Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

SPG-9 Recoiless rifle

Oh and anybody who knows how to prepare an optic texture for ArmA, could you try your hand at making this into a one?

I might, at that. That's also exactly the style of the BMP-1 optics -- I was looking for a photo of those.

I could probably use my PSO-1 optics texture for 90% of that scope too, since they're both 4x optics.

Oh and anybody who knows how to prepare an optic texture for ArmA, could you try your hand at making this into a one?

I might, at that. That's also exactly the style of the BMP-1 optics -- I was looking for a photo of those.

I could probably use my PSO-1 optics texture for 90% of that scope too, since they're both 4x optics.

It makes sense that they're similar as they are both 73mm smoothbore guns with rocket assisted projectiles.

Of course if you define the ballistics info for one I'd love to have it! You can find stats on the shells here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPG-9

Quote[/b] ]Sorry about a lack of updates, I burned out my short little burst of energy for ArmA editing.

I think you shouldn't try to make too many features for it, just give it some ammo, correct turret rotation and elevation, better placed proxy and everyone will enjoy it !

Quote[/b] ]Sorry about a lack of updates, I burned out my short little burst of energy for ArmA editing.

I think you shouldn't try to make too many features for it, just give it some ammo, correct turret rotation and elevation, better placed proxy and everyone will enjoy it !

Yes I'm going to release a simple version first so my friend can do the scripts. Right now just waiting on the optic with somewhat accurate ballistics so it is usable at range.

I also wonder that. The SPG-9 is a very important weapon system for armies all over the world (and thus many different mods if its cool with them to allow other mods to use it).

If they don't finish it, I hope that they pass it on to another mod who will finish it up.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'd like to finish it but if theres anyone around who could finish it or help me out with the main things that were holding me back (good optic texture and matching ballistics) I'd love to finish it up.

The only ballistic stats for the SPG-9 i found so far is this :click me (it's russian, so i'm actually not sure if it really fits ... but the pics look right).

I wouldn't worry too much about the ballistics. It fires the same 73mm rocket assisted projectile as the BMP-1's cannon if I remember correctly. But I don't think most players are going to notice whether or not the ballistics is spot on perfect. Most players just want to blast something with it and have no clue about the ballistics of the projectile. I would recommend simply making it the same as the BIS BMP-1's ammo.

Likewise with the scope sights. Most players have never looked through the scope of a SPG-9 so I don't think they are going to notice if its not perfectly accurate to the real thing.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you will forget about this addon if nobody comes forward to make it spot-on perfect.

My adivice is to release a version with fictional optics and ballistics and then later update it to improve it.

I think also one mod in OFP (maybe FDF mod?) made a SPG-9 so you might want to check with them to see if they have an accurate optics texture that you can use along with info on the ballistics.

Whatever the case, please don't let this very important addon die.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I wouldn't worry too much about the ballistics. It fires the same 73mm rocket assisted projectile as the BMP-1's cannon if I remember correctly. But I don't think most players are going to notice whether or not the ballistics is spot on perfect. Most players just want to blast something with it and have no clue about the ballistics of the projectile. I would recommend simply making it the same as the BIS BMP-1's ammo.

Likewise with the scope sights. Most players have never looked through the scope of a SPG-9 so I don't think they are going to notice if its not perfectly accurate to the real thing.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you will forget about this addon if nobody comes forward to make it spot-on perfect.

My adivice is to release a version with fictional optics and ballistics and then later update it to improve it.

I think also one mod in OFP (maybe FDF mod?) made a SPG-9 so you might want to check with them to see if they have an accurate optics texture that you can use along with info on the ballistics.

Whatever the case, please don't let this very important addon die.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

My main concern is keeping it useable, I'd like to be able for the player to put an enemy tank thats 700m away on the 700m line and hit it first try.

FDF's optic is somewhat close to you picture in previous page.

But they weren't zeroed correctly (800 meter line in optics worked as 0 meters for gun). Altough i'm pretty sure that ballistics weren't correct but like said i couldn't much test them as optics were zeroed incorrectly.

Agree with Miles Teg

Arma needs more statics

Would you also consider making a generic defence position for it for an emplaced scenario ?

Would save much time for mission makers , work better and look better than having to place it with Wood Fence and Fortress 1 .

made these for ofp ages ago but never finshed them fully , feel free to rip it apart .

ofp example

its the kind of thing i mean , maybe an urban and rural example .

Agree with Miles Teg

Arma needs more statics

Would you also consider making a generic defence position for it for an emplaced scenario ?

Would save much time for mission makers , work better and look better than having to place it with Wood Fence and Fortress 1 .

made these for ofp ages ago but never finshed them fully , feel free to rip it apart .

ofp example

its the kind of thing i mean , maybe an urban and rural example .

I would kill for those in ArmA, but retextured to use the same texture as the ground, maybe 2 or 3 versions with the main textures (grass/sand/rock?)

mecha, why don't you bug me on msn or join the channels i idle in.. like #acemod

You know I love to help, and esp on this one..

EDIT. Mecha, I started to fix the optic texture..

mecha, why don't you bug me on msn or join the channels i idle in.. like #acemod

I'll keep this in mind. smile_o.gif Just been a bit slow with editing ArmA recently.

I'll keep this in mind. smile_o.gif Just been a bit slow with editing ArmA recently.

spg9-sight.gif

The tga version is better.. but this is how it looks, ok, crap, redo anything?

If I remember correctly BMP/BMD-1 optic is similar as well? We may have to re-do my BMD-1s ballistics for yet another release of it. smile_o.gif

oh mecha, since I been thinking of bringing this baby back to ArmA..if you would like to, and include with the SPG-9 or just.. whatever.

cannon1.JPG

I'm also trying my hands at getting a working SPG-9 into the game. Just started my work yesterday on it.

Whats done:

Basic config work including adding it as a static mount into the game. Ammo, magazine and weapon values are also done!

What it can do already:

- I can get in and out (although I end up 1 or 2m over the ground when "getting out", no damage taken though)

What it cant do yet:

- I cannot traverse the barrel and/or fire the damned thing. As a matter of fact I only see the "commanding cursor", no weapon aiming cursor when "inside" the tripod

- It ends up 90° turned to the right of where it should be pointed to

Anyway, I hope I can get everything sorted out one or the other day, have only had my hands on it for like 1h.

If you want send it to me i can fix it...I have configured 3 other recoiless rifles for our Project Racs Mod

Lamar

Thanks for helping me out Dalai Lamar, once you've succeeded in fixing my setup biggrin_o.gif I will also include more types of ammunition (and their respective magazines). Up to now I've only created the basic PG-9 (HEAT) and OG-9 (HE-FRAG) rounds. As the ordinary PG-9 is rather ineffective against anything larger than an APC, I want to include the PG-9N and PG-9NT (Tandem HEAT on the latter) as well!

PS: Can anybody supply me with an accurate optics texture!? If yes, then please dont hesitate to send me a PM!