Sign in to follow this  
luemmel

Your Feedback on Queen's Gambit

The "unpolished" bits of ArmA were down to lack of time more than anything else. It was delayed quite a lot as it was and they needed the money, so they released it. In all fairness I'm pretty sure the campaign worked fine at some point, but when you make changes to the way the engine works you have to go back through every single mission and ensure they act the same way as they did before any changes, which is what I'm assuming they didn't get the time to do properly.

As I've said before, let BIS make the engine, let the community make the content, because there's always going to be someone who isnt happy with what BIS give us. At least if we make it ourselves we know we want it, hell even then people won't always be happy, but that's life. Just think of all the improvements of the engine over OFP. Better collision detection, better scripting engine, more detailed model support, normal map support, HDR, better sound engine with real time distortion based on range and objects/terrain in the way, far larger island support. Technically unlimited sized maps with the terrain streaming. The only limit is the time it takes the fill the space. There's also the added feature of multiple turrets on single models which people were begging for in OFP, but I've yet to see a user made addon which uses this yet.

I think people expect too much from BIS. They expect a perfect engine, then content that every single person alive will be 100% happy with. It's not going to happen. There are very few games in existance which allow users to modify them to the extent you can modify ArmA. The majority of game engines are locked down so make it almost impossible or a waste of time to work out how to mod for. BF2 is a good example. That engine is an absolute joke!

People moaned about the lack of SP content in ArmA, so QG came out and addressed it. There's no "fixes" with it, it isnt a patch. 1.08 FINAL came with it, but nothing new engine change wise. 1.09 is being made now, we'll have it sometime in the near future. No doubt people will be whining it doesnt add any new addons when they can no longer moan about the lack of engine fixes/improvements. This community will always find something to slam.

You got Arma and QG mixed up in there.. i think they did a very good work patching up Arma, a few annoyances remain but the game sure came a long way.

Now your let the comunity do the content remark i'll have to disagree with. People can come up with very nice missions, clever scripts and even nice addons but have you seen a user made addon better than say... BIS A10?

Arma is not OPF anymore, the old we are better than the pro's attitude was dropped a long time ago..

Now on topic:

Arma deserved a great expantion, with new vehicles and weapons, one proper new island and serious looking character models.. i think Royal Flush would probably feel better with standard BLUFOR SF character models than those dumb looking mercZ.

I still like Arma but i see QG as a great oportunity flushed down the toilet...

I say let the community do the addons because the community will make what the community want made. BIS make things they want to make, they'll have different ideas of what to expect than the community. This is seen in most games, especially ones modable even half as much as ArmA is. BIS have given us a great base for new content. The engine and the models they've released. Their models will be far more optimised than the majority of user made content. They give a wider standardised set of models/features to work with.

OFP addons took years to beat BIS quality, and in terms of optimisation it took even longer. Sure things might have looked more impressive, but what do you expect for something released like 3 years later (3 years after OFP I mean)? Shadow NX got it right anyway. It's a business, they need to release purchased content in order to carry on producing new products and supporting old. They can't continue to support and develop things if they don't have the money. It's all down to economic viability.

Today I've finally installed it and started it.

I've decided to try the Ramhmadi conflict first, but to be honest it really sucks !

I did get further than first hill before I gave up.

Then I've started the Royal Flush and... man that thing's impressing !

I'm still at the beginning of the second mission and I can say that I'm very entertained so far.

I also found a easter egg, or however you wanna call it.

jamil_stehlik.jpg

Nothing special ?

Well, what if I tell you that Jamila Stehlíková is a Czech ex-minister of education that recently resigned biggrin_o.gif .

Guest Ti0n3r
I just got Queens Gambit, I must be Blind but I cant find the Mercs? huh.gif

Make sure you use -mod=DBE1 in ArmA target field. The PMCs should then appear under BLUFOR in the editor.

I just got Queens Gambit, I must be Blind but I cant find the Mercs? huh.gif

you also should have gotten a new desktop icon, which starts QG.

Bad IA always.. they still can't drive vehicle well, they still can't be operationnal alone, they still fire through bush, tree (soon building ?). That results on poor missions where you must do lots of thing because they can't "think" and "act" to do the missions objectives.

The campaigns are little bit stupid. For Rahmadi we get an army on that small island.. i am not even sure they were so many soldiers on the Sahrani campaign. And the scenario is a big "shit".

Also i ask myself how the American forces could miss this outnumbered army on a small island when leaving.. could you explain me huh.gif?huh.gif

The mercenaries campaign isn't well for the beginning too, IA said "defend position" on the first mission but they don't take cover, they just stand in the middle of nowhere waiting for the enemy even if there is some building near that could help them to get out of this trap alive..

