Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

D.Murphy man,

Wonderful mission!  I have been waiting for a mission just like this! It's things like this that makes Arma really special.

I just have one request, would it be possible to add some friendly units to the weapon smuggler?

I often play single player, and as of the latest version it is just too hard to sell things at the smuggler.

I often only have time to sell one item before I get mobbed by zombies and have to fight my way out.

The last time it cost me a very expensive MH-6 which I worked hard to get smile_o.gif

Once again though, excellent work! I just can't get enough of the zombie/survival.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention when I played the new version in single player there was an error with the bank script.

Most likely because of the changable starting money added in the new version.

Is there anyway I could fix this on my end? If you have the time would you mind releasing a single player version with a set amount of starting cash?

Thank you!

About the survivors, I find them annoying this time around now that I've played it a bit. Now that they have guns they are less likely to come with me. Whenever they see zombies running around they just chase them down and get killed.

I suspect this is all part of the normal game AI though as regular soldiers do that too, but it's way too hard to keep a group of civilians alive when they charge a horde of undead and don't come back when called.

About the survivors, I find them annoying this time around now that I've played it a bit. Now that they have guns they are less likely to come with me. Whenever they see zombies running around they just chase them down and get killed.

I suspect this is all part of the normal game AI though as regular soldiers do that too, but it's way too hard to keep a group of civilians alive when they charge a horde of undead and don't come back when called.

tell them to disengage and cease fire

Thanks for feedback all!

gsleighter

Quote[/b] ]Played for a few hours today coop, after a while, you still don't get any zombies. I should be running from hordes, but they spawn in threes and fours, and eventually, not at all. It's a real showstopper, it usually happens around nightfall, when things should be getting really tense.

I have confirmed this myself recently when play testing online, seems theres still a unit cap on amount of units that can be spawned even thou i used the method to 'brake' the unit cap previously discussed by others in the thread. At the moment im completely stumped on how to solve this issue, and assistance would be much appreciated by any scripting pro's out there so i maybe hopefully get a quick fix out at soon as possible.

Quote[/b] ] Also, it seems very difficult to rescue survivors, because they spawn with zombies, and are usually too far to save before they get killed. Maybe you could spawn them in groups, or use an action at a designated building to spawn them?

The number of survivors spawned, as well as zombies, is of course subject to tweaking through out development. In the next version i shall up the amount of survivors to be found in each city and towns.
Quote[/b] ]Rifles also seem very expensive, but there were never enough zombies or survivors spawned to save enough for one, so I shot a guard and took his M4 instead. Also, once you get a rifle, you never need to use a pistol again, so maybe you could get rid of the pistol pack requirement, as it doesn't add much, and might discourage new players who aren't sure about addons yet.
The prices where made so high as to give players something to aim for and give a sense of progression and 'leveling up' as seen in RPG's. If i can hopefully sort out the ever so difficult spawning system to work properly hopefully there will be a large enough population of zombies and survivors to earn enough cash to make buying rifles easier. Of course prices are also subject to tweaking during development and i admit current prices for rifles may be a bit steep.

As for the pistol pack requirement i feel it adds a bit more variety to choose from instead of the limited standard choices, hopefully players wont be put off having to download 2 addons. However i will remove it if theres demand to do so.

Quote[/b] ]And finally, after a while you just get bored of killing zombies. Maybe add some objectives, or side missions? Eventually, you just end up trying to run over zombies with a truck, until that stops being fun, too. And how about some zombie attacks, especially at night? There should be more troops at the border, and maybe some searchlights or patrols into the quarantine area. Gets really boring if you're the only things moving in there.
I am planning missions and other things for players to do as well as things to add to the atmosphere with military patrols etc... see bottom of the first post for details.

Bloodofthedragon

Quote[/b] ]I just have one request, would it be possible to add some friendly units to the weapon smuggler?

I often play single player, and as of the latest version it is just too hard to sell things at the smuggler.

I often only have time to sell one item before I get mobbed by zombies and have to fight my way out.

The last time it cost me a very expensive MH-6 which I worked hard to get

Will look into it, i didnt want to make it too easy to be able to smuggle weapons, im also planning to have the weapon smuggler be a boat that randomly drives around the shore and sets up shops at random locations to keep things more dynamic.
Quote[/b] ] Oops, I forgot to mention when I played the new version in single player there was an error with the bank script.

Most likely because of the changable starting money added in the new version.

Is there anyway I could fix this on my end? If you have the time would you mind releasing a single player version with a set amount of starting cash?

Thank you!

This can easily be fixed if you open up multiplayer and simply host this mission by yourself on LAN. Then you can choose the starting bank balance and view distance and carry on playing. You'll also have the advantage of respawn.

