Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Vista Troubleshooting Thread: The one and only

Ok another Vista user here. In 32 bit mode. Picked up AA again to load on my new machine. Install went great. Patched to 1.12.

Every now and then my system randomly locks upwhile playing. Doesnt crash to desktop, it totally locks up and have to reset to get out of the game. Its a new system and has the latest drivers. Ive put a couple of posts up on the forum trying to identify issues. I know a buddy of mine also bought a new machine and installed AA and notices the same problem. Random lock up.

My system

e8500 3.5 ghz intel

Asus Striker II extreme mobo

2 gigs ocz ddr3 ram not overclocked

500 gig HD

Asus 9800 gx2 card

Onboard sound with EAX and hardware accel. disabled in game.

running esp and CEX mods only(along with beta and DBE1) with -nosplash -nomap

Instead of using the cracked version, perhaps you can give the 1.12 a try? I know it is a beta only, but still beta sounds somewhat more "official" and "supported" than a cracked version. Moreover, the beta exists side by side with your full version, it will not touch your current instalation at all.

Bcuz the most of servers are 1.08, and i don't play too much in single.

But why? 1.12 don't check dvd? Or it has updated vista compatible sf? And what will be at final 1.12?

Hello, I'm experiencing extreme jerking (...) when I'm zooming in. My Vista Install is a 100% clean and from scratch and ArmA is at relativly low settings, version 1.14

Vista Ultimate x64, tweaked, that is many unnecessary services and visual effects deactivated

Quadcore Intel 6600 @2.4Ghz each

Nvidia 8800 GTX

It ran "all fine" (well, I'd have expected it to run better) on XP.

Please, can anyone help?

Solved. Runs flawlessly after SP1 and the latest DX redist have been applied. Hurray!

Getting the out of memory crash to desktop with a mission I created. It seems to be reproducable but Im still checking. Im using the following mods

-mod=@dbe1;@esp;@Cex;@ffaa;@dmasmoke -nosplash -nomap.

System is

intel E8500 3.1 ghz

2 gigs ddr3 ram

Asus Striker II extreme Mobo

Asus 9800gx2 video card

Vista 32 Ultimate

WD 500gig drive.

Arma Version 1.14

Latest nvidia drivers

Ive set a mission using DAC and CEX with a full company of marines with 4 aav7(hence the FFAA mod). I have 3 zones and one spawn zone. When the zones activate the game crashes. When I remove 1 zone it runs fine. I Im definitely running into a unit count memory barrier.

Every patch I download does not install properly. I have tried this on multiple computers, and it all does the same thing. And on top of that, the "multiple computers" were all Vista.

All patches, including beta ones, worked perfectly for me. I'm running Vista Enterprise 32-bit.

Don't know if this should be here or under the memory handling thread:

Running Vista 64bit on a Q6600 (Intel P35 motherboard) with 6GB RAM, 2xATI HD3870 cards in crossfire and patch 1.14.

Still getting the problem where the game sits at a black screen upon startup. I can skip this if I use msconfig to set the maximum RAM to 3GB. Also none of the maxmem settings has an impact on this.

Am happy to try anything suggested to get it running with 6GB, as it's a pain to keep restarting (my own projects require the extra RAM so I can't keep it set low)

Formski

Running Vista 64bit on a Q6600 (Intel P35 motherboard) with 6GB RAM, 2xATI HD3870 cards in crossfire and patch 1.14.

Still getting the problem where the game sits at a black screen upon startup.  I can skip this if I use msconfig to set the maximum RAM to 3GB.  Also none of the maxmem settings has an impact on this.

Am happy to try anything suggested to get it running with 6GB, as it's a pain to keep restarting (my own projects require the extra RAM so I can't keep it set low)

Formski

Just a followup - running window mode runs the game fine, full screen does not.

Running ATI Catalyst 8.5 Drivers if that's any help (also Vista obviously running SP1)

Formski

Another thing to try in Vista (as noted from a Guru3D thread).

In Vista's Power Options: Change it to High Performance

Just one more available option to try.

another one for the odd problems for this patch and vista64:

gold box edition works more or less perfect (the screen is only a bit twisted but all details are ok);

when i install this patch (1.14) i can no longer join MP because off invalid cd key.

A little odd as well was that when joining MP in 1.08 i got the message altered files (but i could play).

My conclusion? Getting back to XP

just a quick note:

-nomap command no longer support in ARMA

-vm108 command no longer support since 1.14

OK.. in short.

Does Armed Assault 1.4 run on Vista 32b SP1?

No mods, no tweakage, no nothing..

I know there are problems with drivers, new gen of nvidia cards, Arma itself, etc so its very hard to tell if the problems reported here are all related to Vista.

Meow!

Runs like a dream Heateeker! Just get all the latest drivers, hotfixes and updates, and you're ready to rock.

However, I think you mean 1.14, right? smile_o.gif

A general note:

Anyone with X-fi, and at least Vista x64; I would not recommend getting the current 2.18.xxxxx beta drivers..

Many crashes, loss of sound, and other problems reported

Sickboy, any chance you could link me to the Xfi driver version and Open AL version you use?

I get a full crash (meaning I have to reboot the computer) with a bunch of goofy hi-pitched sounds now after playing for an hour or so. It could be heat related (I doubt it, but it is summer now and the room's a little hotter). I believe its sound related, but not certain.

