Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

Hey matt, in that picture what is that black stuff topwards the right???

i know i sound like an idiot tounge2.gif

Vegetation, this is one of the reasons I could not use a real satellite image, the vegetation is completely desaturated and has a very dark contrast. Would take ages to edit out properly in PS, at least for me.

Opteryx : our server reported Out of memory yesterday, I guess you map is just too huge to handle. We're upgrading memory this week wink_o.gif

We then played on hosted PC, 4 mission campaign, 11 players, pix coming soon....

Great compilation screen there Topas  wink_o.gif

Thx, I specially like the part with the T-72.. one of my riflemen jumped onto it while it was charging our positions.. call that bravery rofl.gif poor guy died few second later when the tank blew up hit by a supporting AH-1.. most stupid thing that ever happened to me in ArmA

(ok, enough and sorry for spamming)

SERVER INFORMATION!

When we go to the load GOL Server with the map for the first time the server shutsdown and reports an error message out of memory. We then restart the server and try again and it loads. Once it has loaded for the first time after a server restart the map loads quite fast.

We are Running a Windows Server Without Server Signature Checks

Edit Sometimes it does load stright off if one player connects to the server and loads the island into the cache then all players can join and map loads much faster after that. smile_o.gif

Looking for big coop? Check the User Missions Section of this forum. i posted a big coop.

Opteryx & co: here's the gallery of yesterday MP session in Sakakah. We love it, even if its open beta =)

Ice breaker.. I see u got diff units in there texture etc wise.. Is there anyway to use johny's desert marines ? i can use desert wep addon i guess but do u need proper replacement packs to use a new unit like that..

cheers,

I can't get this to load at all on a dedicated server.. (e6600/2gb ram/winxp pro sp2).

Hard drive just keeps trying to cache the island.. I left it run until I received the 'out of memory' error. Tried a different dedicated server and same results. Played around with maxmem settings (-512, -768, -1024) to no avail.

For your reference, the only other island that has this same issue is Gardinas Island. Other large user made islands i've tested such as Iran/Iraq Border don't have this issue.

This truly is the best large scale city fighting map out there - Op, I hope you can figure out what's causing problems on dedicated servers.

I can't get this to load at all on a dedicated server.. (e6600/2gb ram/winxp pro sp2).

Hard drive just keeps trying to cache the island.. I left it run until I received the 'out of memory' error. Tried a different dedicated server and same results. Played around with maxmem settings (-512, -768, -1024) to no avail.

For your reference, the only other island that has this same issue is Gardinas Island. Other large user made islands i've tested such as Iran/Iraq Border don't have this issue.

This truly is the best large scale city fighting map out there - Op, I hope you can figure out what's causing problems on dedicated servers.

I wonder if packing and binirizing the addon with the BIS tools would help with that issue? Or maybe that's already been done.

Pretty strange, since these user islands with this problem are actually smaller and less demanding than Sahrani.

hmm the AI don't seem to recognize ANY objects and can't pathfind. I ordered my team to move to the middle of a road and they got stuck on a building, and you can't also say move to that x.

hmm the AI don't seem to recognize ANY objects and can't pathfind. I ordered my team to move to the middle of a road and they got stuck on a building, and you can't also say move to that x.

You using Any AI mods, as the AI work great here.

I find the AI navigates excellently in CTI missions.. wheeled vehicles tend to stick to roads, I don't think i've ever seen a tracked vehicle get stuck yet.. and of course the infantry has no problems.

Actually, I wish the infantry would get stuck every once in a while - the sneaky buggers. banghead.gif

To opterix:

Major problems with pathfind all over the town even when playng in blocks with large space between buildings.

sometimes your troops make a complete walkaround of a block to get on the opposite side instead walk trough the buildings

Anyway very enjoyable map because you can make great urban warfare missions.

Should be perfect to have a more dense envirorment around the map and QG contents will be perfect especially for vegetation!!