Radius

Quote[/b] ]About the survivors, I find them annoying this time around now that I've played it a bit. Now that they have guns they are less likely to come with me. Whenever they see zombies running around they just chase them down and get killed.

Sadly i feel civilians must be armed in order to survive long enough to be rescued before being devoured by zombies, but this of course also means theyll engage enemy and not follow orders due to the Arma AI and also get killed. so its a bit of a catch 22 situation. But as BLUFOR said you can always order them to cease fire.

Thanks for all feedback and comments guys, its much appreciated and keeps me motivated and helps make this mission perfect and bug free. My first priority is fixing the god damn spawning system, so far every spawning system iv tried as been flawed and i simply lack the knowledge and skills to fix or make my own.

If theres any one who thinks they could offer a solution to the spawning problems id be very great full!

How about you only have a set number of zombies to start, and don't spawn them with DAC?

Create them in a radius around the player, so it's the same effect as the player moves around the map, but don't continually spawn new zombies, just reuse the old ones. By which I mean, after a certain amount of damage, maybe you could play a death move animation and put a timer on the zombie to make it lay down until the player moves, or after a countdown, get back up to attack you (They are the living dead, after all). Take a total of say 150 zombies, and break them down into groups that respawn close, medium, and far distances, and then use group link to control their behavior (I'm assuming that's how the zombies are hording right now). You could add some balancing to multiplayer by spawning a certain number of zombies per player, so that a group of eight players would have more zombies to deal with, which might up the tension factor.

Just some thoughts, I'm not a scripter, so I don't know how easy something like this is to implement.

I think that be pretty hard if not impossible (at least with my skills) to achieve. Also i am not using DAC or any grouplinking scripts. The current spawning system is the one that came with the Yomies addon, although slightly edited to spawn civilians as well as the supposedly brake the unit limit (which doesn't seem to of worked).

Also V2 now Hosted at Armaholic, thanks Big!

Hey, loving the new version, hearing gunshots the second I entered the quarantined area really gave an impression of 28 weeks later lol

Got a few suggestions...

Like the other guy, having some guys at the smugglers location would be nice, I was sprinting my butt off to get there thinking 'safety!' only for when I got there, there was only a flag and a group of infected who were chasing me, forcing for onto the dock.

Another thing, when I was dropping zed after zed I noticed the bodys really start to pile up, on a mission I have a made with yomies the bodys are always everywhere, which is good but it slows up my computer, do you have a way of removing them?

Just a small thing as well, its spelt 'FIELD' not 'feild' lol

Apart from that, great map, I just want to find some people to play it with online now

There is a remove body script active, how ever it deletes bodies every 1 minute, time might be lowered if its causing performance problems. However i wanted enough time to be available so to give players time loot bodies should they find any.

Ah right sounds good, I guess I kind of shoot and run off without noticing the bodies piling up.

Played a game last night, was a great laugh, me and a couple of my clan members, was quite a rush one minute patrolling a pretty quiet town, only for suddenly infected to appear from nowhere.

Great on the yomies by the way, they now come from nowhere and dont run along the road like the other zombies, its also scary when you run up into a building and they follow, I would be lieing if I said I wasnt freaked out sometimes, lol

What are the plans for the Military Patrols into the quarantined? It would be great if there were other forces at work apart from the stranded Base, maybe the odd patrol of maybe 4 just spawn? It sounded good hearing civillians shooting zombies with their weapons, however would sound and look a lot better suddenly bumping into a squad of 3 firing at a crowd approaching from all over.

Great map, love it.

The patrols are yet to be fleshed out at the moment but should expect just random squads in vehicles patrolling and maybe the odd helicopter patrol around the island.

I am also planning a radio players can either buy or gain by doing mission for military base like patroling areas etc.. using the radio would summon a helicopter to come pick you up (would cost you some money) which players can use to evac survivors or simply transport them back to the military base if they need to pick up supplies etc..

However at the moment im mainly concentrating on getting the spawning to work so zombies dont dry up.

you should also increase the amount of zombies spawned in cities, right now theres maybe 8 or 10 zombies each time which is way too little. having to actually run for your life from 20-30 zombies would be fun biggrin_o.gif btw in future versions is it gonna be just zombie rpg or zombie survival rpg? right now its too easy.

The number of zombies spawned will be changed in future versions base on performance more the any thing. Currently its around 20 - 30 zombies on average that spawn in cities. With 12 potential players running around the entire island triggering off different spawns could cause some lag if i increase it.

At moment just trying to get damn spawns to work properly is causing headaches.

First of all the update is pretty awesome and is good fun.

But i can hardly ever find survivors sad_o.gif after 30mins or so of play i only found one. Also when i was being chased by some zombies, a couple of them just disappeared, no bodys or anything.

First of all the update is pretty awesome and is good fun.

