Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFAI - AI Extension

@xxbbcc: I agree, the downside of action menu entries is that the titles are constantly popping up somehow. I will need to work on a better way to invoke the control panel. But I cannot confirm a "closure" bug - I have seen the addon on two PCs which both worked fine. I had a similar problem a long while back - but that was related to some steering wheel I had connected to my PC.

@gsleighter: the options will be refined further but not down to individual level, that won´t be possible. Ask your guy to drop the RPG and set his threat level to "danger" and he won´t grab anything anymore until "Stay Alert" - consult the readme for more information.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Is there any chance of checking the distance that the AI was hit from, I see it sometimes when I shoot an AI soldier from about 20 metres away and then he starts throwing some smoke and it lands behind me.

Other then that the pack is awesome.

VictorFarbau: the puny animation pack addon had a similar problem: the item in the action menu also popped up in the middle of the screen but then william1 changed something in the config and now it ony appears in the action menu, not on the screen. Here is a link to the thread - the version that has this fix is on the bottom of the page 6:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1;st=75

Would you mind extracting the config from that addon and see how the author fixed it? I'd appreciate it a lot - I like your addon but these action menu "icons" drive me crazy. smile_o.gif

Thanks, I will have a look at their config to check for better options then.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

The config of the puny anim pack uses a more elegant way to add action menu items indeed and they don't pop up all the time anymore.

I adapted my config using the same method and also reworked all 3 addons again enhancing behaviour and performance. This results in Version 2.41 (hotfix) which I uploaded today (updated download link in post 1 as usual).

Regards,

VictorFarbau

If I place AI group with very little ammo plus ammo/special/weapon box only few will rearm in proper way.

If there is a box from the opponent then they don't rearm/change weapons.

Would be good if they get at least 3-5 mags for the primary weapon (incl. grenades for GL).

Changing weapons could be improved eg. if unit has only left one mag (M16) and he find another weapon (AK74) with more than one mag - change weapon (take AK74).

Instead of adding more clutter to the action menu, wouldn't your CP option be better off in the escape menu like the ECS config button ? It's not something that you would use that frequently.

Thanks.

Tested it a bit and it looks great. Nice job. thumbs-up.gif

If I place AI group with very little ammo plus ammo/special/weapon box only few will rearm in proper way.

If there is a box from the opponent then they don't rearm/change weapons.

Would be good if they get at least 3-5 mags for the primary weapon (incl. grenades for GL).

Changing weapons could be improved eg. if unit has only left one mag (M16) and he find another weapon (AK74) with more than one mag - change weapon (take AK74).

I was trying so damn hard to get Blufor to pick up an AK when he ran out of ammo, but he wouldn't do it. I thought it might have been a bug, but maybe it's just not a feature that is in right now or won't be? Any info Victor?

Quesstion:

Can you tell me how to Disable "Wind Info"?

Thanks

Isn't that DMSmokeGrenade? crazy_o.gif

So, there's no way to detect if an AI is in your group and disable the script for that AI?

Excuse my asking but is this AI mod meant to cause the injured soldiers to move to cover when hit as well as pop smoke? I've not noticed if it does, but on most occasions I have seen an enemy get injured, lay down smoke and then when the smoke clears be in exactly the same position as before. I don't know how well the whole 'find cover' type order works anyway...friendly AI don't seem to have much of a concept of cover either. But it'd be far more preferable to have AI lay down smoke and then attempt to withdraw from the engagement while trying to find a medic.

Also, any chance of linking the smoke thing to being out of ammo? Would be nice if it were possible for AI to pop smoke when out of ammo if still engaged by enemy (say if still in combat mode 'Danger' or something).

I have seen an enemy get injured, lay down smoke and then when the smoke clears be in exactly the same position as before.

I'm not sure if this represents the correct answer, but are you using my SmokeGrenadeVB addon? If so, then the viewblock object represents cover, which the AI might be selecting as the best cover.

If not, then I don't know smile_o.gif

I have seen an enemy get injured, lay down smoke and then when the smoke clears be in exactly the same position as before.

I'm not sure if this represents the correct answer, but are you using my SmokeGrenadeVB addon? If so, then the viewblock object represents cover, which the AI might be selecting as the best cover.

If not, then I don't know smile_o.gif

I have been using your addon yes. I get rather a performance hit though with the smoke when platoon size engagements occur, hence my asking about the cover thing. I'd prefer to remove the automatic smoke grenade thing but only if the AI still make some effort to protect themselves when injured.

Quesstion:

Can you tell me how to Disable "Wind Info"?  

Thanks

Isn't that DMSmokeGrenade? crazy_o.gif

EEK! Thanks I didn't know where it came from, I will ask them.

Seems like I owe you a couple of answers:

@rg7621 - I will check with an M16 soldier and a dead AK74 unit. Yes, the M16 soldier should definitely grab the AK74 if he's out of ammo. Then again, often soldiers shout "out of ammo" as soon as they load their last magazine - but they still have 30 shots left so VFAI won't kick in yet.

@Q - I am using Gaia's debug console all the time so I will have a look there, too. Thanks.

@gsleighter - no currently there's no way to do so currently. The whole concept of this addon was to improve gameplay by modifying behaviour - not of single squad members but of the whole game. The less input required by a user the better. Full autonomous descision making based on environment and situation. The CPanel is only meant to en/disable the whole thing if it really disrupts gameplay. That's the current concept at least.

@DataPlague - VFAI.Smokeshell only modifies the "hit" behaviour of units. When hit units will (try to) determine the threat direction and throw a smokeshell, that's all. No finding cover (unit would probably run out of smoke cover while finding cover anyway), no popping smoke when out of ammo. Just a plain hit-eventhandler.

Hey, take the addon and feel free to tailor this for your needs. Let me know if you find different behaviour useful in a bigger context. While writing the VFAI parts I was getting more and more careful putting in all sorts of features. Often I found them to be more disrupting rather than enhancing gameplay. Just food for thought.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

I like the Control Panel very much. Although it collides with LSD_falseprophet console. After installing the your console it doesn't show falseprophet's console in the action menu, unless you are in a vehicle. Any idea how to fix this?

Also I have a suggestion: let AI not only drop empty weapons, but let them disembark static machine guns (i.e. M2) when it's empty. But don't let them disembark when machine guns that are mounted on vehicles (especially in tanks).

It happens that an AI stays in a static machine gun although it's dry and doesn't disembark to use his own rifle. So he gets shot, what is stupid. (I.e. delivery boy mission)