Sign in to follow this  
WARFIGHTER989

Where exactly is sahrani?

There was a thread on this, but its no where on the globe. tounge2.gif

North Atlantic?  Is there desert and tropical plants/trees in the North Atlantic?

Yes, just look at canarie islands for example, they have a very similar type of climate...dry south and lush north.

North Atlantic just says its in the northern hemissphere...that includes the tropical regions.

http://maps.google.de/maps?oe....10&om=1

I've always pictured it sort of off of Africa's coast, although it's like all white people that look like they live all russian-like...so it's really confusing. You'd think it would be an island near Russia or some place like that.

I thought it's supposed to be off the coast of Brazil. Which would still put it in the north atlantic.But it's coordinates on the wiki article, put it evenly between the USA and Europe, around the same latitude as Spain.

Guadelupe.

Search function should have brought up many topics about this..

Sahrani is anywhere you want it to be. It has a lat/long

merely because the game engine demanded it (so as to draw

the stars appropriately).

I do suspect, though, that they intended to make it middle-

Eastern but chickened out at the last minute. "Sahrani" is

indubitably an Arabic-sounding name (and the theme tune is

Middle-Eastern too), not a mid-Atlantic Hispanic name.

I do suspect, though, that they intended to make it middle-

Eastern but chickened out at the last minute. "Sahrani" is

indubitably an Arabic-sounding name (and the theme tune is

Middle-Eastern too), not a mid-Atlantic Hispanic name.

If you check the license plates on some civilian cars the lettering looks to be Arabic.

Wasn't the name based on the Bible? As all their other islands have been named (code names at least) after Biblical figures like Abel and Caine. Nogova was "Noe" which is Czech for Noah. Sarah was Abraham's wife methinks but they made it sound more place namey, if that makes sense lol.

I don't think they knew what they were basing Sahrani on. It seems like it's supposed to be Spanish speaking, yet it has Arabic architecture in the South and an Arabic name. Porto even has a minaret.

The posters in the North are a mixture of Spanish and Portuguese - all are Spanish except the 'No Passarao Sulistas', which is Portuguese for 'No passage for Southerners'.

This mish-mash of cultural influences combined with the completely different landscape of the North and South (you can't have half of a tiny island tropical/desert with palm trees and the other half temperate with pine trees crazy_o.gif ) make Sahrani a totally unviable island, and a nightmare to make a realistic story-driven campaign around. That said, I like the island and some of the towns in it. It's just so implausible as a whole.

Sahrani imho is derived from the (more or less) famous level designer guru name Sam Shahrani.

Still thats just the opinion of a fanatic (& now homeless) ofp slut..