Sign in to follow this  
an_enlarged_stomach

su-34

Ok... I searched but got nothing.

Just a simple question: can su-34's AA missiles lock on to land targets in real life? In Arma it can, so I'm just curious.

no

my guess is that it would have to do with radar modes..

like while in air to air mode it cannot lock to surface targets,

and while in air to ground mode it cannot fire air to air weapons. but dont quote me on that i just know it isnt possible, just like a-10 thunderbolts dont even have air to air radar modes but in all games they do.

older generation heat seekers may have been able to lock onto a heat signature im not sure...but radar guided shouldnt lock onto them

generally speaking, it's how the engine is set up - in OFP, there was only two settings with homing targetting systems - either they can only target something on the ground, OR they can hit anything - including airborne targets. try it - it's possible for an OFP aa trooper to lock his weapon onto a tank/truck/jeep/house whatever - but the weapon usually didn't do much damage to warrant wasting a round on such a target. not sure if ArmA AA troopers can still target ground,  but ArmA can still let air-launched missiles target ground. it's just a limitation of the engine, i guess - it dosen't allow a true 'attack airborne only' missile.

in real life, theoretically speaking, any air-to-air missle could lock onto a ground target - BUT usually the surrounding terrain provides so much interference that it generally wouldn't work.

weapons that attack both ground and air effectively are usually things dreamed up by games developers for arcadish flight games like ace combat.

(btw the harrier's sidewinders can also hit ground - four missiles can just take out a shilka, IIRC)

4 winders to take out a Shilka?Jeez Shilka doesn't have any kind or armor a single at4 or an oldest law will do the drill disabling the tank,you can even damage it using 7.62 bullets.Weird game

sure, air to air missiles can be used to nail ground targets, but it's an extremely expencive way of getting them ....

some of the problem lies in the flightmodels of aia to air missiles, and, not to mention the warhead of them, an air to air missile are designed to spread a huge ammount of titaniul\steel pellets in the air ( mutch like a frag granade ), wile an anti tank missile usualy have a shaped warhead designed for armour penetration, and air to ground missiles have less fragments, more explosives.

that being said, there have actualy been recorded an air to air kill with an atg missile once ( that i can remember, might be more ), but i would recomend that either, could just as well fly right into the other plane i gues...... nener.gif

in real life, theoretically speaking, any air-to-air missle could lock onto a ground target - BUT usually the surrounding terrain provides so much interference that it generally wouldn't work.

Radar AA missiles rely on AA radar which won't pick up objects on the ground but IR missiles might be able to lock up a ground target if it was hot enough - i wonder if there have been any RL instances of this?

Funny story: I remember speaking to a crab in Germany

(early 80s) who said that the Tornados were having a spot

of bother because their AA radars were picking up speeding

cars on the autobahns and registering them as slow moving

low flying aircraft (maybe BS, I dunno). rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]The passive infrared homing head supports target lock-on before launch. Guidance to the predicted position is by the proportional navigation method. The missile's combat equipment consists of an active proximity (radar or laser) fuze and impact fuze and a continuous-rod warhead. The engine operates on high-impulse solid propellant and has a high-tensile steel case.

Targetting can be done either with radar lock, passively with the seeker uncaged or passively using the EOS(electro optical sight) which has a limit of 67 degrees off boresight. I'm not sure if EOS is fitted to the SU34 but the R73 missile is designed to be used with it. I don't know if you could lock a ground target with EOS but in order to lock it uncaged you would probably need a decent heat source. Even if you did manage to fire an A/A missile at a ground target the results would be not very good against armour for obvious reasons. BTW the AIM9X has an offboresight capability of 90degrees with JHCMS(AV8B) and the A-10 also can carry Aim 9Ms for self protection of course its limited to the HUD to get a lock with the seeker uncaged. I haven't heard of any A/A missiles being used against ground targets but I have heard of aircraft being taken out by A/G weapons eg the Gulf war an LGB took out an Iraqi helicopter, Vihkrs(KA50) can also be used against aircraft as well.

Radar AA missiles rely on AA radar which won't pick up objects on the ground but IR missiles might be able to lock up a ground target if it was hot enough - i wonder if there have been any RL instances of this?

Someone did mention something about this on another forum but there is no mention of it on the internet that can confirm such an incident took place.

Someone did mention something about this on another forum but there is no mention of it on the internet that can confirm such an incident took place.

I seem to recall hearing something too but I don't know whether it was RL or a sim it was done in. Anyway, until its confirmed it's all just hearsay.

and, if we go from heat seekers to arm's ( anti radiation missiles ), the aussies nearly blew up a highway patrol that had a radar controll of passing cars speed,   because it was close to an live fire exersice with harm's being fiered.   system was in auto, but the pilot saw what was about to happend, and did a manual override for the launch control.   think that was 5 or 6 years ago.   *out digging in the newspapers to see if i kan find it *

k,  found one link ( in norwegian, sorry ) about the insident,  it was reported in the norwegian news the 15th.06-2k

Ok... I searched but got nothing.

Just a simple question: can su-34's AA missiles lock on to land targets in real life? In Arma it can, so I'm just curious.

that is also driving me crazy sometimes in OFP/ArmA ! Once I was playing Lock On I always wanted to make it more realistic in ArmA so AA missiles could hit only air aims sad_o.gif((

There have been reports of aircraft flying in formation with bombers and when the jet would fire an AG HARM missile, it would lock onto the air-to-air radar of the bomber turret and hence home in on that.

The odds are extremely small, however, but one must always take care with any type of missile. Make sure you have a proper lock-on and double check your target. IR missiles aren't as susceptible to this as Radar or TV-guided missiles are.

Well, regarding the original question about heatseekers... AFAIK, many especially earlier versions of AIM-9s were "lost" 'cos they locked either to the Sun or its reflection of the water, and instead flew there... tounge2.gif

4 winders to take out a Shilka?Jeez Shilka doesn't have any kind or armor a single at4 or an oldest law will do the drill disabling the tank,you can even damage it using 7.62 bullets.Weird game

To be fair, sidewinders don't have armour penetrating warheads. They have high explosive heads that damage air targets with overpressure and fragmentation.. that said, I'm not sure what kind of RHA penetration a sidewinder would have, and whether it would blow due to a proximity fuse or whether it would ram into the shilka. A sidewinder killing an APC is not a sure thing, but who can say what would really happen.