Sign in to follow this  
.kju

Landscape Almost Real

I think their point here is that in all of the BIS games this is the first time where they have been able to recreate the terrain environment at a 1:1 scale. If so then they did a pretty good job, and it doesn't look bad. I know AI can see through bushes and all that but I think thats more of an AI problem and not so much to do with the terrain. Most of the forests I've been in have had fairly smooth ground that doesn't change drastically. The terrain wouldn't really provide great cover but the foliage and trees might.

So I guess its just a little disconcerting to me when BIS shows an advance in their game engine and everyone shoots it down like they are wasting their time. Come on guys, we are used to playing on cartoonish scaled down versions of satellite terrain, resulting in weird ass terrain (Sahrani mountains) this will be more realistic.

I'm not sure we're reading the same topic then because I don't see a ton of "shooting down" happening in this thread. What I see more of is constructive criticism, observation and input based off the current ArmA model.

The fact is that there is very little information to go on anyway. I think more of this topic as a hypothetical discussion rather than factual personally which was the basis for my own comments.

At the end of the day, I just want whatever environment I'm in to actually feel like a living ecosystem, not some map painting. I love eye candy (who doesn't) but I'll sacrifice some of it in the interests of immersion any day.

Screenie looks nice...

However will the new Engine be able to model rivers and streams actually running downhill? Water above sealevel?Arma and ofp cant...

And i think rivers and streams are very strategic locations that shouldnt be missing !

whistle.gif

Water above sealevel?Arma and ofp cant...

And i think rivers and streams are very strategic locations that shouldnt be missing !

whistle.gif

There is already possible to make island whit standing water lake/pond above waterline . Check that one new island addons

there. To all the rest I agree

What i would like to see, is better wooden areas and something for the grass.

So far grass is for visual and bugging off players, if you lay you cant see anything and while you think you are "hiding" enemyes can see you from far far away.

Is there way to make people who are layed down on grass less detecable from far away? like make it bit blurry or something.

Also, get rid of flat grounds... really..

What i would like to see, is better wooden areas and something for the grass.

So far grass is for visual and bugging off players, if you lay you cant see anything and while you think you are "hiding" enemyes can see you from far far away.

Is there way to make people who are layed down on grass less detecable from far away? like make it bit blurry or something.

Also, get rid of flat grounds... really..

There is such a thing, some months ago I suggested in these forums that there should be a elevated overlay texture rendered at distance for concealment of infantry and whatnot, and what do you know? next patch had that!

biggrin_o.gif

Not sure if BIS took the idea from my suggestion, but in any case it's the best solution I can see without having to kill your GPU, hopefully though BIS will find a better way of implementing concealment over distance in grass.

This terrain looks incredibly realistic in design.

Just in the distribution between woodlands and grasslands, the size and shape of fields, etc.

I can't wait.

Dont you dare change the engine !!!!

Its the best there is, and the creating of realistic terrain is possible since ofp 1.0

Tryed the crysis demo yesterday and sure its a nice game, but it is something completly different.

There is nothing to compare OFP, ARMA or VBS with !!!

Only thing i'm wondering about with the BROS. is what the deal is with codemasters, who has the rights? What happened, fooled by the slick multi million dollar business dudes ??

Later,

Allie

...Arma is very pretty but a little dull compared to RL.

But x-times better than OFP which is looks IMHO very "pale".

Crysis will never see such big battles, as in ArmA or ArmA2.

We don`t have super computers at home, that can handle that job atm.

Well, Crysis SP campaign has some big battles, and damn, it works more flawless than ArmA.

And what about when I see a single bush in the middle of the desert in ArmA, my fps goes down to 5.

In Crysis I see a freaking jungle around me, while the vegetation is much more beautiful and realistically affected by physics like IRL, trees cutting to two, explosions around me, bodies flying with ragdoll, and damn, my fps is still high 50s.

It's just BIS who didn't have time to optimize ArmA engine properly. See lowplants, I see no decrease in visuals, but my FPS is doubled in North Sahrani. BIS leaves optimization for community.

And now back to topic:

It sure does look nice, but will you optimize it so it is actually playable?

...See lowplants, I see no decrease in visuals, but my FPS is doubled in North Sahrani. BIS leaves optimization for community...

Lowplants disables most shader effects on plants, like normal maps. There is a visual difference, but not much for most people.

Still, it looks good enough IMO and the plants probably shouldn't have been given those shading effects in the first place.

Please get back on topic, otherwise it is not worth to restart this discussion after a month.