But i can hardly ever find survivors  sad_o.gif  after 30mins or so of play i only found one. Also when i was being chased by some zombies, a couple of them just disappeared, no bodys or anything.

Really? Usually when I get about 10 steps into the quarantined area from the border I suddenly hear shots from survivors all over the place shooting zombies (sounds really good hearing all these different guns firing off).

I have to admit when you hear shots by the time you get there it is either a dead body with a free gun or a mob of waiting zombies, I played for about 10 minutes and found about 5 survivors.

Last time I played was for 1.5 hours and I found 2 survivors. Wasn't an issue though as I was just running and gunning for zombies. I was bored... wink_o.gif

But it is hard to rescue them as a single player. MP is far more fun because you can get 4 or 5 people clearing the area while 1 person rescues everyone. That's how we do it anyhow.

The number of survivors that spawn might be increased in later versions.

Quote[/b] ]Also when i was being chased by some zombies, a couple of them just disappeared, no bodys or anything.
When leaving a 'zone' the zombies associated with that zone are deleted. It doesn't look very good if your being chased by zombies and then they suddenly disappear admittedly but it was the easiest and most simple solution to stop zombies piling up every time players entered and left zones.

Good news guys! I think iv cracked the problem with the zombies drying up. I think it might of been the delete body script i was using instead of the delete body script that came with Yomies. It seems the yomies one uses deletegroup as well as deletevehicle. Thus freeing up the used groups in the spawning progress so that more can be spawned. Thats my understanding of this any way. Where as the other remove script i was using didn't delete groups meaning once a group was used, even if the zombie had died and been removed, would still count towards the 144 limit.

So iv reverted back to using the yomies remove body script, and will have to test it to see if zombies don't dry up. at the moment i dont have time to test it (since i need an hour + to test) but if all goes to plan a hot fix will be released some time tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Once thats out the way ill get working on more features like missions and adding the scenery and atmosphere.

I know they're still WIP, but would you consider doing a version with the civilian partisans addon in the works? Would add a lot more of that post-apocalyptic flare than the blue beret.

I know they're still WIP, but would you consider doing a version with the civilian partisans addon in the works? Would add a lot more of that post-apocalyptic flare than the blue beret.

I agree, and I was also wondering if you could add in some food script so you could actually starve to death if you don't eat, it'll give you a reason to rush and you'd always wonder, "Do I have enough food to make it this far?". And if you think about most zombie movies have at least one scene where someone loots a grocery store for food. Also please keep the RHS pistols I hate the vanilla pistols.

I have been keeping a close eye on that addon and will definitely consider adding them to the mission once they are released as they seem just perfect for this type of mission.

With that in mind ill also consider releasing a 'lite' version only requiring the Yomies addon, as i understand some players frustration or unwillingness to download numerous addons to play a single mission.

As for food thing ill think about it, but i think that would be lower on the list of my priorities for time being whiles get spawning system working, optional side missions, outposts back in, and military patrols. My long term goal is to make variations of quarantine, one of which would be 'Quarantine apocalypse' Where the entire island has been over run, in that i think the food script would certainly be included.

Hi

I just tested your mission a few days back, it was pretty fun. I think the starting area should be more condensed, as I see no reason as to why the bank and small arms dealer are so far apart! I did not really test too much because I kept on dying, my aim is quite bad so I only blame myself, I also encountered some difficulty with rescuing survivors they often didn't want to get into my car or move with me. So I decide to just kill them for their guns instead...

Apart from that I have a question:

How do you get yomies to attack you! I have downloaded the mission template yet it seems something is missing and I can get the yomies to spawn, but they won't attack! So out of curiosity how did you get around this ?? [i am asking here since it seems the thread doesn't address this problem]!

How do you get yomies to attack you! I have downloaded the mission template yet it seems something is missing and I can get the yomies to spawn, but they won't attack! So out of curiosity how did you get around this ?? [i am asking here since it seems the thread doesn't address this problem]!

set independent friendly to none in editor. its the same place where you change time & weather (:

With that in mind ill also consider releasing a 'lite' version only requiring the Yomies addon, as i understand some players frustration or unwillingness to download numerous addons to play a single mission.

I wouldn't worry too much about a lite version of that kind. Either you want an addon-free mission (impossible if you want decent zombies) or one that uses addons. If using addons, 3 addons isn't really any more effort for people than just one. As long as you aren't just adding addons for the sake of it, I'm sure people would be quite happy as long as it didn't get out of hand - and, of course, it was very clear which addons were required.

I believe the problem with required addons is that some of RH weapons requires QG, which a few people don't have wink_o.gif

I've found what seems to be a bug, at the weapons shop you can buy two different USP magazines, but only one of them seems to work with the USP you can buy at said dealer.

oh and you cant buy all pistols either :/ did you leave the rest out on purpose? such as the tt33