Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Vista Troubleshooting Thread: The one and only

Anyway great if it will be fixed in the next patch. Because I have not managed to get ArmA work (8800GT, Vista64 + 4Gb )with any 169.xx drivers and all nvidia/vista hotfixes installed. There's bunch of other people too with the same problem (not just in these forums)

Actually, everyone is able to get his game to run in that situation. By following the wiki page linked in the first post of this thread.

Actually, everyone is able to get his game to run in that situation. By following the wiki page linked in the first post of this thread.

Yea they should have printed that in the manual. Tweak your msconfig and restart your computer if you wanna play this game. rofl.gif

"everyone is able to get his game to run"

Well, to run maybe but with what kind of quality and reliabilty under vista ?

I got a computer (laptop) with Vista 32 (c2d, 2 go ram, 8600m gt). I managed to make that thing running quite nicely, reinstalling clean vista, tweaking usual and known things, new drivers, etc.

Medieval Total War2, test drive unlimited, world in conflict, all these games ran without any issue and with decent fps. All, except one : armed assault 1.08. I got, and still get the famous "lag spikes", tried 'vista antilag', 'wlanoptimizer', still and ever microlags, not even 'every minute or so', making that thing a pain to play.

I got 4 go of ram and installed ultimate vista 64. Everything is running smoothly, but, of course, I got the '4 go issue' thing with Arma...

Tried the msconfig with allowing only 3 go. Arma launchs and may be played, but (in addition that's kind of a workaround) still the lag spikes... I installed dual boot with xp pro 32. Arma is running perfectly, smooth, fast, nice....... Nothing new you'll say. But it's kind of a pity since it's THE game I like and play. And that game obviously doesn't like vista (or reverse). So many threads on so many forums state that. Older games doesn't care about xp or vista (for instance OFP) and with proper drivers run well on both.

I do hope that a patch solve the trouble, but i'm a bit doubtful. I don't need to (and won't get) a tower with a quadcore and an hypervitamined 8800gtxzw sli to play games (not speaking about Crysis I don't care about).

able to get a game to run is one thing, able to Play a game is other. So ? waiting for arma2 or OFP2...

Oh man huh.gif

I cant belive this, i played this game with my old PC, and it was soo nice... but i had lags... I was dreaming about having a nice new PC... And now i have... And whats going on, the game even wont start correctly... Now they telling us to "Tweak your msconfig" ... Well i have 8GB RAM... actually i bought this only to get the game running awesome... and now i have to remove 6GB to run this game??? this sux guys sad_o.gif blame huh.gif

Im trying to install ArmA with Vista 64-bit, but the installer tells me that 33 GB of free harddrive space isn't enough to install. Any suggestions?

Free up more hdd space. Vista eats loads for system restore.

Here is what you can do to check how much space Vista is using for System Restore and to decrease it.

To check how much space is being used, go to command prompt with administrator privileges:

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories. Right click on ‘Command Prompt’ and click ‘Run as Administrator’.

Type the following in the command prompt:vssadmin list shadowstorage The results shown will be similar to this:

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.702 GB

Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.933 GB

Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 5 GB

If you feel like Vista is taking up too much space, then use this command to lower it:vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=[Drive Letter]: /For=[Drive Letter]: /Maxsize=[space]For example, I executed this command to lower it to 2GB:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

This is useful to anyone running Vista.

Oh man huh.gif

I cant belive this, i played this game with my old PC, and it was soo nice... but i had lags... I was dreaming about having a nice new PC... And now i have... And whats going on, the game even wont start correctly... Now they telling us to "Tweak your msconfig" ... Well i have 8GB RAM... actually i bought this only to get the game running awesome... and now i have to remove 6GB to run this game??? this sux guys sad_o.gif blame huh.gif

It's called researching before you buy.

Anyway, Suma probably fixed the problem in Vista X64 with more than 3GB ram, at least 4GB was resolved. The fix should be included in 1.09final

This is good news. I researched and when i realised I'd need to disable a GB of RAM if I got 4 I figured it was an easier solution than having to go out and buy more when and if they fixed it.