Meow!

Runs like a dream Heateeker! Just get all the latest drivers, hotfixes and updates, and you're ready to rock.

However, I think you mean 1.14, right? smile_o.gif

A general note:

Anyone with X-fi, and at least Vista x64; I would not recommend getting the current 2.18.xxxxx beta drivers..

Many crashes, loss of sound, and other problems reported

Thanks mate smile_o.gif .

Is anyone using a -maxmem command with Vista64?

The ole ArmA stopped working bs is happening again so I'm thinking there's a memory leak going on.

Still getting the problem where the game sits at a black screen upon startup.  I can skip this if I use msconfig to set the maximum RAM to 3GB.  Also none of the maxmem settings has an impact on this.

Formski

Running ATI Catalyst 8.5 Drivers if that's any help (also Vista obviously running SP1)

Formski

Formski,

I have the exact same issue. Back when I had an 8800GTS, running Vista x64 with 4GB of RAM, before the 1.14 patch, I would get the black screen.

Now, I have a Q9300, X38 chipset mobo, 8GB RAM, and an ATi Radeon 4850. I'm using the new 8.6 Hotfix drivers from ATi. I'm seeing this problem all over again, unless I run ArmA in windowed mode.

This almost make me want to go back to the green team. Except that every other game I have tested this card on runs great.

Formski

Formski

Formski,

I have the exact same issue. Back when I had an 8800GTS, running Vista x64 with 4GB of RAM, before the 1.14 patch, I would get the black screen.

Now, I have a Q9300, X38 chipset mobo, 8GB RAM, and an ATi Radeon 4850. I'm using the new 8.6 Hotfix drivers from ATi. I'm seeing this problem all over again, unless I run ArmA in windowed mode.

This almost make me want to go back to the green team. Except that every other game I have tested this card on runs great.

i've had the problem for months as a 3870 and now 4870 owner, i've stopped playing till its fixed, checking on here once a week for news

ofp2 is still renders but the pc gamer preview sounded positive

Well the blackscreen bug is still there along with millions of...

"Error: Failed to create surface texture"

...lines in the report file.

ONLY workaround is running ArmA as windowed and not fullscreen. But that is useless because u cannot even change size of the window. wink_o.gif

However, is it that hard to fix the 4gb issue once and for all time? Changelog said it has been fixed. That was the only reason i gave ArmA another chance since november2007 .... but it still has the bug.

any chance that it will be fixed?

SysPecs:

Vista Ultimate x64

Phenom 9850 BE

8GB RAM

ATI Radeon 4870

Simon

Hmm, I can resize here. The resize arrows don't show up and it's kind of choppy to resize, but it works ok. Just grab the border? Arrows didn't show up in XP either, I think it's because they replace the mouse cursor in game with a bitmap.

Maybe a Arma+Vista64 issue for the resize?

Vista32, ATI 4850, Aero disabled. (useless icon_rolleyes.gif)

PS: If resizing with the mouse doesn't work for you, try the arma.cfg file.

winW=1280;

winH=1024;

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15239

Quote[/b] ]The tide has turned for 64-bit editions of Windows Vista. Despite a slow debut among the enthusiast and developer communities, Vista x64 is now making some serious headway, according to a post on the official Windows Vista Team Blog.

Microsoft's Chris Flores doesn't just base that observation on a gut feeling—he has plenty of statistics to support it. Looking at the number of PCs connected to Windows Update, Flores says the installed base of 64-bit Vista systems "has more than tripled in the U.S. in the last three months." Overall, 20% of new Vista systems that signed on to Windows Update in the United States this June were 64-bit, up from a paltry 3% in March. And it's not just North America—Vista x64 uptake has also "more than doubled" worldwide over the last three months.

Why are these changes occurring now? Flores points in part to falling memory prices, which makes a whole lot of sense. Looking at our system guides, coupling the $1,000 Grand Experiment build with 2GB of memory cost around $80 in July 2007, while we can now outfit that build with 4GB of slightly faster RAM for the same price. PC makers have seized the opportunity to do the same in a growing number of consumer system—and utilizing all of that memory pretty much mandates a 64-bit OS.

any chance of a fix for us?

no?

didn't think so

Hi everybody.

I don't know, maybe somewhere my problem already was described, though on the main wikipage (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Troubleshooting_Vista) everything I've saw I did and it didn't help.

I meet problem that game loads very slow, and when it loads it has very slowly moving pictures with weird textures

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362....mg]

I've saw this message:

"Make sure you have adjusted your startup shortcut to include -maxmem=512, in some cases it might be necessary to tweak it further back. Try 384. "

and tried everything, even -maxmem=256, but nothing helps.

My configuratoin:

Windows Vista 64 SP1 4Gb RAM (I was trying 3Gb, doesn't help)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,13

GeForce 8800GT

NVIDIA drivers 175.19

DirectX9/10 Redistributable

I have K-lite codec installed

Looks like everything works, but something with video drivers or memory... though I have last version of the driver and I was using maxmem option...

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Aviafan,

adding to the shortcut is specific. I want to confirm yours looks similar to this,

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -maxmem=512

notice it starts after the last quotation with a space 1st.

Your pc should run ArmA easily...... starting from scratch might help with a reinstall ArmA.