Sign in to follow this  
Iron+Cross

Pavlov's Dog (the Future of VBS/Arma?)

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Pavlov's Dogs</span>

Check this out its EEERY

its like a real ATAT.. crazy_o.gif

Its called "BIG DOG"

robot_bdogjpg.jpg

Stats. (Some vairy from recent field tests acording to multiple sites Science & robotics sites.)

Big Dog:

Max Speed:            3.3-6 Mph.

Max climb angle:      35-45 degree slope.

Max Cargo Weight:   120-160lbs.

Jump Hight:             2-3.5ft.

Length:                  1 Meter.

Hight:                    7 Decimetres.

Unloaded Weight:     75kg.

(Can Operate Indipendantly)

Here is a youtube video of it.

BIG DOG Testing being Kicked over..

But to get full quality video go here

BDI website BIG DOG INFO+Video

its FREAKY crazy_o.gif

here is a render of final product, BigDog_pr_small.jpg

Here is a link to some Freaky "Übermäßige Waffen"

Defence Tech robots that kill

Whats your thoughts on this? im not saying anything yet as i mite sound like an old fart.. goodnight.gif ..but damn it! Its Just not Cricket! confused_o.gif

p.s any ideas on how to take some of these metal beasts down if we were playing arma as OPFOR?

p.p.s any one remember Pavlov's Dog story? biggrin_o.gif

I think standard AP or even FMJ rifle rounds simply penetrating would be more than enough to disable some pretty vital systems in that thing.

Get him with his instincts:

sausagerobot.jpg

Robo - Sausage !

Take your last bite !

Seriously, I wonder when they will realize that a simple and local limited EMP pulse will turn all of that nifty hightech toys they are coming up with lately into high-tech nobrainers.

I wonder why noone here at teh forums played around with it

yet biggrin_o.gif

Are you afraid ? xmas_o.gif

Just set up a number of large capacitors and wire the area. Once robodog comes in he´ll have a mindblowing experience.

You can also use magnets from 12´´ harddrives to create a an EMP field that will knock out everything coming into it´s vincinity.

For other approaches buy the book "Electronics Gadgets for the Evil Genius" (insert evil laugh here)

or look up some methods of creating and buying stuff for an EMP pulse device here:

EMP/HERF/Shock Pulse Generators

Don´t try this at home tounge2.gif

Iron+Cross, you seem to me to be the kind of person that wears a tinfoil hat to stop the CIA from reading your thoughts.

That or you simply have way to much free time and lack a productive outlet.

Iron+Cross, you seem to me to be the kind of person that wears a tinfoil hat to stop the CIA from reading your thoughts.

That or you simply have way to much free time and lack a productive outlet.

Indeed.

And also:

He kicked it? That was a nudge, if he would have kicked it, it would probably have fallen over.

For reference, a good fighter can kick with a force of about 10kN, a normal person could probably do about 2.5-5kN depending on what technique they're using. (Some doesn't train martial arts, but watch movies... tounge2.gif)

Haha, if i saw that on a real battlefield i would most likely laugh myself to dead, it looks ridiculous, like 2 drunks in 1 suit who cant decide where to go. tounge2.gif

Wasn't this posted a fairly long time ago? 'cos... I've seen that thing before. huh.gif

Anyways, I think it's quite handy, atleast once they silence the motors. It can carry a fair bit of stuff so far, and it's just a prototype. It runs on gasoline, and is propably somewhat easy to fix when finished. There isn't much to do for a shot mule; with this thing, you just need a tool kit.

As I said, it's a prototype. Making a quad walker that stable is quite good of an achievement in my opinion, as stabilizing the whole thing requires a helluva lot of calculations; thus, there aren't many walkers/runners in the world at the moment. As for the kick... I think that's pretty good, as it's able to negate impacts at a human comparable level. I doubt that Iraqi insurgents will start fielding karate masters if these things get deployed.

Haha, if i saw that on a real battlefield i would most likely laugh myself to dead, it looks ridiculous, like 2 drunks in 1 suit who cant decide where to go. tounge2.gif

Lol, indeed, looks like two backends of a horse/donkey-suit put together!

Wasn't Pavlov's Dog's a Psychology expirement? Interesting choice of names ...

Why do they have to go through the trouble of making this thing walk on four legs when a simple robotic tracked vehicle could do the same thing.

Why do they have to go through the trouble of making this thing walk on four legs when a simple robotic tracked vehicle could do the same thing.

Because it is very slow, and therefor an easy target.

rofl.gif wtf is that. lmfao have you seen it walk.. very scary crazy_o.gif

I like the video of it "bounding" along.

The noise of them reminds me of the way a spider tank thing from some novel set in the Terminator story was described. Lol.

scary walking, annoying engine sound, people would hear this coming nearby so it aint so stealthy yet as soldiers could be.. tounge2.gif

Dunno if it can take a rpg round and make it like a tank could..but cool project anyways.

Not very useful I think. A wheeled or tracked vehicle will beat it on most terrain easily. On slopes this has the advantage that it can keep its body straight by adjusting the length of the legs. Another advantage is that a machine walking on legs can be nicer to the terrain (turn a tracked vehicle and it will tear the terrain). But the weight of the machine is actually spread to a larger area on wheeled/tracked vehicles and this is a disadvantage of a machine walking on legs. It means it will sink into the terrain more easily.

