Sign in to follow this  
NonWonderDog

Tank Fire Control Systems

omg, tested it! It's a holy grail for me!  notworthy.gif

now we just need to make abrams loader to do his loading things (anims) and to make it playable (so that player could load ammo), and that T-72 gunner, when inside view of the turret, could see how reloading mechanizm works and to press buttons of the devices inside, to select different ammo, etc...

P.S. i have love this addon!  inlove.gif that T-72 gun eats abramses  rofl.gif

Best addon of the year if you ask me. xmas_o.gif

However, something is wrong here, my FOV seems different from your video clips.

Min magnification:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98....MG]

Max magnification:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143....MG]

Aspect ratio is 4:3.

opteryx,could you show me an external shot of your t-72 to compare to mine...I have the optics overlaid on all externals of the tank and I'm wondering if somethings gone screwy with my install.

opteryx,could you show me an external shot of your t-72 to compare to mine...I have the optics overlaid on all externals of the tank and I'm wondering if somethings gone screwy with my install.

I have it on the M1A1, hang on I'll go see on the T-72 and grab some screenies.

cool thanks dude...also,I can't seen to get this to work with arma extreme1.3...too bad too cause the ambiant sounds would work soo well with this mod.Can ya look into that nonwonder dog???

Fantastic! I love this stuff! Looks like a huge amount of time has gone into this mate. Well done and thank you! yay.gif

Opteryx,...Thats exactly what I see.

My install is patched to latest patch with queens gambet,also running arma extreme.

I've noticed a couple things...any other tank other than the default ,neither the newer optics(old ones showup) or the laseing capabilites show on the tank,But DO show on default but also on external views..With arma extreme,there no optics what so ever.I too have added the event handelers to my @NWD_TankFCS folder.Dunno If thats correct or not?  crazy_o.gif

External views as opposed to turned out views is what I mean btw.Turn outs are fine.

Ah, I never use external view, so I didn't test that. It should be easy enough to fix, so I'll put it on the list.

My screenshots and videos were taken in a 16:10 aspect ratio, which is why they show a wider FOV. In a 4:3 resolution the M1A1 reticle will be slightly off the screen at maximum lead, but it's not too much of a problem. As it is now the Abrams optics are scaled perfectly to 10x power. They should really have almost twice the field of view if you have a 4:3 monitor and ~1.5x the field of view on a 16:9 monitor, but then it would be too hard to see your target. I'm not going to scale it down. The T-72 optics are unfortunately 6x power instead of 8x power because 8x would limit the vertical FOV (and thus the maximum range) too much. I'm looking into fixing this with dynamically scaling optics, but it's going to be hard to do.

The idea for the optics is that you'll be able to add the "NWD_T72_Rangefinder" or "NWD_M1A1_Rangefinder" weapon to any vehicle and it will magically have T-72 or M1A1 optics. This doesn't work yet, as a few places in the code assume you're in the BIS tank. This would require that your tank's optics model has no reticle, however, because I'm pretty sure there's no way to change optics models in script.

This mod should have very little or no effect on the AI. There is one thing I didn't test, though. I set the default ammo in the T-72 to HEF, because the majority of carried ammo in the T-72 is HEF. This might be a problem, because I don't know if the AI is smart enough to switch to APFSDS or HEAT when firing at tanks.

You as the player will probably be at a huge advantage over AI tank gunners now, so I probably will need to look into raising their accuracy. If you've got a bit of practice you can hit targets with the first shot even as your tank is barreling down a winding road at maximum speed -- the AI has no chance of doing that right now.

Ah..ok...good to know.I thought maybe I screwed up somewhere.This really is a milestone for this game btw.Can't wait for a T-90/T-80 to cruise in.I wonder how different their FCS's are?

Good work!

Please check MP compatibility.

There are serious bugs in functionality.

if client has it only, gunner sights are F*D UP.

so i assume server needs it too. think NWD stated that somewhere in the initial post.

Can't wait for a T-90/T-80 to cruise in.I wonder how different their FCS's are?

i have soviet/russian army manuals about T-64/72/80, they are amazing, every part of a tank is described, showed (but in russian language), so i'm planing to pack these and deliver them to NonWonderDog and Kenji wink_o.gif

I'm sure that Kenji needs these for his tank packs... whistle.gif

Unbelievable. I was always bothered by the bland modelling of the tanks in OFP/AA and thought nothing will be done regarding it because it takes too much work, but this is just amazing.

