Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Animation suggestions thread

This should be a (sticky) thread (like those others) where all of you can post your suggestions related to ArmaII animations. It has not very much to do with the "Graphics suggestions thread" so i belive it has its "raison d'etere" (reason to exist).

As i wrote beofre in this thread, animations are some fundamental in every game and  even more in Arma2, while Arma1 has a lack of those animations .

Here is my original post from that thread:

Quote[/b] ]i want to the telling him what my brothers, cousins, and friends in neighbourhood told me (they are all ARMA and some are old OFP vetereans players!wink_o.gif - its all about those little things, those little eyecandys - its simply all about "animations"

These "eyecandys"/"love for details" or "animations" - call them what you like - are not important for gameplay but somehow, and here we have all nearly the same oppinions, they really "reach" something in us what makes us say "Wow" in our heads while playing such a game...

This is then also something our subconsciousness reminds off, when it tells us slowly: "hey play another round of that great Game, you had good feelings when watching those "eyecandys"".

You know what i mean?

I say:

Please Marek/Ondrej and your Team, think about such eyecandys , think about a "love for detail". I know some of you modellers/animators are on the right way when watching this nice ventilator in the Mi24 Hind. - More like that please!

And please dont tell us thats not possible - the community can do it, so why cant you?

Also to make it Clear:

I just want to make somethng else clear: Many of you think that "BIS created the engine, the community creates the rest(game)". But that is not my oppinion!

In my oppinion this point belongs to the BIS-Developer to bring out a COMPLETE Game to the Community and the possible new customers.

I dont want to wait for some mod/addon makers to complete and improve my Game like it should be, when the developer team can do this as well (and mybe better). If they can't do it, well why not asking some guys from the community? I bet some would gladly help you out with animations/modelling.

So here is the list of suggested animations by the community for ArmaII to let it become another eyecatcher with a "love for detail", a game worth to look forward to a "round" of it, when beeing at work/school/anywhere:

Notice: We will try to keep this thread as clean and as clear as possible. For that reason i would suggest we using a "numbering system" for every single suggestion.

That means for example, when im posting 10 suggestions, the next one will start with suggestion number 11 and so on.

Please always keep that in mind when posting here!

Later on i will copy all numbered suggestions and paste them here at this opening post, to have a large and clean list for the BIS developers - we want to reach something, you remeber? wink_o.gif

1. When destructing buildings by larger weapons (i.e. Bombs) they could "randomly" collapse and brake into some larger pices(currently bridges do this in Arma1 aswell) with much more smaller debris flying around.

2. When you fire a guided rocket on any air-targets, they should start to deploy "flares" to try to avoid a hit. A better version would include some random script with a hit-probabylity

for different guided anti-air rockets.

You can see this working even in OFP by a mod - watch here

3. Im not a fan of something ressource-consumpting(dont know how much) like ragdoll, but i think there should be some more various hit and dead-animations, simulating the real "punch" of a projectile-hit. My Grandfather was in WW2 and hit by a mauser carbine in chest - survived, but he told me at impact, he flew a meter back and got a blackout for some seconds.

4. The Receiver-parts(don't know if its the real word in english)or known as "slides and/or bolts" of Weapons should also be animated (in VBS2 Pistols do this AFAIK). I mean games from 8 Years ago have this simple animation implemented, and even some community guys realised it in Arma ( i remeber a Desert-Eagle). This also means, when the magazin is shot empty, the slide should rest in the back position.

5. Impact of Projectiles in Building should do a "real" Hole in it, but realistic. Means for example "Sabot" should do only a few centimeters width hole, while HEAT ammo should make large holes (just like in the video from digitex - but with way more little debris flying around)

6. When a building is hitted by specific ammounts and types of ammunition(i.e: many HEAT impacts by either tank or RPG), it should start to burn and later only a burnt ruin should remain. Of course this whole thing just randomized, means sometimes a few Rounds are enough to totally collapse it.

