Sign in to follow this  
sneekn

TrackIR Pros & Cons???

Likes? dis-likes?

Please let me know if you think its a must have...

Thanks in advance,

sneekn

It's a must-have. All pros, no cons.

*edit* OK, to expand wink_o.gif

Immersion.

Situational awareness.

Coolness.

Ease of use (just lean in to zoom).

Fine control (lean slightly, a lot, or just a bit, whatever).

Offset your FoV (have your ironsight up watching one street, but turn your head slightly so you can also keep an eye on another street).

It have one big disadvantage - you get used to it so fast that even in other games you try to look around by turning your head with eyes still fixed on screen smile_o.gif

What about keeping your sight on target? If you move your head just a bit, the view will start moving too, right?

It have one big disadvantage - you get used to it so fast that even in other games you try to look around by turning your head with eyes still fixed on screen smile_o.gif

little offtopic, but i dont know that you were working on BIS, congrats smile_o.gif

What about keeping your sight on target? If you move your head just a bit, the view will start moving too, right?

You can configure it however you want. You can set acceleration curves, deadzones, smoothing, etc.

I've been using a TrackIR4 in ArmA for over a year now, and I can't imagine playing it without it. It is most beneficial for vehicles - aircraft in particular - but even the infantry gameplay can be significantly improved by the situational awareness it gives you.

I've also had quite a few people purchase TrackIR4's on my recommendation, with the discount promo I have with NaturalPoint (the one in my sig), and I've yet to hear any complaints with it. Everyone who tries it seems to really enjoy what it adds to the experience.

I'm completely confident in recommending TrackIR's to people because of that fact, and the fact that I've been using it in ArmA specifically for as long as I have. I love it - it's easily the best peripheral I've ever bought.

It is a very nice piece of hardware indeed, but because of the price I'd only recommend it to more dedicated sim gamers who play flight sims etc. too.

Its a nice piece of equipment and works as advertised. However I have a problem using it. I get very disoriented playing with it. I also have a hard time aiming as I fight between centering shots with the mouse movement and head movement. I know there are workarounds and it requires practice, but I have shelved it for now because I don't have the time to dedicate to getting used to it. Maybe I'm getting too old, but I just never able to get as proficient at killing as I was w/ just the mouse. Also, I got so used to using the number pad for looking around, I found myself still using the # pad even when I had track ir on...LOL.

thanks for the input guys!

see honey it's not just another piece of crap for my computer that I will use for a week then shelf

Pros:

I wish I had purchased mine alot sooner.

Tweaking it lil by lil, will eventually give you the exact feeling you want.

It only takes a few hours to get the hang of it.

Flight is the best usage of all.

It's Vista 64bit compatible.

Cons:

Pisses me off, to launch my game before TrackIR.

Pros:

Situational awareness is improved.

Terrific for other sims (driving, flight, trains?)

Product support

Cons:

Price

Interference with sunlight

Games that don't support it make you wish it did

Embarrassing when chicks ask "what's that thing on your hat?"

Bottom line:

If I broke it, I would buy another.

the price isnt that much. i mean most of us ARE hard core sim/"computer go faster, weeee!" geeks..right...? spending money on upgrades all the time anyways right? this is the only product for my computer i have bought that i have never upgraded since i started building em. cant say that about CPU's GPU's, ram, hard drives etc etc.. dollar per dollar vs "replacing to the latest.n.greatest"" the best investment i have made for gaming.

only time i ever got a sore neck was from using it maybe the first week. with 3 pro and vector, or version 4, you dont have to have your head perfectly still anymore. the old single dot tracking was what many USED to complain about for months. that has been fixed with 3 vector points now.

yes, when aiming, if you move your head, the view will move, but the ironsights will stay relative to where you are AIMING. just like real life. as long as what you want to target is ON SCREEN, you can move your head and still track coherently. even if your veiwpoint is off center.

cons....? NONE. friends/wife wanna laugh.? fuck EM! who cares. besides wear it enough, they will see it as normal.

you MUST try the FRESNEL LENS route after getting TRACK-IR! smile_o.gif *head movement plus depth perception*

edit::: sunlight can interfere with it, but there are settings to help degrade that considerably. unless you have to have the monitor facing a window in the summer sky while playing..then it probably wont help. if filters out light pretty good. but darker is best.

see honey it's not just another piece of crap for my computer that I will use for a week then shelf

HAHA

I don't blame you for laughing all the way to the bank, NaturalPoint_Vincent. Good luck with your patents.

Fortunately Freetrack, being free, open source software, doesn't require any financial justification from a significant other, nor any financial commitment for that matter and is fully capable with the majority of usb webcams available. You're not tied down to any one piece of expensive hardware, a generic webcam is cheap and easy to get. Not to mention the Freetrack software has features currently unavailable to TrackIR users and with more to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetrack

HAHA

I don't blame you for laughing all the way to the bank, NaturalPoint_Vincent. Good luck with your patents.

Fortunately Freetrack, being free, open source software, doesn't require any financial justification from a significant other, nor any financial commitment for that matter and is fully capable with the majority of usb webcams available. You're not tied down to any one piece of expensive hardware, a generic webcam is cheap and easy to get. Not to mention the Freetrack software has features currently unavailable to TrackIR users and with more to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetrack

Gorsh, you sound almost insulted that a company might sell such an item for profit biggrin_o.gif

Not that I wish to start an argument, or even care. But you did rather personalise it unnecessarily at someone who made a perfectly friendly post in a thread he has an interest in.

Vincent is a professional, he won't come in here and cry at you. I can though wink_o.gif

but do they offer UBERGEEK hats and shirts and swag,and gear with a tongue in cheek logo that only "those in the know" know?

its the NIKE of ...of....headtracking geekdom!

i own a HOODIE!!! pistols.gifpistols.gifpistols.gif

THAT'S how i ride!rofl.gif

found it to be a fantastic device... but I got the Track Clip Pro with mine... Well worth it. Excellant at keeping track.

pros:

- immersion

- improved situational awareness

cons:

- price

- needs time and patience to set up correctly