The weapons seller is bugged. You have to maintain the enter key and select a weapon with your mouse to keep the trading window. (is BIS trying these missions before releasing the game ?)

The campaign still very far from the Operation Flashpoint original idea. (i mean in the quality of the storyline)

The night google are too much affected by very very very far light source. The light is at 500m of you and you can't even see the ground at 1m when looking it..

The new island is really poor designed where ArmA bring a much powerful engine that allows them to get lots of critical point (valley, bridge, old ruins in mountains/forest..).

I am not the truly pure fan, but i am really sad to see that we are so far from Operation FlashPoint feeling in its time.

There is so much evolution needed in this game. Physics engine really bad, vegetation engine slowing the game, lots of things that aren't in the game (but have been announced so many years ago) and will never be. Lots of new vehicles/aircraft/boats !!! (no big boats in the game without getting addons, argh!!! ) and weapons too.

They have done what they can, and i thank them for that.

First of all I have played ARMA in campaign mode tried alot of different private campaigns multiplayer missions and not so much death matches and so on. Anyway I simply have to say this game sucks.. mainly its all these small buggs and glitches in missions and the AI.

The graphics. Ok, to the developers: It dosn't look better to just add some unsharpness effect to the game graphics. I first tried 1600x1200, it didnt work so well, so i turn it down to 1024x800. Only to figure out that it looks so unsharp that it looks like my guy was almost blind! So im forced to use 1280x1024 graphics with 4 fps in the woods, And why does this game take so much resourses anyway? the graphics aint that good. I introduced the game to a friend of mine and the first thing he said was "Dosnt your guy see very well?"

Secondly; fix the damn AI for god sakes!! When in team switch mode, I select another guy, I can now play that guy and suddenly my evil AI twin takes over the leadership starts spamming what to do to everyone in the group. What the hell is that about?? he even sent 2 of my AIs to mount a damn enemy jeep somewhere once. And when i switch back to fix this mess I order everyone to fall back to formation. The result was that my character orders every ai to follow another guy in the group. Suddenly the AI's starts running after the new "leader" into the mission objective area, ending with all of them getting shot down or badly injured! But there is a fix to it.. oh yes.. you have to spam the move button a couple of times and try the "Fall back into formation" order again util you say "all follow all", then they follow you again. banghead.gif

And then its the missions. for example from the first mission :

-The very first thing i did when i started playing the game was the campaign, and the first thing that happened in the first mission was getting my weapon destroyed because I dismouted in deep water. The AI in my team flollowed me like the zombies they are and I had to swim to shore, 2 of my AIs drowned in the process and my weapons were destroyed except a usless gun with recoil from hell.

I thought that i maybe just should let it go and just delete this crap game when that happend, but I gave it another chance.

Once i figured out that i had to spam to the driver of the boat to move to the shore i finally dismouted where i was suppose to, but this was nothing compared to the rest of the mission..

To sum it up: when i was suppose to destroy 2-3 tanks with satchel charges I only got to destroy one, since I got detected and killed anywhere else i went. Which resulted in that every boat for the main assault got destroyed by the T72s..

I then had to solo about 30 men, 3 tanks and granadelauchers to complete the mission myself. Since the other useless AI in my team got killed by a enemy AI with x-ray eyes that could see through the bushes..

Mission 2 ... Firs of all i had to do this mission 5 times to finally complete it. Because it somehow restarted when i finally got to the village where the general was. I saw the cutscene where i interrogated the general and when that was done the intro for the same mission started and i was back to the start with nooo saves What the hell hapend???.. Anyway I finally nailed it by Shooting down 2 shilkas with a RPGlauncher and driveby some of the enemy AI in the village, with alittle help from one of my squad members and a enemy jeep.I then rushed to the general, I saw the general and the cutscene started, crossed my fingers and wollah it was done.. magic i suppose..

From mission 3 and the end for my arma career ..

This mission first starts of with 3 of my guys getting shot down just about when your leaving the helly. Had to "retry" atleast 4 times before i knew where the shooters was so i could shoot them first and then save the lifes of my 3 AIs. Which in the end turned out to be a waste of time since they didnt do anything when i first cleared the town, got to where the president was only to then figure out that he wasnt there, mission failed and of course i had to do it all over again with noo saves..... thats when i smashed my head to the wall and deleted everything with arma on this computer.

To conclude, there is simply to many bugs in this game, a really bad game mechanic and I don't understand how it can use so much computer resources when the newest Ghost Recon was running smooth with 1600x1200 graphics and it also uses open landscapes like Arma. Overall Arma: Queens Gambit seems like a realy bad rip off from The newest Tom Clansys: Ghost Recon games.

banghead.gifhuh.gif

Ghost Recon does NOT use "open landscapes like ArmA". They may be more "open" than most shooters but they're nowhere near the openess of ArmA. Also GR is highly scripted. All cover and everything is hard coded into the maps and the "AI" is also heavily scripted. They're scripted to use that cover if condition x and y are met. Now, if they were to hardcode cover into ArmA in such a way it'd take forever and you'd get a much much harder performance hit. I highly doubt you'd be able to run even half the scope of the ArmA engine on the GR engine.