It works very well in Singleplayer as far as i can see.

Me and another bloke just did a un-dedicated server test, and i unfortuanetly i cant say the same thing for this. As soon as a map with M1Abrams gets started (havent tried t72) there is immediate desync which doesnt seem to end. Might test in on a dedicated in a few days too, hopefully the problem isnt persistant.

As far my unedicated guess goes though, if you want anything as complicated as this to work in mp, you will probably have to use COC Network Services.

Keep up the good work

very nice but is there anyway to have new balistics without the fire control system?

Quote[/b] ]very nice but is there anyway to have new balistics without the fire control system?

Yes

That was the plan, but it appears it's not as self-contained as I thought. You were supposed to be able to use just "tankballistics.pbo" if you didn't want the fire control, but I forgot to keep the standard tank magazines in the weapon definitions. So while you can use it on its own, you won't be able to load the main gun.

In the next version, you'll be able to use tankballistics.pbo on its own without any problems.

If it's only the M1A1 that causes problems online, I might have the solution. If the T-72 is broken too, I'm stumped.

Ah..ok...good to know.I thought maybe I screwed up somewhere.This really is a milestone for this game btw.Can't wait for a T-90/T-80 to cruise in.I wonder how different their FCS's are?

I'm not going to say who or when but lets say that they're might be an early model T-80 coming soon which I think would be similar to T-72 optics. wink_o.gifwink_o.gif

The T-80 should have basically the T-72 optics, but there are approximately zero T-80 tanks in Russian service. Most T-64 models (except for the very very new upgraded ones) should use the same optics. All of these tanks should actually have coincidence rangefinders instead of laser rangefinders, but coincidence rangefinders are almost certainly impossible in ArmA.

The T-80B has a completely different sight. I have enough references to make that sight, if there's a demand for it.

The T-80U and T-90 (all models) use the same sight as the T-80B, but also have thermal optics. I have absolutely no idea what the thermal displays look like, but there's no way to simulate them anyway.

I think once the T-80 is released there will be a lot of demand for a proper T-80 optic and I would love to see one, especially since you said that the T-80B optic is used on all tanks from the T-80B up so all we would need to go with them is proper shell loadouts and ballistics.

Edit: I've ran into a small problem, I've setup my tank gunning controls for my gamepad and I agree that it is much, much better, but I can't seem to get the laser designator to work no matter which targeting function I bind my button to in the options.

Fantastic, totally enjoyable, and solid features. Thank you. Really, Thank you.

It's almost totally unfair, the capabilities this has (need to get 'True Range AI' so it isn't soo off balance). In a tight hull down position W of Cayo, I was able to hold off 20 tanks, several Mech infantry platoons, and a AAA section in my single M1, AND was able to advance to closer battle positions without fear of having to reacquire range. Only when I got inside 400 or so meters did they start firing back (and I was low on ammo between the number of attackers and my misses). I like the ammo loadouts and the FCS switchable features. Over the top, great SP addon!

Only hope that you will find a way to get it MP compatible, someday. notworthy.gifinlove.gif

NonWonderDog you are as always doing wonders.... biggrin_o.gif

Havign realistic tank's FCS, made my day. Its a large step toward tank simulation. Now all we need other tanks, such as leopard 2, T-80, T-90, Challanger 2 tounge2.gif

Hey, I was talking with some people on IRC and we worked out a possibility for a tank armor system.

Hull = frontal arc of hull

Ltrack = left side of hull

Rtrack = right side of hull

engine = rear of hull, top of hull, top of turret and rear of turret (weakest parts)

gun = frontal turret arc

turret = sides of turret

Couple this with finding proper realistic deflection values using the built in deflection value in cfgammo (This value takes the armor of what its hitting into calculations) and we will have a fully functioning at the expense of only a few things.

-When the side of the tanks hull is heavily penetrated it may also break the tracks which doesn't seem totally unlikely.

-Shooting the top and rear turret may cause an engine failure, but the armor of these parts would be so thin that anything you are firing at the tank would most likely penetrate and cause it very heavy damage or cause it to explode.

-Guns on tanks would be harder to break.

What do you guys think?

Once Kenji releases his T-64 I'll use this as a testbed/demonstrator of my idea. Hopefully by then NonWonderDog finishes the the addons ability to be placed onto other vehicles.