Colossus

Developer's Blog

Great to see a renewed increase in developer blog activity, especially on such interesting topics. I've been wondering for ages what hemispherical lighting is. Now I know, and it is rather ingenious. :)

One thing I would really like to see on the blog is a post about the physics in Arma2, mainly on the concessions that were made to get them working in such large scale environments while fully synched in multiplayer. I think this would go a long way to explaining the percieved deficiencies compared to the physics small-scale action oriented games like Crysis.

Hm, I had forgotten about this thread. Anyways, this new interview was a great read. It's very refreshing to hear it from the side of some of the "new blood" at BIS. Looking forward to the next one!

(The link's broken by the way, colossus. The URL should be http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/company/developers-blog/196-report-in-interview-with-luka-gregor-and-filip-zigo-programmers. ;) )

Edited by Zipper5
URL issue fixed.

Ah, thanks. Problem should be fixed now. Oh btw, would you mind deleting some of my previous posts? (#79, 80 & 81) It looks silly. ^^

Edited by colossus
Thanks

Doing the right thing is more important than doing things right.

It is a wise advice, especially for perfectionists. :smile:

DevBlog

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/company/developers-blog/230-experimental-betas-interpolating-the-future?lang=english

Our lead coder on the problem of visual states between NOW and THEN :)

So are you guys going to continue making significant engine updates within ArmA 2 betas? IMO it's pretty cool to see the engine evolve like this in (sort of) real-time.

Great to see the not so flashy stuff getting attention. Especially player warping.

Wow, finally interpolation for ArmA. If it works it should smooth out things quite a bit (if done for near objects also).

Other games had this for quite a while (CS1.0 comes to mind), but i admit ArmA2 with its huge islands and lots of game objects is a totally different dimension for these problems. :)

Thx for the infos, i see my money has gone to the right ppl. Keep it up!

Added to the main post.

Takker, Sparks! ;)

I wish Španěl brothers and the rest of BI the best of luck for the future. Thank you so much for not quitting when it all seemed so hopeless; and look at the result now! Congratulations. Pivo for everyone! :p

Edited by colossus

nice write-up, amazing that BIS is able to put up a good fight despite the odds and succeed. Good Luck and congrats on 10 years of wonderful OFP.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/company/developers-blog/233-from-flashpoint-to-arma

Thanks for writing a bit about the history, its extremely interesting. And now this crazy patch for this ten year old game... I love it.

Wait, what? A new OFP patch? This is crazy. I literally ONLY LAST NIGHT reinstalled this game. I must track it down :)

I enjoyed the 10-Years-Later blog very much. I'm happy to see that the developers still feel the same way about engine fidelity and ability, even in the face of console development practises. I look forward to the next 10 years, should I still be around :)

BIS you have my full respect ! Great read .

From Flashpoint to Arma

by Marek Španěl (22 June 2011)

10 years gone by already :eek:? Bring another 10 more :p

Thank you BIS, there's no other developer like you.

P.S. You might have wished OFP good bye but you won't get rid of Guba so easily :D