Sign in to follow this  
twisted

bipods as a beginning

Hi. I'd like to bring up for discussion and consideration the use of bipods in ArmA2.

In ArmA you can get reduced recoil based on your stance. that's brilliant and i say thanks BIS for such a needed feature.

however i think that deployable bipods should be implemented at the same time. And by that i mean that when the bipods are deployed they affect the weapons handling.

deploying bipods takes time and slightly reduces the 'maneuverability' of the weapon while standing/crouching and substantially reduces your ability to move/turn around when lying down. The upside is that it dramatically increases control of weapon and reduces recoil.

an upshoot of this is that it may make it easier to also introduce soldiers using other things (like low walls, rocks,etc) to support their weapons for lower accuracy too.

It would also mean that for all those lovely addons being produced, that there'd actually be a reason for having a bipod. Because what's happening now is that the bipods are shown as being folded up all the time.

which introduces the problem of thinking what's the point of having a bipod on it at all then?

i think deployable bipods that actually affect a weapons handling would be a good thing and am interest in users/dev immpressions.

or you could go one further, and implement Red Orchestra style, "rest weapon on anything" feature. But, the chances of me winning the lottery this week is more than the chances of BIS implementing anything like that. By the way, i havent even played lottery this week...

Well, even if we don't get the "rest weapon on X" feature bipods would be really, really nice. And not only would they improve aim, but possily even rise you some off of the ground, so that you can see a bit better through that grass that so nicely obscures the view.

But, the chances of me winning the lottery this week is more than the chances of BIS implementing anything like that.

I hear ya!

I'll probably be an old man before I see a developer put as much thought and effort into game mechanics and features as they do the eye candy. (Enough with that already!!wink_o.gif

To be honest, I could play a game with as dated graphics as Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, if it meant having all the juicy features an "infantry sim" should have, e.g. "bipod everywhere and anytime".

More intelligent AI, and either the direct implementation of those features we keep asking for, or the ability to mod the game so we can put the feature in.

add to pool ability to deploy (rest) weapons like in Red Orchestra OstFront 41-45 / Infiltration ...

For the love of God yes. As long as the weapon doesn't clip through stuff, and can be sat upon surfaces I'd jump for joy.

Yes i agree too.

These improved "Personal Weapons Interactions" like resting and deployable bipods would be great!

IMPLEMENT IT BIS!

For the love of God yes. As long as the weapon doesn't clip through stuff, and can be sat upon surfaces I'd jump for joy.

Same here!

Hell yes. This would be a neat idea.

Hopefully BIS are snooping around here as I speak.

Unlikley but still possible.

Hell yes. This would be a neat idea.

Hopefully BIS are snooping around here as I speak.

Unlikley but still possible.

Hopefully they are working with the code for bipods instead of lurking on the forums :P

Haha. Yeah, but I just meant hopefully they are snooping to get a few ideas like this one.

Hi. I'd like to bring up for discussion and consideration the use of bipods in ArmA2.

In ArmA you can get reduced recoil based on your stance. that's brilliant and i say thanks BIS for such a needed feature.

however i think that deployable bipods should be implemented at the same time. And by that i mean that when the bipods are deployed they affect the weapons handling.

deploying bipods takes time and slightly reduces the 'maneuverability' of the weapon while standing/crouching and substantially reduces your ability to move/turn around when lying down. The upside is that it dramatically increases control of weapon and reduces recoil.

an upshoot of this is that it may make it easier to also introduce soldiers using other things (like low walls, rocks,etc) to support their weapons for lower accuracy too.

It would also mean that for all those lovely addons being produced, that there'd actually be a reason for having a bipod. Because what's happening now is that the bipods are shown as being folded up all the time.

which introduces the problem of thinking what's the point of having a bipod on it at all then?

i think deployable bipods that actually affect a weapons handling would be a good thing and am interest in users/dev immpressions.

Im all for this idea. wonderful idea!!