Cheers for the tip about shadowstorage too. I was wondering why my harddrive was so flaming full with a clean install!

Free up more hdd space. Vista eats loads for system restore.

Here is what you can do to check how much space Vista is using for System Restore and to decrease it.

To check how much space is being used, go to command prompt with administrator privileges:

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories. Right click on ‘Command Prompt’ and click ‘Run as Administrator’.

Type the following in the command prompt:vssadmin list shadowstorage The results shown will be similar to this:

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.702 GB

Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.933 GB

Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 5 GB

If you feel like Vista is taking up too much space, then use this command to lower it:vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=[Drive Letter]: /For=[Drive Letter]: /Maxsize=[space]For example, I executed this command to lower it to 2GB:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

This is useful to anyone running Vista.

Thank you for your reply. But I tried to install it on a another drive where Vista are not installed. My Vista partition has almost 100 GB free HDD space, and the drive where I attempted to install ArmA had 33 GB of free space. I have disabled amoung other things System Restore, etc. before hand.

I have installed ArmA before in Windows XP Pro, and ArmA doesn't even come close to 5 GB in size when installed, so why it wants more than 33 GB of space for the same install but with another operating system, I don't know.

However, after a little creative hacking of the installer I was abel to force it to install, and ArmA works now. smile_o.gif

i got everything but the mission editor just about working on vista. After not that long using the mission editor it eventually stops responding after clicking on sumthing it doesnt like. Is there sumthing i can do to fix this?

So this means that the 4gb issues ect. wil be fixed in the next patch?

OK I give up! I have been searching around here and other places to find a solution but I cant find any specific help... Yes I have searched...

Basically I cant open the ARMAGEENG file that I downloaded from sproket... And they dont seem at all interested in helping me sad_o.gif

When I run it, it just starts thinking, my HD starts blurring away, but nothing happens... for agaes. And the only way to stop it is to open the Task Manager and stop it there.

I am running vista 32... I know this is not supported but other peeps here seem to be playing ARMA on vista!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Chris Gee

Indeed,

Thx Placebo, I know that xp x64 works with 4 gb memory, but the question was: " It will work with arma?"  Some one maybe have tried, and probably has the same problem, buy maybe no, who knows.

I have fresh system with XP64 install and played Arma for a few hours with no problems whatsoever.

No memory switches, no changes needed to make Arma run.I have about 10 games installed.Morrowind the only one has errors at startup but still plays fine.

Amd X2 6400+ cpu,4 gig ddr2,HD3870 512meg video.Xp64

@killagee

im running vista and bought arma tru sprocket download services. It all worked fine here so its not a compatiblity issue.

It is probably cuased by a corrupt download. Try to disable any virus/spyware software and downloadmanagers before downloading. If i recall correct u can download the file again at their site.. id try that 1st.

Hope it helps and shame on sprocket for not giving u any proper support.

I have 2 hard drives. One with Vista 64 Home Premium and One with XP. Running q6600 @ 3.4, 2 gig crucial ballistix (4 gig when I attempted Vista), Xfi Fatal1ty and Gforce 8800gtx, Abit IP35 pro (tasty for over clocking) mobo. Arma runs like a bag of turd with Vista compared to XP. I don't really use my Vista setup. Shame really cause I have 2 gig of crucial sitting there doing nothing.

I tried everything to get Arma running stable and for all my efforts I could not. Fingers crossed later driver combined with 1.09 patch will solve the many issues.

Hi i made the move Vista X86 ultimate.

My Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.2GHZ default) @ 3009MHZ

2GB DDR400 CL2 RAM

ATI Radeon HD3850.

At my previous XP Prof System Arma was running with this system pretty good in 1.08 and even smoother in 1.09beta. Settings were all at "normal".

Now with Vista Ultimate (all newest drivers, all suggested patches+hotfixes and more) it seems to run just half as quick as with XP.

Also i have sound-issues (can't download/install newest OpenAL drivers as Creatives Server has some problems i assume) + Textures seem to load pretty late compared to my XP installation.

