Sign in to follow this  
Jewish-Freak

Lost Brothers IDF Units Ver 1.6 RELEASED

Good news!   We now have a fully working APC!!!!   And.... its not the Zelda.... I was able to convert our Achzarit model from OFP!!!  YAY!!!!   This is good because the Achzarit is more widely used now until the Namera APC replaces it which will probably take another decade or so for them to be fully replaced since Russian T-55 parts are cheap and readily available.  

For those who don't know what a Achzarit is, I will be posting screenshots of it soon.    Here is a pic of the real thing:

achzarit5.jpg

We also are in the final stages of fixing the last F-16I bugs so thats almost done.  

So almost there folks!!!  

The other hold up is that we have to wait for the Vilas Mod to release their 1985 project which is almost done as well.  So you guys will be getting two awesome mod updates released very soon!   We are using the Vilas mod's weapons packs (rather then just converting them) out of respect for Vilas and his team's tremendous work and help to our mod so please don't complain.  It also will give players the ability to select alternative weapons if, for example they don't like the default AK47's and AKM's used from our own weapon's pack and want to use Vilas Mod's instead.     They also have alot of weapons that we will later be using for our historic IDF units.   So in the end it will all work out well and we absolutely appreciate the help of their team and to all the other addon makers who have helped us.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

For right now, our Hezbollah units will be equipped with a huge range of equipment including a big mixture of Western and Russian made weapons. These include:

M16A2, M4 (might be switched to CAR-15), PM-63 SMG, AK-47, AK-47 folding stock, RPK-47, RPD, M249, PKM, SA-7, RPG-7, RPG-7/PSO scope, RPG-16, and the massive RPG-29 Vampire.

Vehicles for now are just the BIS UAZ/MG and a motorcycle.

In later updates we'll likely add bangalore torpedoes once we get them working.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Miles, I love the work that you are doing, but just a couple of quick points... Don't you think that AKM would be better suited then the AK-47? Also, RPG-16 is a very exotic piece of hardware; I seriously doubt that it was used anywhere in the middle east, let alone by Hezbollah... At the same time, they should definitely have some LAWs(M72) and possibly RPG-18/22/26/27

Peace,

DreDay

The RPG-16 is actually not all that exotic.  From what I understand, just about all of the more modern RPG weapons were exported to Syria (and some to Iran who produced variants of them under license or without).  

The other RPG variants mentioned will be added but only as the Vilas Mod adds them to their weapons pack.  I'm sure Vilas can make some of them super quick as he did an outstanding job on the RPG-29 within a day.   He is an addon making monster!!!!

So as he updates his weapons pack, we will update as well.  

If you look at you-tube videos of captured Hezbollah weapons you'll see some examples of the massive variety of weapons used.

As for AKM vs. AK-47, in truth both are still used in the region.  The AKM is more common (and often mislabelled as an AK-47 in pictures) but the AK-47 is still seen in action quite often.  The AKM is only different in that it is cheaper to produce, slightly lighter in weight, and has a slightly different muzzle that creates a bit less of a muzzle rise.   Other then that, they are basically the same weapons that last for decades if well maintained.

Oh...but.... the LAW-72 is in the Vilas Mod weapons pack, so yes we will eventually incorporate that into our IDF units even though it is only seldom used by a few units (most units use the superior Shipon tandem warhead rocket launcher).   However the M-72 is a good weapon because it is extremely light and small, but packs a nice punch for blasting bunkers fortified structures that need a hole blasted into them to spray the insides with high velocity chunks of concrete and metal.   This makes it ideal for airborne troops as wel as long range recon patrols (LRRP's) such as Sayeret Egoz and deep insertion units like the S-13 naval commandos.   These little LAW's also do a great job of really ruining the day of any light armor IFV or APC crew like those of a BMP-2 or BDRM-2.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]The RPG-16 is actually not all that exotic. From what I understand, just about all of the more modern RPG weapons were exported to Syria (and some to Iran who produced variants of them under license or without).

I seriously doubt that you will find any credible evidence of RPG-16 being exported to Syria; and I am pretty positive that it was not exported to Iran, let alone produced there. It is not modern (entered service in the early 70s) and it is extremely exotic - to the point that it has not been used in the Soviet Union itself since the mid 80s... It was designed specifically for Soviet Airborne troops and there has been little to no evidence of it being exported outside the Soviet Union.

Quote[/b] ]If you look at you-tube videos of captured Hezbollah weapons you'll see some examples of the massive variety of weapons used.

