Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Vista Troubleshooting Thread: The one and only

Do you leave any programs running in the background? Googling will tell you that dwm.exe is completely unnecessary so perhaps you should either turn off the graphical effects used in Vista or just disable dwm.exe before starting ArmA, see if that makes a difference?

No, no programs other then those windows processess were running in the background. I was able to run ArmA fine leaving dwm running before. The most confusing part of this is why it became a problem now. I have attempted some fixes and will update on this thread, if I resolved the problem.

well if you have 4 ram my best choice for you guys is removing one it worked for me and I have a 8800GTX with vista

When you check the wiki page linked in the first post of this thread. You will find other "solutions" than physically removing a memory stick mate.

Hey guys, I recently purchased Arma Gold edition and was very dissapointed to find that when I loaded into game, the world didn't render properly. It looked more like I was playing Army men 3D and every auto save or manual save crashed the game when I tried the shooting range.

This is what it looked like:

MYfuckinggod.jpg

I'm running Vista ultimate 32bit. I was about to make a thread about it due to the fact that I've seen no one with my particular issue of graphics but I know some people have been having the crashes.

Today I installed the Service pack 1 RC from Microsoft and thought "why not test it" not expecting anything really. To my suprise the game graphics have rendered properly and it no longer crashes!!

I don't know if anyone has tried this but it may help some of you guys, I hope it does.

Issue resolved!

It was not about anything specifically about vista, but was instead an overheating issue. Now I can enjoy 1.09 agian.

Im having a problem where there is severe lag in the game menus but not in game especially in the mission editor placing units can take forever, also the game will suddenly freeze and stop responding anyone know what this could be. I v'e tried the maxmem command but this has no effect.

My specs:

Windows Vista 32 premium

Processor:

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory:

2046MB RAM

Hard Drive:

250 GB

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Tried all solutions and workarounds found on the wiki page linked in the first post of this thread ?

@roglik:

The hotfixes listed in the wiki page, are also included in the Vista SP1 RC1, hence your issues were resolved or have improved.

Tried them all, ill do some more searching. Will post a reply if i find a solution, thanks for the help smile_o.gif

I've that problem too ( vista x64 ultimate, 4 gb ddr2 )

It will be fixed ? I mean FIXED for good, not this workaround things, by the way the workarounds actually "work" but, I simply doesn't want to boot without 1gb of ram to make Arma ( and ONLY arma run )... the only title indeed that I'd find the problem on. Mah!

There is anyone with xp x64 that have tested arma with 4 gigs memory ? (It's worst then vista x64 as driver support, but, man, If Arma work there with 4 gigs, man, lol wtf!, I made another boot only 4 it no problem @ all)

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Sorry, I'm little exasperated not only by the problem Itself but seeing someone from bis lying about that it's a nvidia problem and, quoting: " I am afraid if you want the problem to be solved, you should perhaps contact the support of nVidia."

Man, for crying out loud, theres ATI users Too out there with 4 gigs of memory...

I hate this type of things ... before that that guy wrote :

"Given how many problems there currently are in Vista with various drivers and games, we are not willing to spend our time debugging the problem."

Ok I Understand that u don't give a fuck, ah sorry for the word, But, Please, don't like to us... say it simple: "We are not willing to spend our time debugging the problem." I can understand this .... U are NOT willing to SPEND Ur time Debugging tha game to Sove this problem, man! Crystal Clear.

Problems in vista with games? Like arma ? I've no problems with olther games =P

Link a page with that typos spammed all around in the forums, maybe in this topic, problem solved ... no more exasperated guys like ME coming here every week searching if u made some progress.

jez, Beloved google find the solution

I was a Ofp/Arma/GameWhatever bis creations fan from the first demo of Ofp came by... I was pissed off all the way from Ofp to arma by how the things turns out.

I probably get a band.gif from this, but It's doesn't matter, Cannot play "stupid" anymore, any way.

There is anyone with xp x64 that have tested arma with 4 gigs memory ? (It's worst then vista x64 as driver support, but, man, If Arma work there with 4 gigs, man, lol wtf!, I made another boot only 4 it no problem @ all)

My understanding is that XP64 with 4gb works fine (I use XP64 but don't have 4gb ram so don't speak from experience).

Maybe we can go back to what this thread is made for? Troubleshooting ArmA on Vista, solutions and workarounds.

I don't mind answering a couple of times in here or even keeping the wiki up2date with latest informations, but complaints and other worthless posts in this thread will slingshot me away from it.

