Sign in to follow this  
Jewish-Freak

Lost Brothers IDF Units Ver 1.6 RELEASED

one other thing the turret is right on top of the "troop Area" so there is no bulkead or doors there.

well i dont have any picture sof the inside rear of the Merkava but i did find this on google

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7979721555004246736

its a Mk1 there are no benches in the Merkava. the boxes are non removeable specaily designe fireproof ammunition storage containers. The merk really is not a troop carrier. at best you can fit 2 to 3 soldiers in the back crumpled in there. the main reason for the rear hatch is crew escape in the event of a hit. The inside of the rear compartment is lined with a fireproof matting similar in apearance to wha tis found on the inside of the US Humvee.

The Galat'z is still a very popular rifle for the DMS. Although being replaced by one based on teh US M-16A3. Uncle Sugar provided so many of them so cheap its actually more expensive to keep upgrading the Galat'z i emailed an old coleague of mine and he will provide some photos of it for you. its basically an M-16a3 flatt top rifle with a israeli designed raill system, harris type bipod, and a trilux 4X optic.

The Galil is not retired. Still quite popular with tankers and troops operating in the dusty gaza and Negev regions. In some cases you will still find whole battalions equiped with them, as well as israeli manufactured variants of the RPG.

hi.

thanks for you info bu i am sorry to tell you that you are incorrect.

1.in all my 3 years of services i didn't see a galatz

2.galil is retired from all regular combat units.

3.the rpg is slowly fazing off from the idf weapons list.

4.m16a3 uses trijicon X4 sight or the aging akilea which is fazing out too.

and if some will disagree the writer of this message is an ex merkava tanker and a combat medicin the idf.

good day.

p.s

on the ch-53 i am now trying to add the fastrope option so miles will update you on the progras.

well i respect your position for sure. I will not contradict your info. As a retired defense contractor for the US all i can tell you is what i have seen personally, as well as what friends i still keep in touch with report to me. I worked mostly with Air defense units.....i aplologize if they are being "phased out" but to me that means they are currently being used.

Well regardless of the status of certain weapons we still will include later the older rifles and other weapons so as to simulate historical missions from the 80's and 90's....and then later on more historical units going back to the 60's.... but that is a long way off and we never got that far even in our OFP mod.  We were planning to but Calm Terror is taking a break from addon work for awhile (and we're not sure if he'll return).   So we're hoping to recruit new members and hoping that Calm Terror will get excited about ArmA and hop on board to learn the new scripting and features.    Until then we're just moving along slowly but surely and just trying to have fun making cool stuff.   Oh...and thanks TONS for that video.  I never knew that they didn't have armored doors seperating the cargo section although they might have added one since the Mk1.  I would assume they would have because I know the Merkava series has progressively added newer and better battlefield survival features.   That is why in the last invasion of Lebanon, even hits from highly lethal Kornet ATGM's to my knowledge didn't kill any crews in the Merkava Mk4's...but only disabled a few tanks.  

That of coarse depends on who's press you believe, but I saw a video of one being hit by a Kornet (very high speed so was definitely not a AT-3 Sagger) and it did some massive dammage to the turret blasting off a huge section of the frontal turret armor.  However the crew was able to bail out and survived with just minor injuries. In that site you posted the URL to, they have that video, but the Hezbollah version is propaganda and cuts to wounded troops being carried away. It does not show the full video which I saw from the BBC that showed the crew all bailing out and running to another tank for evac  That at the end of the day, is what the Mk4 was designed to do 2nd only to the primary mission of killing the enemy... and that is to protect the crew. The BBC video also showed smoke artillery covering the extraction of the dammaged tank by a recovery vehicle followed by close-up shots of the dammage.

Anyhoo... speaking of tanks, while I'm working on updating some weapon sounds, Jewish Freak is busy working at trying to fix problems with weapons animations and looking into fixing up a Merkava Mk3 that SFC. Itzhak has mostly converted from OFP (unless SFC.Itzhak beats him to it and gets it fully working).  I've also updated the textures on the CH-53 (just using some Photoshop features to make them look more 3-dimensional).  The major credit for the CH-53 however goes to SFC.Itzhak for doing all of the conversion work (and the IAF texture editing) as well to of coarse Fishkopff (sp? I always forget how to spell his name) for making the model and original textures and letting use his fine work.  

