Sign in to follow this  
iceman77

0.9 patch fixes?

Here's some things that need to be in the 0.9 patch..(not that any of them will probly be in it)but here goes ..BIS needs to fix the motorcycle bug where they injure and/or kill you when you ride them.If they got fixed it would almost be like adding a new transport..Another thing is that we need a T-80 to match the M1A1 Abrams...and/or adding a M1A2 and T-90 would be nice.What about the Apache?huh.gif(not imported from OFP...the textures are hideous.)Also A Hind (even though the Hind addon that is out is good except for the guages not working)......What about a bradley???...Or how about some Mortors??..A Scud launcher would be nice....player made addons are great , but everyones not on the same playing field and alot of addons arent being used and when they do get used it's just in big events or a small crowd of friends...THE PUBLIC SHOULD ABLE TO GO INTO A SERVER AND HAVE THESE VEHICLES PRESENT WITHOUT DOWNLOADING ADDONS(SOME HALF ASS , THAT DON'T WORK PROPELY OR CAUSE MALFUNCTIONS)....I know BIS has already have had to make all these models listed here....mabey their waiting for ArmaII or something i guess...

How about just a method to see what addon's are required by the server/map before joining? I think that would be the best way for all this to be resolved. If they could add the ability to see addons in use on the server along with a link to obtain them it would help quite a bit.

Actually its going to be .09 and I dont think there going to release the addons you requested. And the motorcycle will be fixed. You can see the list of bug fixes HERE

Expect this to be locked

Addons are the problem of poorly made missions and that's what we need to get rid of. All missions should use complete mods or NO addons. OFP(ArmA) gave people a freedom that other games do not have: the ability to drop any object/weapon into the game without having to use a complete mod, however most mission-makers have abused this and throw addons wily-nily into their missions.

--Ben.

Agree totally that a method of synchronising addons and mods is needed, plus there need to be a standard common-set of stable signed addons for all servers so that missions can be designed to run these standard community addons and simplify hosting.

Until the current crop of addons become more than beta or alpha or work-in-progress though this may remain a pipe-dream. Any such synchroniser would also I think need to be distributed either with ArmA itself in a future patch, or be a requirement to join the servers in the first place.

The main issue I see here is the addon versions and signing of those addons to ensure that ALL servers use the same version of stable and signed addons.

Community addons backed by BI in content update patches to Arma would be good that way bi can filter the content and we all get synchronized consistent addons, with signed key files.

This slowly increases the resource pool that map/mission builders can dip into when creating there missions/maps projects, and they would encounter less incompatibilities as they build.

Nice easy synchronized controlled consistent addons for all with support.

The plants , trees and rocks would be good for the editor so that you haven't got to use an editor update addon.That all clients need to play maps which have been made with that addon whistle.gif

Personally....., nevermind the 8800 fog, 7008000e crashes, retarded AI, bridges that can't be crossed by the same, same map on all servers and no players.....

Some flickering, who cares.....

Get some pro anti cheat protection such as Punkbusterand I am happy already....

Punk buster wouldn't help all that much. If you look around you will see that is defeated almost as quick as the securerom protections. It's worthless and causes more headache than it is worth.

How about just a method to see what addon's are required by the server/map before joining? I think that would be the best way for all this to be resolved. If they could add the ability to see addons in use on the server along with a link to obtain them it would help quite a bit.

check Yoma's Arma Addon Synchroniser

I hope more and more servers will start to use it in a near future.

Personally....., nevermind the 8800 fog, 7008000e crashes, retarded AI, bridges that can't be crossed by the same, same map on all servers and no players.....

Some flickering, who cares.....

Get some pro anti cheat protection such as Punkbusterand I am happy already....

Check for signed addons on server.

Apart from that: as long as there are lowlife people that get selfesteem from cheating/wrecking others pleasures every single game out there will have to deal with cheaters.

Look at a game like you look at life: I can see cheaters all around me. Some don't pay their taxes, some don't pay their fines, some cheat on their wives, mostly everyone cheats him/herself a couple of times every day. Find blokes that don't cheat and play with them, just like you do in real life.

Community addons backed by BI in content update patches to Arma would be good that way bi can filter the content and we all get synchronized consistent addons, with signed key files.

This slowly increases the resource pool that map/mission builders can dip into when creating there missions/maps projects, and they would encounter less incompatibilities as they build.

Nice easy synchronized controlled consistent addons for all with support.

Sure, and bis would just have to hire about 100 people to manage it?

They don't have the cash. I'm affraid we'll have to "fix" it ourselves or at least try instead of crying.

Alltough i agree that it would be great, but if I have to choose between BIS working on the engine instead of content I know what i choose.

Rgr that Yoma, and I meant no disrespect to your synchroniser. I was thinking more along the lines of a community effort such as yours, but extended to allow server to be synchronised with a 'standard addon' set too.

So you have a server synchroniser, and a client synchroniser - that ensures at least a common core of addons can be used in maps.

I still think this should be 'standalone' really, due to the locking etc. issues.

If all servers are synchronised addon-wise then possibility for P2P-type or torrent download from multiple servers maybe possible too?

Your addon synchroniser could lead in that direction if you have the time/patience?

Also I was meaning that the synchroniser could get distributed, with your approval of course, with a future patch, allowing much wider use and acceptance of the addons.

This would really help get ArmA more popular once the new crop of mods and addons start appearing.

Yoma noone needs BIS to develop 'complex' solution ...

all You need is simple downloader capable to handle url, ftp

and ability to engine load addon from 'downloaded' directory

e.g. imagine server got 'setting' which tell client there are 3 addons files needed to download

engine starts 'wget' with needed urls and waits till files are downloaded

(wget supports all needed cmdline arguments and it's opensource)

engine loads addons then downloads mission and starts it

done, problem solved, important game feature implemented

ofc details like CRC32(doubt there is need for MD5, CRC is way faster) checksum to avoid duplicated downloads would be neat bonus

Dwarden your talking about what the Unreal engine already has, the allowance for the server to use a redirect that way an already stressed game server doesn't haft to become a file server as well. although I'd have better peace of mind if this was implemented by BI.

Quote[/b] ]Sure, and bis would just have to hire about 100 people to manage it?

They don't have the cash. (No they wouldn't)

I'm affraid we'll have to "fix" it ourselves or at least try instead of crying. (lol)

Alltough i agree that it would be great, but if I have to choose between BIS working on the engine instead of content I know what i choose. (Couple of meetings at most to hand pick the best, after asking modders if they would like to put there stuff forward for selection)

Yoma noone needs BIS to develop 'complex' solution ...

all You need is simple downloader capable to handle url, ftp

and ability to engine load addon from 'downloaded' directory

e.g. imagine server got 'setting' which tell client there are 3 addons files needed to download

engine starts 'wget' with needed urls and waits till files are downloaded

(wget supports all needed cmdline arguments and it's opensource)

engine loads addons then downloads mission and starts it

done, problem solved, important game feature implemented

ofc details like CRC32(doubt there is need for MD5, CRC is way faster) checksum to avoid duplicated downloads would be neat bonus

I thought of something like that some time ago too.

Something along the lines of "Damn if i can do this, why can't BIS"...

Sure it would be very nice to have stuff like that. But the difference between doing it for fun and doing in a way production worthy is a LOT OF DEV/TEST TIME.

I'm quite sure they are stretched enough they way they are now. But of course it would be nice to see something like that in some future.