Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFAI - AI Extension

== Current development has ceased. VFAI will be continued in Arma II. See you in Chernarus. ==

Current version is 2.6 - release date 24.May.2009

Revision 2.6 adds ACE compatibility and improves the control panel and code. I don't use ACE a lot but since so many people do I wanted VFAI to be as compatible as possible. I'd be interested to hear whether anybody finds weird bugs due to VFAI. Please post them in this thread and I'll have a look at it. Needless to say that this VFAI release runs with or without ACE alike.

The addons require "Extended_EventHandlers" © by Solus (included in the archive).

VFAI consists of 3 independent addons

1. VFAI_Equipment enables units to independently equip themselves with weapons and ammo from dead bodys. Further information and details included in the readme file. I advise you to read the readme file - it might explain some behaviour you wonder about. Installation: read the readme file (it is easy).

2. VFAI_Smokeshell will cause units to throw smokeshells whenever they're hit. They will try to throw smoke into the direction of the gunner to block his view. More details in the included readme file. *Installation: read the readme file (it is easy). All units will then be equipped with 1 smokeshell and will know when to use it.

Attention ACE Mod users: ACE uses additional "Hit" event handlers to simulate gunshot wounds. It might interfere when both addons try to process the hit event at the same time. I got stuck only once in a seemingly endless animation loop due to that; but it can happen. If you experience this too often, simply turn off Smokeshell.AI through the control panel or don't install SmokeshellAI.pbo at all.

3. VFAI Control Panel

Using this control panel addon you will be able to switch VFAI addons on and off in the middle of the game. The control panel is moveable (finally) and will indicate which relevant addons are being found (Equipment, Smoke, ACE Mod), hence some options will or will not be selectable.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

VFAI current version download link (Megaupload)

OLDER YOUTUBE VIDEO SHOWING VFAI

VFAI history

Revisions

VFAI Control Panel v2.6

- More decent design + moveable interface

- Autoconfiguration of options based on addon presence

Equipment.AI v2.6

- Bug resolved (Grenades not taken)

- ACE classes dynamically added if ACE is deteced

Smokeshell.AI v2.6

- ACE smokeshells used (if found)

2.5 Major change: New control panel, Equipment.AI can now be turned on/off for each group (by group leaders)

2.41 numerous fixes in all addons (see included readmes)

2.4 Major release, ControlPanel included, reworked Equipment.AI to kill bugs, signed all addons with key VICFA (see OFPEC)

2.3 Corrected dedicated server bug

2.2 Added compatibility to XEH (Solus' Extended Event Handlers)

2.2 Split Equipment.AI and Smoke.AI into 2 independent addons

2.2 New options included, bugs corrected

2.1 Not released

2.0 Code completely revised and optimized, improvements made

© 2008 Victor Farbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

Sorry for starting a new topic for this one. But I got this now error-free in MP as well and added functionality. Would like to extend this more in the future.

I simplified the usage, the paramter version drove me nuts and caused several errors. The way it is used now is simple - you place the addon and off you go. Alternatively you can use any @Addon directory if you rather en- or disable it as needed.

I use the Smokeshell version together with @DMSmokeEffects 4.2. This drove my mates crazy during MP, AI was throwing smoke all over the place and snitched magazines and ammo everywhere. Ultimately I was killed by a SpecOp carrying a M16 ACOG nener.gif

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

it seems it works a better than the previous version but there are bugs yet : (not smoke version)

AI unit not part of your team (alone):

-acts instantaneously smile_o.gif

-changes weapons or takes magazines correctly in all cases smile_o.gif

-radium of scan very good smile_o.gif

AI unit part of your team (under your orders):

-it takes time for him to react huh.gif

-doesn't take ammo from a soldier with the same ammo of his weapon (makes gesture but doesn't take ammo) , but he takes another different weapon with ammo from bodies of her side or from the rival side huh.gifsmile_o.gif

- radium of scan ridiculously short (can't see a body at 5 meters from him) huh.gif

fix the second part , specially the last point and it will be near perfect

thumbs-up.gif

I use the Smokeshell version together with @DMSmokeEffects 4.2. This drove my mates crazy during MP, AI was throwing smoke all over the place and snitched magazines and ammo everywhere. Ultimately I was killed by a SpecOp carrying a M16 ACOG nener.gif

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

LOL, I cannot wait to try this out smile_o.gif I was looking forward to your ammo snitching script but this is just great.

I do intend to make DMSMokeEffects both fully MP compatible AND have viewblock objects. I've been taking time out from Smoke Effects editing to enjoy the game, especially now that the excellent Al Jawf map is released.

But I will get back onto it wink_o.gif

This sounds like a very interesting improvement for the AI smile_o.gif

I'll try this out as soon as possible !

It'll get even better with view blocking smoke...

Malick

@DMarkwick - I took the liberty to have a look at your config. I saw that you prepared the usage of viewblocking objects already in there. Are they not working or why did you decide to not use them?

@william1 - I have observed similar behaviour in my group. Only in the first game though, the second round was going splendid. Some of the guys were running low on ammo, ran to dead west soldiers but just stood there. After a while they ran away again. The same behaviour shown by some opfor soldiers whereas others took weapons and mags just fine and other ignored everything around them.

Knowing that it is the very same script running on all of them I can only conclude that there is a conflict with pending orders and AI status of some kind. This is generally the risk when interfering with the AI engine on a higher level w/o having real control over the unit.