After I finish the sound edits I'll release an updated version of our infantry and the CH-53 beta (it still needs more LOD's and a few bug fixes but is very playable and causes little lag).

So we're rolling along and also on the side working on other ArmA projects.  The one good thing about the OFP/ArmA community is that most everyone is big on working together as a community of addon makers.  So far that spirit has been maintained and I'm pretty excited about the range of mods that we'll be seeing for ArmA and ArmA2.  

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i can say for sure i have never seen a MkIV but untill that one there was no bulkhead inside. As you can see from that there really is no room. The only major differance i can remember was the addition of the bolt on slat armor to the "clamshell" rear doors.

The merkava is one tough cookie.

Yeah usually that rear cargo space in the Merkava is reserved for carrying extra ammo and other gear. THere is also a medivac version of the Mk4 that has stretchers inside and emergency medical gear that fits I believe two wounded and one paramedic. It is used to extract wounded from extremely dangerous areas under fire. Generally the cargo area is only used for infantry during special missions where the tankers need as much infantry support as possible, where they need to insert infantry into intensely fortified positions, and when they are conducting recon missions and need some scouts to disembark to check out possible ambush zones or engineers to check for or disable IED's and AT mines. All in all, the cargo area makes the Merkava series of tanks highly versatile. The new Namera (newest APC based on the Merkava series) is now coming online to replace the aging Achzarit APC's and possibly the Puma engineer APC's.

These will provide Merkava type armor protection but with room for many more infantry. Coupled with the new Trophy system (anti-ATGM/RPG system), it will be possibly the finest APC on the planet.

Anyhoo... for now we'll probably just have something basic for the interior of the cargo section of our Merkava Mk3 and I don't know if we can do the open bulkhead. However hopefully eventually we will be able to have that so you can see into the turret section as you ride along inside. We'll probably use the cross-legged sitting animation for the troops inside (if thats possible) since there are no benches.

But... theoretically you might be able to squeeze some benches in, so if the ass on floor animations aren't possible (without custom animations) we may just have to stick in some benches for four infantrymen.

Before we even get that far however we just need to get our Mk3 to work properly as a tank.

Baby steps... but we're getting there. lol

Chris G.

i just want to give you an encouraging word about the mod. PLEASE keep at it. your add ons so far are of the highest quality.

I know this is far off but do you have any plans for a Lebanon or Golan map?

I cant wait to see some burning syrian T-72s

Eventually yes. First enemy will probably be Hezbollah or Hamas... and then from there as we gain experience using the new ArmA addon making tools, we'll start getting ambitious and working on full armies. But priority right now is on developing the IDF stuff first along with just a basic enemy of some sort. Another addon maker will soon be releasing an Iranian addon pack that will be a formidable enemy. So we'll probably work with him but as seperate mods helping each other out. If he develops a nice range of Iranian military addons, they would be an excellent opponent for fictional wars over the island of Sahrani. Plus alot of their vehicles could be used as the basis for Syrian versions with just slight retexturing.

As for a Lebanon map, right now we don't even have a map maker for ArmA so until we find one interested, we can't really work much on that. But hopefully we'll find one.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

just another small thing we need is a reskinned M113 to use with the new soldiers.

I had heard form some colleages of mine in the US Stryker program that the IDF was testing and evaluating a few. Have you seen or heard of this?

I agree.  An IDF reskin of a M113 is a priority although even better would be getting ahold of a model to add a few extra things to the model (sand bags etc...).  Right now I've just completed a reskin of a BIS pilot with modifications to the model adding a pistol leg holster and an ephod.  I'll continue to improve upon it as I get better pictures of IAF helicopter pilots.   I've also been fixing up the weapon sounds (still working on that) and doing some texture improvements on the CH-53 Yas'sur.  

As for the Stryker, yes I had heard about the evaluation testing, but the last I heard was that the IDF decided in favor of using the Namera which costs only slight more (although not as cheap for the IDF because of the US defense assistance program that gives them discounts on US made weapons).   The Stryker is an interesting vehicle, but against the latest heavy AT weaponry (Kornets, TOW-2's, RPG-29, RPG-7VR, etc...), it is an easy target.   The Namera is a much more capable APC with vastly heavier armor and still very good speed.  The armor protection over the Achzarit is also substantial (although I still think the Achzarit heavy APC looks much cooler).  lol

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]

Designated Marksman System being used is based on the M4A1 or are they using the SR-25 rifle for that now?