I know that, its just that you would not see a single RPG-16 in any of them...

Quote[/b] ]As for AKM vs. AK-47, in truth both are still used in the region. The AKM is more common (and often mislabelled as an AK-47 in pictures) but the AK-47 is still seen in action quite often. The AKM is only different in that it is cheaper to produce, slightly lighter in weight, and has a slightly different muzzle that creates a bit less of a muzzle rise. Other then that, they are basically the same weapons that last for decades if well maintained.

I totally agree, my only concern was how the weapon was represented in the game (i.e. how it is labeled and how it looks).

As for the LAW, again I am in full agreement on it's functionality and deployment and its great to know that you guys would incorporate it into your mod. My only point was that Hezbollah fighters should be armed with it as well...

Peace,

DreDay

Quote[/b] ]I seriously doubt that you will find any credible evidence of RPG-16 being exported to Syria; and I am pretty positive that it was not exported to Iran, let alone produced there. It is not modern (entered service in the early 70s) and it is extremely exotic - to the point that it has not been used in the Soviet Union itself since the mid 80s... It was designed specifically for Soviet Airborne troops and there has been little to no evidence of it being exported outside the Soviet Union.

you can find RPG-16s with Syrian and Iranian markings in many caches we discovered in the Mahmudiya\Baghdad area.

As well as many other types of ammunition and artillery rounds. And then that damn armor piercing RPG-29........

you can find RPG-16s with Syrian and Iranian markings in many caches we discovered in the Mahmudiya\Baghdad area.

As well as many other types of ammunition and artillery rounds. And then that damn armor piercing RPG-29........

I take that you are stating this from your personal experience, would you happen to have any photographic evidence or official reports to support this?  Are you sure that those were RPG-16s and not RPG-7Ds?  It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't see how RPG-16 (which were retired in the mid 80s) could have made it to Iran...

Peace,

DreDay

Miles and his team they no wich weapons 2 have on their addons and by the way hizbollah uses the akms also coz they r a newer model than the ak-47 as for the RPGs they use the b10 RPG and the RPG 27 and law launchers and RPG 29 and sager missiles also and they have lots of kinds of RPGs either they wer 16 or some any kind these plp have lots of firearms...

Miles and Jewish-Freak gave us some really nice addons and these plp no exactly on wat r they doing keep up the good work by end of the month iam gonna open a bottle of chapain and celebrate the upcomming addon yay.gifsmile_o.gif

DreDay,

Hizbullah fighters have even been seen equipped with RPG-27's so I would not be surprised if they have RPG-16's. Most likely you confuse the RPG-16 for the RPG-7D which are totally different. I should point out that an RPG-29 is much cheaper and more common to see than an RPG-27 though.

Well ultimately its not a big deal. If anything it can just be a fictional weapon. Right now we got them armed with a huge range of RPG's so a mission maker can take their pick of which they think are more authentic or not. Usually, when countries like the US and Russia discontinue a certain anti-tank weapon, they usually end up selling vast lots of the weapons to other countries so it wouldn't surprise me if Russia did the same just to make some extra cash off of old surplus RPG-16's that will never be used otherwise. Thats like old US Bazookas and 106mm recoiless rifles that went to countries all over the world after the US quit using them.

But yeah, the real big nasty our hezbollah guys have is the RPG-29. We don't have a RPG-27 yet as Vilas hasn't made one yet. But maybe later they will have one. But he is increasing the dammage levels right now so one shot will really mess up most main battle tank addons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

DreDay,

Hizbullah fighters have even been seen equipped with RPG-27's so I would not be surprised if they have RPG-16's. Most likely you confuse the RPG-16 for the RPG-7D which are totally different. I should point out that an RPG-29 is much cheaper and more common to see than an RPG-27 though.

My friend, I am afraid that you are the one that is confused...  RPG-27 is a disposable LAW that fires the same warhead as PG-29 (the munition for RPG-29).  RPG-29 is a heavy reloadable grenade launcher with advanced sighting and night vision devices... do you still want to insist on which one is cheaper?

I am quite aware of the difference between the RPG-16 and RPG-7D, are you?  Did you know that the Soviets had retired 16s as soon as hey had introduced 7Ds?  Do you know why?  