An idea about the next release of the map?huh.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Not sure if any TrueMods affected it. The AI seems OK they just tend to get stuck when fighting in alleys every once in a while.

my ai can handle parts of the city well. But if they need to pass a wall/fence to get to another area the leader will walk alongside it with half his squad to the non walled side in formation, the others are left stood facing the wall and dont move.

I think Matt Rochelle tried Bin'ing it and when he previewed it, the ground textures was missing and it was just white.

We are having problems trying to start it up, after a short while trying to load it, it crashes with an out of memory error.

I wonder if packing and binirizing the addon with the BIS tools would help with that issue? Or maybe that's already been done.

I suspect that lack of binarized config and proper PBO packaging may be the primary culprit here.

Pretty strange, since these user islands with this problem are actually smaller and less demanding than Sahrani.

There should be no reason at all that actual size of terrain and textures are the cause of this, especially considering the settings are identical to Sahrani, the only difference is infinite extrusion of terrain at the map edge.

Now here's the reason why I might go bald within the next couple of weeks..

Currently (as mentioned before) the roads are laid out as individual objects, cause of this is due to previous Visitor version did not have a working road tool. This is more than likely having a severe impact on AI pathfinding. Now however it is working, BUT seeing as the road construction in ArmA is severely restricted in it's modulability due to roads just being objects connected via anchoring points, I face a big dilemma as to whether give up, or make a big compromise.

An example would be with an uneven intersection where's not all (or any) of the arms are pointing at a perfect 90 degree angle. This may and probably will force me to break up bigger networks into smaller sections to make roads correlate better with surrounding objects and the real world template I'm using.

It may be regretful and still cause complications for AI, but it's is the best alternative I have. Only solution would either for BIS to implement spline based road construction in a future engine version, or add bigger selection of road curves. It seems that even shinRaiden has been pressing BIS to implement spline based road construction, but they seem reluctant to do so for various reasons. We can only hope ArmA2 will feature this because I do not know if I have the mental capacity to handle the level of stress I face with this problem.

To opterix:

Major problems with pathfind all over the town even when playng in blocks with large space between buildings.

sometimes your troops make a complete walkaround of a block to get on the opposite side instead walk trough the buildings

Anyway very enjoyable map because you can make great urban warfare missions.

Cannot say I have seen such extreme deviation in the AI's pathfinding, certainly not with infantry.. maybe vehicles..

If you're seeing incompatibility issues with other addons I'd appreciate it reported so that I may at least inform others about it.

Should be perfect to have a more dense envirorment around the map and QG contents will be perfect especially for vegetation!!

QG content is being added, but I do not see myself adding much of the vegetation from QG, this mainly because it seems to have a rather high impact on frame rates.

An idea about the next release of the map?huh.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I think you all know the answer to that question. wink_o.gif

QG content is being added, but I do not see myself adding much of the vegetation from QG, this mainly because it seems to have a rather high impact on frame rates.

Perfect notworthy.gif

Only great island addon that doesnt have vegetation!

I *so* hate trees and bushes and the like, even on 8800 it only takes 1 of them and FPS goes like BOOOM all the way down to 25-30 confused_o.gif

I dont mind resistance vegetation tho, it still runs so smooth and looks good enough, no need for fancy oblivion-like uber-detailed bushes and trees!

Perfect notworthy.gif

Only great island addon that doesnt have vegetation!

I *so* hate trees and bushes and the like, even on 8800 it only takes 1 of them and FPS goes like BOOOM all the way down to 25-30 confused_o.gif

I dont mind resistance vegetation tho, it still runs so smooth and looks good enough, no need for fancy oblivion-like uber-detailed bushes and trees!

To Grodin:

1)Completely don't agree with you!! So... I would like to know your opinion about Sahrani wich is covered for 70% by forests and various vegetation objects which give to the island an incredible environment to play in.

2)Anyway I know the problem of the slowing frame with vegetation ...it's true!

But it's hard for me to belive that a single tree or a few veget. like al jawf beta is the main cause of a decreasing performance especially if you're using 8800 serries!

I don't face se same problem probably because I run ArmA with a 7950 GX2 wich has a double double pcu and also on Sharani with very high settings and a decreasing frame the game is smooth enought and has a great fluidity!