7. When someone eject from a Plane, a real eject-seat should be spawned to eject you high in the air. This is possible - watch here in OFP (modded)

8.Planes should release a "exhaust-cloud" after their engines just like in real-life. This is also in the above linked video to see.  You can also see HERE at 04:12 how awesome that could look.

9. As mentioned in the other topic, tanks should eject used carterages.

10. Cars need more realistic handling, I thought Flatout 2 did this great. Cars need to burn rubber when stopping or turning quickly, and there should be sounds specific to what you hit, like metal, wood, brick, bushes, ect. If possible, cars should also break apart realisticly when shot multiple times, including realistic bullet holes in the windows. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE CARS BLOW UP WHEN JUST SHOT; THEY SHOULD JUST BE DISABLED

11. Special effects, like a temporery high-pitched tone when there is a nearby explosion. Something that I think would be cool is if time would slow down slightly when being shot at or actually hit. This wouldn't work in multiplayer though.

12. Animated and usable afterburners for Jets (maybe pressing two-times "q" to enable/disable it)

13. Blast and Backblast when Tanks/Rpg' firing, combined with a nice muzzle-flash and backside flash. (see madmatts Arma-effects for some impressions what can be done)

14. Realistic and various muzzle-flashes for Rifles/Machineguns/Pistols. (come on the ones in Arma of are just some ugly and always the same bitmaps on every shot)

15.REALISTIC Tracers like in VBS2, which illuminate the enviroment at night when they pass over..

16. When Vehicles release people or when getting-in a vehicle - the doors should open like in VBS2.

Anyway they should be openable always by actionmenu, so for example to drive with a bike inside a large Helicopter through its backdoor (chinook for example).

17. When getting as gunner/comander in a tank the animation should be realistic, means the Soldier first "jumps" onto the "flat" front of the tank and then onto the turret opening a hatch and be in.

Same for any other "get-in animations" (get into a car or else)

18. Rain should not be visible inside buildings.

19. Working Mirrors! Some Mirroreffects when sun hits glass, so you can see yourself in the Glass.

20. Explosions should be enhanced. by making the sound more sharp as if you are there instead of watching it on youtube and by adding bigger explosions aswell as longer lasting smoke and more realsitic smoke effects.

21. Smoke from bullet impact should puff out a large puff of smoke that last for longer then a second and it should aswell as desperse into the area so when you are taking heavy fire the place will look more caotic and it will also give you a feeling that you are holding a gun and not a toy.

22. Why not putting-in some nice but just slightly "heat distortions" when watching over the hot areas (engines) of a Vehicle. I mean we talking about a DX10 game for 2008/2009 - even Games for DX7 or DX8 had this animation already (for example Farcry) without consumpting much ressources.

Here is a picture what i mean (of course this effect also for the engines at planes)

23. I know BIS own this nice and modern Motion Capturing  studio and like you can see here "Motion capturing possibilitys by BIS" BIS can do alot of better soldier animations (specific at 0:50 in first video). So why not implement alot of them in ARMA2? These better animations could be one of the points of making the Game less "stiff" and more "barrier free".

And while we on it, why not add some nice animations if AI soldiers have nothing to do, like smoking a cigarette , checking/cleaning weapons or just doing a piss - Crysis do this very good IMHO.

24. Reload of Magazines from Rifles/Pistols.

There could be easy implemented the follwing options:

- Pressing the reload-button once means a "normal relaod" with a animation like:

The soldier really grabbing the magazin and placing it near himself (should look like he storing it in his west) and then take another magazin from himself, putting it into the gun and then pulling-back the "breech-mechanism" (at AK located at the right side; at pistols simply the complete upper-part; Stoner-type rifles like M16 its located behind and below the sight; etc.).

The Magazin could then be reused later with its remaining bullets (if they were any left).