For the size of the maps and considering how much detail is in terrain, objects, models, textures, lighting, scale of battles (I'd love to see GR handle literally hundreds of independant AI controled units fighting each other at the same time with a smooth frame rate), the AI isn't that bad.

The AI has its short comings, they're patching it, they're improving it. In the time span since ArmA's release and 1.09 (when it arrives) I bet you the next GR or other Clancy branded (just a name, he doesn't actually care beyond the cheque these days) game would be half done. The next installment of overly scripted play through once or twice just in time for the sequel to come out tripe.

It's not perfect, and it gets me how people expect QG to be the super fix for things too. It's NOT a patch! I'm seriously getting sick of this community having nothing better to do but slam BIS and ArmA. There's also this dream that OFP was the ultimate perfect absolutely nothing bad or wrong ever happened with it game. The majority of the limitations the OFP community moaned and whined about have been recitified in ArmA. Such as multiple turret positions, better colision detection and destruction models. There's plenty more like the much improved scripting commands. People moan about realism, then moan when they make something more realistic like the movements. Sure they're slightly clunky here and there but they're as close to reality as any other game has really managed.

There's improvements to make, but let's focus on helping them improve it rather than bash them saying they suck.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, the "dumb" AI could be considered a realism feature. You get seriously retarded real humans too you know!

while i agree with much of what Catchy has said, i disagree with the Ghost Recon comparison; in fact, the Ghost Recon maps are nothing compared to ArmA. They are small, individual maps with obvious limits (uncrossable cliffs, debris blocking roads, etc.). This has nothing in common with ArmA's huge island that has no boundaries except the open sea.

This "they fire through bushes" whines shall cease.

Of course they fire through bushes : they have seen you go hinding behind in the first place! A bush doesn't stop bullets. They see you hide, they shoot just in case. You're still behind? Too bad, you died.

There are things to complain about in this game, but getting killed because of this is not part of these things.

I just don't get it why some people think that QG should have been the "BIG DEAL, THE BIG PATCH" etc.

It was clear that it is an addon which brings some new Units/Objects/Islands and 2 new Campaigns.

There was never the word of fixing problems etc.

Sure, the Mercenaries aren't that good, but funny somehow.

The QG Campaign is nicely done and Porto is fun to play some little Missions on, also I noticed that the AI isn't that dumb in Patroling on streets any more. Or maybe it's just me, I dunno wink_o.gif

15€ for that, it's ok! No need to complain.

It's just the wrong attitude to expect QG to be that allmight patch, which it never was! wink_o.gif

What's that about "Well done, please go ahead!" huh.gif

Another expansion? Bigger and better?? With a lot more new units??? Sounds interesting!

My two cents for what it's worth.  Thumbs up to Bohemia for going to the trouble of making the extra missions/addons and a big thumbs down for creating campaigns with such God awful dialogue.  I cringe at the poor script and general use of English throughout the missions.  It's on a par with independent OFP mission makers around the globe - not of a professional software house! Please put more effort into this next time.  I'm sure members of the community would be happy to lend a critical eye/ear during beta testing.

Ghost Recon does NOT use "open landscapes like ArmA". They may be more "open" than most shooters but they're nowhere near the openess of ArmA. Also GR is highly scripted. All cover and everything is hard coded into the maps and the "AI" is also heavily scripted. They're scripted to use that cover if condition x and y are met. Now, if they were to hardcode cover into ArmA in such a way it'd take forever and you'd get a much much harder performance hit. I highly doubt you'd be able to run even half the scope of the ArmA engine on the GR engine.

For the size of the maps and considering how much detail is in terrain, objects, models, textures, lighting, scale of battles (I'd love to see GR handle literally hundreds of independant AI controled units fighting each other at the same time with a smooth frame rate), the AI isn't that bad.

The AI has its short comings, they're patching it, they're improving it. In the time span since ArmA's release and 1.09 (when it arrives) I bet you the next GR or other Clancy branded (just a name, he doesn't actually care beyond the cheque these days) game would be half done. The next installment of overly scripted play through once or twice just in time for the sequel to come out tripe.

Ok, about the ghost recon thing it was just my impression of the SF campaign, it was the first thing that went through my mind when i started QG SF campagn. It was a little bad to compare those two games i admit that. But about the graphics, i still have to say that adding some blur/ unsharpness effect dosnt make the graphics better.

