Sign in to follow this  
brataccas

Forums in general: a step away from reality?

hi, dunno how to explain this but how do you all feel posting on forums?, like here for example, the way I see it is I forget everything in the outside world, its as though me myself is sucked into the "Internet" world and people and other forum users are "internet people" and they all seem kinda like the same to me because its only text we see, its quite hard to express properly sad_o.gif and the complete opposite is when im outside for example cycling out in the countryside I forget about all forums, and the Internet and the people temporarily dont exist anymore (in my head), Does it take a certain mentality for people to use forums? do you have to be a bit strange or eccentric? I know myself that im not normal but I consider all you other people are.... whistle.gif I once met someone from a forum in reallife and It was really surreal, so I was so nervous, cos my brain acted as tho the person had come from the internet world, they look so differant in reallife too huh.gif but Ive met a few more people from internet and im not so freaked out (from bebo lol ) so Im curious what you normal beings feel when on forums and comparing it to reallife, are people really the same? or an "internet" version of their own self? if that makes sense sad_o.gif if noone understands ill try explain better help.gif

I think you're confusing things a bit, Brattacas... I mean, of course, the Internet is the best dimension for people to be someone else they're not in real life, I believe that many, if not most, act in a "genuine" way as if they'd act in real life, meaning their thoughts and attitudes on the internet are coherent with their thoughts and attitudes in real life. Of course, you have exceptions, as in the case of role-playing games (and of course there are such fun events where real-life people do cosplay and act like their online character would instead of their normal real selves), but I don't think you should feel any different about online entities than the real persons behind the monitors typing on the keyboards smile_o.gif