- Pressing the reload-button twice shoul initiate a "fast reload", which means the magazin will be dropped out of the gun to the floor and could not be reused anymore until you retake it from the floor. Then a other Magazin from your west will be taken, placed into the gun and used.

Of course also proper and realistic animated!

- Reloading while walking aswell please!

Plese look at this Video from a other game to see of which "reloading-freedom" i'm talking about:Different reloading types

25. Stopping of animations at every time. Means something different like the current "stiff" way in Arma. This is another important point of making this game/engine less "stiff" and more "barrier free".

Edit: can also be "animation blending" what is already confirmed by the developers for gestures.

26. Let the player Decide when to pull-in and out the gear of choppers (not automatically like for example in the Kamov from Arma1)

27. Realistic animation for Anti-Tank weapons. Im talking especially about the AT-4 issue - something unrealistic (reloadable and smoketail from projectile) like this please never again!

28. Buildings in Citys could have enlighted rooms at night (should be switchable to "off") so this would bring a nice atmosphere.

29. All Buildings should be somehow "enterable" or should have at least "real" windows. That means to use new buildings with higher/more detailed textures, not the old recycled ones from OFP/VBS1 which you used in Arma1 aswell.

I always questioning myself why BIS put both enterable and non-enterable buildings into Arma1 and OFP?? In this next generation Game all buildings must be enterable.

Here is a screenshot of a Game2 Building from 2005 - this building looks very good and well texturized, i hope you'll replace the old buildings with as detailed as this one.

30. Reflecting water. The current Water in Arma1 is not very impressive, why not take a look HERE at 00:10 - a modded OFP. If a modding team can do this so good for such an old game, you can probably do it better or similar i think.

31. When you really flatten a tire from a vehicle, that vehicle should "sink" a bit down on the suspension of that tire. You can see this working

32. The smoke from Anti-Air Rockets, no matter if fired from ground or air, should be not like currently in Arma1 (currently they consists of many small, slightly transparent and round smoke-clouds), no please this time they should be realistic, means a thick, continuously white smoke-tail, so you can better indicate how a rocket flys.

33. I just thought it may be an animation problem. In Crysis when you go into iron-sights view, it is quick, smooth and instant. In ArmA there is a sluggish feel. ArmA seems to have a lot of this "stiff" feel you talk about and it does detract from the game, perhaps imperceptibly but there nonetheless.

34.Animation and possibility to fire shoulder-fired anti-tank weapons(RPGs) and shoulder-fired Anti-air weapons from lying, as well as from standing. Away with that odd Arma/OFP limitation to fire a RPG only from crouching position.

35.Proper animations when reloading a Anti-tank or Anti-air shoulder-fired weapon. This means grabbing of the new projectile/warhead and put it in the barrel either from behind or from frontside.

The same for all grenade launchers like M203 and else.

36.Be able to "run" and other possibility's like quicker turning around, when having a shoulder-fired rocket launcher selected.

37.Usable and proper animated smokescreen from tanks. Either by deploying it from the tanks engines in the back, or in the form of those explosive smoke-grenades, which get thrown out from the tank in the air for a few meters and then explode to deploy their smoke.

38: Better leaning animations. ArmA leanning is very "soft" and almost does not change much. You can lean in a corner and nothing really changes because you have half body exposed to the enemy. Sometimes doesn't make much difference. The intension is there and good but it need to be reworked alittle.

39: Animation with binoculars.. The animations  need to be more direct for the players.

Example: You are in prone position with binoculars, and you want to get up with them to get a better view.. it takes a while or executes alot of animations to see trough binoculars again.

ArmA anim does this: binocular->stand up->binocular->remove binocular->rigle->remove rifle->binocular.

Would it be possible?: binocular->stand up->binocular

Would be nice if tank crew could use Binoculars when they are in "turn out". Its very usefull/needed and not possible yet.

40: When vehicles with weels are destroyed and burnt, its really odd when the tires are like brand new. They should be melted and with a destroyed apperance.

