Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

Well considering QG content is not implemented yet, I'll take wild guess and say it's not needed for current version. whistle.gif

ok then let's hope this one is bugfree tounge2.gif

anyway congrats on making this is very nice!

Cheers!

This city is pretty good so far, my only complaints are that the AI seems to be mentally deficient when it comes to driving down the roads.

I even tried to make a video and mission that brings some life to the city with sounds/civilians but unfortunately I don't really know how to make either. http://files.filefront.com/saudiwmv/;8777269;/fileinfo.html

tried the map and its one of the few that actually gets me lost while driving around in the city. its pretty big.

it feelt a little boring with same types of houses in certain areas, i dunno but any chance you could mix it out a little? smile_o.gif

I liked the city fighting alot, reminded me of some of the nice ofp islands that had big cities in them.

Great my computer crashed yesterday but I would love to see a new video from an actual battle in the city.

Please dont use Youtube try to upload it instead so we can see the beuaty of this map.

Opteryx notworthy.gif

I wish an addon maker would create some new buildings for this.

Apart from that it is mouth hanging open awesome.

I think an airfield/military base outside of the city would be good and some more detail which im sure your planning to implement like builboards and bins and trash and the like.

Yup, we definitely need police station, maybe a SEFC HQ (FOB) wink_o.gif

We'll do a multiplayer event on Oct 18th (Thursday) to test it out... raids, hostage situation, looking for documents, etc.

Love it I started to sweat when i played this looks really like a HOT place.

I would love to see saraniville mission ported to this - or sakakah al jawf ville as it would be called.

Flying near city, fps 60.

flying over 36-45fps on SP.

So fps is actually great, even that empty HD map haves more actual lag.

Great job mate! notworthy.gif

So far no bugs found.

wont go in small details as it beta.

Ive got a constant 60 fps driving along in a hummve with a bigish mission on the map, well done.

Couple of youchoobs showing the city from the air & the ground.

As I mentioned I get better framerates in this than even on Rahmadi with this exact mission makeup.

Thanks for the videos DMarkwick! They definitively gave me a different perspective, I see some things I want to do now that I haven't though of before.

Mainly add more random objects since you're all reporting such healthy FPS. biggrin_o.gif

Oh I'll make you lag.. :shakefist:

LOL, lagging through kindness biggrin_o.gif

I'm sure this map will just get better & better. I didn't really fly over the rather nice northern district of the town, just the areas where the action happened.

I think one of the great strengths of this map is that there's scope for all kinds of urban conflict, being as there's rather open & spread out areas ranging down to quite dense and twitchy areas.

Yeah, this is truly remarkable. An amazing work. yay.gif

BTW, should you decide to do another video, I suggest the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name." biggrin_o.gif Seriously, I made a quick mission to check stuff out - I was going to ambush a patrol. Well, I got kinda lost. Plus, I think the patrol did, too.

(Maybe street signs?) wink_o.gif

But seriously - just outstanding work all the way around. notworthy.gif

Edit: oh, I've got a middle of the road system, with middle settings, and about a 1200m view distance and didn't have any problem at all. Other than the getting lost bit. thumbs-up.gif

Mainly add more random objects

Further to my above, my own thoughts are that you could apply some doughnutting as far as random scenery goes. In the urban areas it's fine, you're usually too busy to think about scenery, it's really the roads where things look a little sparse. Some of those little garbage piles here & there by the roadside and an overturned car now & then. Places that might make a driver think "IED" smile_o.gif

I think it's the lack of dense vegetation that keeps the FPS high. Or, more accurately, keeps it low on Sahrani smile_o.gif

Hey all.

Got home frm wrk to find this finished D/L'n. To Opteryx, dude, OMFG! I only just did a S to N pass of the map in a heli and had to Alt+tab to say: OMFG! If I have anything useful to say, I'll just edit this post.

Man is my imagination in overdrive!

Yes, this map is a great piece of work. I am sure it will get only better with everyones advice. The only trouble that I can see for now, is tanks have a hard time staying on the roads. Hmmwv's and 5 tons do not, they cruise on down it fine.

I am going to stay persistent on the fact that we need some insurgents!!! And I know it is not anybodies fault for no insurgents, but I cant believe no one has made any with all is going on in this world. I guess I will keep on having to use my African Militia until I can get my hands across some Radical Islamic terrorists.

If you're really into it, add your own streetsigns with names of different parts of the city. Not only would it look good, it would also help alot wink_o.gif

wow_o.gif

Now that looks awsome. And some says it barely laggs!

Hope you'll convert to ArmA II when it arrives, getting a gamingcomp then tounge2.gif

Great work!

Did a double-take when I saw the name of this map; were you already aware that Al Jouf (that's how it was spelt on our maps) was the UK SF base during GW1? I operated Chinooks out of there from 14 Jan 91 through to the first week of March. The airfield, which as you say was well outside the town, was a standard Saudi "cookie cutter" design, identical to the other municipal airports in the area. It'd be fascinating to see the terminal converted to Casualty Reception Centre status, as it was in early 91...

I'm amused with the low lag.

It runs VERY smooth, it's awesome!

Man, this map is very good.

Hey guys believe it or not I've ported a crCTI game into this map. Works pretty nice too as far as I can tell

Having trouble uploading it but I'll get it up somewhere as soon as I can. It's totally not balanced or renamed or anything, just in & working.

Suppose I'd better get permission first? I'm not blagging any credit in any way at all, just popping out a CRCTI mission.

I'm having problems running missions on a dedicated server with this island.. hard disk just runs forever and doesn't load the mission for clients.

I'm having problems running missions on a dedicated server with this island.. hard disk just runs forever and doesn't load the mission for clients.

Linux?