Sign in to follow this  
Jaksa.

Ammo and armour for ww2 mods

There is more and more ww2 mods. Every one has his own ammo and armour value for the same stuff. I would like to propose an unification. Something like jam for ofp. What do you think about it?

No matter how special each mod thinks their work is, unified ammo and units is the best solution for everyone. I hope there are no selfish mod teams to shoot this idea down.

well... why not just unify and use BIS values?

very simple and everyone has a reference...

It is a good idea, however the last time an attempt was made, the level of interest and co-operation was low. Good luck though, I hope it finally works out right smile_o.gif

And of course it would be best to base values on those of BIS, they might not be accurate, but at least they will be balanced with regard to the original game.

The problem with trying to balance with BIS values, at least for heavy weapons, is that it will produce incredibly low armor and damage values. So you can kill a tank with a few grenades. Oops.

Standardization is a good thing, though, but it really needs to be at least partially independent of BIS values. With the small arms and the like, BIS values are probably safe enough to use as a starting point (bullets haven't changed that much in their capabilities in the last 60 years, armor and AT weapons have).

I've worked armor and damage values a lot for OFP (haven't started on ArmA yet... will soon), so anyone who would like to start such an initiative feel free to contact me.

smile_o.gif Canukausiuka

edit: stupid grammar errors

Addons are made not only by modteams, but we have standalone ones as well. As a player, i was really upset seeing nice tank, wchitch can be killed by few rifle shots. Or undestroyable one...

the response is not so big... But, for small arms is a simple quest (i hope so). It need just ammo and mags classnames, and so on. The bigger problem is an armour.

It is a much bigger issue for addonmakers, of course. Mods tend to at least have a unified damage framework within their mod, even if its not compatible with other mods.

Regardless of who is developing or using a unified system, there is a lot to work out. In OFP, all you had to worry about was hit=x; for each type of ammo. In ArmA, you have to worry about hit=x;, typicalSpeed=x; and airFriction=x;, as well as the weapon's initSpeed=x;. Even if everyone uses the same hit=x; values, by not standardizing the other values as well, different addons could still behave very differently. And that still ignores other weapon-specific behaviors, such as dispersion, reloadTime, AI firing modes, AI rate of fire, and AI dispersion.

Frankly, there's an awful lot to consider, and an awful lot to get everyone to accept. Because, lets face it, everyone has their own idea of how their addon should work. I'd like to think that enough addonmakers and modteams could get behind such an initiative, I just have my doubts. Even for myself, I think I would have a hard time accepting someone else's idea for how my work should be done. Of course, I'm a coder by nature, perhaps addonmakers who focus on modelling or texturing would be more willing to adopt this type of standard.

Again, if anyone is serious about trying to work out some sort of system, feel free to contact me.

smile_o.gif Canukausiuka