Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

BushWars Mod

Today ( 30.09.2007 ) we are announcing the first Bush Wars Mod Release.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LogoBI_black.png

Overview:

1. What is Bush Wars Mod about?

2. Who is addressed with the Mod ?

3. Why open a thread in the BI-Forums?

4. Where can I report Bugs, Issues and other Add-on specific problems?

5. Actual status reports

6. <span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Actual screens/renders</span>

7. <span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Latest releases</span>

8. Latest missions

9. Further releases

10. <span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Support</span>

11. Forwarded Links

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>1. What is Bush Wars Mod about?</span></span>

-> Bush Wars Mod informationpage

Bush Wars Mod is based on the South African – Angolan Border War (known as the bushwar). It was a guerrilla type conflict which finally escalated into conventional warfare in the late 1980’s. The Bushwar lasted from 1966 until 1989, a total of 23 years, making it one of Africa's longest conflicts.

The Bushwar was fought in Northern Namibia (former South West Africa), and in Southern Angola - the so-called "Operational Area" or "Border". Sporadic and related skirmishes against Anti-SADF forces occurred throughout the sub-continent in places such as SW Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe (former Rhodesia), Mozambique, Lesotho, Swaziland, former Homelands within the current South Africa; and South Africa itself.

Operation Savannah was the 1st large cross-border operation of the SADF, and the 1st semi-conventional conflict it was involved in since WW2. The purpose of Ops Savannah was to clear Southern Angola of the MPLA presence, and support UNITA to secure the Southern and Eastern part of the country so it could have a winning change in the elections scheduled for 11 November 1975. Amidst the civil war still raging on election day, and the MPLA having driven the opposition out of Luanda, it declared independence on this day. Portugal recognised the independence and Agostinho Neto became the first President. The Angolans and Cuba often claimed that they had driven the SADF out of Angola. The facts however are that the small SADF taskforce advanced a distance of 3000km's into Angola in just 33 days; and was never tasked to take the whole of the country. The SADF would have been able to militarily take the whole of Angola, but it was not in its interest to do so while the UNITA proxy forces could secure the south. Holding the whole country 3-times the size of Iraq, under prolonged military control would not have been possible under the circumstances either. The SADF won all battles and skirmishes apart from the temporary retreat at the battle of Ebo upon which the Cubans and Angolans place their claims. Both the FNLA and UNITA did not recognise the MPLA declared independence, and with covert help form SA and the USA, the civil war raged on.

With the MPLA being backed by the Eastern Block and UNITA by the West, the conflict took on the shade of a Cold War conflict. SA had the secret blessing from the CIA that it will covertly support the SADF operation, but USA ignorance on Angola and Africa, as well as the embarrassment of withdrawal from Vietnam still fresh in American minds, made it pull out of the Operation on 19/12/75 when the USA Senate stopped all anti-MPLA support, leaving SA to fight it alone. UNITA was given a strong foothold with this operation and with ongoing SADF and Western support throughout the Bushwar it remained the dominant freedom movement in South Angola until the end of the Bushwar. The situation in Angola however deteriorated from 1975, plummeting the country into a bitter civil war that lasted until August 2002, well beyond the end of the South African Bushwar.

Cuba started sending military support to Angola as early as 1975. The purpose of the growing Cuban support was Fidel Castro's policy of spreading "popular people's revolution" in 3rd world countries, and after his failure to ignite such revolutions in Latin America, he focused on Africa, where the notorious Che Guevara was also sent in the '60's. By March 1976 there were 36000 voluntary Cuban military personnel in Angola. By 1989 the figure grew to 55000, and an approximate total of 350 000 Cubans did military service in Angola.

South Africa's reasons for involvement in this conflict, was its fight against the liberation movements of SWAPO in Namibia, MPLA in Angola, ANC and PAC in South Africa, FRELIMO in Mozambique, and ZANLA and ZIPRA in Zimbabwe. Apart from the fact that all these liberation movements were supported by the Marxist Eastern Block, the movements fought to get rid of the colonial yoke in the subcontinent.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>2. Who is addressed with this Mod ?</span></span>

The Mod is really addressed to all the people interested in African Warfare theme as well as those interested in using our add-ons to make African war type missions for the community.

