Sign in to follow this  
Evil_Clown

How do i import models from blender?

Like the title says, is there?

And can i import p3d files into blender? would be helpful to import a soldier for scale.

Just export/import in .obj.

First though, in blender I would suggest turning normals on and check they are facing the correct direction(bottom left corner of the editing pannel and ctrl+n to recalulate outside,ctrl +shift + N for inside), then on import to O2, via import/ press F5 to recalculate them again.  If the model is mirred the wrong way, just tick the invert buttons on import.

And then sometimes it still acts abit funny, so check in the viewer that everything is correct, if its not, you generally just have to reverse all faces.  In another thread, from different peoples findings, it seemed to suggest it was caused if you duped anything in blender...

If you want to export meshes out of O2, you have to use the older version of it (first arma release).  Everything seems to export ok (in .obj), you just have to scale it abit because it starts really small. Ohh and don't make the same automatic reaction(dumb mistake I made) of removing doubles on it, as you will need them for when things move around during animation.

Good luck.

I have searched over the forums with regards to my recent problem and thought this maybe the best place to post rather than start a new thread

Please dont shoot me down in flames for asking a question that has been asked a dozen times already. any Blender users reading this, if you can export a .3ds file from blender and get it working in O2PE WITH textures please let me know.

I have a created a a model in Blender which uses multiple texture maps, any one who knows Blender will know you cannot export an .obj file with more than one texture map so I am resorting to exporting as a .3ds file.

I am importing (not opening) the exported .3ds file in Anim8or, checking kfdata and exporting again. On importing to Anim8or though I get error messages that it cant open the textures. I assumed this would be no biggie as I would be assigning texture paths later in O2PE and that the UV data was stored in the blend file itself so, texture files being read or not didnt seem to matter???

The textures I am using at this stage are .tga

I import the .3ds model into O2PE and correct the texture paths.

at this stage I change the textures to the .paa format

When I view in bulldozer though there are no textures, I hoped it was just a bulldozer error so I made a config and threw it into a .pbo but even ingame the model has no textures.

I carried out more or less the same process with an exported .obj file and textures show albeit only from the one allowed texture map. Unfortunately my model is of an nature that one texture map couldn't cover as I am working on a structure.

What I would like really is for anyone who is exporting .3ds files from blender and getting them to work in O2PE with textures to post any useful info that could help me get over this obstacle.

Thanks in advance smile_o.gif

better search for info about Blender -> 3ds/max export wink_o.gif As far as you get it in max it's no problem to import it in o2

thanks  bdfy,

yeah I already searched for Blender -> 3ds/max export. Theres pages after pages of info but nothing relevant to what I need.

Exporting .3ds from blender is simple as a click of a button as opposed to exporting .obj files where you have multiple options on export. Working on that knowledge I dont think its the exporting of the .3ds from blender that is the problem

It seems the problem lies somewhere between anim8or and  O2PE thats why I asked for anones repsonse who has managed to get a textured .3ds model form blender through to O2PE.

Im sure there must be blender users in this community who have run into this problem already OR are going to in the future.

my search continues..  smile_o.gif

once again - forget about Anim8or and o2. Import textured model via any format into 3ds max and yoor problems solved. O2 RC1 can read newer versions of 3ds with no old tricks like "KF data rebuild"

Blender is quite rare used for ofp/arma modelling and it's really better to search for max import threads - there must be plenty of them

OK, thanks bdfy, I didnt get from your reply that I should be by passing anim8or confused_o.gif

so,

I export my model as a .3ds file from blender.

I import the .3ds file into 3dsmax8

I export (or should I save*) as a .3ds file from 3DSMax.

I import into O2PE tried (all available versions)

Model is there, no textures - not even a path to one I can amend.

*either way it matters not, it still doesn't work

I am clearly an idiot

I`ll ask again incase anyone thought this was solved smile_o.gif

Has anyone successfully exported a model with more than one texture from blender and got it working in O2 with textures?

Yes, from 3dsmax to the Original Oxygen, then from there to O2.

The main trick I remember (so many steps and it was a while back) for the original Oxygen is to PRE-CONVERT all textures and move their location to where Oxygen expects them (in the data directory if I remember)

isnt blender capable of writing obj?

cant remember if version 2.33 could do that.

best suggestion for porting would deep exploration

it works decently

isnt blender capable of writing obj?

Yes it can, but ONLY with one UV map. I have managed to get away with it until now ( like with this ) but my current projects need more than one uv map on the model.

In the blender community the answer to my .3ds problem always ends up "just export as .obj instead". This just isnt an option i`m afraid because of the stated reason. I am creating buildings that are just going to need more than one UV map texture to be of any quality.

@bdfy - I don't actually have a clue with 3dsmax (like most other things..) so I will have to search and look up how to check if the mapping is saved in with the model.

Thanks everyone for you replies. I will try all the suggestions and see how I get on.