Sign in to follow this  
Rejn

DC3 Whats it like?

I had a look around for topics regarding Queen's gambit DC3 plane unit in the game.

Is it any good? How many units can it sit? Has anyone got a pic of both pilot and rear passenger area?

I might buy Queens Gambit at some point.

Thanks.

Answers only a few of your questions, but I hope it helps nevertheless.

Note that in the pilots map pocket there appears to be a Sahrani Map and a copy of 'Flying For Dummies'. smile_o.gif

PC Spec; C2D 6600 with 2 gig of ram, 8800GTX running XP Pro

Freetrack 2.1 with 4 point LED cap.

Arma/QG running with most details set to high or better.

teamspaff video

thanks for the vid, looks pretty cool biggrin_o.gif

apparently, from what i'm reading in the QG feedback thread, the aircraft is not really finished - one of the big bugs is that it has problems taxiing on the ground, namely, turning. apparently you'll go very wide off the paraiso airstrip if you attempt to turn a 180 with it.

the thread also has pictures of the interior - it looks like it has standard airline passenger seats in the back - so it dosent have a bare cargo hold or inward-facing seating like a C-47 or anything. shame, really. it would have been so much more versatile like that.

thanks for that video clip smile_o.gif . really makes me wanna buy QG. but then again, i've heard a lot about bugs and the unfinished DC3. is it really that bad?

Well, you can't get out without ejecting (and that throws you in the air like a ejector seat), then once you're on the ground, you can't get back in it. At the moment it's good for a bit of eyecandy and not much else really. Still, its nice to have a civvy aircraft.

The plane itself looks good, but yesterday as i played on the SES-QG Server the Evolution map, the DC3 sounds like a car imho. I always checked for incoming cars before i realized that it was just that plane.

Don't know if it was a bug, but as the unmanned plane stood on the runway, it kinda bounced the hole time... huh.gif

Well, you can't get out without ejecting...

Try turning the engine off wink_o.gif . Noticed that with the other planes. Engine on - you can only eject. Engine off - you can get out normally.

I don't have QG yet, I'm just basing this off what I've experienced in the other aircraft.

bounces for me too, as well as that causing it to be nearly impossible to get out of it when on the ground.

considering it took me 20 seconds to notice that problem, it's odd that it wasn't spotted by BIS or whoever made it. It's rather glaring, UNLESS it works fine in 1.09, which I guess could be forgiven.

Yes, the DC-3 is buggy.

The Transition from approch sink rate to statt happans to quick, makes slow approaches at unprepared airfiels difficult.

The whole model is jittering when stationary, resulting in jumping when parked outside the large airport surface.

The only option of getting out ist EJECT...this works only when engine ist running...after ejecting the plane often runs away and crashes into something.

The ground handling is...there ist no ground handling...A.I. can't handle ist as well. There is no way to turn the aircraft around...the Ground turning radius semms to be the same as in flight.

A.I. exept civilians refuse to board it...for sure they know why...*g*

The DC-3 In my opinion mainly a animated prop lol.

It has bugs like the landing and for me i cant seem to disembark it ..... aswell as other small things, like the texture on the door is horrible.

Its is good for cutscenes as a prop though rofl.gif

It looks good, but when you fly it youll notice its pretty much meant to be used only by AI, its just as clumsy and arcadeish as any other plane, its not a plane sim smile_o.gif

Is it used in any cutscenes in the Queen's Gambit missions?

Yes, it's bouncing around some mercenaries on the main Sahrani airfield.

It looks good, but when you fly it youll notice its pretty much meant to be used only by AI, its just as clumsy and arcadeish as any other plane, its not a plane sim smile_o.gif

A.I. can't taxi it. It will crash the DC-3 at the end of the runway.

hehe this thread is one of the main reasons why i wont buy QG. I bought ArmA, i rarely play it because i dont believe that its 'polished' or even 'finished enough'.

I decided against buying QG because i thought this would be the case, a bouncing plane which you have to eject from still does not seem to be much of an improvement.

Although i've heard *some* positives about the campaign, but none which say it measures up to/surpasses the OFP campaigns.

The real DC3 has no tail wheel control, and differential braking is not to be used except when absolutely necessary (the brakes fade like you wouldn't believe, and you absolutely do not want them fading at different rates). Taxi in the real thing is accomplished almost entirely with differential engine thrust.

Apparently, ArmA's modeled the lack of tail wheel control, but not much else...

possibly because differential engine thrust isn't possible with this engine?

that's hardly a valid excuse to give the aircraft almost ZERO tailwheel turning, don't you think?

not quite sure what you're implying. I'm not making excuses on behalf of BIS, I've already said the DC3 is woefully unfinished ad untested (well, as far as I can tell)

a DC3 doesn't turn using the tail wheel, but with engine thrust. So with the current ArmA engine you either give it tail wheel turning, which is unrealistic, or you don't which means it can't taxi on the ground.

so you try and strike a midpoint of both. Unfortunately it seems to have failed some what here. Thing is, if they had implemented 100% tail wheel turning so it could taxi efficiently, you know there would be equally as many posts complaining about that.

something that doesn't bounce like a pair of cheap tits, and you can vaguely taxi would do me fine. You never know, perhaps it worked perfectly well in 1.09 (which is what one assumes BIS are testing stuff with) and it might be fine and dandy once that patch is released.

The call for realism at this point is absolutely nonsense because not a single unit is depicted in a realistic way in ArmA, but at least they do work in some way. All exept the DC-3 which is rendered useless by just a few problems.

If you stress the REALISM thingie at this point you will start a avanlanche.

In dont know how good the FM of the DC-3 IN FSX is but at least you can taxi ist around the taxiway corners by using differetial power and differtial brakes.

Next point: DC-3 in Airline use today do often have upgrades components, brakes, engines, instruments...exept those that are keept in original conditions for airshows.

In dont know how good the FM of the DC-3 IN FSX is but at least you can taxi ist around the taxiway corners by using differetial power and differtial brakes.

Yep! Sounds like I'll stick to FSX for flying the DC-3!

I did see QG a few times in different game stores and and very nearly bought it twice! Hmmm! Seems like I saved myself a few bucks then!  whistle.gif