We aim to give the community something different as well as an African War experience for the ArmA gamming community. Our add-ons are based on weapons, armour, air and soldiers around the 1980-1989 era of the war. A lot of the models are of actual weapons and armour only seen and used in the Bushwar. We are also making Eastern Block weapons that are not available in the ArmA game eg AK-47, AK-47s, AKM, AKMS, SKS, SKSD etc. as well as older variants of weapons used in Africa.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>3. Why open a thread in the BI-Forums?</span></span>

We decided to create a Mod thread in the forums to create a better exchange with the community as well as to get more detailed and serious feedback from you.

Our goal is to fix and perfect our add-ons by way of feedback from the community. We want everyone to have fun playing with our add-ons in ArmA and maybe for some of you to make missions. Therefore we need you. Up to 400 eye‘s see more than 8 would to help us fix all bugs.

( seeing more at chapter 4 )

We also need some talented modellers which have some experience with modelling.

We know that the community isn‘t that huge but more help means we can create more add-ons quicker and better and meet the higher standards of ArmA.

( see more at chapter 10 )

We won’t open a discussion thread.

The reason is that we think there is nothing to discuss but if you have suggestions you are welcome to offer them at our Mod Forum under the following link:

Bush Wars mod forum

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>4. Where can I report Bugs, Issues and other Add-on specific problems?</span></span>

We will appreciate everyone reporting their issues and problems with our add-ons in this thread.

A better solution would be if you post your feedback, suggestions etc. in our Home Forums.

You will find our Mod Forum with the following link:

Bush Wars mod forum

We will collect all serious entry’s and will adjust/fix the particular add-on/s.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>5. Actual status reports</span></span>

If you search for the most recent news about the mod and its activities please visit our Homepage:

Bush Wars Homepage

We ask that you please be patient with the Mod Team, If you don’t find a new update about the Mod every week it does not mean that Mod isn't active.

We’re working hard in the background to complete the add-ons and the mod.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>6. Actual screens/renders</span></span>

-> Bush Wars Homepage

puma_3.jpg

"The Pumas are taking a bit longer than I thought. I will release 2 versions.

1. The AS330 PUMA version in Fire Force/COIN configuration with an FNMAG mounted on port side and capacity for 12 soldiers and 3 crew.

2. The South African uprated version of the PUMA named the ORYX in a CASAVAC/Search and Rescue configuration. Capacity 6 soldiers, 4 wounded, 2 crew. (Injured can heal at heli as well as arm and rearm)."

-> more about it

CuitoCuanavale_pre02_small.jpg

bigger solution

"The shown Map is just a placeholder to get a view on the topography of the area.

Berghoff is also going to donate some African trees, shrubs, bushes etc. for our map."

-> more about it

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>7. Latest Release</span></span>

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Alouette II beta</span>

_5MB

_v.1.5

<span style='color:darkred'>_required Pilot + Star Pistol</span>

_download: Alouette II beta

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Alouette III beta</span>

_15MB

_v.1.5

_4 Versions : C-Kar, G-Kar, SOM, Search&Resure

<span style='color:darkred'>_required Pilot + Star Pistol</span>

_download: Alouette III

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>8. Latest Missions</span></span>

-> Bush Wars Mod missionspage

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>The Burden I:</span>

_by NBSVieiraPT

_42 Kb

<span style='color:darkred'>_required Alouette II beta , Pilot, Star Pistol</span>

_download: The Burden I

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Delivery:</span>

_by Rellikki

_1 MB

<span style='color:darkred'>_required Alouette III beta , Pilot, Star Pistol</span>

_download: Delivery

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>9. Releases</span></span>

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>Star Pistol 9mm</span>

_1,98 MB

_v.1.5

_download: Star Pistol 9mm

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>SAAF Pilot</span>

_11,6 MB

_v.1.5

<span style='color:darkred'>_required Star Pistol</span>

_download: SAAFPilot

<span style='color:DarkSlateGray'>GUI:</span>

_1MB

_v.1.5

_download: Bush Wars GUI v1.5 Beta

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>10. Support</span></span>

-> Bush Wars Mod recrutingpage

As we mentioned before the biggest help is if you report the issues and bugs found in our add-ons to the forum so that we can fix them and finalise the add-ons.

We also need some support/members to actively partake and assist us with the development of this Mod.

What we currently searching for the following.