41: Remember the finger anim on the trigger?.. (what an old memory and debate at that time..), would be nice to have an animation when we press the "V" key (to aim), ie, a closer anim to the snope or the iron sights. I have the feeling that in ArmA1 we miss an animation for that porpose. When player is in 1st person view you can see the body get closer to the rifle/weapon But if you notice or look to other player you can not see that animimation.´

42: I ask cause im not sure how good this could be for gameplay: Would be nice to have an animation when the player wants to see the Compass by using one hand?

43: I miss the old Cartridges on the ground that we had in OFP. Would be nice to have them back again or better. It's kinda odd they disapear instantaneously.

44: I never understood why the GL on the tanks never worked.. they are there but never usable, Would it be possible to work in ArmA 2?

45: We already know that in ArmA2 we will be able to reload while walking. We saw that in a video.

Now my point is: Does this mean that we can also move while we are healing?

Im sure it already happened to you, once at least, and you end up beeing killed. Its frustrating and we are impotent in that moment. When you start to heal and right after that you saw a enemy... In this moment you can not move to hide while you are healing. Some times you are killed because the animation takes long to end.

The idea and question is: will we be able to exit the animation? will we be able to move in that specific time, to save our asses? Or will we have to deal with it till the rest of our days?

46: Will it be possible to have terrain deformation with ArmA2 Engine? (if not, why?)

Ie, when a bomb or a heavy shell hit the ground can the impact create a crate in the terrain? Even with the possibility to use it as cover.

47: When we fire and empty the MG mounted on the Hummer we can still see the bullets in box and weapon. Would be nice to have this animation fixed.

48: Would be great to see pilot Legs animation also the Pedals and rodder Animation when pilots use them. I show what i mean example with pics..

49: Hope BIS don't forget to improve the animation of the rotor blades (shovels) while in movement. You can see the "crappy" effect while in the air on  PC Games preview video.avi (49mb)

50: I still think we should be able to walk slowly with binoculars on. There should be an animation for this purpose. Its very useful. This subject was already discussed for ArmA1 and there was no satisfied conclusion nor resolution for this "problem / lack".

If you can lean with binoculars on, why not walk with them some meters for better visual?  huh.gif

51: Some days ago i was surfing the net and found a video where in a M1A1 or M1A2 gunner/commander position they had their rifles and riflesGL handy and ready to use in CQB.

It was already said by Devs. that players will not be able to move in vehicles, but they will possibly be able to fire from them.. (fair enough)

I suggest BIS include that tank gunners & commanders be able to use their rifles for short contacts if needed. Though maybe not allow AIs to do so, for the following reason. Something similar when AIs change to pistol and never turn back to weapon again thumbs-up.gif (else it gets fixed)

52:

Very small thing im sure you guys will think, but when will a animation be added to the drivers hands when he is steering a vehicle biggrin_o.gif It looks silly to see a steering wheel spinning while the hands are static.

This is a good suggestion...

53: don't expect worst then this: (AI moving for cover video)

54. Being Able to interupt animations by presing movement keys. I hate being stuck in the open whilst i reload, or get shot during a movement then dying after the animation, loks really tacky.

55. Simulate recoil on all appropriate static weapons.

56. Make machine gunners and snipers hold their

weapons correctly. No more machine gunners with their left

hand jammed up the ejection slot (ouch! crazy_o.gif), or snipers

holding their rifles by the trigger guard.

57. Better simulate the use of a bipod for the player.

Weapons resting on bipods, in my experience (mostly MGs in

the light role), sit rock steady - the experience of using such

a weapon in ArmA presently is totally unrealistic.

58. Make the pistol recoil animations much more

realistic. Here I mean the way it behaves in your hands

when fired, not the slide animation.

59. Fluid stance like Raven shield would be nice.... Theres such a large difference between standing and prone, taking proper cover can get to be annoying. Its probably too late for that though.

