Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

setposasl madness

setposaslproblem.jpg

All of these wall sections have the same absolute altitude and vector.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setPosASL [(getPosASL this select 0), (getPosASL this select 1),203]; this setVectorUp [0, 0, 1];

But they all at different heights. What is this madness?

And these two huts are 10 cm apart. One is 202.1 and the other is 202.2

setposaslproblem2.jpg

Never used the code you do, so I can't tell. Maybe the position is relative to terrain ?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, (getpos this select 2) +1]

- works fine for me

There is another topic about it I've found since I wrote this. setposasl is supposed to be absolute to sea level, but when you stack to on top of the other, things get all weird. In those pics, the big stone pedestal is placed using setposasl to get all 3 parts of it level, but then trying to put stuff on top makes it go all screwy.

Men and vehicles fall to the ground (or what ever object they are on) when the game starts, but buildings stay exactly where they start. They don't seem to be subject to gravity.

Anyhow, I've used setpos for the buildings on top and that seems to work, though it takes masses of fine tuning. Setposasl really is a dropped ball here. If it worked as advertised, it'd be fantastic, but as with so many things under the bonnet of ArmA, it's badly flawed.

Never used the code you do, so I can't tell. Maybe the position is relative to terrain ?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, (getpos this select 2) +1]

- works fine for me

No that's the whole point of setposasl, it's relative to sea level, so should be constant around the whole game world. It's supposed to ignore terrain heights. Setpos is indeed height above terrain.

though it takes masses of fine tuning.

Thats why we need some sort of 3d Editor so things like this can be done in one swift movement.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setPosASL [(getPosASL this select 0), (getPosASL this select 1),203]; this setVectorUp [0, 0, 1];

I havent had issue with it.

Is it in the right position BEFORE you setVectorUp ?

Yes, it was.

I dropped the objects in, position them, then setposasl them, then last of all, set the vector.

its the roadway/pathway lods they mess with heights(even setposasl as in ofp) especially near steps

try modeltoworld from biki.

for experimenting combine it with boundingbox . this way you can find max z extremity of the founder building and set according to this using RELPOS

I've seen modeltoworld and worldtomodel. They made my head hurt. Maybe BIS could fix setposasl and make it work as advertised.