- 1 skinner ( retextures of existing ArmA add-ons to Angolan military colour schemes )

- 1 coder/scripter ( to develop Scripts/configs specific to Bush Wars Mod )

If you are interested and have O2 modeling experience please email us at bushwars@hotmail.com

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>11. Forwarded Links</span></span>

Bush Wars Homepage

Bush Wars mod forum

Bush Wars Mission Page

Bush Wars Recruting page

……………………………………………

Armed-Assault.net Topic

Hx3 Topic (German)

ArmedAssault.info Topic

Mapfact Topic (ger)

Regards,

your Bush Wars Mod Team.

Both my father and uncles were stationed in Angola in the mid 60's, im very glad you are releasing this mod for Arma, because the OFP screenies looked wonderful.

Congrats to all, this mod has a lot of potential.

surely this should be in the Mod discussion forum NOT the completed Mod forum. I am looking forward to this very much. I just hope it doesn't get too political

Impi

AlouetteII - what can I say ? Beautifully made aircraft!

And I only just now noticed the new AlouetteIII addon.. Hadn't seen it 'advertised' anywhere else?

Good Job on these - they are great.

Looking forward to the mod alot, seeing the team lineup this should become one of the highlights for ARMA.  In my eyes this will become the Tonal successor for ARMA (Go Ebud Go smile_o.gif ).

The mods theme is very interesting and I always waited for the OFP Bushfire mod, that unfortunatly never saw the light of day for the general public.  The conlict is so full of opportunities for mission making, with variety warranted through the length of the conflict alone.

I also just watched "Hotel Rwanda" and the doc "Ghosts of Rwanda", so I am quite eager to be able to recreate the horrors and heroism that occured there.  I know its not this mods theme, but being a african theatre is good enough for me.  Another theme that springs in mind is the Liberia conflict.

Anyway, best of luck with it smile_o.gif

Edit:Will you be making african civilians, specially a woman model? An african conflict always had tons of civilians running around. I dont know about the BushWars, but in other african conflicts they also took up arms (Liberia).

I know that Ebud has this idea long ago, almost since OFP beggining (for me, old times of Colonial Wars Mod). Go ahead, it is a great ideia.

Just tested the choppers and units released so far and they are great, no bugs found wink_o.gif

the GUI isn´t adapted for widescreen use....

maybe thats something for the next release?

the choppers are very nice though, even if i think that the Alouette III with FNMAG has a bit high rate of fire...

smile_o.gif

looks to be a very nice mod though smile_o.gif

Just tested the Aluette II & III a bit in the editor. This is just awesome! The handling is like a charm. Really great work! thumbs-up.gif

Didn't install the GUI so far.

Great work!

Keep it up.

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

I must say this is great addon however in the Allouette when you shoot with the side guns the bullets don't seem to come from the gun but from the propeller sort of. You also should consider removing the need to "install" the GUI and instead make it as an addon. This is good because many don't want to have mods installed and want to have theme separate instead...

the choppers are very nice though, even if i think that the Alouette III with FNMAG has a bit high rate of fire...

I think the high ROF makes it useful when engaging on the move and not only for covering during insertion/extraction.

And the FN MAG do have the ability of 950/1000 rpm (without/with external feedaid) in RL so why not?  smile_o.gif

Edit:

@the_shadow

Hörde att dom Hkp 4:or som eventuellt gar till Nordic Battlegroup skall beväpnas (sidorna vid dörrarna + rampen). Man kanske skulle fraga vilket gastryck som föredras? Fast jag har knappt nan kontakt med lokala hemvärnare längre...

Non-swedish speaking people don't have to worry, nothing important and not involving you. Just be happy.  smile_o.gif

I played the BWM on BattleField Vietnam, and if it wasn't for the dumb AI, it would be my favorite mod for just screwing around. Never really was a fan of BFV, but that mod was creative and original.

I'll definitely have to give this one a go. Looks nice from here.

Both my father and uncles were stationed in Angola in the mid 60's, im very glad you are releasing this mod for Arma, because the OFP screenies looked wonderful.

Congrats to all, this mod has a lot of potential.

I quote that in every way smile_o.gif

I know that Ebud has this idea long ago, almost since OFP beggining (for me, old times of Colonial Wars Mod). Go ahead, it is a great ideia.

