Sign in to follow this  
-Variable-

CiA co-op night

Last night games were good as usual, we managed to complete for the first time in ArmA's history Medicus' mission "The Bridge of Iguana" yay.gif Here are some screenshots:

INQwiper taking out the Abrams at the Junction

arma2007121122044326gv1.jpg

AI emptying his mag endlessly into the loosing connection RyanGrozny.

arma2007121123560139ks0.jpg

Pulverizer and Simon

arma2007121123513437sf6.jpg

Thanks for the games everyone!

Before tonight's game I would like to discuss with you all, members and guests alike, ways to improve our game order.

It seems as if the second the commander is killed, hell breaks loose and the team falls apart. If the leader gets killed it doesnt mean that there is no leader anymore, it only means that he is replaced by another member of the team.

So how do you guys suggest we act in this incase?

One way would be to appoint a second & third in command who will be fully briefed and aware of the situation at all times. Personally, when I play a minor role and then get field-promoted to a leader role, I can hardly follow the original plan as I don't always know what it is and what is going on with the other fireteams members (something I should obviously work on whistle.gif).

One way would be to appoint a second & third in command who will be fully briefed and aware of the situation at all times.

I second that.

It is mandatory to designate the assistant leaders who will take command after the main leader's death and furthermore do a general briefing for the whole mission (as far as possible).

A bad thing to do would be: "Alpha squad go to hill xy" better: "Alpha take hill xy and watch direction z to intercept possible reinforcements while Bravo does the attack".

The commander's intent should be clear to all participants so that the assistant leader can act accordingly when he/they have to take over command, and maybe adapt the plan if necessary.

Before tonight's game I would like to discuss with you all, members and guests alike, ways to improve our game order.

Edit: isn't Arma on tuesdays?

For one squad missions I think the obvious thing is to have a chain of command in accordance with the slot numbers (which is supported by the game: after #1 dies, #2 takes command). As for operations with more than one squad, I suggest that the other squad leaders take command. So Id make a list of proposed chain of command (multi team op):

1) Operation Leader

2) Remaining Squad Leaders

3) Members of CiA(cause they have a lot of XP tounge2.gif )

4) small chance anyone else will be left after that goodnight.gif

Quote[/b] ]One way would be to appoint a second & third in command who will be fully briefed and aware of the situation at all times.

This is something to think about, especialy if the command breakdown upon commander's death will keep on happening.

Quote[/b] ]The commander's intent should be clear to all participants so that the assistant leader can act accordingly when he/they have to take over command, and maybe adapt the plan if necessary.

Everybody should be aware of the plan all the time, and not just because they might find themselves as leaders. It is necessary to understand your unit's condition and aim inorder to perform efficiently, and for the least of it- to avoid firing on friendlies.

Quote[/b] ]For one squad missions I think the obvious thing is to have a chain of command in accordance with the slot numbers (which is supported by the game: after #1 dies, #2 takes command). As for operations with more than one squad, I suggest that the other squad leaders take command. So Id make a list of proposed chain of command (multi team op):

1) Operation Leader

2) Remaining Squad Leaders

3) Members of CiA(cause they have a lot of XP  )

4) small chance anyone else will be left after that

There is a possibility that the one who gets the command pannel will become the leader. That's what we have done thus far. I do, however, acknowledge the fact that not all would like to lead (even if they are CiA members hehe), and I dont expect these players to avoid taking the 2nd and the 3rd slots just to avoid the chance of leading in case the leader dies so something else must be done. So maybe never mind the command panel? those who feel that they can take control of the situation should declare that they are taking command, at least until the situation stabilizes. Indeed, two players might be taking command, but this is better then no one taking responsibility at all. Please reply what you think about this idea.

Quote[/b] ]Edit: isn't Arma on tuesdays?

It is, Today we play OFP. But this discussion is relevant to both of the games smile_o.gif I chose to post it here for the benefit of those of us who are new to CiA games, and they are mostly ArmA players.

Hola,

i think it is in fact good to have a short talk about the main plan before the mission starts, so everyone knows the plan of the leader.

Next i think it is good if we just keep the "game given" chain of command, because it is good and helpful to give commands over TS and/or the Action Menu. So i would keep this as we handled it before. I think it worked fine for most of the time so far. When i dont want to lead, i take indeed a slot in the end, and everyone should do that, if he feels like this.

If anyone sees himself in trouble if he becomes leader anyways, its easy to ask someone else, if he can take lead instead. Actually i did that a few weeks ago just in that way, i see no problem in that...

If there is a change of leaders it is absolutely normal, that the new leader will need a certain time to orientate and gets an overview (and even to change the plan completly maybe - keep that in mind too). So the "grunts" should keep that in mind and try to help the new leader. What ever that means - it will depend on the situation, your sanity will help you out (maybe wink_o.gif). If you are not sure, stay where you are and ask for orders!

So in short i would say:

1. The leader gives a short overview in the start

2. Who ever has the control panel takes command (and tells this the others immediately)

3. If someone has troubles with that, he reports and we will find another leader instead.

That gives a simple rule and place for individuality in once.

