Sign in to follow this  
kegetys

Lowplants v1.1

Or in case you only have 1GB of ram try to add a second GB which should help your HD workload quite a bit.

I did that a while ago, it helps quite a bit.

Lowering texture detail should also reduce the work that your hard drive has to do, since it can load smaller textures.

True, also even if you got a pretty good system ArmA mostly just runs good on mid settings.

Most games run very good on my old ( kinda ) 7800GTX especially since i added the secong GB ram but ArmA even with lowplants needs mid settings to be smooth and playable.

Still sometimes have a bit lag from scoping trough grass but not as much as before.

i'm really stoked about this mod; but when i try to install it i get an error when the batch file executes:

extracting addons/plants.pbo...Failed

The system cannot find the path specified.

A subdirectory or file addons already exists

Creating temp...Failed

i've tried installing it to a temp dir (so the dir structure is clean) and get the same error

i'm really stoked about this mod; but when i try to install it i get an error when the batch file executes:

extracting addons/plants.pbo...Failed

The system cannot find the path specified.

A subdirectory or file addons already exists

Creating temp...Failed

i've tried installing it to a temp dir (so the dir structure is clean) and get the same error

This won't work. You have to install it to your ArmA dir.

The installer needs to know where your original plants.pbo is located so that this one could be repacked to a "new" one in the "lowplants" modfolder.

MfG Medicus

This won't work. You have to install it to your ArmA dir.

The installer needs to know where your original plants.pbo is located so that this one could be repacked to a "new" one in the "lowplants" modfolder.

MfG Medicus

got it (thought i had to put it into a ...arma/lowplants folder)

thanks for the help!

Is it possible to have a signature file?

Not really since the new plants.pbo is generated by the installer so the exact contents propably vary a bit depending on which order the files end up in the PBO etc.

We signed and allowed on our server and sig works well with all the different files of the squad members. So I assume order of the files do not effect the signature check. As long as plants.pbo is untouched and original that is.

thx kegetys for this masterpiece

i also think this should be included in 1.09

i can play quite well on my old machine now (AMD 3200 @ 2Ghz, Gforce 6800 AGP 128MB, 1G RAM)

@hundeswehr

i had that too, i fixed it by increasing the agp aperture size in the bios. before i set 256mb, never had problems with that in any game, now i set it to 512mb, and i dont have that heavy working of my hd any more, just a bit. i also set the virtual memory cache to fixed 2048mb. i hope that can help u

Not really since the new plants.pbo is generated by the installer so the exact contents propably vary a bit depending on which order the files end up in the PBO etc.

We signed and allowed on our server and sig works well with all the different files of the squad members. So I assume order of the files do not effect the signature check. As long as plants.pbo is untouched and original that is.

mmmh smile_o.gif

So I repeat my plea to Mr Kegetys for having a public, kegetys-sourced signature for this masterpiece smile_o.gif

Jep, i ofcourse second that too!

I cannot connect to some good cheatfree servers currently because i want to use this addon.

I dont want to decide between "good FPS - not cheatfree on servers" and "cheatfree serveracces but bad FPS"

Regards, Christian

Actually we use the global server config on our server so all user's who connect have there grass disabled no matter what the map we run. icon11.gif

Actually we use the global server config on our server so all user's who connect have there grass disabled no matter what the map we run. icon11.gif

mixing this up with low grass? (which does not change FPS) icon_rolleyes.gif

this is low(spec=highFPS)plants.

QuietMan

mixing this up with low grass? (which does not change FPS) icon_rolleyes.gif

this is low(spec=highFPS)plants.

QuietMan

Nope, this changes the way the vegetation is rendered to use lower detail shaders, but also thins the grass out which helps with fps. but we have grass auto disabled on our server so even if we had a key on don't think the impact would be the same, but I would still like the mod to boast a key file with it.

hi ive been using lowplants since its release and its fantastic,i had a low end comp  whistle.gif and it boosted my fps by about 40%  yay.gif  BUT i get this error message everytime i join a server No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/default'. could someone investigate this error, i have only 4 signed addons running at the moment including DBE1 and ive testing each addon individually for the error message and im sad too say its lowplants addons,

hi ive been using lowplants since its release and its fantastic,i had a low end comp whistle.gif and it boosted my fps by about 40% yay.gif BUT i get this error message everytime i join a server No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/default'. could someone investigate this error, i have only 4 signed addons running at the moment including DBE1 and ive testing each addon individually for the error message and im sad too say its lowplants addons,

Got the same error message here.

Regards, Christian

hi ive been using lowplants since its release and its fantastic,i had a low end comp  whistle.gif and it boosted my fps by about 40%  yay.gif  BUT i get this error message everytime i join a server No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/default'. could someone investigate this error, i have only 4 signed addons running at the moment including DBE1 and ive testing each addon individually for the error message and im sad too say its lowplants addons,

Got the same error message here.

Regards, Christian

Same but i only get it on Sakakah with lowplants enabled? :S

Thanks for creating the lowpoly addon - it's a must have to the game if someone wants to actually play and not just take pretty pictures. smile_o.gif

any word on whether you would be able to sign this for us Kegetys? :S

any word on whether you would be able to sign this for us Kegetys? :S

I'm sure I remember this being brought up before. And I don't want to start a seperate thread.

lowplants has dramatically improved vegetation framerates, but urban built-up areas still have problems. Could something similar be down with buildings? not neccessarly the same technique, since buildings are not shaders.

--------------------

Also I read that the 1.09 patch is going to do something with the grass in the North, how will that affect lowplants?

Also I read that the 1.09 patch is going to do something with the grass in the North, how will that affect lowplants?

If you prefer the 1.09 grass then you could just remove the grass pbo that this addon puts in the lowplants addon folder. Or you could keep it if you prefer it.

I'm sure I remember this being brought up before. And I don't want to start a seperate thread.

lowplants has dramatically improved vegetation framerates, but urban built-up areas still have problems. Could something similar be down with buildings? not neccessarly the same technique, since buildings are not shaders.

--------------------

- a 'shader' is a 'piece' of 'code' that is written in an HLSL (mostly) and compiled into byte-code for the GPU to crunch.

every single pixel rendered on the screen in front of you when playing ArmA will be using a 'shader' it's integral to the directx rendering pipeline.

a building will most definetly will be using a 'shader'. even poly's that do not specifically have an associated 'material' will be render using a basic shader... all the shader code is either in-built to the .exe or in the 2 .shdc files in the bin.pbo.

fyi, most (if not all) of the buildings will have rvmat's built into them.

So it would be a question of 'suck-it-and-see' if one could get some benefit from altering the shaders that are currently being used to render buildings...

If you prefer the 1.09 grass then you could just remove the grass pbo that this addon puts in the lowplants addon folder. Or you could keep it if you prefer it.

so the two aren't mutually compatible, then.