Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf v.1.0

I have to say i think ya should release a version that does'nt require Q.G. I think a lot of people are;nt bothering with QG and this island is WAY TO COOL, to not be used by anyone who wants it. Other than that its a really great island, in fact the best ive seen in arma.

Opterdude,

I'm lovin the map. Good fun. I appreciate the attention to detail. Do you plan to flesh it out even further in the future?

to you non-QG-havin-haters:

QG costs like 20bucks. Get it or use the old version. Quit buggin the poor guy to double his workload.

Oh no worries, I'm finding the bickering about QG rather humorous. smile_o.gif

However I'm more concerned about dedicated server compatibility, anyone discover anything interesting?

Theres an anti QG 'fix' posted on our german comment section.

Its just 2 dummy files (desert2 & dbe1.pbo) that contain other objects as replacement.

Quote[/b] ]However I'm more concerned about dedicated server compatibility, anyone discover anything interesting?

just a thought ,but is it possible to join a dedi server running sakakah v1.0 and you have open beta version ?

i saw this before with same named addons ,especially islands crashing server ,cause of version conflicts. also matte rochelles error on other page ,seems to suggest ,either your png - paa didnt work again or it was reporting from the old open beta version .

Quote[/b] ]However I'm more concerned about dedicated server compatibility, anyone discover anything interesting?

just a thought ,but is it possible to join a dedi server running sakakah v1.0 and you have open beta version ?

i saw this before with same named addons ,especially islands crashing server ,cause of version conflicts. also matte rochelles error on other page ,seems to suggest ,either your png - paa didnt work again or it was reporting from the old open beta version .

Yes I was thinking that too, maybe someone was using the old beta, or not using QG?

i love your island smile_o.gif

but i miss some things on the airfield , some like this that i work in the missions editor

saka.jpg

saka1.jpg

taxiways for planes and parking spots

a few pics of my map :

entrance of the FOB

arma2007111300363642xs2.jpg

the FOB :

arma2007111322015179le1.jpg

the helipad and the weaponry :

arma2007111322025359br5.jpg

another part of the FOB :

arma2007111322023901qb1.jpg

I'm actually editing the civilian life.

WP insurgents are spread over the city (and are particulary present in few blocks... wink_o.gif ).

Hi, with my graphic settings (everything on normal, unless the models

and textures [set on high] and the shadows & postprocessing disabled) with the default weather settings this v1.0 moves great

at +34fps in my poor Pentium IV 3000, 1278mb of DDR, GF7600 GX

i wish to find some public server where they had coops in this great

looking and working map; is full of possibilities and offers a great

enviroment to practice various engagement modes. Let's C ya

when i posted my mirror i forgot my review on it "doh"

anyway 1st of all its a great imporvement compared to the open beta and -{GOL}- will continue to use this island for ops

Only thing i say is needed is an addon full of inccient middle easten civis to make the atmoshere more complete (we already have insurgents for it)

how i play this MAP ??

its only a empty map so what to do??

im not so good with missionbuilding

somebody can offer a cool singleplayer mission??

or what you do with this Map ??

I played tonight with a lot of units against each other with Krokzky's UPS. starting at evening until night. Oh man I love this Island!!

Some suggestions:

- Put some more objects like trash, bikes, cans and so on in it

(the city is far too clean)

- add 2 or 3 little cities to the map besides the main city

- put in some funny posters (like it was on Tonal)

- 1 or 2 Oasis were good too

- and yes a populated island would be a dream, with civilians,

walking, running around, cars driving by ups script, and some arabic ambiente music...

Keep up the fantastic work!

One question:

Did you intentionally remove the points where I can send the AI into the house position?

And why? So I can't position my snipers on good spots...:(

The only main issue I found now: soldiers walk through walls and even vehicles drive though it and so they get stuck....

Nice! I love the map, but i can play it without Queen's Gambit fine and everything and it doesn't crash yay.gifyay.gifpistols.gif

Nice! I love the map, but i can play it without Queen's Gambit fine and everything and it doesn't crash  yay.gif  yay.gif   pistols.gif

You're missing some buildings, right? rofl.gif

Had the same in OFP.

