Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf

Okay, so thought I'd showcase my urban terrain project to you guys since I'm getting close to what would be defined as a beta or whatever..

Sakakah is a Saudi city located in the northern Al Jawf provins, found the city while scouring Iraq (actually) for cities of usable size in ArmA. The city is ca. 50% original size, this is caused for the most part due to game play purposes and some for actually being able to ever finish it, but it's still a pretty big city compared to anything else seen in ArmA.

My main purpose of creating it was to bring something similar to that seen in the VBS terrain modules, but still playable with ArmA's non optimized objects( although that remains to be seen..).

For me personally it runs in a similar frame rate as Sahrani and sometimes even better, I haven't really done much testing but it seems playable.

Anyway here's a few screenies, please bear in mind that it's still early WIP.

Incomplete tactical map:

sakakahtc7.th.gif

Southern area:

33598362qg8.th.gif

Center area:

28569739wh8.th.gif

Random street:

42295160rw3.th.gif

Some ruins:

53564590mh1.th.gif

View from north looking south:

66464360ra2.th.gif

As you've probably have noticed the terrain is rather flat and monotonous, this is due to that Visitor has a bug in the release candidate where's manual terra forming doesn't get saved, this is also a very good reason for me being reluctant to release it at this state, hopefully a full Visitor release is imminent.

Another thing is that the Satellite image looks rather monotonous too, originally I tried using some real satellite imagery, but being a crap PS user didn't get me very far, so reluctantly I had to resort to making my own. I might try and give the Sat map some variation somewhere in the future, but I'm not promising anything due to the fact that it requires some rather good PS skills and is quite time consuming.

Discuss!

WOH!

I cant wait for this!

ive been posting in the WIP section from the day I saw it! biggrin_o.gif

Cant wait man! If you need a beta tester, you know who to come to! tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

Looks very good, I have been looking forward to a big city project for ARMA, as well as a middle eastern themed map.  You offer both in a map, making it even more interesting.

It already has the VBS terrain pack feel to it due to the size.  Looking foward to further progress. smile_o.gif

wow, we might need you to make a baghdad or fallujah! (I think I spelled it right)

wow, we might need you to make a baghdad or fallujah! (I think I spelled it right)

Thats what I was thinking! biggrin_o.gif

You already did GREAT so far!

p.s, dont mean 2 overload you! wink_o.gif

but once again...goodjob

Finally someone else is making large cities for ArmA. Your screenshots look very nice, good work.

Very nice work, Opteryx.

Do you plan to use the Queens Gambit buildings? I think the minaret and TV Station would work fantastically for this city.

Also, do you plan on adding some rural areas?

It looks great, keep up the good work!

Quote[/b] ]Do you plan to use the Queens Gambit buildings? I think the minaret and TV Station would work fantastically for this city.

Yes as soon as those apes at the game stores in my town gets their asses swinging.

Quote[/b] ]Also, do you plan on adding some rural areas?

Yupp.

Mmm very nice work smile_o.gif I can see that there's still a lot of incidental detail to be done there to give it the real-world feel, but man that looks pretty sweet.

It's what Porto should have been IMO, a real urban environment based on real-world detail.

Wow, this is awsome!

I have seen the tactical map for almost 10 minutes dreaming missions in it.

How is the lag? It runs smoth or it's a bit hard to run it well in old geforces (6200 sad_o.gif) like mine?

And, how does the map ends? It's an edge or a shore?

Out of the topic: How much it's a geForce 8600GTS in your cities? Here in Buenos Aires, Argentina it's about us$250 crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]How is the lag? It runs smoth or it's a bit hard to run it well in old geforces (6200 sad_o.gif) like mine?

Doesn't lag at all with me GFX settings almost maxed 7000 meter VD biggrin_o.gif

8800gts tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]And, how does the map ends? It's an edge or a shore?

Infinite terrain.

Quote[/b] ]Out of the topic: How much it's a geForce 8600GTS in your cities? Here in Buenos Aires, Argentina it's about us$250 crazy_o.gif

I have no idea.

NOOO!!

please dont put queens gambit objects into the map!!;-(

it will ruin it for people without the lame expansion!

