000 last night and so far, so good. But no promise it's an absolute fix.

@BobNed: Have your players customised thier files in any way? Namely, if they spawn as anything but "OfficerG" they wont be able to trigger the missions. So if you've got a guy spawning with an M249, you know why he's having issues.

Thou I guess it could be the game taking refrence from the first OfficerG in the list from the securearea.sqs if everyones running stock. Mabey a change in line 6, 12 and 21 to refrence man_1, man_2 etc. as opposed to OfficerG could help the triggering issue?  Not sure, I dont script per-se I just tinker, but it sounds logical.

thumbs-up.gif

Edit: Mabey if the securearea.sqf refrenced "isPlayer" instead of the Object type or literal name of the unit it could fix the MP triggering issue? I know changing it allowed me to use the Spy from Queens Gambit, has more of a "Hellbent for Leather" feel to it as one would expect from a Zombie-Hunter.

Hey guys sorry i havnt been in contact for a while. Been busy working night shifts in my new job and sleeping most of the day. As such i havnt had any time at all to work on the mission. However i have been taking note of all the bugs you guys are reporting and will get right to work on it when i find the time.

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions and bug hunting/reporting, its much appreciated and motivating to see people actually enjoying and playing my mission.

@BigBadBobNed

Quote[/b] ]My general thoughts were that the yomies were actucally deleted out of the marker once the player leaves, so that if the player enters a new marker, yomies will spawn and not be affected by the 144 max rule, but this dosnt seem to be the case.
Correct, this isn't the case at all. To get around this i used a trigger covering slightly larger area then the marker. Made it activate on players presence, and in the activation line of the trigger i put:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">call compile format ["bSpawn%1=true", _i];

_i being the number of the yomie_spawn marker you wish to activate

and on deactivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_i call fDisableSpawn;

_i again being the number of the marker you wish to deactivate when player leaves.

Further information on yomies and there spawning can be found here

Of course feel free to unpbo my mission for reference if your still unclear, or want to take a look at other scripts and such, be warned thou i am not the most tidy or organized mission maker and things might get a bit confusing.

Cheers,

Murphy.

One Problem I'm noticing is while in an armed Vehicle, the HUD Tag goes red after having gunned down a good number of Yomies, do vehicles have a rating similar to the player character?

P.S. : Murphy, I relocated things over to sara_dbe1 and noticed it runs a bit smoother (ArmAeffects on in both cases), possibly from there being less objects like the border wall in Corazol(sp...?) thou I did replace it with a barbed wire fence, still less textures to load I suppose. Nontheless there seemed to be less chug. And less Chug is good unless we're talkin' Beer.

And RE: those Slacker MG gunners at the Quarantined outpost,,, I noticed it's typicly the same gunners who die, almost immediatly (5 minutes) after mission start. So I got curious and set an MH^ at my spawn so I could get there a.s.a.p. and see what was going on. Seems the MG nests occasionaly gun each other down. Could it be the AI "playing it safe" or the Gunners commander ordering a cease fire after a friendly fire incident? I'll try playing around with their firing arc and see if it helps any. But then they still get picked off by the roaming troops at times. Mabey some Out of fuel Vulcans set to Sentry the Gates as opposed to MG nests? It would be "cleaner" fencing the Vulcans off as to prevent Zombies spawning behind them. Or mabey figuring out some means to keep the zombies from spawning within the base perimiter?

P.S.S. I noticed in another Zombie related thread there was mention of another Zombie addon where they could infect Civilians and such. Did you try mixing the two or would that not work. Had some ideas for a campaign where that could be usefull but not crucial, I like the 28 days later Yomies you used thumbs-up.gif

Good thing I'm unemployed, or I soon would be. I like this mission so much I'm actually getting to the point of not needing to look at the map for directions.

Is it possible that the gunners are getting a negative rating from killing the zombies and being shot for it? Sort of the same way you notice you are "red" when in a vehicle.

I have been shot out of a vehicle by a survivor and I thought it was a fluke caused by him shooting a zombie behind me, but nope. I was the only one in the area and he shot me dead in one deliberately. This was in an MP session with my buddy hosting on a non-dedicated machine.

I have noticed that AI can have difficulty seeing through wire fence or barbed wire, as if the model is solid with very small gaps of opportunity. This maybe why the zombies can sometimes get in easily, the AI gunners can't see them and thus are not tracking them. Or they see one, turn to look and miss another coming in until too late, the other gunner opens on it killing the first one who was oblivious to the whole thing.

One solution to this problem might be to simply make the players BLUFOR by default - the quick n' dirty way being grouping them to a nonexistant (probability of presence : 0) blufor guy with a higher ranking from the start (won't show up anywhere), and setting Independent to Hostile to All. That -should- solve most of your problems, methinks. smile_o.gif

Wolfrug out.

I dont know why but, with the new version and its the only version i have, when i saved i tried to reload.. But everytime i load the mission it does a CTD..

huh.gif

Please help

I think that this is likely to be the well-known bug in ArmA which means that more complex missions won't restore properly from a save. If you use ArmA 1.09 beta (or the new 1.11 beta) you should have no problems.

Cheers spooner.

I have the 1.09 beta, will give a it a shot..

I was just playing this mission to see how it went and i got really into it..

i love nailing zombies/demons... pistols.gif