As for the map:

There are few areas that have irritatting level of regularity, like this one

beztytuuoz4.jpg

Maybe moving just a few of these buildings around could break this impression?

I know you're working on realistic Iraq terrain and it is typical for the towns there that they are build randomly and there are no regular patterns like this.

Another crit is that I expected some terrain ondulation at least 200-300m around the north and south ends of town, 1m. sand dunes you could use as a base for attack or small-scale depressions, so if someone wants to do infantry assault he can use them for cover. At least small dunes/trenches on the sides of roads. I am not sure if this is how desert looks like but trying to run towards the town I get impression a steamroller came and flattened all these bumps. MAybe that's because small structures don't show on the photos you used.

On the other hand there is this castle now on NW of town I can make a run from to the first houses, which is a great improvement in gameplay.

I wish we had more parts in the map where we have small dunes inside the city SE . They are very appellative for attack and cover missions in the open without houses.

Hope you know what part of map I'm describing.

Theres an anti QG 'fix' posted on our german comment section.

Its just 2 dummy files (desert2 & dbe1.pbo) that contain other objects as replacement.

Care to post a URL link to those replacements?   That would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

As to those making of fun of us without QB, if there is stuff wrong with the AI behaving properly, then I don't think I'd be interested in buying QB if it just screws the game up.   For that reason I really think a version of the map that doesn't require QB would be good.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

@ Nov. 17 2007,10:43)]As for the map:

There are few areas that have irritatting level of regularity, like this one

img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5789/beztytuuoz4.jpg[/img]

Maybe moving just a few of these buildings around could break this impression?

Yeah I know, but despite the fact that there's is a lot of apparent C/P of building set-ups, however it is still an immensely time consuming process. Also the fact that I have about only at best ca. 17 or so different buildings I can use leaves me sort of apathetical about the matter. Seeing the same structures over and over and over again just bores me to death. I hope in future projects custom content will inspire me to be more creative, I got just bored of the default ArmA stuff.

@ Nov. 17 2007,10:43)]Another crit is that I expected some terrain ondulation at least 200-300m around the north and south ends of town, 1m. sand dunes you could use as a base for attack or small-scale depressions, so if someone wants to do infantry assault he can use them for cover. At least small dunes/trenches on the sides of roads.

Minute ondulations in terrain is hard to do in ArmA because the terrain grid cells are (for this map specifically) 10 meters. Any higher resolution will have massive performance hits, one way of doing it could be to elevate each individual vertex a meter or two, then elevate the neighboring vertex to smooth out sharp points, however this is a highly time consuming process and does not yield a particularly aesthetical plausible appearance, also it's significantly time consuming. In any case, it is a trial an error process where one learns to develop personal techniques of preference and tries to improve oneself as best as one can.

I still see myself at the novice end of the scale hoping to enhance my knowledge and abilities, creating better results. smile_o.gif

@ Nov. 17 2007,10:43)]I am not sure if this is how desert looks like but trying to run towards the town I get impression a steamroller came and flattened all these bumps. MAybe that's because small structures don't show on the photos you used.

You're a bit unclear here, are you referring to terrain elevation or lone structures located in the outskirt areas? In either case, I did not base neither topographical nor satellite imagery on real world location. Purpose was to only keep it loosely based on the real world area as a practice project.

Minute ondulations in terrain is hard to do in ArmA because the terrain grid cells are (for this map specifically) 10 meters.

sad_o.gif. Sorry to hear, but this is right. The map allready has good appetite for ram.

Congratulations on joining IMWM and good luck.

This map looks hawt. biggrin_o.gif Ordered my Queens Gambit today, can't wait to get it and test this map out. notworthy.gif

As for making small variations in terrain. Even if it is hard to make it look very good with a 10m grid resolution it can always be helped with textures.

I do however understand it would be a very time consuming process to start customizing the ground texture after the mesh to "hide" the not too pretty edges and such that come with it.