Sign in to follow this  
rocket

USEC Oil Rig (Alpha Release)

As I have hosted Oil Rig on our Armed Assault.info server, I have tested it and got CTD after having a glimpse of an uncomplete rig and now, with the new buid I can have a full wiew of the rig ... still uncomplete.

I have just added usec_rig_a.pbo and usec_rig_a.pbo.usec.bisign files in my addons folder.

I am playing ArmA 1.08 with QG.

That image is showing only the Base object of the oil rig. So that probably means that the top deck of the oil rig is the problem, as thats what it is rendering for you when it is crashing.

Are you using the supplied map (oilrig.intro.pbo)? or have you created it using the map editor? I would recommend using the supplied map, and editing that should you want to make any changes. It is very important that all rig objects (it is broken into five) sit directly on top of each other. That *may* be your problem.

Ok, that's right ! Working now in Mission smile_o.gif

Trying to testing it in editor is due to my standard procedure for all addon.

Whoops, there is a flying ammo box on 1st level ... in fact hovering between 1st and 2nd !

This rig is looking great, and the feeling is all right, thanks icemotoboy!

After the fast bugfix for the texture size I tried it out and walked around a bit. I reported some smaller bugs already and as I see you have already taken notice.

It's really nice so far and I'm looking forward to the new versions. Great work and thanks for the efforts so far smile_o.gif

After the fast bugfix for the texture size I tried it out and walked around a bit. I reported some smaller bugs already and as I see you have already taken notice.

It's really nice so far and I'm looking forward to the new versions. Great work and thanks for the efforts so far smile_o.gif

Hey thanks heaps for the great and well reported bug fixes. I've found using the trac system makes me deliver addons much faster. Satisfaction of closing off tickets. Appreciate your time taken to add the tickets, it will have a big impact on me being able to deliver a high quality beta. Thanks mate smile_o.gif

Yes good spotting smile_o.gif Scruffy raised an associated bug regarding Fire Geometry on the main deck.

At this stage I haven't made the fire geo, pending finalisation of the existing geo. So the engine is simply using my standard geometry for fire data with is not idea. Please feel free to add any suggestions or bug reports to the Trac site as its a great way for me to keep on top of things.

sure thing buddy i will do that as i will go through it with a fine tooth comb for you & let you know about any other bugs i find if any as it looks so good.

But any way It is one of the sweetest addons ive seen to date regarding buildings ect. well sweet & also well done i looooove it.

This addon is definatly something I'v been waiting to see, something of this type, large structure.

The apartments in arma are good but their a bit too..repetitive, and I like this because there are several area's to explore, hopefully we will see more addons like this is.

I look forward to the next update, the test version is quite fun. wink_o.gif

Its not really a bug in this case but I noticed there are some area's you can't go to and some (in this case bugs) you can go through.

Would you possibly edit the geometry a bit so say for example, the area under the helipad is accessible via crouch/crawl? I could make a good hiding spot. I also noticed that on the second floor where the two pipes go through a hole, you can walk through the pipes but not fall through the hole. I figure you know this already though.

If you do modify the geometry could you fix that so you fall (foolish enough to get near the edge) and possibly fall off the rig by walking through the large holes in the girders on the outside 'walls' of the rig? Sorry if this seems a tad bit confusing or anything, I'm not quite fully awake. crazy_o.gif

I love this addon, imtb - but just a request - can the object be one whole rig in the mission editor - it's cumbersome trying to place all of the pieces of the rig so that it all lines up, etc...

But works and looks great on mine - commando missions - here we come! yay.gifyay.gifpistols.gif

Cumbersome? I had little trouble with it, all you do is zoom in as far as you can in its area and place each part perfectly ontop of the other, it should line up.

can the object be one whole rig in the mission editor

Its only a temporary situation, I am going to generate the remaining parts of the oil rig by scripts after one piece has been placed in the editor (for the beta).