60. Animation when FALLING from high! Aaaa... biggrin_o.gif

61. Sky diving before opening parachute and a steerable parachute of course.

62. ANIMATED weapons god d@mn. And a reloading animation like in FPS games, I mean... Soldier put out magazine, changes and put in a new one. In arma, soldiers are magicians and make magazine dissapear!

63. I saw it's already made on one film but Im not sure so I will say - Mobile reloading.

64. Maybe some animations like in FFN mod? I mean Dodge.

65 when you are already in an animation and you get shot (die) , your avatar first finishes the animation, then collapses to the ground. ! fiX! try halting the animation . then executing the death one

66 when you get shot and you arent dead yet, how about the blood (this aint a animation, sorry) seeps out first, instead of just appearing on the dude's arm.

67. the ability to more easily implement custom animations by modders.

I agree with all of those, although a few I neve would have thought of.

9. As mentioned in the other topic, tanks should eject used carterages.

10. Cars need more realistic handling, I thought Flatout 2 did this great. Cars need to burn rubber when stopping or turning quickly, and there should be sounds specific to what you hit, like metal, wood, brick, bushes, ect. If possible, cars should also break apart realisticly when shot multiple times, including realistic bullet holes in the windows. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE CARS BLOW UP WHEN JUST SHOT; THEY SHOULD JUST BE DISABLED

11. Special effects, like a temporery high-pitched tone when there is a nearby explosion. Something that I think would be cool is if time would slow down slightly when being shot at or actually hit. This wouldn't work in multiplayer though.

To point 9 here are 2 video to see it (25mm and 30mm(

BMP3

and

Another suggestions:

12. Animated and usable afterburners for Jets (maybe pressing two-times "q" to enable/disable it)

13. Blast and Backblast when Tanks/Rpg' firing, combined with a nice muzzle-flash and backside flash. (see madmatts Arma-effects for some impressions what can be done)

14. Realistic and various muzzle-flashes for Rifles/Machineguns/Pistols. (come on the ones in Arma of are just some ugly and always the same bitmaps on every shot)

15.REALISTIC Tracers like in VBS2, which illuminate the enviroment at night when they pass over..

16. When Vehicles release people or when getting-in a vehicle - the doors should open like in VBS2.

Anyway they should be openable always by actionmenu, so for example to drive with a bike inside a large Helicopter through its backdoor (chinook for example).

17. When getting as gunner/comander in a tank the animation should be realistic, means the Soldier first "jumps" onto the "flat" front of the tank and then onto the turret opening a hatch and be in.

Same for any other "get-in animations" (get into a car or else)

18. Rain should not be visible inside buildings.

19. Working Mirrors! Some Mirroreffects when sun hits glass, so you can see yourself in the Glass.

20. Explosions should be enhanced. by making the sound more sharp as if you are there instead of watching it on youtube and by adding bigger explosions aswell as longer lasting smoke and more realsitic smoke effects.

21. Smoke from bullet impact should puff out a large puff of smoke that last for longer then a second and it should aswell as desperse into the area so when you are taking heavy fire the place will look more caotic and it will also give you a feeling that you are holding a gun and not a toy.

22. More cool features need to be in the game. The kind of features needed is more features that let us interact with the envirment like digging holes and also having a feature that will loosen up the game like Leaning on walls and doors of  Hummvs.

23. Having more of a perfessional feel. In the game Americas army you feel special when you play that. You feel as if you are an elite force. But in arma i feel as if we are a bunch of slacking off force. To implement this feel i think it needs a new atmesphere. As arma is lacking a good one.

24. The squad needs to be able to handle diffrent envirements and not just one. I know in arma 2 they can do both far and close combat but i am talking about upgrading the close combat one. For example when they enter the room they should enter it by throwing a flash and putting their guns to singal fire and approach the room like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhDMZ9N2wT0

25. They should add urban areas and make them not so darn basic! I mean look at COD4 iraq maps! It does not re-use the same model specialy not so close to were the first one was placed.

