Sign in to follow this  
IsthatyouJohnWayne

Kolgujev hit by meteorite!( or nuked!)

There is a large strip of light brown(dead?) earth leading to a large crater near the middle of the island (which i have based missions around before i noticed what it might be

ok this is only a theory ,but id be interested to hear others,

maybe the Ruskies tested a nuke there?

this is very old news, im sure lots of other people noticed it to0,

but i just wanted to know what it might be , is it there on the real island? (all the islands are based on real ones)

which BIS member did the island scenery?

does anyone care?

shall i shut the hell up?

ANSWER

THATS WHERE GUBA GOT SECRET KNOWLEDGE OF THE ARTEFACTS HIDDEN UNDER THE MALDEN ISLANDS-THUS HIS OTHERWISE INEXPLICABLE CAMPAIGN TO SEIZE THEM

THERE IS A SECRET NETWORK OF UNDERGROUND TUNNELS-FIND THEM !!

THERE IS A PORTAL NW OF ONE OF THE ISLANDS

I looks more to be a represntation of a lava flow from a vent. The vent being the crater, the flow being the odd colored land and burned trees around it. That is a volcanic island you know.

ok...now that you leaked Soviet's secret nuclear testing site, you'd be sought after and 'handled' by Spetz Natz....may the Lord have mercy on you tounge.gif

i checked it out, and seems like volcanic lava flow would be the best answer

It doesn't seem to appear on Tenefife Island, which Kolgujev is based on.

Look at Kolgujev's map on OFP's CD, there is a distinct geographical path in the coordinates you listed - CH69 to DH55.

Looking at this satellite image of Tenerife, however, does show some large rough ridge in the same area as the above coordinates.

OK, who's gonna make an exploding volcano addon?  wow.gif

I dunno about lava, it doesnt look lavaery (if thats even a word?) enough. But, I dont have any other ideas so I guess I cant talk.

I thought it looked like an old napalm attack but the length of it is too long. I got that idea because Kolgujev already looks like its seen its fair share of war.

I HEREBY NAME THE CRATER "BRENT'S CRATER"

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Doh!!

i was going to grab the glory for myself!

yes on reflection a volcanic vent would seem the most likely explaination,especially given the protrusion into the sea and given the lack of grass on much of the island perhaps it happened quite recently

(this would also be an explaination for the burned houses and lack of civilians+ provide an appropriate excuse for military takeover)

i really have thought about this too much biggrin.gif

(BTW theavonlady is it mentioned in your FAQ that the maps are on the CD, because i could REALLY have used that information about a month ago and didnt know about it(whats new tounge.gif ) and im willing to bet most people dont)

its really cool ,i might have to go and design a new mission now

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ Feb. 25 2002,15:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(BTW theavonlady is it mentioned in your FAQ that the maps are on the CD, because i could REALLY have used that information about a month ago and didnt know about it(whats new tounge.gif ) and im willing to bet most people dont)<span id='postcolor'>

All you had to do was search The FAQ for "maps" and click on the 2nd matching FAQ item.

That item's been there since The FAQ came out back in July, I believe.

Time for another "doh!". biggrin.gif

Thanx for satelite pix Avonlady,

though my neck is now hurting since i tried to look at it side ways, tilting my head. biggrin.gif

I searched the FAQ for "sex" and it didnt find anything wink.gif

It is a patch of radiation damage, caused by the same UFO's that terrorised Malden earlier this month. (Reported inn the Malden Express)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ Feb. 25 2002,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...volcanic vent...

...its really cool ,i might have to go and design a new mission now...<span id='postcolor'>

Called "Journey to the Center of the Earth" ? wink.gifbiggrin.gif