The current scan ranges are (quoting from top of my head) 30m for ammo and 60m for weapons which is almost too much in my mind - don't wanna have units running around everywhere just for a mag. It should more be like using the opportunity and not being the big harvester.

I guess only more observations will help me to work around this if at all possible. There seems to be a good amount of random in there.

VictorFarbau

Before I install this for my team, I need to ask you something. Did I understand it right, that civilians search place for weapons?! Thats a no-go and every civilian will end up with a bullet in the head if we come accross an armed "civilian"?

@DMarkwick - I took the liberty to have a look at your config. I saw that you prepared the usage of viewblocking objects already in there. Are they not working or why did you decide to not use them?

Well as I mentioned I started them but decided to take time out to play the thing for a while smile_o.gif but in any case the objects CTD the game at the moment. I don't know yet if it's the config or the object that's the problem. The objects are only simple cubes (which I intend to float as particles) but as they represent exactly 10 minutes in Oxygen2 I don't know if they're good objects or not biggrin_o.gif

I guess they'll be the first things I work on when I get back on it.

BTW - I haven't seen any AI throw smoke grenades yet. Do I need to do anything more than simply add the PBO into Addons? One of the readmes mentions having an object with a specific name so I added a flagpole with that name but still nothing yet.

@IceBreakr - if you use that addon all units of class "man" (and that includes civilians) will use opportunities to get ammo and weapons.

@DMarwick - units should throw smoke given 3 conditions:

1. You use the correct addon

2. Units are wounded

3. Units carry a smokeshell (will try to get replacements when empty using the ammo script)

I have seen that working fine - except for the weird AI interruptions that might be caused by cascaded commands given to the AI (like gun pointing to the skies for minutes, units being stuck, units not reacting to commands). The latter I need to work on still to make it more friendly to the underlying AI engine of Arma.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

2. Units are wounded

3. Units carry a smokeshell (will try to get replacements when empty using the ammo script)

I got it going, it seems that it's clashing with one of the other AI enhancers I use. I'll try to track down which one, but the only ones I'm interested in the most are UPS, suppressive fire and realistic range.

What kind of suppressive fire AI enhancer do you use?

And where to download it?

2. Units are wounded

I got it going, it seems that it's clashing with one of the other AI enhancers I use. I'll try to track down which one, but the only ones I'm interested in the most are UPS, suppressive fire and realistic range.

The first pbo version of seconds supression script wasnt multi-init compitable, someone updated it, check the last page of that topic, this might fix some issues. xmas_o.gif

Oh - I have to check that multi-init-"hit"-eventhandler out. Right now I am also just hooking up a "hit" eventhandler which is not really multi-addon friendly.

VictorFarbau

Hey Victor, I know this is your baby & all... as it seems to be working pretty well (once I got rid of some AI addons) I was thinking about this a bit. I think it would make a great addition to the Suppressive Fire addon. Instead of using a hit to initiate a smoke grenade, you could use the "pinned down" level of suprression as a trigger, and even have a 180 degree (with variance) fleeing action some time after the smoke is out.

I would say have any unit pinned down has a 20% chance to throw a smoke grenade, and then a 50% chance of running in the opposite direction (plus or minus 45 degrees or something) after somewhere between 10 -20 seconds. Lots of little random elements to generate realistic behavior smile_o.gif

Any good to you?

DMarwick - "My baby" is more the equipment AI stuff. The smokeshell usage is a mere necessity for me. It is a rather primitive script. But I did not find a satisfactory external solution for that. In the other AI enhancers I tried through time smokeshells were rarely if at all used - certainly not in such a tactically smart way that you proposed.

So less focus on that for me right now - more focus on making equipment AI more reliable and smart. But what about this - if you get the Viewblock objects to work (send me a version and let me see whether it also causes CTD for me) I'll integrate the usage right into your addon...?

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

DL Link and information updated in first post. Included launchers now.

Regards,

Victor Farbau

Revisions

=======

1.0 Initial release

1.1 Corrected MP bug, increased scan range, improved speed, added "Smokeshell" version

1.2 Included secondary weapons (M136, RPG, Stinger, Strela, Javelin)

Ill put this here because it seems to be the most relevant...

How hard would it be to simplify the AI? Not make them dumber or anything, but remove some coding that seems to bog them down. like, not drop to the ground after every shot, stop thinking somuch in general.

Its terrible to see them in the middle of a street dropping to the ground, getting up, dropping to the ground, then running for cover...

They seem to be programmed to think too much... I just wonder if theres a way to make them just a bit more decicisve and just run for cover OR drop to the ground and start firing...

Things like that... The AI is a hog, and to me, I think they dont need much of the coding that they have (in all honesty i dont know the extent of their code, I just know they look ridiculous and I think its due to them trying to do too many things at once)

This is talking about standard AI< not yours, I like yoursr. smile_o.gif

i love this, its on the gol server makes it much more interesting. biggrin_o.gif

I noticed that the AI in my squad refuse to stay in the building possition I order them to stay. They move there, but then they follow me wherever I go. If I take this addon from my folder they stay where I say for them to stay.

I'll have a look if is a conflict with another addon, but in the mean time some one could chek this out, because everything els is A1.

Nice job Victor.

Nice addon...but...: wink_o.gif

Noticed about the same bug, ordered the AI to mount a truck and they jumped right of it again, time after time the stubborn bastards. Without your addon the sat down as they should.

/Abbe

I got a "missing ;" error in second-suppression_1.sqs or somesuch.

I also got a config.bin error for cfgWeapons but I cannot definitely lay that last error at the suppression script.