Besides, i'm sure there's enough "Bad BIS this" and "Bad BIS that" threads, maybe keep to those?

It's horrible enough to have most of the threads filled with complaining and bashing. Maybe we can keep the troubleshooting threads simple and basic, about troubleshooting, workarounds and fixes.

Indeed,

Thx Placebo, I know that xp x64 works with 4 gb memory, but the question was: " It will work with arma?" Some one maybe have tried, and probably has the same problem, buy maybe no, who knows.

Indeed,

Thx Placebo, I know that xp x64 works with 4 gb memory, but the question was: " It will work with arma?" Some one maybe have tried, and probably has the same problem, buy maybe no, who knows.

LOL yes obviously I meant XP64 + 4gb + ArmA works together, just forgot to include the "ArmA" part in case it wasn't obvious that's what I meant wink_o.gif

FYI: We have recently tested ArmA 1.09 with 4 GB RAM / Intel Quad Core / nVidia 8800 card on Vista x64, and have not experienced a single problem, the game is running fine here.

FYI: We have recently tested ArmA 1.09 with 4 GB RAM / Intel Quad Core / nVidia 8800 card on Vista x64, and have not experienced a single problem, the game is running fine here.

Nice,

Then something is wrong on my end?

I'm still having to disable MHR to get video.

Maybe SLI? (cannot test until current Evo mission is completed)

IIRC: The problem is the following situation:

For ArmA to run smoothly and properly under Vista, one must:

[*] Install Hotfixes (those listed in the Vista Troubleshooting wiki page)

[*] Install a 163.xx series or newer driver

The above solves the Virtual Memory Assignment under Vista, but It might just (re)introduce the 4GB bug.

Dunno if your testing system includes the hotfixes and 163.xx or newer driver?

I am a Vista user and I never had this problem before but I am having trouble connecting to a select few servers and one of them is my clan server. Now the only things I have changed are the 1.09 beta patch and installed the latest display driver that didnt work which ment me re-installing back to a older one, I just haven't got a clue what could be doing this! help.gif

same probleme here with remapping on and maxmem set  to 768 or 512 i still have that

sanstitrewz8.th.jpg

tested on quad core + hd3870 512mo with catalyst 7.11  7.12 and the new ones 8.1

with

Q6600

4*1 GB of gskill 6400gbpk

ASUS P5KP-AP

Sapphire RADEON HD 3870

and Arma 1.09béta

got to sisable remapping in the bios in order arma to works

Well i have done everything that the wiki says im running vista 64, 4 gig of ram and a 8800 video card and the only way i can play the game is if i gimp my 4 gig of ram down to 3096 in boot manager ?

And i know 4 other people that have exactly the same problem if i start with 4 gig all i get is that shitty black screen.

So please tell me how i can get arma to work without gimping my my 4 gig to 3 ?

With 169.25 drivers I was able to reproduce the problem. Function IDirect3DDevice9::GetAvailableTextureMem returns unsigned int larger than 2 GB with those drivers, which is then our side mistakenly used as a signed int, causing arithmetic overflow, and making the game to thing card has no video memory at all.

The fix should be available in the next patch.

With 169.25 drivers I was able to reproduce the problem. Function IDirect3DDevice9::GetAvailableTextureMem returns unsigned int larger than 2 GB with those drivers, which is then our side mistakenly used as a signed int, causing arithmetic overflow, and making the game to thing card has no video memory at all.

How many times have I told you and Maruk you're great?

Exactly, too many times, so im not going to say it this time xmas_o.gif

Thanks! notworthy.gif

So you didn't earlier use latest drivers? icon_rolleyes.gif And every answer here is: use the latest drivers etc. pfff.

Anyway great if it will be fixed in the next patch. Because I have not managed to get ArmA work (8800GT, Vista64 + 4Gb )with any 169.xx drivers and all nvidia/vista hotfixes installed. There's bunch of other people too with the same problem (not just in these forums)

Oh my GOD YES! Thank you so very much for this news!

Edit:

Suma, does this mean you play ArmedA a lot on Vista 64 or you where just trying it out to look for this problem?

This is great news Suma.

When I used 158.24 drivers, I had no problems with ArmA and 4gig mem, hence as to why I wanted to blame Nvidia. The game runs great on 2gig, even with a server running as a service, on this same pc. I will be glad to be able and test the game at full power again with todays patches/drivers.

I guess if you hadn't picked up Vista, we would still be waiting for a fix? And, did you say that patch would be ready tonight? or tomorrow?

[/insert]runs away[insert]