Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Vista Troubleshooting Thread: The one and only

Thanks alot sickboy thats helped alot i been playing for 2 hours and no crash, thanks alot, spose i shuld have read them first tho:(

thanks anyway

I've had no more than 10 minutes of Arma working before it crashes so far. It either hangs in the game or (more often) it hangs on the map/briefing screen. I'm runnng Arma Gold (1.08).

My system is:

MICRO-STAR MS-7367

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

2046MB RAM

DirectX 10 - don't know how to get rid of DX10!!! See my other post

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS - 7.15.0011.6925 - forceware 169.25

Digital Output Device (SPDIF) - onboard audio

I have

patched to 1.09 and no change

win xp sp2 compatibility mode

tried the -maxmem=512

DirectX 10 - don't know how to get rid of DX10!!! See my other post

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS - 7.15.0011.6925 - forceware 169.25

Vista contains both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 (and also DirectX 8, DirectX 7 ....). They is no way (and no need) to uninstall DirectX 10 from Vista.

Thx Suma. I also installed the hotfixes in the Biki page and managed to get about 15 minutes of play just now. It still seems to like crashing on the map page however. Anyone got any more advice about maxmem or page file options? Still stuck and tearing my hair out!

Also noticed that when playing either a mission or on the editor my processor is going mad and there is a lot HD access.

PK

Dual Core Optimizer?

It helped me with older games such as OFP and RavenShield.

I do not see any difference with ArmA on or off.

I also keep DX9 updated.

Just suggestions.  wink_o.gif

That's for XP ;-)

That's for XP ;-)

It's for AMD Dual cores.

Example, I can not play several older games without enabling "Gaming Mode" with it.

The games load up to a video glitch, and will not go past that point.

I've been using Kegety's Lowplants and got a lot more play time before crashes on my machine. Just a thought to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

That's for XP ;-)

It's for AMD Dual cores.

Example, I can not play several older games without enabling "Gaming Mode" with it.

Its for AMD dual core cpus on XP. Not Vista.

That's for XP ;-)

It's for AMD Dual cores.

Its for AMD dual core cpus on XP. Not Vista.

So, I should uninstall it and not play older games, since it's "not for Vista"? I don't think so. It is installed, it gives me the options of exit or gaming mode, which allows me to play the games I mentioned.

Am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit here with 4GB of RAM and a 3-SLI configuration. After install the 1.09 beta patch, I am able to run ArmA successfully. Haven't played it too long (but more than 30 minute) and no crashes or problems. Everything set to Very High at 1920x1200.

So, I should uninstall it and not play older games, since it's "not for Vista"? I don't think so. It is installed, it gives me the options of exit or gaming mode, which allows me to play the games I mentioned.

As far as I know, these issues do not exist in Vista because it already has measures like the dual-core optimizer included.

But if you say you need it and some stuff doesn't work as well without it, then who am I to claim otherwise ;-)

As far as I know, these issues do not exist in Vista because it already has measures like the dual-core optimizer included.

But if you say you need it and some stuff doesn't work as well without it, then who am I to claim otherwise ;-)

Everyone I know using DCO on XP, do not get an icon to choose options as I do. The Icon is to the left of my clock. Here is a pic of my desktop from last year after I finally got the Atari ArmA.

Notice the cpu's usage on far right, all 4 cores are half used or less. I have "Gaming Mode" enabled during that test. Without gaming mode, FireDaemon has the ArmA server.exe pinned to cpu#1/core#2, which stays at 100% (only 25% w/DCO).

As I said, I do not see/feel any difference playing ArmA, with DCO, but for some older games, it's a must.

It just may have to do with running 2 cpu's..dunno.

This is a large pic (2560x1600)

http://swatgaming.net/CPU%20Usage.jpg

PlatformKing, should atleast give it a try for his particular issue.

Edit= 4 gig memory worked in ArmA with Nvidia drivers 158.24 in that pic but SLI didn't.

Am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit here with 4GB of RAM and a 3-SLI configuration. After install the 1.09 beta patch, I am able to run ArmA successfully. Haven't played it too long (but more than 30 minute) and no crashes or problems. Everything set to Very High at 1920x1200.

frack  sad_o.gif

<s>I just switched to vista ultimate 64bit and 4gb of RAM (together with 8800GT SLI) and now I'm getting the black and white graphics  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

The newest patch 1.11 does not resolve this issue and I have every driver on my PC updated to the last version. I'm not going to remove RAM just because of Arma, that would be insane. This game has given me nothing but trouble and I'm about to throw it out of the window. And you can see how long I've been here and that I'm a die-hard OFP and ArmA fan, but enough is enough  crazy_o.gif

Someone fix this</s>

scrap this and frack yeah biggrin_o.gif I forgot to use the beta exe file. It's completely working now biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Is anyone else getting crashes on the map screen at briefing? My specs are posted in an earlier.

I've not experienced it... yet. I do believe that you're not alone though. Other people have mentioned it.

Just bought a new PC - Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Have 4gb RAM

Nvidia 8800GTX

Sound Blaster XFi

When I click on the setup application on the DVD I saved it to (I have the German version from Morphicon) I keep getting the error

not a valid win32 application

I have tried to run in XP SP2 compatibilty.