Still based on M4A1. the SR-25 enterd service but in very small amount. I dont think and sure it is suposed to replace the m4a1 as DMS in the infantry brigades [Golani, Nahal etc.], probably for SF and the infantry brigades recon [for example, sayeret Golani]. Galil's are only used be the reserve soldiers, not by the regulars. not sure if this relevant but IDF tankers use a short barreld M-16A1 [mekut'zar in hebrew]. about the Galat'z I don't have facts but i think IDF dosnt use him any more. maybe the border guard does [MAGAV]

edit:

pictures of the intirior of the Merkava tanks are calssified [supposed to be at least]

I suppose I'll have to thicken up the barrel on an M4 and add some cheek pads to the butt-stock on one equipped with an ACOG to make it a DMS (which normally have a heavier barrel and cheekpad). I like the older M16E3 DMS system that the IDF was using best. Why they would use a M4 for a DMS is beyond me. In pure physics...a longer barrel, heavier barrel is always better for a more accurate rifle.... but oh well....

The SR-25 is a super sweet rifle! In the past the HK PSG-1 was considered one of the more accurate semi-autos in the world, but the SR-25 achieves accuracy close to that of a good bolt action sniper rifle which is quite impressive.

Plus you can blast away in semi-auto at closer ranges. smile_o.gif

I like!.... and I'm sure the IDF like it as well but its so damn expensive. I'm surprised that the IDF don't do what the US Army and Marines are doing.... pulling out their old M-14's and M21 sniper rifles (modified M-14's) out of mothballs and converting them to DMS rifles. The US Army has had great success doing this along with increased counter-sniper training with Designated Marksman soldiers.

Designated Marksman however are vastly more important in places like Afghanistan (or in Israel's case, in the Sinai or Golan Heights area) where you have long ranges with rocky terrain hiding snipers and PKM or DShK machine gunner nests.

If you watch combat videos from Afghanistan you will notice that often the riflemen just sit back and just fetch ammo for the M2 .50 cal gunners, the 7.62x51 M240 machine gunners and DM soldiers rather then attempt to engage with their 5.56mm assault rifles because most of them know that they are not proficient enough to hit targets at long range + their M4 carbines can't reliably hit targets past 600 meters. You see this with the Candian and Danish soldiers as well in their videos on Live Leak.com

What I wonder alot about is why in the hell the IDF took away the M240 machine guns from their infantry and replaced all of them with the 5.56mm Negev MG. In my opinion that is one of the stupidest things that the IDF has ever done.

I know from experience because my old Army Reserve unit had our beautiful M60 MG's replaced with the M249 SAW's rather then with the M240.

Those of us who were M60 gunners were most definitely pissed off. The little M249 SAW did have its charm (nice at close range) but it didn't have anywhere near the long range fire power that the M60 had nor was it as reliable. Contrary to some reports on Rusian web pages, the later versions of the M60 are very reliable weapons.

Anyhoo....enough ranting... and back to work on the addons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Here's a little update for you folks.

In this update we have added the following:

New weapons:

M82A1

SR-25 SWS

SR-25-SD (silenced)

Mini-Uzi

Mini-Uzi-SD (silenced)

Negev 5.56mm MG

Glock 17 pistol

P228 pistol

P228SD pistol

_

Known bugs-  

Breacher with Uzi-SD gets some little error message when you click on him sometimes in the mission editor.  It doesn't effect the game however.

Givati Heavy AT unit has Javelin going through helmet.  This is a BIS bug not ours (It does this with BIS units hence the reason why BIS didn't include a Javelin unit and only left the weapon in there).  We are using the Javelin only as a place holder for our Spike SR ATGM that we hope to port over to ArmA from our OFP mod.  

CH-53 is very unstable when flying as a player.  Its not impossible to fly but very difficult.   Hopefully we'll eventually fix this.  However the good news is that the AI fly it beautifully.   We hope to also add door gunners to this bird as well.  