I think that a lot of people seem to assume that RPG-16 is an intended replacement for the RPG-7 - it is not.  It is an entirely different launcher that was designed specifically for Soviet Airborne forces.  It had its advantages - better ergonomics and better range/accuracy, but it had a fatal flaw - its warhead could not be increased in size unlike the PG-7.  That is why the Soviets were quick to retire it once an airborne version of RPG-7(RPG-7D) was introduced.  There has been no evidence of its export outside the USSR.

Look, this is really not a big deal and I don't want to steal this thread from the Lost Brothers team whom I respect a lot.  My only point was that for the sake of realism it would be prudent not to give Hezbollah exotic weapons that have not been spotted outside of the FSU.

Peace,

DreDay

Well ultimately its not a big deal.  If anything it can just be a fictional weapon.  Right now we got them armed with a huge range of RPG's so a mission maker can take their pick of which they think are more authentic or not.  Usually, when countries like the US and Russia discontinue a certain anti-tank weapon, they usually end up selling vast lots of the weapons to other countries so it wouldn't surprise me if Russia did the same just to make some extra cash off of old surplus RPG-16's that will never be used otherwise.  Thats like old US Bazookas and 106mm recoiless rifles that went to countries all over the world after the US quit using them.

But yeah, the real big nasty our hezbollah guys have is the RPG-29.  We don't have a RPG-27 yet as Vilas hasn't made one yet.  But maybe later they will have one.  But he is increasing the dammage levels right now so one shot will really mess up most main battle tank addons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Agreed, it's not a big deal!

Peace,

DreDay

Well i do hate to steal this thread but for the sake of accuracy......

Yes i have personally handled the RPG-16 and it just happened to be standing in a courtyard of a house we just dug up, wich just happened to be south of Baghdad. Photographs..... com on you know the army will be happy to release them once they are no longer classified. I know you can find them all over militaryphotos.net and the like, but we are not supposed to release them. Therefore i will not. What has been made public is they were SOVIET marked items in IRANIAN shrink wrappers. Whether they came from Afghanistan in a round about way who knows.... but they are out there. I have also seen reports of these items and WARNO messages thet specifically say for us to look for them in Syrian crates of onions.

miles your such a tease......................

Quote[/b] ]My friend, I am afraid that you are the one that is confused... RPG-27 is a disposable LAW that fires the same warhead as PG-29 (the munition for RPG-29). RPG-29 is a heavy reloadable grenade launcher with advanced sighting and night vision devices... do you still want to insist on which one is cheaper?

Typical cost of an RPG-29 launcher is 500$ and rockets go for about $300. While a single RPG-27 launcher goes for 500+ (excluding rockets just launcher). Both RPG-29 and RPG-27 use the same caliber but RPG-27 is a disposable launcher.

Quote[/b] ]

I am quite aware of the difference between the RPG-16 and RPG-7D, are you? Did you know that the Soviets had retired 16s as soon as hey had introduced 7Ds? Do you know why?

Current VDV use RPG-7D2. Yes I am aware I have fired both an RPG-16 and RPG-7D2.

Sorry Miles Teg had to explain some facts. Nice looking Achzarit but I've always wanted to see a Nammer for OFP.

There has been no evidence of its export outside the USSR.

Officially exported, that may be true. But they've definitely left the country through unofficial channels. From the shrink wrap to the onion crates, they are definitely making the rounds through Iraq. I can't say they were common, but it wasn't unusual when they'd turn up.

Miles,

Will there be a weapons crate included in the upcoming release? I'd love to be able to add a LoBo weapons crate to my missions.

No crates had been planned, but since we're largely using the Vilas Mod's weapons pack now, I think it had some weapons crates. I'll look at those to see if we can also maybe make our own weapon's crates for the weapons in the LoBo pack.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Current VDV use RPG-7D2. Yes I am aware I have fired both an RPG-16 and RPG-7D2.

Was that in your time as officer with the Bundeswehr?

Yeah we heard of this, but the Israeli Ministry of Defense already announced that they rejected the Stryker in favor of the Mk3 based Namera heavy APC which, while slightly more expensive, is vastly better protected. The latest version offers the same level of protection as a Mk4 tank but with a full infantry squad and swappable weapons systems.

However... with that said, Israel did buy (or maybe are leasing) a few Strykers which they have been using a test vehicles for the trophy system. However they seem to be more a "guinea pig" vehicle and I doubt they will ever be used in combat operations although you never know.

So who knows, maybe we'll make an IDF version. lol

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Negative, the Mk3 will not be in the pack as we did not secure permission to release it due to legal issues.

Hopefully later on that issue will get resolved.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>