I have latest Nvidia drivers and have fully updated Vista.

Anyone able to talk me through what I need to do?

Rich

2 of our clan members are having SERIOUS issues since installing vista SP1

I have had vista x64 for over a year now and NEVER had a CTD with Arma unless there was a serious scripting error mission side.

Since installing Vista SP1, 2 out of 2 of us, out the blue are having random BSODs (which I have never ever seen since having vista in any game).

If anyone hasn't yet moved to SP1, I suggest you hold it off until a workaround is made. If it was just me BSODing i would assume its my config.

If anyone knows why this is, and a workaround plz post :-)

Hi All,

This is my first post in the BI Forums. I've been trying to resolve this issue myself for sometime, but I'm all out of tricks. I have posted this in the OGN forums, but I've have no responses.

This is definately a Vista issue, hence I posted in this thread rather than the 1.11 thread.

ArmA 1.08 works perfectly in Vista and ArmA 1.11 works in XP. I have noticed some strange differences in the network traffic between 1.08 and 1.11 in Vista. Which I believe prevents the Server List from downloading. Which is my issue; I can't get a Server List to download in 1.09 or 1.11 in Vista.

I took some screen prints on Netstat to show which TCP connections are made during the Sever List download. First the application sends a SYN to 207.38.11.35:80 and then when it gets an ACK. It sends a SYN to 207.38.11.14:28910 and receives an ACK. Both these address' are from IGN.

This happens exactly the same way whether I run ArmA 1.08 in Vista or ArmA 1.11 in XP, but doesn't work with ArmA 1.11 in Vista. In Vista when 1.11 sends the first SYN to 207.38.11.35:80 the application hangs (waiting for a ACK). Then when the SYN timeout expires it attempts to send a SYN to 207.38.11.14:28910. Which also times out and the application fails to get a Server List.

I took a TCP Dump using WireShark of what occurs when ArmA connects to IGN to get the Server List. The first thing the application does (ArmA 1.08 in Vista) is make a DNS query for 'armedass.available.gamespy.com'. This is the same in ArmA 1.11 running in XP, but not in Vista. When running in Vista, ArmA 1.11 skips the DNS query for 'armedass.available.gamespy.com'. I assume that this is the critical difference which is stopping it from working.

My question is;

Does anyone know why ArmA 1.11 in Vista is not doing the DNS query? and/or What do I need to check/change to get ArmA 1.11 working in Vista?

I have followed all of the troubleshooting tips for the Operating System, and due to the fact that 1.08 works (and 1.11 in XP). I can rule out my router configuration.

My Hardware Config is;

AMD Athlon X2 5600+

2x 2Gb Patriot PC-6400 (limited to 3Gb)

EVGA 8800 GTS 320

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

Vista x64 SP1

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Coke

My system:

Home/Gaming PC: e8400~3.6Ghz/GA-X48-DQ6/G.SKILL 4GB/P182/(5x)Scythe S-FLEX fans/Corsair750TX/9800GX2/SB X-fi/WD6400AAKS 640GB/WD7500AAKS 750GB/SAMSUNG DVD±R SH-S203B/dualboot Vista64-XP

New install of Game and OS.

I am getting horrible HDR flickering and screen corruption (White out, fades to black and then back to normal). No matter what I try it comes back all the time. Using 174.74 drivers and all other drivers are up to date.

As a side note the game World in Conflict uses tons of HDR and I got no errors of any kind, the games runs perfectly and it is equally or more demanding than ArmA.

Since I have dual boot I tried the game in XP and guess what? No flickering/HDR problem! So, this seems to be only in Vista, of which I have Vista 64. I'd still much rather run the game in Vista as it my main OS, but this is at least information.

Video of the problem:

Any help? Thanks!

I have just gotten my new PC and I seem to have problems with Arma but only in Multiplayer.

ArmA 1.8

Vista 64

Gigabyte X38 DS4

Quad 9450

4 Gig Ram 1066

EVGA 8800 GTS SuperSuper Clocked

SinglePlayer the game runs smooth as hell, even with highest settings (if msconfig modified to 3 Gig Ram

But multiplayer crashes after approx 10 minutes, any advise?

Just installed Vista SP1 and updated 8800GTX drivers now i get an error message saying.

Error compiling pixal shader PSNormal DXTA

Any ideas what that may be before i syatem restore or even remove SP1

OK as i've written a few pages before i had a big FPS drop when moving from XP-Prof over to Vista, even though i installed all newest drivers, vista patches and even SP1.

Now as a guy have written in a other thread, i installed the DirectX runtime update from march 2008 and i did get back my missing FPS!

Now i could even raise the View distance up to 3000m and having still around 28FPS+ inside the FPS-Killer City called "Bagango". Outside it goes up sometimes up to 60+ FPS when looking at a Mountain for example.

Before it was terrible and i had to keep my View distance down to 900m to get frames above 25 outside and 18 inside cities.

It playe like a totally new Game when you having the View distance set to 3000m, awesome when having the gigantic Mountains in the background while sneaking through Bagango.

Regards, Christian

Can you guys please update the Vista TroubleShooting wiki with these new info's etc?

I have very little time atm.