Just tested the choppers and units released so far and they are great, no bugs found wink_o.gif

This is Obmar's baby, I'm just tagging along smile_o.gif

Busy downloading right now. Brilliant! D'you think this could mean that Chimurenga/Rhodesia is just around the corner with all this model-making talent hard at work? Must go and blow the dust off Contact and Contact 2 in the bottom of the bookcase...

yup they are great, no doubt about it.

But there are bugs.

When you fire the mg inside the chopper, you see that the tracers do not come from the gun it self. They come from the air on left side.

IMO i think the sounds are very low. Should be higher. Put a passing by alouette 3 with "flyheight 60" and you will hear it like as if it was far away from you Also the sound inside the chopper seems to be the same that the one outside, Same volume..

Apart from the sounds and the tracers i can do loopings with it, something i could never do with a real alouette 3 crazy_o.gif (but that might be ArmA engine fault)

You are right, i've said that after playing the demo mission. There are a few remaining bugs, already pointed i've noticed too (tracers, low sounds) and there are get in problems for player in alouette III but i believe this small bugs should be easy to fix.

I've noticed the misaligned tracers too but it only seems to be on the Alouette III with cannon, the version with a MAG seems okay. I've come across a couple of other bugs also:

Parts of cockpit have textures that are partially transparent. There's an example picture below taken from the Alouette II, but the problem also occurs in the Alouette III's cockpit.

bushwrs1nb7.th.jpg

Also, the model doesn't appear to be affected by shadows either. The chopper casts a shadow on other objects fine, but the shadows of other objects, and the choppers' own shadows don't effect its surface.

Textures and models are great though guys, and I'm really looking forward to more of your addons; especially the islands/environments.

When you fire the mg inside the chopper, you see that the tracers do not come from the gun it self. They come from the air on left side.

just curious, but have seen any chopper that doesn't do that?

Try any of them and I think they all do the same.

Thank you for all the advice and bug reporting. There are some I will fix and some that are simply ArmA bugs.

a) Ebud, you are correct! The FNMAG tracer path is an ArmA bug, the faster the vehicle moves the more spread out along the side it appears. I hope they fix that. The high rate of fire is a fact. With out that the gunner will not be able to hit anything from a moving helicopter. Also the FNMAG has a 950-1100 rounds per minute rate of fire in full auto.

b) The cockpit glass dammage I will fix up as soon as the final version of O2 is released. The script engine on the RC version does not work and I need it to make the .rvmat fuselage damage swap. To remidy this in the meantime I used the "Damage Half", "Damage Full" script to show damage. So the glass and fuselage damage appear simultaniously. Will fix this.

c) The sound is an easy one and I will ask DigiA to change that in the config.

d) As for the helicopter being able to "loop", that might be a problem with the GEO LOD. I made the Rotor component a bit bigger and 10% of total weight in the GEOMETRY LOD. This makes the flight dynamics of the heli more stable as I noted that it acts as a wing. If I make the rotor in the GEOMETRY LOD smaller the heli tends to dive quicker in turns and is not so stable in flight. I will play around with it a bit and see what I can do.

e) The transparency of the Instrument panel I will fix, thanks for pointing that out, my fault , forgot to add a .smdi texture to the .rvmat file.

f) MiG, thanks for pointing out the "Get in" problem will fix that, its a radius config setting.

Please let us know of any other bugs and thank you all for the assistance, that is why we are releasing betas for testing. To get them perfect for the release.

alouIII_scene.jpg

we are getting there now just gotta find some...

TANGOs !!

that almost looks like a photo and I hear that in ArmA II the scenes are as close to real as they can get... next thing I'm going to need Ebud to water the plants and members to make scorpions and those damned "Red Roman" spiders...   biggrin_o.gif  just joking

so the south african FNMAG has a higher ROF then the one we use here in sweden... didnt know that..

the ones we use only have a 650-800 rounds per minute... (though i have fired one wich had about 1200 but that was due to some malfunction, and it was pretty painfull to fire)

let me ask, is the south african FNMAG´s built by FN in belgium or license built in SA?

the one we use are original belgian ones...

Excellent stuff Bush Wars team.

Alot of ArmA players I know (myself included) have family, friends or ourselves where involved in the Border War. I am glad it is getting some attention.

The helicopters are great for droping and supporting small infantry groups. I tested them out in the forest south Masbete and they perform better than the little bird (and give a bit more protection).

Again, thanks lads for the excellent stuff.