Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Vista Troubleshooting Thread: The one and only

What happens if you turn (TdrLevelOff=0)? Detection disabled.

What happens if you turn (TdrLevelOff=0)? Detection disabled.

Well, delaying or turning off TDR in either case isn't really "fixing" anything, it's simply changing the way windows responds when conditions meet the requirements to trigger a TDR event, i.e. anytime your framerates dip below 6.25 fps, even if only for a fraction of a second.

By disabling it altogether I ended up with more CTD's as I think it disables the recovery process, so when the driver hangs, Windows just says "So you really dont want TDR? Ok then, back to the desktop you go."

Whereas extending the delay not only increases the TDR response time but actually allows a larger window of opportunity for the drivers to recover. At least this is how it appears to be behaving.

P.S. I've also added that -zprime command switch recently and the game appears more fluid while using the 169.44 drivers (More stable than later betas for me), much like the "fluidity increase" btwn 169.44 and the 174.74 / 85 drivers.

alright..

im at the end of my tether..

i just got arma and i´m at the edge of tossing it out of the window.

tried updating it.

files corrupt or the updates changed nothing...

also getting a error which ive tried to look up but no entry so far:

display adapter does not support format d24s8 for x8r8g8d8.

specs.

vista 64 ultimate (piece of shiite..)

16 gig ram

2* quad core 6600 2.4 ghz

2x ati radeon hd3870 with latest drivers.

alright..

im at the end of my tether..

i just got arma and i´m at the edge of tossing it out of the window.

tried updating it.

files corrupt or the updates changed nothing...

also getting a error which ive tried to look up but no entry so far:

display adapter does not support format d24s8 for x8r8g8d8.

specs.

vista 64 ultimate (piece of shiite..)

16 gig ram

2* quad core 6600 2.4 ghz

2x ati radeon hd3870 with latest drivers.

Try to run with only 1 Video card? I've heard of ATI's having issues with SLI mode / crossfire.

Mabey try adding  -maxmem=512 to the target path?

Try just using 4 Gb of Ram?

Stop trying to play ArmA on a system built more for controlling flight patterns for all the Orbiting Satelites than for gaming?  (j/k)

Sounds like quite a system, have you checked for Mobo INF updates? I've read alot of them weren't initially released with the best support for SLI and updating (where available) has helped adress a good number of CPU - I/O functions.

Dual processor board running quad core? Where did you get the Mobo from, M.I.T.?

I can barely begin to imagine the pain of putting that much money into a system only to find that for the most part, the hardware involved was rushed to market before the drivers were ready to suppoort it properly.  banghead.gif

Have you found any games that run on that rig? And if so, do they actually take advantage of all the features you've built in?

i mainly use it for work (3d apps/rendering and so on, and it works fluent)

and not for gaming.

any other games just works fine, eg ut3 crysis etc...

heck even old doom3 runs smooth!

maxmem didnt help

i mainly use it for work (3d apps/rendering and so on)

and not for gaming.

any other games just works fine, eg ut3 crysis etc...

maxmem didnt help

The display adapter does nto support yadayada is listed in the Biki,,,

"Display adapter does not support format D24S8 for X8R8G8B8"

Go to your display properties, open the troubleshooting tab, and set the Hardware acceleration to "Full".

I just searched for "Display adapter does not support format D24S8" in google, got a bunch of hits, on alot of sites. Sometimes being too specific in Google is a bad thing   thumbs-up.gif

Relative Biki Troubleshooting page

Google search I found it on Top of the list.

Damn I'm good.  

wink_o.gif

***Edit*** Then theres this point here to consider,,,

Quote[/b] ] From the Biki

ATI Crossfire Mode

The Armed Assault demo v1.03 may not run with ATI cards in Crossfire mode. If attempting to run the multiplayer in crossfire mode, the program may start up but hang before loading any graphics but the mouse pointer. If this happens, Esc can be used to end the program. Upon exiting, windows claims that the error was caused by memory not being able to be written. The Armed Assault report file will allude to a driver problem. Turning off Crossfire will allow you to load the demo and play normally. - Plaintiff1

hm.. must have made a typo in my search.

thanks ill try that.

Nah, no typo. I just didnt add the " for x8r8g8d8" part of the error to the search.

Theres also still the Crossfire issue, but check for updates on the Mobo's chipset INF files, in cases like this considering all thats going on with CPU I/O there has to be room for improvment in handling. If not yet, then check on a monthly basis. (Usualy come out within 6 months of a boards release)

ok uhm odd thing is that in the display properties>advanced properties>troubleshooting the change properties button is grey out for whatever reason  crazy_o.gif

edit:

ive checked and installed a newer driver for my ati.

the menu looks similar to the one shown in the biki, however i still cannot change the hardware acceleration in the troubleshooting tab.

it says that its being blocked by the graphic-cards driver (wtf)?

i tried looking it up in the Catalyst Control Center but cannot find an entry for that..

any clues?

Not really ATI familiar myself, but I recall there being some support in Rivatuner for ATI cards. It basicly allows for alot of low level registry edits that can otherwise be disabled by drivers.

Google Rivatuner, check on the forum at http://www.guru3d.com

in the Rivatuner section for ATI related info.