3)I think that the main thing that make the difference between ArmA and OFP is the environment! For the rest a lot of bugs and problems coming from OFP are still present in ArmA.

If you start to replace also vegetation with the OFP one to reduce lags problems excuse me, but... why have you bought ArmA? ? ? ?

That's only my personal opinion man don't missunderstand me!

I knew before buy this game looking at the screens on the web that to run it I would have to buy a pc with great requirements to avoid the lags problems i had with OFP!

Concerning vegetation, overgrowth will remain more or less in the same density/quantity. Might add some undergrowth from QG here and there if it does not have a severe impact on FPS.

What will most likely be upped is the objects density/quantity, I do not think I need much more vegetation coupled with that, it would certainly destroy most peoples FPS, including mine.

Concerning vegetation, overgrowth will remain more or less in the same density/quantity. Might add some undergrowth from QG here and there if it does not have a severe impact on FPS.

What will most likely be upped is the objects density/quantity, I do not think I need much more vegetation coupled with that, it would certainly destroy most peoples FPS, including mine.

Yes exactly,

the undergrowth veget from QG was the one i wanted to talk about when i talked about more density!

To Grodin:

1)Completely don't agree with you!! So... I would like to know your opinion about Sahrani wich is covered for 70% by forests and various vegetation objects which give to the island an incredible environment to play in.

But it's hard for me to belive that a single tree or a few veget. like al jawf beta is the main cause of a decreasing performance especially if you're using 8800 serries!

I don't face se same problem probably because I run ArmA with a 7950 GX2 wich has a double double pcu and also on Sharani with very high settings and a decreasing frame the game is smooth enought and has a great fluidity!

3)I think that the main thing that make the difference between ArmA and OFP is the environment! For the rest a lot of bugs and  problems coming from OFP are still present in ArmA.

If you start to replace also vegetation with the OFP one to reduce lags problems excuse me, but... why have you bought ArmA? ? ? ?

I knew before buy this game looking at the screens on the web that to run it I would have to buy a pc with great requirements to avoid the lags problems i had with OFP!

No not on this island but if there would be lots! And one is too much if you zoom in close enough!

I dont find sahrani incredible to play in.. thats why i dont play on sahrani :/ Original islands are way too flat for any other than city fights anyway! Some addon islands seem to have nice & realistic height maps coming, but until that im sticking to city fights!

And i dont see how would replacing anything in arma from ofp help to reduce lag, and im not experiencing any lag at all anyway so i dont quite see your point on this, or your point on 8800 series or new computer having anything to do with lag..?

However if you mean why would i want to take stuff from ofp but still bought arma?...well because arma has some issues with the new vegetation, wich makes it almost impossible to run dense areas with stabile and good (+50) fps, i like it in most other ways more than OFP. OFP:R Vegetation would look just nice and still have much less hit on FPS smile_o.gif

To Grodin:

3)I think that the main thing that make the difference between ArmA and OFP is the environment! For the rest a lot of bugs and problems coming from OFP are still present in ArmA.

No not on this island but if there would be lots! And one is too much if you zoom in close enough!

I dont find sahrani incredible to play in.. thats why i dont play on sahrani :/ Original islands are way too flat for any other than city fights anyway! Some addon islands seem to have nice & realistic height maps coming, but until that im sticking to city fights!

And i dont see how would replacing anything in arma from ofp help to reduce lag, and im not experiencing any lag at all anyway so i dont quite see your point on this, or your point on 8800 series or new computer having anything to do with lag..?

However if you mean why would i want to take stuff from ofp but still bought arma?...well because arma has some issues with the new vegetation, wich makes it almost impossible to run dense areas with stabile and good (+50) fps, i like it in most other ways more than OFP. OFP:R Vegetation would look just nice and still have much less hit on FPS smile_o.gif

Maybe i express myself bad from the beginning talking about dense vegetation.

What i wanted for this map is more undergrowth around the town for ambushes or IED traps, certainly not a town completely covered by forest.