Greets

Tony

PS: I missed the last Arma night, but in the OFP Coops we do just that quite well in the last few weeks i think! Last night was really cool, even when we couldnt finish Zwobots insane mission smile_o.gif !

I may or may not be at tomorrow's night, but if I am, I'll have a nicely upgraded computer.

Last night was really cool, even when we couldnt finish Zwobots insane mission smile_o.gif !

Do you mean insane good or insane bad? Or simply insane - whatever that's supposed to mean (clarify please)?

I am still a bit unhappy with the role of the pilots in the mission, they are not involved after the insertion and it can take quite some time until all AA threats are eliminated confused_o.gif

On topic:

I don't know how it is in Arma but in Ofp it sometimes happens that the leader dies and no one gets the "command bar", even although the leader has been reported death in the groupchat.

But if this happens the same rule that Tony described should be applied: Number 2 or whatever takes over and informes the other players about it. However I think it couldn't harm to explicitly designate the chain of leaders in the briefing; just in case any other player than number 2 or whatever gets the command bar after leader's death (it can happen).

Do you mean insane good or insane bad? Or simply insane - whatever that's supposed to mean (clarify please)?

I am still a bit unhappy with the role of the pilots in the mission, they are not involved after the insertion and it can take quite some time until all AA threats are eliminated  confused_o.gif

On topic:

I don't know how it is in Arma but in Ofp it sometimes happens that the leader dies and no one gets the "command bar", even although the leader has been reported death in the groupchat.

But if this happens the same rule that Tony described should be applied: Number 2 or whatever takes over and informes the other players about it. However I think it couldn't harm to explicitly designate the chain of leaders in the briefing; just in case any other player than number 2 or whatever gets the command bar after leader's death (it can happen).

Zwobot, regarding your mission- I think it was great action (I also believe Tony thinks the same). I also think that it could do without the trigger that ends the mission after the team suffer 50% casualties.

About the chain of command topic- Tony's idea sounds the most reasonable. So this is what we will do:

1. I would just ask everyone to let the team know on teamspeak and on the text channel that they have got the command panel.

2. If you have got the command panel, but do not wish to lead, report that you have taken command and pass it to someone else.

3. If no one assumes command this will mean that the command panel was not passed to anyone so SOMEONE should declare that he has taken command without it.

Good luck on the field!

I am still a bit unhappy with the role of the pilots in the mission, they are not involved after the insertion and it can take quite some time until all AA threats are eliminated confused_o.gif

I thought about that too. I don't want my mission to take the place of "La Resistance", did anyone count how often we played this mission in the Ofp nights biggrin_o.gif

I thought about that too. I don't want my mission to take the place of "La Resistance", did anyone count how often we played this mission in the Ofp nights  biggrin_o.gif

Yes, according to Flahpoint servers statistics, since 2006-03-29 it was played 30 times, for 88 hours, 56 minutes and 26 seconds. I hate it now even more...

About your mission zwobot- you could start a thread on our website like post does with his missions, we advise there.

I think its just insane, but thats why we are here! smile_o.gif

I like it, because the AI is acting smart and you need good teamplay to get through!

Anyways we will finish it next time biggrin_o.gif !

Good Games today, although i died a lot crazy_o.gif. Next time i will fly the Chopper again, i think i was really good in that whistle.gif

Greets + cu

Tony

There was some good action yesterday. Especially that combined forces mission (of which i dont remeber the name) and the Blacksword HALO mission. Good games lads thumbs-up.gif Some pics from that event:

bvpskacejw6.th.jpg

BMP acrobatics

bvpskace2oj5.th.jpg

More BMP acrobatics

leteckadn3.th.jpg

Aerial combat

konvojrw1.th.jpg

Tough convoy

Ye I really enjoyed last night games. Might be the last this year for me..  xmas_o.gif

Oh and the CAS thing didnt work because of my own stupidity:

CIAlaptop.jpg

I forgot to apply the confirm CAS command...

really nice scripts in this missions tho.

Nice pics Valhalian and rundll! Sorry to hear that that might be your last game rundll...

imageshack wont log in for me right now, but I will upload some pics later on.

Thanks for the games eveyone!

Sorry for cutting short. Looks like you had fun, I know I had. smile_o.gif

"Black Sword" always seemed too difficult to cope with without feeling frustrated. to my surprise, we managed to get pretty far in it in the last CiA coop night. I guess there is something in our style that simply works wink_o.gif

We will give it a try next time too!

Is it necessary to have Queen's Gambit to participate? I don't have it yet, and as I prefer a boxed copy, it might be a bit difficult to get it by Tuesday.

Haven't played ofp online in a long time, and just got arma working, so if I'll have to buy for the download to play with you guys this tuesday, I will.

Is the PW updated? I joined in on a few games in the summer of 2005, so that's quite a while ago...

i don't think you need QG, I play just fine without it.

The ArmA server PW is different than the OFP one, PM variable for it.

I found 2 photos from Tuesday (either this week or the previous one=)

Fat Tony (?) crawling away from a satcheled shilka

ftc4mo5.th.jpg

A little accident

crashfl9.th.jpg

eisa01: You dont need QG to join, but there are a few missions on Porto. Including the one from which the 1st pic is, cant remember the name anymore whistle.gif