(me)

<span style='color:darkred'><span style='font-family:tahoma'>That's kickass Opteryx.</span></span>

<span style='color:olive'>Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz

eVGA 680i mobo

2GB's DDR-1000 @ 1070mhz

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB

2xWD Raptor 150GB

1xWD Raptor 74GB (Primary OS)

Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS</span>

Load up the buildings we're bringin the fight to Sakakah Al Jawf   pistols.gif

Impressive work . :)

Edited by Zero_uk

thats armaviz allways bragging about his system

u should make a topic: heres my killer pc, so u dont have to allways

type it into post(expect u have the specs saved in notepad, where u can allways copy/paste) tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

jokes aside thats a nice map there opetryx, 1 thing that annoyes me about about arma ruins is lack of depree around.

thats armaviz allways bragging about his system

u should make a topic: heres my killer pc, so u dont have to allways

type it into post(expect u have the specs saved in notepad, where u can allways copy/paste) tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif

jokes aside thats a nice map there opetryx, 1 thing that annoyes me about about arma ruins is lack of depree around.

btme_lg.gif

Opteryx asked previously...just passin on the info and no they're not saved in a text file somewhere icon_rolleyes.giftounge2.gif  Thanks for the love though.

oohh this looks good... please can you not put the QG stuff in i dont think i'm going to buy it yet

Looking very nice, actually very nice!

one Q, is it do able to make coast? Like yours just keep going and going (the ground), but could it be done that other way ground just keeps going and going and other side sea just keeps going and going? you get my point?

Also, i think i need to start working on 2nd MEF Desert units.

But really really nice work!

NOOO!!

please dont put queens gambit objects into the map!!;-(

it will ruin it for people without the lame expansion!

(me)

Just because you're too cheap to by a 20$ expansion we all have to suffer? Hell no! crazy_o.gif

Anyway looking forward to this map, maybe Alex Sworn's tool will be useful if Visitor 3 doesn't get updated soon.

Indeed, thats the way 'moving forward' works to enhance things. Queens Gambit has a few extra things, the structures could infact add alot to his excellent map considering thier 'type'.

Thats just the way modding works, teams make things with and without expansions, you may not like it, and its just like computers. Either upgrade or be left behind.

Personally I don't see much reason to hold ones self back if more can be done, and I know that sounds rude and arrogant but thats the way it works.

Anyway its looking excellent Opteryx, I hope things go well for you on this beauty.

Wow! Amazing! Very beautiful!! Can't wait for release! notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Please continue your work! That's exactly the thing i was waiting for. Some arabian City's, Urban Warfare, real Iraq-Feeling you know. You are doing a good job. Of course there are still some things to add to get an perfectly ambiance but it's quite well done!

And please use the Queen's Gambit objects! They are really good for your project. Just think of the new buildings of Porto that contain lots of new things like the tower, they could be very useful for this island!

Also would be great if you could finde somebody to add some completely new buildings and objects that would fit into the area around Sakakah Al Jawf. You know what i mean, just a few new buildings, some roadblocks and wrecks, maybe even new street textures (the streets over there are very dusty and damaged), also some new vegetations would change a lot!

At the end some new insurgents would be really cool for realistic firefights, as they are in iraq or somewhere around there. But that's another part of work. Not yours biggrin_o.gif

Really great job!!! Looking forward to!! tounge2.gifinlove.gif

Looking very nice, actually very nice!

one Q, is it do able to make coast? Like yours just keep going and going (the ground), but could it be done that other way ground just keeps going and going and other side sea just keeps going and going? you get my point?

Also, i think i need to start working on 2nd MEF Desert units.

But really really nice work!

It's a very motivating statement for addon makers me thinks.

You know: some of the addonmakers buy tools for about

€2500 - 4500 (Maya - 3DSMAX) just for the sake of making better addons or creating them easier and you are asking for an addon not to hit the €20 limit.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Well the only thing i could imagine is: Opteryx goes for two

versions: one without the QG stuff (when he is finished with

everything before using QG stuff) and one including them.

:edit - oh yeah btw - looks really promissing what you've done

so far.

~S~ CD

It's a very motivating statement for addon makers me thinks.

You know: some of the addonmakers buy tools for about

€2500 - 4500 (Maya - 3DSMAX) just for the sake of making better addons or creating them easier and you are asking for an addon not to hit the €20 limit. icon_rolleyes.gif

<u>Well the only thing i could imagine is: Opteryx goes for two

versions: one without the QG stuff (when he is finished with

everything before using QG stuff) and one including them.</u>

:edit - oh yeah btw - looks really promissing what you've done

so far.

~S~ CD

I've been thinking about two versions, but really, I don't think I have the time and energy to cater for people not willing to buy an expansion pack, so most likely it will require QG. Oh and this is not debatable, I will make up my own mind about this as soon as I have QG.