LoBoIDFYAMAM2.jpg

Negev1.jpg

LoBo_Yassur4.jpg

LoBo_Yassur5.jpg

LoBo_Yassur6.jpg

And without further adoo:

The download Link!!! (mirrors welcomed)-

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloa....1_6.rar

Armaholic Mirror

Combat-Prison.net mirror

ArmedAssault.info mirror

Thanks for the Mirrors!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Lost Brothers Mod Team Leader

Miles Teg

One Addon/Mod = One thread wink_o.gif

Great work smile_o.gif

It would be nice to see some models with unbloused boots, so that the squads would have some individuality because they look too much alike.

woe....what the heck?huh.gif How did that happen?huh.gif?huh.gif? I swore I only made one other thread...I don't know how it ended up on this thread...that is so bizarre.... My apologies...obviously I screwed up somewhere.

Um...hmm...I'd rather have this thread closed and the new left open and we can just continue the discussion on weapons and stuff on the new one if thats possible.

THanks and again my apologies, I didn't mean to do that on purpose.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

allright! you guys rock!

will we see a Merkava in the future? whistle.gif

Well guys. Thank you very much. The CH-53 is my favorite helo of all time. We, being a Marines unit, have been waiting for the UH-1Y and the CH-53. HWM is working on a variant of the Huey which is close enough. You guys have now made the CH-53.

I have to say that I wish it was in marine grey, was bug free, and was a little more detailed as far as cockpit and such... but I'm not complaining. I realize you have put in lots of work and I appreciate it. But I'd like to submit a list of humble requests/reports.

-The helo won't yaw correctly. No matter what I try, the helo will roll as it yaws like the game use to before the patch. Possibly a config error?

-The rear of the helo is completely open when looking back from the pilot's seat, even though the ramp is open or closed from 3rd person view.

-The PIC (Pilot in Command) on a CH-53 is in the right seat. (At least from every resource I could find)

-I couldn't find anything definitive on the armament, but maybe add an MG or two. (Windows, doors, or ramp)

Once again, I'm not complaining, just informing. If I am wrong on any of these items, let me know. It wouldn't be the first time.

Once again, great work thus far.

jdhaines-  Fear not, one of our members is working on starting a Marine mod.   Most of the original textures should still be in our addon as it was made from FischKopp's OFP model (with his permission).  If any are missing, they can be easily found in the original addon in OFP and will map perfectly onto the ArmA model.  All that is needed is texture path renaming and some config work so that it doesn't conflict with ours.  

Like you, the CH-53 is probably my favorite helicopter after the Mi-24 Hind that is.  smile_o.gif    The CH-53 reminds me of the hind in that it just looks supremely lethal.  It also has a MUCH more aggressive rotor/engine sound then the Mi-24.   When you see these big Ch-53 Super Sea Stallions flying towards you, they just look so damn ominous, plus they fly extremely fast.  I always get chills watching them thunder across the sky.  I hope you enjoy the engine sound.  I worked very hard to replicate the actual sound of the real thing and it was a real pain in the ass to get that huge bass heavy sound with just a slight mix of jet engine whine to it.   Anyone who converts ours back to the original USMC CH-53 configuration is more then welcome to use my engine sound as well.  However you might want to contact FischKopp just in case he already has plans for his own ArmA conversion for all of his CH-53 variants that he made.  

I just hope that whoever makes an ArmA CH-53 uses either my engine sounds or something better, because its just not the same using a wimpy sounding rotor/engine sound.  

I would do the conversion myself, but right now I'm swamped with working on the LoBo mod (as well as working full time and working on my graduate thesis paper over the Christmas holidays).    However on our own CH-53 I will try to add in at least one (if not two) door gunners.   Also, we will look into the flight characteristics in the config to make it more stable as I also would really like to fly it in multiplayer games.  

Thanks for also spotting the LOD bug when the pilot turns around and the fact that he's in the co-pilot's seat (ooops...hey we're not pilots ok. lol).   The CH-53 is still beta so work will continue on improving it.   We just wanted to get something out there for you guys to play with.   We'll probably also be doing some BIS UH-60 reskins as well for an additional transport helicopter.  

But at the moment priority is for armor (Merkava Mk3 and an APC of some sort....either reskin of the M113 or the partially converted Achzarit that we have right now.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>