Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

There is no spoon neo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Mar. 05 2002,17:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Naaah.<span id='postcolor'>

you sir, are unworthy!

Yes no. I think the world is a bowl of cereal and we need instructions to make it. However I'd like to add that they formed even it possess much dish grain. shkslk

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Mar. 05 2002,17:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes no. I think the world is a bowl of cereal and we need instructions to make it. However I'd like to add that they formed even it possess much dish grain. shkslk<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif someone isn't worthy tounge.gif

In 1859 Gustav Kirchhoff proved a theorem about blackbody radiation. A blackbody is an object that absorbs all the energy that falls upon it and, because it reflects no light, it would appear black to an observer. A blackbody is also a perfect emitter and Kirchhoff proved that the energy emitted E depends only on the temperature T and the frequency v of the emitted energy, i.e.

E = J(T,v). He challenged physicists to find the function J.

In 1879 Josef Stefan proposed, on experimental grounds, that the total energy emitted by a hot body was proportional to the fourth power of the temperature. In the generality stated by Stefan this is false. The same conclusion was reached in 1884 by Ludwig Boltzmann for blackbody radiation, this time from theoretical considerations using thermodynamics and Maxwell's electromagnetic theory. The result, now known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law, does not fully answer Kirchhoff challenge since it does not answer the question for specific wavelengths.

In 1896 Wilhelm Wien proposed a solution to the Kirchhoff challenge. However although his solution matches experimental observations closely for small values of the wavelength, it was shown to break down in the far infrared by Rubens and Kurlbaum.

Kirchhoff, who had been at Heidelberg, moved to Berlin. Boltzmann was offered his chair in Heidelberg but turned it down. The chair was then offered to Hertz who also declined the offer, so it was offered again, this time to Planck and he accepted.

Rubens visited Planck in October 1900 and explained his results to him. Within a few hours of Rubens leaving Planck's house Planck had guessed the correct formula for Kirchhoff's J function. This guess fitted experimental evidence at all wavelengths very well but Planck was not satisfied with this and tried to give a theoretical derivation of the formula. To do this he made the unprecedented step of assuming that the total energy is made up of indistinguishable energy elements - quanta of energy. He wrote

Experience will prove whether this hypothesis is realised in nature Planck himself gave credit to Boltzmann for his statistical method but Planck 's approach was fundamentally different. However theory had now deviated from experiment and was based on a hypothesis with no experimental basis. Planck won the 1918 Nobel Prize for Physics for this work.

Christ, you guys are enough to make me think I'm sane....

And thats saying something! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you calling me insane mad.gif ? I should throw a can of spam at you!<span id='postcolor'>

Go right ahead. I'll just deploy my SpamGuard and all of your spam hurling efforts will be fruitless! tounge.gif

Well damn. I think we should all just eat bowls of cereal in peace. After all, we're not already forwards.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think we should all just eat bowls of cereal in peace. <span id='postcolor'>

Excellent idea! For breakfast tommorow morning I shall have a bowl of cereal pieces!

What are you talking about? Why would you eat the bowl when you can eat the cereal? Oh well like I always say "You can't make a bowl of cereal without cereal and a bowl".

Merry Christmas.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why would you eat the bowl when you can eat the cereal? <span id='postcolor'>

I didn't say I'd eat the bowl, I said I wanted a bowl of cereal pieces. I eat the cereal pieces not the bowl!

Oh now I see your point. I see also that it's probably not Christmas.

What's so special about Easter except this Jesus guy? I don't think that is very great.

Happy New Year!