I'm actually going to split the rig into more parts, and give them destructable values, so placing one item in the editor will become even more important. What I did was place one item, open the mission in text editor, and copy and paste the location values so they were all in the same place.

can the object be one whole rig in the mission editor

Its only a temporary situation, I am going to generate the remaining parts of the oil rig by scripts after one piece has been placed in the editor (for the beta).

I'm actually going to split the rig into more parts, and give them destructable values, so placing one item in the editor will become even more important.  What I did was place one item, open the mission in text editor, and copy and paste the location values so they were all in the same place.

Interesting imtb - do you have dum-dum instructions on how to do that?

Thanks mate for your help wink_o.gif

Stew

Just place the base first then stack the others on top.

Btw...Dont place the rig to far offshore...Mine went

under surface of water rofl.gif

Thing the rig is excellent but just have one problem with it. Could you make the base of the rig longer so it can be placed out at sea rather than having to be placed in the shallow water just of shore just think it would make more sense.

oh and the ladder from the pontoon deck to the first deck doesnt work im not talking about the ladder in the water. but over all very good work look forward to the beta thumbs-up.gif

firefoxlover.gif

The lowermost ladder won't work but the second deck and top deck ladders work, also one ladder going up the drill (I think that is what it is...) works, the second is unaccessible.

And yeah I found that out about the water too, it was actually pretty neat to be honest, if only we could somehow walk under water with some sort of pressurized suit addon and without HDR glaring us in the face.

Damn good addon this, very impressed. smile_o.gif Looking forward to future versions.

EDIT: Most of the ladders worked for me... Love the way it feels like theres a huge rig above you on the lower gantries.

the ladder im talking about is between the bottom docking bay and the floor above. the ladder works when you go down it but when you try to climb up the ladder when you reach the top you fall down. This could just be my settings or something like that pistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]the ladder im talking about is between the bottom docking bay and the floor above.

Yeah, I have the same problem - so it's a definate bug.  In a bug report someone was kind enough to include a description of how to fix it so I shouldn't have any problem at all with that for the beta!

Quote[/b] ]Is there any chance to get this to OFP?

I'd say its unlikely, but I would be happy to release my source files (.max) to someone serious about doing it.  My intention is not to spend too long on this, as it was really a practice to learn the ropes of modding for ArmA (static object, tiling textures).

Quote[/b] ]Could you make the base of the rig longer so it can be placed out at sea rather than having to be placed in the shallow wate

Agreed.  Its actually a difference between patch 1.05 and 1.08, at the time I was using a dual boot system and only had 1.05 installed on my development boot.  I believe I can configure it to work correctly for 1.08.

There's a staircase somewhere between one of the lowerlevels where your head gets stuck, but I forgot to take a sceenshot

otherwise it's f**cking amazing and as soon as it's finished I want your babies

Quote[/b] ]the ladder im talking about is between the bottom docking bay and the floor above.

Yeah, I have the same problem - so it's a definate bug. In a bug report someone was kind enough to include a description of how to fix it so I shouldn't have any problem at all with that for the beta!

I know the one you're talking about, the second lowest one under the rig, though thats not a bug as much as it is an engine 'quirk', it would be nice if instead of taking a step backwards, the soldier took a step forward.

I'v falling down a few ladders thanks to that little quirk in various structures.

I'm guessing you will be adding a block of some sort so you won't fall but you can go through it when climbing up and down as the fix?

Just place the base first then stack the others on top.

Btw...Dont place the rig to far offshore...Mine went

under surface of water rofl.gif

to prevent this issue from happening cant the oilrig maybe be configed as a ship?? biggrin_o.gif Man it would be fun to sink the sucker when you got people running about, anyways tested it for 20 mins yesterday with a friend in lan @ school and it was great fun! thumbs-up.gif

Im thinking of one of the old old james bond movies where the bad guys have a oilrig setup and in the end scene they get attacked by huey's and marines pistols.gif

Yeah i also noticed at one of the floors where there are windows and i shoot through them there seemed to be invisible wall that stopped the bullets tounge2.gif