26. And the game should include huge citys and not just a small one with miles and miles of empty land. If you are going to keep the empty land add more features to nature to make it look more then just repeated trees and the tress should be placed randomly around the selected area.

27. Have more of a stiff training method like americas army.

28. Technology in the military is more advance then in the game. I am not saying add a lot of Addons but to enhance some of the stuff you already have. Like the Abrams, for example you can add their communication device and also add their feature to talk, chat and use the internet( i think the tank has access to internet). And this should be implemented by making an actual screen in the abrams were they sit to do this. And by scripting it to auto lock on a target and do the caculation all by itself( wind, speed, size, amunition it is carriering). If this is implemented this will add a hole new atmesphere to the game and make the game seem as if they are not just toy figures with guns.

29.Changing how units look in the game. make them look more buff even if the model is skin tight. And when you do this it should be done too make them look big and tough.

30. In todays market you will gain a better profit of adding an iraq or any other middleastern map as the days of the fighting in nature was replaced when america saw modern combat in Iraq.

31. can you just add some features from VBS2 and save your self money and time!!!! You can do all of what i said if you select what VBS2 stuff you want to take and just make it compatible with arma 2 and i am not saying take all your work form VBS2 as in know why you dont but you need to gain more costemers and by doing a little swaping you can easily feed the need of arma players and other gamers.

i think lot of smaller 'actions' needs animation too ...

e.g. NightVision deployment (this would add some nice moment when watching mission intros or when inside copter You see how others use hand to deploy and enable nv)

like someone mentioned animated/openable doors on vehicles

but then imagine if you got also way to choose where You exit vehicle (e.g. you got incoming fire from right and you sit at right seat so you want exit vehicle on lef etc)

like someone mentioned animated/openable doors on vehicles

but then imagine if you got also way to choose where You exit vehicle (e.g. you got incoming fire from right and you sit at right seat so you want exit vehicle on lef etc)

That's so logical and important from the practical point of view, that I think something like that must be implemented.

I disagree as it is not as important and is going to sacrifice better features. What bis should do is hire these modders that we see in arma and make them work for free and bring all these features in arma. It may not be that organize but it will be a better quality game.

madman i think in VBS2 u can choose what doors to exit already so it's not that 'unrealistic' to hope for ...

plus i never said anything about priority ...

@ Operation Madmann:

I dont think that most of your suggetions have something to do with animations in special, exept of your number 20 and 21.

Although most of your suggestions are indeed not bad, please post them in the correct threads.

Therefor i will ignore most of them (exept of 20 and 21) and will continue with 22.

22. Why not putting-in some nice but just slightly "heat distortions" when watching over the hot areas (engines) of a Vehicle. I mean we talking about a DX10 game for 2008/2009 - even Games for DX7 or DX8 had this animation already (for example Farcry) without consumpting much ressources.

Here is a picture what i mean (of course this effect also for the engines at planes)

23. I know BIS own this nice and modern Motion Capturing studio and like you can see here "Motion capturing possibilitys by BIS" BIS can do alot of better soldier animations (specific at 0:50 in first video). So why not implement alot of them in ARMA2? These better animations could be one of the points of making the Game less "stiff" and more "barrier free".

And while we on it, why not add some nice animations if AI soldiers have nothing to do, like smoking a cigarette , checking/cleaning weapons or just doing a piss - Crysis do this very good IMHO.

24. Reload of Magazines from Rifles/Pistols.

There could be easy implemented the follwing options:

- Pressing the reload-button once means a "normal relaod" with a animation like:

The soldier really grabbing the magazin and placing it near himself (should look like he storing it in his west) and then take another magazin from himself, putting it into the gun and then pulling-back the "breech-mechanism" (at AK located at the right side; at pistols simply the complete upper-part; Stoner-type rifles like M16 its located behind and below the sight; etc.).