Its pretty bad, and other programs and games i have run in vista as quick as in XP Prof and anyway í'm pretty happy with the overall performance of Vista Ultimate.

I hope in 1.09 final it will run a bit quicker....

@Susser:

Did you look in the first post wiki link, and followed all steps?

I guess not because in your setup you can at least keep 3GB running under Vista 64 to play ArmA.

@mr.g-c:

Did you try running it with -maxmem switch? You're sure you've got every single hotfix linked in the wiki installed?

I have no experience with the Radeon x2 and x3 series,

but since the vista hotfixes, 1.09beta, latest SND+Grph drivers seem to run a charm.

Tried enabling tripple buffering? Resolution and refresh are the same as when you tested under XP? (Refresh could matter in case of V-sync used)

If you got an X-Fi soundcard, get these drivers: http://downloads.guru3d.com/SoundBl....75.html

Hi, sure....

I had installed every patch from windows update + the suggested on the Biki-page and the the following:

KB936710

KB938194

KB938660

KB938979

KB940105

KB944652

KB945145

KB945149

KB945435

Also i have now Service-Pack1 installed and also no difference - although windows performance seems to be better after Service-Pack.

Graphic settings (both driver settings and Arma settings are equal to the ones i had set in XP)

But ill try to run it in XP SP2 comp. mode.

Regards, Christian

Short Update:

When im running Arma 1.08 with the lowplants mod, its running just smooth enough to play properly (though in XP it was faster).

Also the textures are loading correct then (always maxmem=512).

Even smoother on maps with grass disabled....

I even checked in 1.09b to play on maps with grass disabled but its still running very slow...

So it seems that 1.09b is worse than 1.08 to play under Vista for me, in XP it was vice versa.

Im trying the method from Suma to force 1.09b to use memory behavior from 1.08.

Will report it here later....

I run Arma on windows Vista, it runs well in most time. but

sometime, it freezes a while and blacks out and returns back to normal after 20-60 seconds. I found the following the following error message. when this phenomenon happens. my system is

CPU Q6600

Mem 2G

Ghraphic card: 8800Gt 512M with the newest offical driver.

OS: vista 32 (I think I already install the all hotfix..just cannot remember it so clearly.:crazy: )

Quote[/b] ]

Product

ArmA

Problem

Stopped working

Date

1/24/2008 9:48 PM

Status

Not Reported

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: arma.exe

Application Version: 1.9.0.5208

Application Timestamp: 476bccc6

Fault Module Name: arma.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.9.0.5208

Fault Module Timestamp: 476bccc6

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0003caf4

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 235a

Additional Information 2: 576ed1ef0dc98b206af32e32ff0e98fd

Additional Information 3: eb5a

Additional Information 4: d96e53fe707ca1e7c0afa5914175941a

I have recently experienced problems with ArmA, it locks the PC after a while ( from 30 to 1 hour ), so that I have to powercycle it to get it running again.

Driver problem ?

Only installed the latest Windows updated in the last week..

Running nVidia 8800Ultra driver 7.15.11.6925

Vista Ultimate 64bit

Athlon dual core 6400+

Hey all!

With ArmA all I get is a black screen and... well nothing, Ive seen about ArmA not liking a 4Gb of RAM (Or more)

What do I do to sort it out? or has it been fixed now?

My specs:

Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

8Gb DDR2 RAM

2x 8800GTX in SLi

Also another thing, when I installed ArmA I got a message that I didnt have enough space? I have over 200Gb still free? huh.gif

Hey im having pritty god results on vista running it in the XP SP2 mode, getting 35FPS on MP.

however im having trouble the game keeps crashing to desktop and i get the following error

"Cannot create system memory surface DXT5,1024x1024 (size 1398112 B) Error code 80070000e"

This only seems to happen on MP so far. Any suggestions?

My rig is

Intel Pentium D 3.2Ghz

2048mb Ram

Radeon HD 3870 512mb ram GPU

thanks for any help.

Installed all the hotfixes as noted in the Wiki Page listed in the first post?