Could also not be an option perhaps due to the SLI/ Crossfire setup? Might need to disable one of the cards in the control panel fist? Not really sure. But check out Rivatuner.

Neph rather then using Rivatuner use Ati Tray Tools

It allows for more tweaking and the latest beta's are made with the 3870

I don't use Vista yet so not sure if there is some other problem, but my 3870x2 is running ArmA fine and I think you could at least try it with ATT.

Thanks ill give it a spin.

edi..

allright... thats it..

arma just went out of the window...literaly

time to sent a mailbomb to microsoft...

vista just sucks major arse! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

P.S. I've also added that -zprime command switch recently and the game appears more fluid...

What does the -zprime switch do exactly?

What does the -zprime switch do exactly?
Quote[/b] ]5182 - Experimental: Depth only pass used to reduce pixel shader load on some GPUs.

Use command line -zprime or cheatcode Shift+Minus ZPRIME to activate it.

I'd have a hard time describing the difference in the image quality as it's pretty subtle, but I've noticed some objects have more pronounced seam lines where brush faces meet

i.e the Concrete ammo supply shack in the s.w. central area of Sara. seems like one of those cardboard tab a fits to slot b type models for cheap railroads or dioramas huh.gif But that could just be me & not a big deal. Best bet would be to try and see how it works for you (There seems to be such variety in responses as a rule, much like Coffee, everyone has their favorite brew.)

So your targetpath should look something like this

"G:\Program Files\ArmA\beta\arma.exe" -nosplash -zprime -profiles=Profiles -mod=beta;DBE1;@arma_effects;@PROPERVegetation;@HiFiSoundFX

thumbs-up.gif

ok uhm odd thing is that in the display properties>advanced properties>troubleshooting the change properties button is grey out for whatever reason  crazy_o.gif

Ok, i know this will sound stupid but when the bars grayed out its usually to do with directx being corrupt or improprely installed.

Try reinstalling it from the microsoft site, probably won't work but on the other hand may fix everything.

Ok, i know this will sound stupid but when the bars grayed out its usually to do with directx being corrupt or improprely installed.

Try reinstalling it from the microsoft site, probably won't work but on the other hand may fix everything.

Mine is grayed out, but it states "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings".

Thats the way it has been since Feb 07' drivers, all the way up to 174.93betas. I'm currently using 169.25 WHQL.

Next drivers I try, I'll check before installing them to see if it is still grayed out. (The Vista generic drivers).

Mine is grayed out, but it states "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings".

Thats the way it has been since Feb 07' drivers, all the way up to 174.93betas. I'm currently using 169.25 WHQL.

Next drivers I try, I'll check before installing them to see if it is still grayed out. (The Vista generic drivers).

They're only locked out from the GUI perspective in most cases. (Aside from cases of hardware limitations)

Riva tuner's Power user tab gives you direct access to the registry meaning you should be careful in ensuring the changes you're making are the ones you want in the event that the setting you want to adjust isn't available in riva tuners gui tabs either.

Seems i was just beeing retarded...

i somehow didnt install the 1.12 update properly

arma runs smooth now, entirely maxed out *big grin*

i just purchased vista ultimate for my computer and im having some performance issues. ive read all the threads and done everything it tells me to yet i am still lagging. my comp specs are

Time of this report: 5/13/2008, 17:39:28

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: ECS

System Model: A740GM-M

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 1119MB used, 1440MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_22861682&REV_A1

Display Memory: 752 MB

Dedicated Memory: 497 MB

Shared Memory: 255 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Hey guys ...

I just reinstalled Arma, in hope off that the 4gb issue were solved with the newest beta patch. But obersibly it wasnt sad_o.gif!

I also tried with that maxmem=512 "fix" didnt help either, can it really be that I have to remove 1gb ?! my system gets fucked up by doing that.

I forgot to mention that the issue is the black screen, and the odd looking menu goodnight.gifgoodnight.gif

Eh? That 1.12 patch should have fixed it for you.

I take it you tried new drivers for your video card?

I don't use the -maxmem command anymore.

yeah .... JDB (former SFG) from inv44 was so kind to tell me that I had to launch the game tougth the beta schorout banghead.gif

Hi!

I running vista sp1 64bit on my machine. But when i installed arma's copy protection (starforce), then win hangs up at load. Starforce remove -> win working again. So i downloaded the EU version, with securom, and i using 1.08 cr*ck with it.

BTW do not think i didn't bought arma (this is the second original game i have, first was ofp) biggrin_o.gif just my original is starforce version (first 1.0 czech version, i bought it after 2 weeks after the first release) isn't working on vista 64, bcuz of copy protection. So i installed the warez version, and i used my original cdkey with it, so i can play everywhere now with 1.08... but what if another patch comes out? There won't be cr*ck for it for some days or weeks! And i don't think that the securom version without cr*ck will identify my starforced orig dvd as original...

So what will be with me when a new patch comes out? (i don't wanna downgrade my os sad_o.gif )

Instead of using the cracked version, perhaps you can give the 1.12 a try? I know it is a beta only, but still beta sounds somewhat more "official" and "supported" than a cracked version. Moreover, the beta exists side by side with your full version, it will not touch your current instalation at all.