The Magazin could then be reused later with its remaining bullets (if they were any left).

- Pressing the reload-button twice shoul initiate a "fast reload", which means the magazin will be dropped out of the gun to the floor and could not be reused anymore until you retake it from the floor. Then a other Magazin from your west will be taken, placed into the gun and used.

Of course also proper and realistic animated!

- Reloading while walking aswell please!

Plese look at this Video from a other game to see of which "reloading-freedom" i'm talking about:Different reloading types

25. Stopping of animations at every time. Means something different like the current "stiff" way in Arma. This is another important point of making this game/engine less "stiff" and more "barrier free".

Edit: can also be "animation blending" what is already confirmed by the developers for gestures.

26. Let the player Decide when to pull-in and out the gear of choppers (not automatically like for example in the Kamov from Arma1)

27. Realistic animation for Anti-Tank weapons. Im talking especially about the AT-4 issue - something unrealistic (reloadable and smoketail from projectile) like this please never again!

28. Buildings in Citys could have enlighted rooms at night (should be switchable to "off") so this would bring a nice atmosphere.

29. All Buildings should be somehow "enterable" or should have at least "real" windows. That means to use new buildings with higher/more detailed textures, not the old recycled ones from OFP/VBS1 which you used in Arma1 aswell.

I always questioning myself why BIS put both enterable and non-enterable buildings into Arma1 and OFP?? In this next generation Game all buildings must be enterable.

Here is a screenshot of a Game2 Building from 2005 - this building looks very good and well texturized, i hope you'll replace the old buildings with as detailed as this one.

30. Reflecting water. The current Water in Arma1 is not very impressive, why not take a look HERE at 00:10 - a modded OFP. If a modding team can do this so good for such an old game, you can probably do it better or similar i think.

31. When you really flatten a tire from a vehicle, that vehicle should "sink" a bit down on the suspension of that tire. You can see this working

32. The smoke from Anti-Air Rockets, no matter if fired from ground or air, should be not like currently in Arma1 (currently they consists of many small, slightly transparent and round smoke-clouds), no please this time they should be realistic, means a thick, continuously white smoke-tail, so you can better indicate how a rocket flys.

33. I just thought it may be an animation problem. In Crysis when you go into iron-sights view, it is quick, smooth and instant. In ArmA there is a sluggish feel. ArmA seems to have a lot of this "stiff" feel you talk about and it does detract from the game, perhaps imperceptibly but there nonetheless.

I just thought it may be an animation problem. In Crysis when you go into iron-sights view, it is quick, smooth and instant. In ArmA there is a sluggish feel. ArmA seems to have a lot of this "stiff" feel you talk about and it does detract from the game, perhaps imperceptibly but there nonetheless.

Yes thats right Sabre_UK, so best is you edit your thread and put the number 33. in front of it.

34.Animation and possibility to fire shoulder-fired anti-tank weapons(RPGs) and shoulder-fired Anti-air weapons from lying, as well as from standing. Away with that odd Arma/OFP limitation to fire a RPG only from crouching position.

35.Proper animations when reloading a Anti-tank or Anti-air shoulder-fired weapon. This means grabbing of the new projectile/warhead and put it in the barrel either from behind or from frontside.

The same for all grenade launchers like M203 and else.

36.Be able to "run" and other possibility's like quicker turning around, when having a shoulder-fired rocket launcher selected.

37.Usable and proper animated smokescreen from tanks. Either by deploying it from the tanks engines in the back, or in the form of those explosive smoke-grenades, which get thrown out from the tank in the air for a few meters and then explode to deploy their smoke.

Yes that has gotten me killed becuase the dang guy is to busy turning in one spot for like a minute.

If only any of devs ever would check anymore this part of forum. Animation is one of the hardest things to do in games business. Motion captured animation will always fall to restriction of amount. All time rendered and calculated 6-dimensional character freedom anims in year 2008 should not be impossible to do in PC with quad core.