Anyway considering the AI , it dosnt work, theres still alot of buggs commanding your team or getting command by a teamleader. I got tons of examples throughout the time iwe played arma where the AI fails

It's not perfect, and it gets me how people expect QG to be the super fix for things too. It's NOT a patch! I'm seriously getting sick of this community having nothing better to do but slam BIS and ArmA. There's also this dream that OFP was the ultimate perfect absolutely nothing bad or wrong ever happened with it game. The majority of the limitations the OFP community moaned and whined about have been recitified in ArmA. Such as multiple turret positions, better colision detection and destruction models. There's plenty more like the much improved scripting commands. People moan about realism, then moan when they make something more realistic like the movements. Sure they're slightly clunky here and there but they're as close to reality as any other game has really managed.

There's improvements to make, but let's focus on helping them improve it rather than bash them saying they suck.

Won't answer for "omg stop whining" under a post that has the topic "your Feedback on Queen's Gambit". Tho if they want my tip for improvement it will be; fix the buggs in the game.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, the "dumb" AI could be considered a realism feature. You get seriously retarded real humans too you know!

If they are so retarded like the AI in game they wouldn't be in the army, but in a school/closed building for special people, kinda like the mental institution..

This "they fire through bushes" whines shall cease.

Of course they fire through bushes : they have seen you go hinding behind in the first place! A bush doesn't stop bullets. They see you hide, they shoot just in case. You're still behind? Too bad, you died..".

You probably dint understand what i ment or i was explaining it a little badly. Anyway, what i ment was that the enemy AI was behind the bush my group was running towards cover and i could see shots comming from the bush shooting every ai in my group. I order some of them to attack and the rest to take cover. They responded by taking 2 or 3 U turns, not quite sure what to do or where to take cover and they ended up dead.

About the merc campain, the merc campain gave back the good old feeling of the great game opfor. The merc campagin dint seem like a bad opfor tweak like the Arma campaign and the Rahmadi Conflict campagin. It was realy a great pice of work, but to bad they have to use the AI built from the game mechanics.

Catchy, speaking of thread title, this is called "Your Feedback on Queen's Gambit", not "Your whining on Armed Assault".

If you have problem with sharpness I suggest you disable post process effects and max out AA.

Also, if you have LCD monitor, the problem might be in your monitor's native resolution. If you run under it, the overall image quality will suffer.

Solution ? Either buy a new PC or raise resolution and put down all other details.

QG sounds and looks good. I just realised it was available from Sporcket since yesterday! biggrin_o.gif Downloading Now.

Liked Royal Flush. The Ramadi(sp?) campaign is garbage.When you have to assault the town, your squad is taken out almost right when you step off the chopper, the weapon they give you is shit. What good is a scope if it's non-functional. I had a great weapon from the last mission. Why couldn't I keep that ?

Whats left of my squad wont engage anything, they just crawl around ignoring orders. Could I get some of the other sides spec ops? Just leave my retard squad dead in a ditch.

Finally got my copy of QG from Play.com. Can't wait to give it a try.

I think this expansion could maybe be compared with the Red Hammer update to OFP. There are som new units, campaigns and missions in there. There's however nothing groundbraking new like Resistance was for OFP. Maybe BIS has another expansion in the works further down the road. Who knows. I for one can't wait to try it out properly

does the expansion update the game add stuff and fix bugs like the Resistance expansion did? If so, what is the version number, and when is this out in English?!

It doesn't fix any bugs.

I don't know about the other versions, but the Czech IDEA Games version is both in Czech and English.

maybe i expected too much from it ... but my copy is trashed already ...

SS9: we're all waiting on patch v1.09 (v1.1 maybe?), so far Queer's Gambit is just an expansion that works like a "mod".

BTW: does anyone know how to remove that ugly loadscreens from QG and to put originals back in. Now my ArmA looks like damn Tony Hawk Skater with all the graffitti...

Just got my copy yesterday, jezus what a mess i cant even get past the first mission in the royal flush campaign because my commander keeps getting hit. But i guess you cant fix a addon if the original game is still broken.

Example: Me with an AK and an enemy 50 meters away with an AK, i go thru 1 clip and hit nothing he shoots me between the eyes with one bullet thru a cloud of grenade smoke.

You got alot of AI work to do before Arma 2 is released guys.

However Porto Rules yay.gif

Example: Me with an AK and an enemy 50 meters away with an AK, i go thru 1 clip and hit nothing he shoots me between the eyes with one bullet thru a cloud of grenade smoke.

You got alot of AI work to do before Arma 2 is released guys.

However Porto Rules yay.gif

Or you may rethink your aproach on the missions cause somehow that doesnt happen if you use proper cover and aim well... wink_o.gif