A Finnish company made a forest harvester machine which walks on legs (steered by a human), but that machine isn't in production as the machines on wheels are generally much better, and cheaper to make. Also the demand isn't high for these kinds of machines. Anyway, interesting research and prototypes were made, which is enough at this stage.

plustech-harvester.jpg

Here is a link to a video showing that machine walking down a slope:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.p....machine

Some prize the company received for making it:

http://www.ict-prize.org/winners....SESSID=

For some special use a walking forest harvester machine could be used, but in general its practicality, and thus also usefulness, is limited compared to the machines on wheels. Basically, if you want to collect trees from your forest without damaging the terrain too much, I suggest to use a horse for the job.

My vision is that these kinds of 'walking machine' products will never reach commercial profitability on large scale, thus if such a machine is marketed, the marketing has to be targeted on some very specific task. Or it has to be an entertainment product.

There's an amazing new video of it out: (New March 2008):

After that make sure you watch this clip made shortly afterwards:

Seriously cool, possibly the best thing I've ever seen wink_o.gif

this thing reminds me about the new METAL GEAR in MGS4 rofl.gif

Red Planet anyone? When movies come to life! wink_o.gif

Yes, I can see some parallels...

I think it's rather scary, with the switched leggs and the missing head... I don't want to meet it in the darknes of a forest or something... crazy_o.gif

I won't buy it since it's got no mouth to pick up my sunday morning newspaper!!! rofl.gif

But, that Lumberjack machine looks scary... wow_o.gif

This one made me laugh:D

I posted the exact video a few posts up, but everyone refrained from clicking on it sad_o.gif

I posted the exact video a few posts up, but everyone refrained from clicking on it sad_o.gif

Not true smile_o.gif

To continue my earlier post. The difference between the dog and the lumberjack machine is that the lumberjack machine can be used for actual work right now. So what I'm saying is that it is a much better product than the dog.

It is not at all clear for what the dog could be used. I am not at all convinced that it would be a usable machine at a battlefield, for example. As mentioned already, a tracked vehicle will easily beat it. The added complexity of the legs does not bring enough usability reasons to mass-produce that kind of machines. It is very hard to imagine work tasks in which the robo-dog would be better than a tracked vehicle. For carrying stuff, certainly not good. For disarming bombs, certainly not good. To act as a platform for weapons, certainly not good. Just to mention a few points in which it clearly loses.

The nature of the robo-dog is that its legs are in constant movement. Compare to the lumberjack machine, which only moves its legs if needed. Actually, the legged lumberjack machine could be used for the tasks which I mentioned in the previous paragraph. It is a stabile platform unlike the robo-dog. But still a tracked vehicle beats it, and so does a wheeled vehicle. The added complexity and cost is just not worth it, because there is no usability advantage in most use case scenarios.

It might look funny and "cool" but if it can't compete with its features against wheeled and tracked vehicles, it can be said to be a product dead on arrival, in its current form. At this time it looks like it is a university research project and nothing more. Unlike the lumberjack machine which can be used for actual work: it could be used to immediately replace the wheeled and tracked vehicles which are doing a similar work task. Although that wouldn't be financially smart.

Of course robotics will advance in the future, and practical applications will be developed. But the robo-dog looks more like a problem than a solution, compared to competing technologies. Maybe someone will develop something useful out of it some day.

Loved it on the swing, very funny!

Cant see it ever being of use. Im pretty sure a horse or donkey would be so much better and a hell of a lot quieter, great leg and balance technology though, well be very useful for the disabled instead of a machine for war!

To continue my earlier post. The difference between the dog and the lumberjack machine is that the lumberjack machine can be used for actual work right now. So what I'm saying is that it is a much better product than the dog.

It is not at all clear for what the dog could be used. I am not at all convinced that it would be a usable machine at a battlefield, for example. As mentioned already, a tracked vehicle will easily beat it. The added complexity of the legs does not bring enough usability reasons to mass-produce that kind of machines. It is very hard to imagine work tasks in which the robo-dog would be better than a tracked vehicle. For carrying stuff, certainly not good. For disarming bombs, certainly not good. To act as a platform for weapons, certainly not good. Just to mention a few points in which it clearly loses.

The nature of the robo-dog is that its legs are in constant movement. Compare to the lumberjack machine, which only moves its legs if needed. Actually, the legged lumberjack machine could be used for the tasks which I mentioned in the previous paragraph. It is a stabile platform unlike the robo-dog. But still a tracked vehicle beats it, and so does a wheeled vehicle. The added complexity and cost is just not worth it, because there is no usability advantage in most use case scenarios.

It might look funny and "cool" but if it can't compete with its features against wheeled and tracked vehicles, it can be said to be a product dead on arrival, in its current form. At this time it looks like it is a university research project and nothing more. Unlike the lumberjack machine which can be used for actual work: it could be used to immediately replace the wheeled and tracked vehicles which are doing a similar work task. Although that wouldn't be financially smart.

Of course robotics will advance in the future, and practical applications will be developed. But the robo-dog looks more like a problem than a solution, compared to competing technologies. Maybe someone will develop something useful out of it some day.

Hmm, could be used to carry something across a minefield... Though, should it take a bad step... I bet the results will be funny to watch... or not...