I strongly agree with point #23 (and #33). It is one of the most important thing for me.

If they're afraid about costs of "actors" or "advisors" I am pretty sure many people of the community here can do these jobs for a very cheap price: plane/train ticket (I'm even sure there are people in the same country able to do the job perfectly) to the studio, meals, a place to sleep, a free copy of the game, a picture with the devs that's it!

Too bad BI doesn't put to good use its community. sad_o.gif

Current games animations are like:

* initiate changing weapon procedure... OK

* procedure in progress...OK

* weapon change procedure complete... OK

There's no feeling. You feel like you're a robot in a car factory not a soldier in a battlefield!

Especially when you need to use your backup weapon in ArmA it takes ages!

It's like the guy is taking his bagpack off, and looking for his Beretta inside the bagpack while underfire!

In real life it's much quicker. You drop the rifle (I don't mean you throw the rifle on the ground, there's a sling for reasons) and draw the pistol.

For me just one thing

BETTER PROXY HANDLING. proxy handling in ArmA engine is almost the same as OFP...

and to analyze it a bit more, by improving proxy handling of the engine it will be possible

1)weapon user custom animations (weapons are proxies)

2)cargo action will be better, (example when you use an mg on a vehicle the movement of proxy will be according to the movement of the mg, but not all the proxy, just the appropriate bones of character's skeleton) (animation)

3)finally, possibility for more movements when you're in cargo, like using your weapon as cargo on a jeep, or move inside a vehicle.

all these can be achieved by better proxy handling, and this is the thing that they need to redesign.

"...animations are some fundamental in every game and even more in Arma2, while Arma1 has a lack of those animations."

I agree. ArmA1 disappoints just because of poor graphics engine and too slow aminations, while this is the most important thing in FPP games (weapon look, shoot effect and impact animation). I think the best animations ever has SWAT4 and Call of Duty 4, and I wish ArmA2 animations just a bit as good as in these games.

good topic and some valid points, but nr. 4 needs some qualification:

Quote[/b] ]4. The Receiver-parts(don't know if its the real word in english)or known as "slides and/or bolts" of Weapons should also be animated (in VBS2 Pistols do this AFAIK). I mean games from 8 Years ago have this simple animation implemented, and even some community guys realised it in Arma ( i remeber a Desert-Eagle). This also means, when the magazin is shot empty, the slide should rest in the back position.

not all rl-weapons have a so called bolt-catch. the ak-series of weapons has no such bolt-catch, so the bolt carrier after a shot moves always forward and locks the chamber. that is why you have to manually charge the weapon again after inserting a fresh mag. as you are probably aware, in the case of the m4/16 and g36 you only slap the bolt release, and while going back forward and locking the chamber the movement of the bolt-carrier will also load a fresh round in the chamber.

btw, RHS AKs for ArmA or the Robert Hammer AKs for example have an animated bolt-carrier.

I'd like to see an animation used when:

- a player views their map (and maybe even dialogs) - to indicate they are occupied and viewing something in their hands,

(rather than being in a still combat pose staring into the distance).

- a player views their map (and maybe even dialogs) - to indicate they are occupied and viewing something in their hands,

Good ideas. I think having animations for everything, from taking out the compass (it should take a small time) and pressing buttons on the GPS is ideal, but far-fetched confused_o.gif

Standard for tank`s should bee animated canon,abillety to launch smoke, flir, towing, dig in, applying camo and a target computer. And fore air abillety to launch flares ejecting.

Good ideas. I think having animations for everything, from taking out the compass (it should take a small time) and pressing buttons on the GPS is ideal, but far-fetched confused_o.gif

If you watched your watch in Boiling Point he would actually bring his arm up and you had to watch the watch on your arm, this may be hard to implement but small details like this bring immersion IMO. smile_o.gif